•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are you doing in 2024?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994

Viking 1

• Loc: Akron, OH, USA

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

After reading so much sturm and drang about this year's eclipse, I thought I'd try something different.

In 2024, I will be 79 years old, or not.  In the latter case, my troubles and cares will be over, about any eclipse, or anything at all.   In the former case, I've got plans!

I intend to view the eclipse. rain or shine, from Pleasant Pond, Maine.  Why this out of the way place and not Texas?

Does anyone remember the 1963 Total eclipse and Pleasant Pond being the Sky and Telescope headquarters for the eclipse?  Yup, I was all of 18 and I was there where I saw my first solar eclipse and walked away a changed man. I've often wanted to go back to that pleasant place to soak up some stars and reminisce.   I never got the opportunity and thought I had missed my chance.  Ten other eclipses passed over me and I saw every one.  Missing one at my age wouldn't matter quite so much as it might have been in 1963. 

Imagine my shock when I inspected the 2024 track and discovered that Pleasant Pond was within totality!  It's been a slam dunk to decide where I have to go for that eclipse, probably my last.  It hardly matters that totality is a sad two minute affair and the weather probably horrible.

Look at it this way -- I see the two Pleasant Pond eclipses as bookends in my life, the place where I saw my first eclipse and the place where I will see my last.  That will be enough for me.  I feel that there can be a certain poetry in one's life.  And this is mine. 

See you in 2024!

I just got serious chills reading that.  Thanks so much for sharing!!

Damien

#27 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:19 AM

2024, Mexico, probably Mazatlan. It will be my fourth.

#28 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:53 AM

I'm probably going to do exactly the same thing I did for this year's total, pack the family up and drive to wherever is closest with the best forecast.

This past time around it was Cookeville, TN.  I have friends planning on going to Niagara Falls, so even if they get skunked on clouds, they'll have the falls to look at.  I don't like that idea, because I can drive to Canada any time I choose to, but a TSE only comes along so often.

This past one left me a changed man, like the OP said his first did to him.  I went from not having touched a telescope in years to owning several and observing regularly.

• Thundermoon1994 likes this

#29 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:02 PM

In real estate, it's location, location, location.

For eclipses, it's mobility, mobility, mobility (quoted from one of the eclipse gurus).

#30 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:08 PM

I plan to drive west on I-10 to somewhere in Texas.....

• Darren Bly likes this

#31 Joshiewowa

Joshiewowa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri, USA

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

I watched the 2017 eclipse from a property about 4 hours southwest of Perryville, Missouri.  According to an eclipse map, I'm going to be getting 3m 43s at that same location, and the longest duration near me is 4m 10s, so I don't even know if I'll bother to go anywhere else.  I might just end up watching from the same place.  Might be cool to experience 2 eclipses from the same location!

#32 Spammy

Spammy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mukwonago, WI

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

My dad lives in Mountain Home, AR, so I’m planning on being there.

#33 nickcodybarrett

nickcodybarrett

Vanguard

• Loc: Jackson, MS

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

I'm headed to Arkansas for it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics