•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Eclipse Maestro

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Question re. time zone.  My laptop is set for daylight saving time, so my laptop is -6 hours UT.  Is that the correct time zone setting for  the SEM location form, or is it the -7 physical time zones that separate me from UT when I'm on standard time?

I think SEM has automatic time zone detection in the setup.

Jerry

The time zone that shows in the location form is UT -6.

Did you click the button to update it ?

Jerry

#77 banjo1000

banjo1000

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Plano, Texas and Fort Collins, CO

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

I'm testing with Solar Eclipse Maestro 1.8.6v1.

My Canon 6D settings from camera menus:

Mirror lockup: OFF

Live view shoot: Disable

Silent LV shoot: Disable

Despite these settings, I find that when I use TAKEBST and request 2 or more (generally, I get 1 more as many have reported), the files tag information reports:

Drive Mode: Silent continuous shoot.

implying that live view was turned on in Silent Mode 1, and the mirror was locked up.  I don't recall seeing this behavior with earlier version. In earlier versions, I had to specific enable LV and Silent LV mode 1 in order for LVPSTART to work.  The only LV command I have in my script is and LVPSTOP before any exposures, but it doesn't seem to suppress Silent shooting.

Another variation on a theme:

TAKEBST,C2,+,00:43.0,6D,4,5.0,100,1,RAW,None,Y,

results in a single exposure NOT silent exposure

Drive Mode: Single shooting

but 

TAKEBST,C2,+,00:43.0,6D,4,5.0,100,2,RAW,None,Y,

results in a silent, continuous burst.

Drive Mode: Silent continuous shoot.

Notice that the number of shots taken were exactly the number requested, not N+1.

Joe

#78 Seldom

Seldom

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Question re. time zone.  My laptop is set for daylight saving time, so my laptop is -6 hours UT.  Is that the correct time zone setting for  the SEM location form, or is it the -7 physical time zones that separate me from UT when I'm on standard time?

I think SEM has automatic time zone detection in the setup.

Jerry

The time zone that shows in the location form is UT -6.

Did you click the button to update it ?

Jerry

Yes andi it shows -6 after time zone update..  But when I load the script its Max Eclipse time agrees with Espenak's book.for my location (Menan ID)..

#79 zackyd

zackyd

Vostok 1

• Loc: Portland, OR. USA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

I am trying to have mirror lock up for images that are longer exposures with 3" wait times and 1.5" MLU but I want to have 1" between frames for those that do not have mirror lock up. 

Do I need to manually add/subtract the time offsets that the script wizards gives me if I want to have dynamic wait times? 

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

#80 banjo1000

banjo1000

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

Can I use SEM to preprogram my flat calibration images?  I think I need to set my 6D dial to "Av", set the Expo comp to -2/3, and then take a burst job  of 500. When I set my dial to Av, SEM fails to see my camera.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a better way to shoot 500 flat images in Burst/Continuous mode?

#81 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

Can I use SEM to preprogram my flat calibration images?  I think I need to set my 6D dial to "Av", set the Expo comp to -2/3, and then take a burst job  of 500. When I set my dial to Av, SEM fails to see my camera.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a better way to shoot 500 flat images in Burst/Continuous mode?

Canon TC80-N3 intervalometer.

Jerry

#82 banjo1000

banjo1000

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

I updated to 186v2.  Seems to have addressed my problem. Apologies for the noise, but perhaps someone else has bumped into this problem too.  

I am using a script line like

TAKEBST,C2,-,00:15.0,6D,1/2000,5.0,100,200,RAW,None,Y,Flat exposures

but I have verified that the dial setting of Av overides the exposure setting in the script.

-Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics