•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Adventure Scope 80

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#301 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Yes. That is one reason.  The other is to give other mounting options, for example to piggyback on another scope

#302 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:14 PM

So the dovetail and the rings are used when the upgrades are too heavy right?

I started off with the small dovetail on the Meade Adventure 80, but quickly found that I could not balance it using my heavier eyepieces (ES 82 11mm). I then got rings (agena astro) and a 120mm dovetail (ebay) and was able to balance it with the EPs. The ring and the dovetail bolt sizes did not match (M6 vs 1/4-20) so I had drill out and countersink the dovetail holes.

Rings provide a more stable attachment, and are also useful on EQ mounts where the finder can get into odd positions, which requires you to rotate the scope in the rings relative to the dovetail.

I later tried basic AP on it with a DSLR on the EXOS Nano EQ and found the 120mm dovetail insufficient to balance with a DSLR. So I got a 210mm SVBONY slotted dovetail from ebay and attached it to the rings.

Meade Adventure 80 on ES EXOS Nano EQ

Edited by hcf, 02 August 2019 - 11:12 AM.

• eros312, Hamlet and Voilam like this

#303 Hamlet

Hamlet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

Last right I watch the ptolomeo cluster, with the stock meade 6mm EP, looks cool! But still is so difficult to search with the stock mount and tripod

• DevilJack likes this

#304 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

Check your local classifieds for people selling tripods. You can get a really good deal on a used manfrotto tripod. Try it with your scope so you ca test that the movement is smooth and that the scope stays in place after you move it

For example a manfrotto 3040 tripod with a manfrotto 3126 head would work great for the ST80 

#305 Hamlet

Hamlet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:34 PM

And this manfrotto head? https://articulo.mer..._JM?quantity=1 

I don't know if the meade's tripod head can be replaced anyways...

#306 tony_spina

tony_spina

Gemini

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

You can't and you would not want to replace the head on the Meade tripod

As for the Manfrotto head you put a link to I'm not familiar with it. But you don't need a head with 3 way movement.   You only need up down,  left right 

I would also look for one that has a longer grip bar like the head I mentioned in my previous post.  That will make it easier to use. Whatever you do try it before you buy it or be able to return it if it doesn't work with the scope 

#307 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

Check your local classifieds for people selling tripods. You can get a really good deal on a used manfrotto tripod. Try it with your scope so you ca test that the movement is smooth and that the scope stays in place after you move it

For example a manfrotto 3040 tripod with a manfrotto 3126 head would work great for the ST80 

Mine rides on a Manfrotto 475B that I got off the CN classifieds.  I'm using my Twilight 1 head with encoders, but I'm considering switching to a different head.

Before that I used a Benro tripod with a Vanguard pan head.

#308 criswille

criswille

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:36 PM

One more of Lagoon Nebula (M8) from my garden. 20 lights, 30 sec. 10 darks.

Laguna

• ArizonaScott, Ptarmigan, GeneDiG and 6 others like this

#309 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:11 PM

One think worth mentioning if others haven,t already? the inside of the stock focuser is painted in the same shiny grey hammer finish paint that,s on the outside, its not a big job to slip it off and spray paint the inside a nice flat black and also touch up any shiny screw ends sticking through , also when replacing the focuser I put a small washer under the screw head and a dab of paint on them both to help stop the coffee colored paint chipping and light rust on the screw heads forming after a few dewy nights, D.

Edited by Binojunky, 01 November 2019 - 01:12 PM.

• Agatha likes this

#310 burks

burks

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:45 AM

So what finder scope are you guys and gals using? Did you have to change the mount any? I'm not a fan of the red dot plus I'm looking to go in the guided direction very soon.

#311 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:34 AM

I use the cheap RDF that came with it.  But I use push-to encoders, so I only need the RDF to get me to my first alignment star.  It's a little quicker than eyeballing it along the tube.

#312 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:42 PM

Haven't needed anything other than the simple red dot.  Even in 1.25" mode the scope has such a wide field of view that it is its own finder...I actually use an ST80 as the finder on my 20". 

#313 suttonjp

suttonjp

Explorer 1

• Loc: 51455

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:23 AM

I like being able to toss this scope in the backpack and go, so I opted for a travel tripod that folds down small enough to still fit the original bag.  I use the Manfrotto Element Big with a Befree live video head.  The head alone is worth more than the scope, but together they're more than competent for my needs and it's a joy to use.  (My wife is a professional photographer, so the tripod will get used one way or the other.)  Worth it!

• jcj380, Rock22 and mrsjeff like this

#314 Hamlet

Hamlet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:07 AM

Guys, this mount ring will fit arround the 80mm meade? https://www.ebay.com...redirect=mobile

Edited by Hamlet, 14 November 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#315 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

The rings I  got for the Adventure 80 were 90mm rings.

The ones you linked seem to be 97mm rings.

#316 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

Guys, this mount ring will fit arround the 80mm meade? https://www.ebay.com...redirect=mobile

https://luntsolarsys...-rings-90mm-id/

https://www.telescop...ings/p/7370.uts (in Europe: https://uk.telescope.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&siteCode=UK&keyword=rings+90mm)

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B0000XMVJU

All are the same thing, just from different retailers.  This set of tube rings definitely works for the Meade 80mm Adventure Scope - I have the rings on my 80mm Adventure Scope

• Hamlet likes this

#317 Hamlet

Hamlet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

https://luntsolarsys...-rings-90mm-id/

https://www.telescop...ings/p/7370.uts (in Europe: https://uk.telescope.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&siteCode=UK&keyword=rings+90mm)

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B0000XMVJU

All are the same thing, just from different retailers.  This set of tube rings definitely works for the Meade 80mm Adventure Scope - I have the rings on my 80mm Adventure Scope

Those that you showme will work But the one that I linked it doesn't?

#318 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:02 PM

I would not recommend it for 2 reasons.

As already mentioned, the diameter is too big, but you could add more felt padding.  

The other reason is this:  how are you going to get it on to your 'scope?  It is an unusual tube holder to me.  It is not hinged or even in two halves.  It appears that you would need to slide your tube in.   But you would need to remove the dew shield or the focuser.  

The others that have been linked to are more user friendly.

I have seen slide in tube rings but I haven't ever used them or wanted them.  

Edited by Agatha, 15 November 2019 - 06:06 PM.

• jcj380 and Hamlet like this

#319 Hamlet

Hamlet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

Thanks agatha! I didn't saw that detail 

• Agatha likes this

#320 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Any advice on how to remove the dew shield on the blue Meade Infinity version?  It won't come off and I am worried the manufacturer may have glued it on, which would make flocking and darkening the lens edges impossible.  :(

Unfortunately, I did not realize the dew shield was stuck until after the return period expired.  The scope is otherwise in decent shape and it never crossed my mind that they would start gluing on the dew shield.

#321 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

Any advice on how to remove the dew shield on the blue Meade Infinity version?  It won't come off and I am worried the manufacturer may have glued it on, which would make flocking and darkening the lens edges impossible.  frown.gif

Unfortunately, I did not realize the dew shield was stuck until after the return period expired.  The scope is otherwise in decent shape and it never crossed my mind that they would start gluing on the dew shield.

From what you're saying, I suspect the dew shield is glued on for the blue Infinity version because it is glued on for the white Orion version I have.  I also have the beige Meade Adventure Scope version, and that one can be removed.  That is how I know the white one is glued on.

Edited by Rock22, 20 November 2019 - 01:30 PM.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#322 gkarris

gkarris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

Any advice on how to remove the dew shield on the blue Meade Infinity version?  It won't come off and I am worried the manufacturer may have glued it on, which would make flocking and darkening the lens edges impossible.  frown.gif

Definitely glued on...

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#323 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

I struggled removing my Meade Adventure Scope dewshield. I eventually was able to remove it by carefully using a heat gun and heating the dewshield only, the slowly twisting it off. Once removed that first time, it has been easier to remove since. I tried a hair dryer, but that did not work. I strongly advise caution if you decide to use a heat gun, mine was hot enough to burn my hand when I touched it, and if you go too far you run the risk of ruining the paint on the telescope. 

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#324 criswille

criswille

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

Some new photos with the Meade Adventure Scope 80 + Canon 600D (removing only the small lid) taken on 11-18-2019 in San Andrés de la Sierra Pcia of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Loica Comun

Tero Común (Vanellus chilensis)

Calandria Grande (Mimus saturninus)

Tijereta (Tyrannus savana)

Carpintero Campestre (Colaptes campestris)

Halconcito Colorado (Falco sparverius)

Chimango (Milvago chimango)

Edited by criswille, 20 November 2019 - 04:28 PM.

• Ptarmigan, joseph07081, Carl Kolchak and 9 others like this

#325 gkarris

gkarris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

I struggled removing my Meade Adventure Scope dewshield. I eventually was able to remove it by carefully using a heat gun and heating the dewshield only, the slowly twisting it off. Once removed that first time, it has been easier to remove since. I tried a hair dryer, but that did not work. I strongly advise caution if you decide to use a heat gun, mine was hot enough to burn my hand when I touched it, and if you go too far you run the risk of ruining the paint on the telescope. 

I think on the Adventure Scopes, you can take the dew shield off. On the Adventure Scope 60 I have, the dew shield comes right off on that one. Maybe someone here can verify the 70 and 80...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics