•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Adventure Scope 80

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#426 Kerbal01

Kerbal01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:49 AM

A simple scooter peg like the kids use bolts well to the dovetail or with a flatstock extention inbetween and makes an awesome matching handle as they come in most of the same colours and finishes as do dovetails. The handle that comes with the nano alt az is less than desired imho and especially with the altitude bearing so sticky.

I can relate to the sticky altitude bearing on the ES Twilight Nano AZ. Somewhat better if you tighten it with a socket wrench. Thanks for the tip about handles.

• StarHugger likes this

#427 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

I can relate to the sticky altitude bearing on the ES Twilight Nano AZ. Somewhat better if you tighten it with a socket wrench. Thanks for the tip about handles.

For a few dollars more than the Nano Alt Az, you can get the Nano EQ which has slow motion knobs. Yes it takes a little learning to use an EQ mount, but once you do, it has more potential. You can add a $35 tracking motor to it (some bracket mods needed), or  DIY RA guidng to it for beginning AP, and even GoTo.

https://www.cloudyni...-nano-eq-mount/

https://www.cloudyni...-project-ps-g2/

Here is pic taken with a DSLR and the Adventure 80 with RA guiding on the EXOS Nano EQ mount. 27x120" images stacked and post processed.

M42

Edited by hcf, 22 July 2020 - 04:56 PM.

• eros312, jcj380, Simon B and 2 others like this

#428 StarHugger

StarHugger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milton Wisconsin, U.S.A

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

Finished the extention and made a small adjustment to the altitude bearing lock nut and its working well, ready for Neowise tonight! I have this same guide handle setup on the AT80ED using the gso skyview too and its easy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200722_161708-1-1.jpg

• BFaucett likes this

#429 06AwzIyI

06AwzIyI

Explorer 1

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:31 PM

For a few dollars more than the Nano Alt Az, you can get the Nano EQ which has slow motion knobs. Yes it takes a little learning to use an EQ mount, but once you do, it has more potential. You can add a $35 tracking motor to it (some bracket mods needed), or  DIY RA guidng to it for beginning AP, and even GoTo.

https://www.cloudyni...-nano-eq-mount/
https://www.cloudyni...-project-ps-g2/

Here is pic taken with a DSLR and the Adventure 80 with RA guiding on the EXOS Nano EQ mount. 27x120" images stacked and post processed.

The exos nano eq is the best budget mount in my opinion, a great match for the st80 out of the box, with potential for if/when you want to step up to something a bit larger, like a 120mm

#430 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:54 PM

The exos nano eq is the best budget mount in my opinion, a great match for the st80 out of the box, with potential for if/when you want to step up to something a bit larger, like a 120mm

I would not put a 120mm refractor on the Nano EQ. The weight might be within specs, I am not sure the length will be good for it.  A shorter scope like a Mak/Sct might be ok with the legs unextended. I think it will also work better if you can put the mount on a heavy duty tripod.

The EXOS Nano EQ thread, discusses people's experiences with it with some scopes and is a good read for anyone interested in this mount. It does work very well for the Meade Adventure 80/ ST80 clones.

https://www.cloudyni...nano-eq-thread/

• BFaucett and 06AwzIyI like this

#431 06AwzIyI

06AwzIyI

Explorer 1

Posted 03 August 2020 - 04:36 PM

You realize explore scientific sells a 130mm newtonian with this same mount, as part of their FirstLight series, right? The only downside is the inadequate counterweight when buying the mount separately and the tripod is really the limiting factor for the max payload of 15lbs. The head itself could likely support more weight.

Edited by 06AwzIyI, 03 August 2020 - 04:37 PM.

• hcf likes this

#432 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

You realize explore scientific sells a 130mm newtonian with this same mount, as part of their FirstLight series, right? The only downside is the inadequate counterweight when buying the mount separately and the tripod is really the limiting factor for the max payload of 15lbs. The head itself could likely support more weight.

Yes, and they sell a 80mm F/11 refractor on it as well.

Honestly I don't think I would buy either of those combinations.

There are some people who tried a 114mm Newtonian and a longer refractor on it, on the EXOS Nano EQ thread.

• BFaucett likes this

#433 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:09 PM

Yep, ES (and other mainstream names) frequently sell vastly undermounted telescopes.  Just because they sell them that way doesn't mean the mount is adequate or will even work correctly out of the box.  And I say this as someone who is rather forgiving of mounts for visual.

My ES 127 Mak was not available as an OTA, so I went the cheapest route with an alt/az Nano mount (essentially a freebie.)  To nobody's surprise it really isn't a usable combination:  a scope with a narrow field of view and RDF, that will be used in the 200x range for planets on a flimsy push mount without any slow motion controls.    However, the mount is acceptable for short refractors at lower power.

Anyway, I assume this off topic drift is about a 120mm f/5.  Overall length is a bigger consideration for refractors.  At 600mm focal length...good luck with that, especially when sporting a 2" diagonal and eyepieces.  And as mentioned I wouldn't expect an 80 f/11 to work well either on such a mount.  I have an 80 f/11 and the 900mm focal length makes it more sensitive to mounting than an 80ED.  

• eros312, jcj380, hcf and 1 other like this

#434 scottmm2012

scottmm2012

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

Any users here, learning astrophotography with the Meade Adventure 80?  I've been fighting the distance for a perfect flat field and have accomplished it but now I am dealing with flexure in my crayford 2" focuser.   Has anyone had the same issues?  What did you do to improve flexure, besides extending the dovetail and using a ring reduce flexure?  Or is that the best approach, period?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics