•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Adventure Scope 80

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#326 Diana N

Diana N

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

Love those bird shots, criswille! 

#327 criswille

criswille

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Diana!

#328 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses.  That is disappointing because I had hoped to flock the scope and I don't think I can do that very well from the lower end.

I struggled removing my Meade Adventure Scope dewshield. I eventually was able to remove it by carefully using a heat gun and heating the dewshield only, the slowly twisting it off. Once removed that first time, it has been easier to remove since. I tried a hair dryer, but that did not work. I strongly advise caution if you decide to use a heat gun, mine was hot enough to burn my hand when I touched it, and if you go too far you run the risk of ruining the paint on the telescope. 

I may have to give this a try.  Thanks for the warning about burning my hand.  I will probably at least try a hair dryer first since I don't own a heat gun.

#329 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:12 PM

Any advice on how to remove the dew shield on the blue Meade Infinity version?  It won't come off and I am worried the manufacturer may have glued it on, which would make flocking and darkening the lens edges impossible.  frown.gif

Unfortunately, I did not realize the dew shield was stuck until after the return period expired.  The scope is otherwise in decent shape and it never crossed my mind that they would start gluing on the dew shield.

Not glued on.  Just stuck.  You might need to use a strap wrench to help loosen it up

• PXR-5, BFaucett, M57Guy and 1 other like this

#330 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:27 PM

I had a similar problem with the dew shield of my Sky-Watcher ST80. I resorted to using a blunt knife to slowly separate the shield by inserting it into the gap where the shield meets the OTA and carefully wiggling it. It worked but you can plainly see the marks left. 

gallery_249298_10284_206061.jpg

• Voilam likes this

#331 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:17 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses.  That is disappointing because I had hoped to flock the scope and I don't think I can do that very well from the lower end.

I may have to give this a try.  Thanks for the warning about burning my hand.  I will probably at least try a hair dryer first since I don't own a heat gun.

It is unlikely that the shield is glued on, since they appear to be the same mechanical build for the OTA and differ primarily in color.  The dew shield can be very tight initially.  It can take a lot more effort than you expect to remove them the first time and require some persistence.  Interestingly, they can get tight again over time...I had to remove one on my ST80 recently and found it very tight again, even though it had been somewhat loose for months after I first removed it.

The retainer ring can be quite tight, and you can't get to the retainer ring without removing the dew shield.  My AS 80's retainer ring was very tight causing visible pinch at high power (trefoil pattern.) 

If you flock the OTA, make sure you have the inside configured the way you want before you do.  The baffle is restricting the size of the fully illuminated field considerably even in 1.25".   Since I added a 2" focuser I wanted to take advantage of the full wide field potential, so I moved the baffle back.   From my post on this in another thread:

• I finally moved the baffle on the Meade back last night. The little dovetail had to come off and I don't intend to put it back on.  I didn't realize before, but the bolts are only threaded into the tubewall, no nuts!  No wonder it made scary sounds when I tested it initially with 2" focuser/diagonal and 41 Pan.  I concluded it was going to damage the tube and ordered rings.  I wouldn't even have tested it had I realized there weren't nuts on those bolts.  I have covered the holes with clear packing tape and sharpied over that for now.
  • I moved the baffle back about 30mm to where it covers the second hole. [This might be different for the Infinity 80 as the dovetail might differ.]  I sharpied the exposed tube area where the baffle had been.  I could move it back another 5-10mm before it would touch be flush with the focuser draw tube fully racked inward.  With the 31T5 the focuser is racked in all but the last 10mm or so, and at that point the baffle isn't doing much anyway, the draw tube is serving as the baffle.
  • Even this won't fully illuminate the entire 1.25" field with a 2" diagonal from what I see, let alone 2".  The draw tube will provide a hard limit on how wide of a field can be fully illuminated vs. partially illuminated.  Interestingly, it occurs to me that best illuminated field with the 2" focuser and a 1.25" eyepiece will likely be achieved with a 1.25" diagonal, because the focuser draw tube is racked so much further out.  This is the nature of these short focal length set ups.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#332 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:02 PM

I had a similar problem with the dew shield of my Sky-Watcher ST80. I resorted to using a blunt knife to slowly separate the shield by inserting it into the gap where the shield meets the OTA and carefully wiggling it. It worked but you can plainly see the marks left. 

gallery_249298_10284_206061.jpg

A bit of black gloss paint and careful use of a toothpick would hide this, D.

• Agatha, Shorty Barlow and Voilam like this

#333 Hamlet

Hamlet

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

Any thread were I can see how is the assemby of those rings and the dove tail to tthe OTA?

#334 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 December 2019 - 10:08 PM

Not glued on.  Just stuck.  You might need to use a strap wrench to help loosen it up

Strap wrench, gentle heat, and a bit of patience.

#335 Hamlet

Hamlet

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:18 PM

Photo taken with my meade adventure 2X barlow and a 15mm EP celestron plossl

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20191209_040057.jpg

• boyd, Agatha, jcj380 and 3 others like this

#336 Mike710

Mike710

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

Hi folks,

Iam new to the hobby and found this thread, and CN of which have helped me decide on what would be my first scope while I was searching for info on the subject.  So my AC 80/400 is on it´s way (shipped), and from the reading here I guess it´s a good Idea to buy some better EP´s.  Red the thread like two or three times already and well, still lost as to what I should buy.  My eyesight is quite degraded at my age (been a welder for many years, and also worked as a graphical designer on PC), so when I read that a 6mm EP has very small index and/or relief my eyes/brain goes shut!

I was wondering if some of you more educated in optics/scopes could help me out with what EP´s I should buy first. I want to gradually buy them beacuse it´s been a tough holiday seasson (on the wallet), so I´ll be buying one at a time.  I don´t want  my first experience to be put off beacuse Iam not seeing things clearly, and I really want to get into the hobby, so your guidence will be of alot of help and apreciated.

I know the 90º diagonal is not great, but some stated it´s passable.  Will be changed later on but for now could do with my first EP to start with...

I was looking at this EP as I saw it on one of the pics here on the thread:

https://www.amazon.e...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Sorry it´s in spanish but the specs are the same. It´s where I live now, so can´t help that.

As for the 90º diagonal, here´s what I have found:

Or this one which seems similar to one posted here too:

https://www.amazon.e...MX6BXXPCWKBD4Z8

Just suggestions, I would prefer your opinions but bear in mind that I can´t find everything in my region unless it comes from the outside of EU.

As they say, Iam in your hands smile.gif

Thanks, and may you all have cleard and dark skys...

Mike

--

Edited by Mike710, 14 January 2020 - 06:50 PM.

#337 gkarris

gkarris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:30 PM

Hi folks,

Iam new to the hobby and found this thread, and CN of which have helped me decide on what would be my first scope while I was searching for info on the subject.  So my AC 80/400 is on it´s way (shipped), and from the reading here I guess it´s a good Idea to buy some better EP´s.  Red the thread like two or three times already and well, still lost as to what I should buy.  My eyesight is quite degraded at my age (been a welder for many years, and also worked as a graphical designer on PC), so when I read that a 6mm EP has very small Index and/or relief my eyes/brain goes shut!

I was wondering if some of you more educated in optics/scopes could help me out with what EP´s I should buy first. I want to gradually buy them beacuse it´s been a tough holiday seasson (on the wallet), so I´ll be buying one at a time.  I don´t want  my first experience to be put off beacuse Iam not seeing things clearly, and I really want to get into the hobby, so your guidence will be of alot of help and apreciated.

I know the 90º diagonal is not great, but some stated it´s passable.  Will be changed later on but for now could do with my first EP to start with...

I was looking at this EP as I saw it on one of the pics here on the thread:

Sorry it´s in spanish but the specs are the same. It´s where I live now, so can´t help that.

As for the 90º diagonal, here´s what I have found:

Or this one which seems similar to one posted here too:

https://www.amazon.e...MX6BXXPCWKBD4Z8

Just suggestions, I would prefer your opinions but bear in mind that I can´t find everything in my region unless it comes from the outside of EU.

As they say, Iam in your hands smile.gif

Thanks, and may you all have cleard and dark skys...

Mike

--

I got the Meade 2x and 3x shorty barlows for my ST80 that works well..

you can use eyepieces with better reliefs with them (I often use an Orion MA 20mm with the 2x) which makes it effectively a 10mm)

#338 Mike710

Mike710

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

Thanks @gkarris,

Will check them out...

Mike

#339 Mike710

Mike710

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

Just received my Meade AC 80/400...

Must say that Iam quite impressed with what you get for the price paid! In my case it was 139€, and I guess that has to do with the exchange rates etc.  Even though, still impressed.  Quite a solid package overall, and I would say it´s perfect for anyone who wants to give stargazing a try.  If for what ever reason they don´t like the night sky, then terrestial visuals is another option, and for the price of a night out with the family, you get a very usable scope.

Sure there´s things already stated here that should be replaced like the EP s and tripod, but as others also stated, for the price I would say, the price is right, like the show lol.gif .  The tripod is probably the worst part of the kit for me, it moves more then a old ladies diaper, so trying to align the RDF is quite a chore for example.  The eyepieces will be replaced with time, but overall Iam very happy with my new scope and hobby.  Look forward to seeing alot in the night sky above, and having alot of fun learning all I can on Astronomy.

I found the Vixen EP´s to be of a good price to quality ratio from what I have been reading.  Might pick up the 25mm out of the four below, what do you all think would be the best out of the four?

Vixen NPL:

https://www.astrocit...ubmit_search=OK

Next month I´ll pick up a GSO 90º diagonal, and a 2x Barlow.

IMG-20200115-174328867.jpg

Mike

--

Edited by Mike710, 15 January 2020 - 01:06 PM.

• belgrade, eros312, Agatha and 5 others like this

#340 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:11 PM

Very good, indeed!  I have 2 ST80s, one from Orion and one is the Meade you just got.  At the end of 2018, I spotted comet Wirtanen for the first time using the ST80.  It was small, but I could see it with the ST80 but could not find it with my 127mm achro.

This video might interest you: Skywatcher ST80 Mods & Tweaks

I would suggest you get a mirror diagonal for star gazing in the ST80.  A prism diagonal seems to work better for terrestrial viewing and for higher focal ratio scopes (like an f/15 mak).  The GSO diagonals are likely very, very good.  I have a 2" dielectric and a 2" quartz dielectric and they are in my opinion the best performers out of my 2" diagonals.  For the 1.25" diagonals, I would think the GSOs would be of the same high quality and performance.  I have a 1.25" Orion dielectric mirror diagonal from Amazon Warehouse (do they have that option in Europe?) that I got 'like new' for much cheaper than a new one.  You should check the classifieds here on CN, see if the shipping would make the item too expensive, and ask if any of the sellers are willing to ship to Spain.

I had the Vixen 40mm NPL (2 of them for binoviewing) and they were very solid performers in my opinion.  The only drawback was the smaller AFOV, but they were excellent Plossls.  I recommend them over the more generic Svbony eyepieces.  You might also look at your region's eBay or at AliExpress for eyepieces or any astro gear for that matter.  The shipping might be more reasonable.

Like others suggested, a Barlow might be a good addition.  The GSOs are good.

A good camera/video tripod will work for the ST80.  Like you mentioned, the stock tripod it comes with is not that sturdy.

You can remove the smaller cap on the larger lens cap to reduce the aperture of the scope.  This is a tip I got on CN, and it reduces the chromatic aberration on bright objects like the moon and Venus.  It does reduce some detail, but I haven't noticed it.

The ST80 was my second scope after my 114mm reflector, and it made me a refractor guy.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

• BFaucett and Mike710 like this

#341 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

I tossed the tripod, use the EPs as dust plugs, and kept the backpack for whatever.  I originally put the scope on a camera tripod with a ball head, but didn't care for that so I switched to a pan head.

Now I alternate between using a decent camera tripod and my Twilight 1 mount, depending on what I want to do.

• BFaucett, Rock22 and Mike710 like this

#342 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

I tossed the tripod, use the EPs as dust plugs, and kept the backpack for whatever.  I originally put the scope on a camera tripod with a ball head, but didn't care for that so I switched to a pan head.

Now I alternate between using a decent camera tripod and my Twilight 1 mount, depending on what I want to do.

I only use the backpack as well... to store my two ST80s.

I use a carbon fiber camera/video tripod when I am using 1.25" eyepieces only (lightweight setup only).  If I want to do more extensive observing with the ST80, I use my Vixen Porta II.  I've wanted to use the ST80 as a guidescope or finder, but have not had the motivation to actually set it up in that way on a larger scope.

#343 Voilam

Voilam

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Vietnam

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

After read all your comment. yes it is metal focuser & the OTA itself is solid.

This is mine with Velbon tripod

IMG-20191207-115047-edit.jpg

It is really compact

so I could carry it 30.km out of the city & enjoy an evening under stars   

Edited by Voilam, 15 January 2020 - 10:37 PM.

• Agatha, Tyson M, Rock22 and 2 others like this

#344 Mike710

Mike710

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:26 AM

Thank you all for your reply´s, comments and guidence. Much appreciated!

@Voilam,

Had a look at some of the Velbon (Sherpa 200) tripods, and added some to my whishlist.  Also added a Manfrotto to the list...

@Rock22,

After doing some more homework (here on CN), I found a thread on the ES 52º LER AR ep´s, of which you have some.  I was thinking of getting a 6.5mm, and 10mm from this series. The 4.5mm. would also fit the bill. Not to sure on the 15mm. seems like there´s mixed feelings with it.  How do they work for you on the AC 80/400?

Iam sure this series will work on other scopes if I ever decided to buy another scope, me thinks on the ES ED APO F/6 FCD-1 as my next buy, or similar up the line.  So I rather spend a bit more now, as I don´t belive in wonders on the cheap.  Although the AC80/400 is a bit of a cheap wonder cool.gif

Again, thank you for your help,

Mike

Edited by Mike710, 16 January 2020 - 11:48 AM.

• Voilam likes this

#345 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

Thank you all for your reply´s, comments and guidence. Much appreciated!

@Voilam,

Had a look at some of the Velbon (Sherpa 200) tripods, and added some to my whishlist.  Also added a Manfrotto to the list...

@Rock22,

After doing some more homework (here on CN), I found a thread on the ES 52º LER AR ep´s, of which you have some.  I was thinking of getting a 6.5mm, and 10mm from this series. The 4.5mm. would also fit the bill. Not to sure on the 15mm. seems like there´s mixed feelings with it.  How do they work for you on the AC 80/400?

Iam sure this series will work on other scopes if I ever decided to buy another scope, me thinks on the ES ED APO F/6 FCD-1 as my next buy, or similar up the line.  So I rather spend a bit more now, as I don´t belive in wonders on the cheap.  Although the AC80/400 is a bit of a cheap wonder cool.gif

Again, thank you for your help,

Mike

I forgot to mention Don Pensack's eyepiece buying guide: https://www.cloudyni...e-buyers-guide/.  I used Don's spreadsheet to make a tailored spreadsheet of my own for each scope.

Also, I like to use the Astronomy Tools FOV calculator.

I've pushed my ST80s to 160x (max with my 5mm and a 2x Barlow), but the seeing usually keeps me at about 120x max.  At mid- and low-power, the ST80 is great for wider-field views.  The Pleiades are my favorite, but there are so many other open clusters to see, and the moon's details are always a good challenge.

I think the ES 52-deg LER eyepieces are very good, especially the 6.5mm.  I tried the 3mm, but returned that one.  The eye relief is good for me because I don't wear glasses when I observe, and the build quality is excellent.  The ES 52-deg eyepieces are in my lightweight set of eyepieces for grab-n-go, but I use them in my other scopes, too.  The smaller FOV is not a problem when I use my goto mount, but at high magnification the planets and other objects move out of view relatively quickly, especially in my mak (which is why I have so many wide-field eyepieces now... expensive!!!)

My suggestion would be what others suggest in other threads: 3 eyepieces - a low-power, mid-power, and high-power eyepiece - and one Barlow or focal extender (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x, or 3x).  For the ST80, I suggest saving up and getting the ES 24mm 68-deg (AliExpress often has some for good prices) for low power (17x, 4.8mm exit pupil, 4.8-deg TFOV).  My 25mm Orion Sirius Plossl also works very well, but at 52-deg AFOV.  I mostly use an ES 11mm 82-deg for mid (36x, 2.2mm exit pupil, 2.2-deg TFOV), and usually the ES 6.5mm 52-deg for high (62x, 1.3mm exit pupil, 0.85-deg TFOV).  I use an Orion 2x Shorty Barlow that came with an eyepiece kit I bought.

You should check Don's guide to see what eyepieces might suit you.  Others have tried the BSTs, Vixen NPLs, Lunt flat fields, GSO SuperViews, and the Dual ED eyepieces (called Starguiders at Agena Astro and Paradigms at Astronomics).  I'm sure First Light Optics, APM, Astroshop, Omegon, and Teleskop Express in Europe have good options also.

I also like having a solar filter for viewing the sun.  A moon filter does keep the brightness down, but I haven't used one for a long time.  I don't use my other filters (color, light pollution, nebula) anymore either.

The ST80 is a great scope to have, in my opinion, and I hope you have as much fun with is as I do.

#346 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:52 AM

I only use the backpack as well... to store my two ST80s.

I use a carbon fiber camera/video tripod when I am using 1.25" eyepieces only (lightweight setup only).  If I want to do more extensive observing with the ST80, I use my Vixen Porta II.  I've wanted to use the ST80 as a guidescope or finder, but have not had the motivation to actually set it up in that way on a larger scope.

Yep, I do the same thing. I love this little telescope. It's not the biggest or the best but it sure is enjoyable to use. It's just such a handy and convenient size. 

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

gallery_230527_10827_109597.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, eros312, Agatha and 6 others like this

#347 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:16 AM

I've been considering switching to a Crayford focuser, but a Crayford is more than the scope cost.  That gives me a little heartburn so I haven't pulled the trigger.  Maybe better to put one on my ST120.

• BFaucett likes this

#348 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

I've been considering switching to a Crayford focuser, but a Crayford is more than the scope cost.  That gives me a little heartburn so I haven't pulled the trigger.  Maybe better to put one on my ST120.

Yeah, I really hesitated about getting a Crayford for the AS80 for several months. I do have a GSO 2" dual speed Crayford on my Celestron 80ED and one on my Celestron Omni XLT AZ 102 (f/6.5 achromat). I finally decided to get one for the AS80 as a little present to myself this past Xmas. It really makes the little AS80 a pleasure to use as focusing is so much easier. 

If I owned both an AS80 and a ST120, I think I'd also be tempted to put a Crayford on the ST120 first.

My two cents... Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

• jcj380 and Voilam like this

#349 joseph07081

joseph07081

Messenger

• Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

I put one on my scope and it does make a noticeable difference for the better. Focusing is much easier for me now, so I think it was worth the additional cost. You can always save the old focuser and put it back on the scope if you decide to sell it later and either put it on another scope or sell it as well. That may lessen the  pain for you a bit. 

• BFaucett and Voilam like this

#350 hcf

hcf

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

There used to be a Dual Speed Crayford Focuser from Lunt with slightly less travel, which was about half the price of the GSO one. As mentioned in this post, it is supposed to work with the ST80, but I have not tried it personally ....

https://www.cloudyni...st80/?p=9152173

Edited by hcf, 17 January 2020 - 05:06 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics