•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Adventure Scope 80

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#376 Kerbal01

Kerbal01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Kerbal01, what are you using to attach the phone case?

generic clamp that came with a tripod I bought. Screws on to the 1/4 20 screw on the tube ring.  kinda like this one: https://www.amazon.c...2235002&sr=8-16

Edited by Kerbal01, 20 February 2020 - 04:44 PM.

• M57Guy likes this

#377 Kerbal01

Kerbal01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

Agree, a 7-inch dovetail is long enough (at least that's what I measured) for the rings to clear the screwed on short dovetail.  No need to take it off.

I also put the 4.7 inch dovetail I bought over the existing one with the tube rings.

#378 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

I also put the 4.7 inch dovetail I bought over the existing one with the tube rings.

Looks like I need to revisit the rings.  Thanks all!

• BFaucett likes this

#379 SJMarty

SJMarty

Vostok 1

• Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 29 February 2020 - 04:26 AM

Hello,

I read through this and the flocking thread and I just ordered the Adventure Scope 80mm.  The price in combination with the positive comments made this irresistible.  It will be here Sunday...I'm pretty excited.  After soaking in all of the questions, answers, and comments, I have two questions of my own...

• I'm anticipating that I'll want to replace the stock focuser.  If that's the case, is the GSO Crayford focuser mentioned several times the way to go?  Currently, I only have 1.25" eyepieces.
  • Has anyone put this on a goto mount?  I've been reading up on the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi.

Thanks,

-Steve

• Agatha, Rock22 and Hamlet like this

#380 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:29 AM

Yes the GSO, Lunt, Scopestuff crayfords will work.  Check either of those out, you can usually find a sale.  Lunt was selling them earlier this month at 50% off.

I'm using my  Adventure to learn astrophotography on an AVX with positive results.

• SJMarty likes this

#381 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

Keep in mind that changing the focuser will add considerable weight and nearly double the cost of the scope, even with the great deal on the Lunt focuser. Unless you are going to use 2" eyepieces I would keep the stock focuser. It's perfectly servicable for 1.25" eyepieces (although it can use a cleaning and regreasing with lithium grease). The main advantage of replacing the focuser is the ability to use 2" eyepieces to get a much wider field of view.
  • SJMarty, OneGear and M57Guy like this

#382 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

Yes the GSO, Lunt, Scopestuff crayfords will work. Check either of those out, you can usually find a sale. Lunt was selling them earlier this month at 50% off.

I'm using my Adventure to learn astrophotography on an AVX with positive results.

Note that the Lunt doesn't include a 1.25 inch adaptor, which is probably fine (most 2" diagonals do include one). Just something to be aware of.
  • SJMarty likes this

#383 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

Has anyone put this on a goto mount?  I've been reading up on the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi.

I think it will work well  with the smaller GoTo mounts like the AZ-Gti or the iEXOS-100 (if you want to do AP)

I am using it with my DIY GoTo EQ mount where the lighter weight of the OTA is very helpful.

• SJMarty likes this

#384 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:38 PM

I read through this and the flocking thread and I just ordered the Adventure Scope 80mm.  The price in combination with the positive comments made this irresistible.  It will be here Sunday...I'm pretty excited.  After soaking in all of the questions, answers, and comments, I have two questions of my own...

• I'm anticipating that I'll want to replace the stock focuser.  If that's the case, is the GSO Crayford focuser mentioned several times the way to go?  Currently, I only have 1.25" eyepieces.

If you don't already have a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepieces then there is little reason for the focuser upgrade.  If you already have the other elements then the 2" focuser makes sense.  The primary motivation for the focuser upgrade is to take advantage of the wider possible true field of view, making this a near "widest field" telescope.  Well corrected 2" eyepieces with maximal field stops such as the 31 Nagler are much pricier than the scope.  With a 1.25" 24 Pan the scope can provide 3.87 deg of true field.

While not ideal, the stock 1.25" metal focuser is an upgrade from the plastic ones found on many inexpensive smaller aperture scopes.  People sometimes resell the stock focuser.  I am hanging onto mine in case I want to put it in something else (or decide to move the 2" to another scope.)   Removing the grease glue that Synta puts in the focuser rack and pinion makes it behave better in cold weather.  

• SJMarty, Rock22 and mrsjeff like this

#385 SJMarty

SJMarty

Vostok 1

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

If you don't already have a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepieces then there is little reason for the focuser upgrade.  If you already have the other elements then the 2" focuser makes sense.  The primary motivation for the focuser upgrade is to take advantage of the wider possible true field of view, making this a near "widest field" telescope.  Well corrected 2" eyepieces with maximal field stops such as the 31 Nagler are much pricier than the scope.  With a 1.25" 24 Pan the scope can provide 3.87 deg of true field.

While not ideal, the stock 1.25" metal focuser is an upgrade from the plastic ones found on many inexpensive smaller aperture scopes.  People sometimes resell the stock focuser.  I am hanging onto mine in case I want to put it in something else (or decide to move the 2" to another scope.)   Removing the grease glue that Synta puts in the focuser rack and pinion makes it behave better in cold weather.  

I do already own the Meade #930 UHTC diagonal which is on my AR-5 but have not gone down the 2" eyepiece path yet.  I'll see how the existing focuser is on the Adventure Scope when I get it.

• gene 4181 likes this

#386 SJMarty

SJMarty

Vostok 1

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:52 AM

I think it will work well  with the smaller GoTo mounts like the AZ-Gti or the iEXOS-100 (if you want to do AP)

I am using it with my DIY GoTo EQ mount where the lighter weight of the OTA is very helpful.

I'm going to give the AZ-GTi a shot.  Maybe this will be obvious when I get it in my hands but I'll ask anyway...to mount this on the AZ-GTi, I will need to replace the existing (tiny) dovetail on the Adventure Scope with a longer one, correct?  I can't imagine I would be able to balance it at all with this existing short one.  I would need to either bolt it directly to the tube or use rings, right?  I seem to recall reading in this thread that the existing dovetail is attached to the tube with two bolts.  Is there a standard length dovetail I should be looking for or better yet, a specific one that has a hole/slot pattern that works well with this scope?

Thanks!

#387 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 March 2020 - 01:41 PM

You need a longer dovetail to balance heavier eyepieces.

It is better to get slotted dovetails like these for greater flexibilty in placement.

https://www.astronom...unts-black.html

https://www.ebay.com...US/183890365047

I use rings to attach the dovetail, and you don't need to remove the short dovetail, as the rings allow the longer dovetail to go over the shorter one (look at pictures in the earlier posts on this thread).

I think it might be possible to bolt the longer dovetail to the shorter one, without rings, you could try that before buying the rings.

Edited by hcf, 01 March 2020 - 01:41 PM.

• SJMarty likes this

#388 Mike710

Mike710

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

A quick question if I may...

How do you all remove that gunky grease from the focuser?  Following the mod for this scope and have the Lithium grease as advised but need to remove the gunk first.

My girfriend says with olive oil, as this gunk seems like some type of resin more then grease. Sticky stuff it is!

Thanks

Edited by Mike710, 02 March 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#389 SJMarty

SJMarty

Vostok 1

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:11 PM

I went ahead and ordered a 5" slotted dovetail...

https://www.highpoin...ting-rail-tp005

Looks like Astronomics does not have either the GSO or the Lunt focusers - just the higher-end stuff.  Is there a recommended vendor for picking up the Lunt or GSO - or a preference between the two focusers?  I found it at Agena AstroProducts but I have not used them before.  It also looks like Agena also has a little custom-drilled finder mount they offer to go with the GSO focuser...

https://agenaastro.c...d-focusers.html

Has anyone tried this mount?  Does it work with the existing red dot finder?  Others popular finders?

Thanks again for the help and pointers!

• BFaucett likes this

#390 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 02 March 2020 - 03:11 PM

Looks like Astronomics does not have either the GSO or the Lunt focusers - just the higher-end stuff.  Is there a recommended vendor for picking up the Lunt or GSO - or a preference between the two focusers?  I found it at Agena AstroProducts but I have not used them before.  It also looks like Agena also has a little custom-drilled finder mount they offer to go with the GSO focuser...

Lunt appears to have run out of the batch of focusers they had.  I don't think there will be any more as they were surplus focusers for a project they had that ended up going in a different direction.  The link was working a few weeks ago but is now dead.  

Agena still carries the single and dual speed GSO's.

#391 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:03 PM

That lunt focuser deal was sure a good deal while it lasted and it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

#392 SJMarty

SJMarty

Vostok 1

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:20 PM

I went ahead and ordered the GSO dual-speed from Agena.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

#393 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:34 PM

That lunt focuser deal was sure a good deal while it lasted and it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

Yes, it was in Nov. 2018 that I became aware of it.  I didn't post anything about it until I ordered one, tested it, and then ordered a second.  After that I let the cat out of the bag and I figured they would run out in a few weeks or months.  

#394 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:34 PM

The Lunt focusers were still available as of 2 weeks ago. Too bad that deals over.

There are a nice upgrade but do add a bit of weight to the scope.

Also, the GSO finder dovetail bases from Agena mentioned above fit the Lunt focusers, if anyone's interested.

#395 Hamlet

Hamlet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

Hello,

• Has anyone put this on a goto mount?  I've been reading up on the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi.

Thanks,

-Steve

Hi!, do you have in your hands the scope?, how was your experience with it?, I was wondering that because I have it and I think it's a good scope!

#396 SJMarty

SJMarty

Vostok 1

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:40 PM

Hi!, do you have in your hands the scope?, how was your experience with it?, I was wondering that because I have it and I think it's a good scope!

I ended up purchasing an Astro-Tech AT80ED from Astronomics.  By the time I would have added a dual-speed focuser, etc. to the Meade, the price was too close enough to the AT80ED for me to make the jump.  Plus with the Meade, I would have ended up with a throw-away tripod, diagonal and eyepieces.  At least for me, the Astro-Tech was a better fit.

• Jaimo!, eros312, pugliano and 2 others like this

#397 Hamlet

Hamlet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:19 AM

I ended up purchasing an Astro-Tech AT80ED from Astronomics.  By the time I would have added a dual-speed focuser, etc. to the Meade, the price was too close enough to the AT80ED for me to make the jump.  Plus with the Meade, I would have ended up with a throw-away tripod, diagonal and eyepieces.  At least for me, the Astro-Tech was a better fit.

Well, that was a wise choice. I hope you can share some photos with it!

Edited by Hamlet, 24 March 2020 - 10:19 AM.

#398 Rock22

Rock22

Viking 1

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

The scopes are quite different, and even with rings and a 2" dual-speed Crayford, the ST80 comes out to around 30% less than the cost of the AT80ED.  That money could be put to a good, quality eyepiece.

I have an 80mm f/7 ED and an ST80 (actually 2), and they serve different purposes.  My 80mm f/7 is not a grab-n-go scope (heavier and longer, even with the retractable dew shield), and I use it mostly for stars, star fields, and imaging.

The ST80 is a fun and very capable scope that performs very well at f/5, and for me is an excellent grab-n-go and wide-field observing scope.  Even without the rings and 2" Crayford, the scope was a fun scope to learn on and I continue to use it.  I set one up for my son when we observe together (even just last night).

I bought 2 Meade 80mm Adventure Scopes and gave one to a friend for his birthday.  That one cost me $70, and the other I bought cost me $71.  You can still find good values on Amazon Warehouse (just get the 'like new' ones).

At that price (which even with rings and the 2" Crayford would be 40% less than the AT80ED), it was a good candidate for me to upgrade and make usable with the rest of my accessories.  I don't have rings on mine, but I would still consider them at $30, which would be half the cost of my scope!  Just keep expectations reasonable, and I believe the ST80 will impress.

The ST80 (Orion terrestrial version) was my second scope, and in its stock version really enriched my burgeoning interest in backyard astronomy.  It also made me realize I enjoyed refractors more than reflectors.  It travels well, is quite sturdy, and performs well.  I even did my first imaging with an ST80 using my DSLR and also my phone.

I write all of this for all of the beginners who might overlook the ST80, which I think is a keeper even after upgrading to better scopes.  But I definitely agree with others that the accessories for the Meade Adventure Scope 80 are mostly very unsatisfying.  I would say make sure to have a good tripod.  The other accessories are usable and will help beginners learn the workings of a telescope, but a good tripod made my experience much better.

• jcj380, BFaucett and Hamlet like this

#399 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:30 PM

Does anyone know the thread size on the stock focuser drawtube, where the visual back threads on?

I was trying to figure it out using some miscellaneous threaded parts; T-2 is definitely too small. M43 is very close, but maybe just a little too big (or the wrong pitch); it goes smoothly for about 1 turn, then jams.

The diagonal side of the visual back is definitely T-2.

#400 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:41 AM

100_0415.JPG Had this scope out last night viewing the moon and the views for such a small scope were really very good. I used eyepieces from a 25mm up to a 4mm and the views were very sharp with very little CA.  I even went so far as to use the 4mm with a 2x barlow and the views did not lose its sharpness lots of detail although the image was dimmer, what more could one ask from a $90.00 scope.

Edited by George Methvin, 29 April 2020 - 09:44 AM.

• Jim1804, Agatha, jcj380 and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics