•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Adventure Scope 80

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#26 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:38 AM

Great setup.  What solar filter did you have on the scope?

#27 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Great setup.  What solar filter did you have on the scope?

Thanks.  Its homemade filter with Baader Solar Film

IMG_5127.jpg

• mwedel, Crow Haven, astroneil and 1 other like this

#28 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Good price on Adventure 80.  It is the same as the discontinued Orion ST80.  Even with the not good tripod and other accessories, this is a great deal.  The backpack is very nice.  https://www.bhphotov...refracting.html

• PXR-5, Crow Haven and Bigern like this

#29 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami Fl.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

That is a great deal!!! I really like this scope, especially now with the GSO dual speed focuser smile.gif  It has become my most used scope.

#30 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

That is a great deal!!! I really like this scope, especially now with the GSO dual speed focuser smile.gif  It has become my most used scope.

The GSO is a fairly cheap focuser, and it costs significantly more than the entire scope.

#31 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Yup, and it is worth it.  grin.gif

• PXR-5, Crow Haven and OneGear like this

#32 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

I got one as a wide field finder for my C8. Works very well at this - bone stock... alright I’m using a better diagonal and EP.

It works very well in this capacity being a light scope. The optics, as someone else noted, came very clean, very nice coatings.

So the color I’m still warming up to - not my favorite as I really like the classic white that the Orion ST80 had. But it’s a great little scope at that price point - just don’t push the mags to high.

Clear skies!

• Crow Haven, Agatha and BFaucett like this

#33 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: Entropy, NC

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

It's a great scope :)
I have owned several ST80s and this one is every bit the same. Weird though, I just don't understand marketing. I'd love to know why Orion/Synta no longer have the rights to it and Meade does.
  • BFaucett likes this

#34 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

Great look! What kind of tripod is this? I see the brand, but they have a lot of tripods and I can't figure which one. I am curious if it would hold the weight of the ST80 + 2" focuser + 2" diagonal and eyepiece. 

Thanks for your help!

Great scope so far. I'm really happy with mine. I wanted an inexpensive tripod that would still fit inside the included backpack so I gave this one a try. It's definitely better than the included one! I was able to fit it inside the bag even with the tripod in it's cover which helps to protect the scope. I tried it out in the house and seems to work great but haven't had clear skies to really test it out. I was playing around with the tripod that came with the scope and found that if you tighten the head mount screw (which was loose on mine) the tripod is kinda usable lol.

#35 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Agatha, I like this idea. This would prevent me from having to buy two rings, which saves some money!

I plan to attach a ST80 (Meade Adventure) to a Twilight 1 or Porta II mount, and I think your way will be the path of least resistance. 

Do you happen to know what bolts/screws you used to connect the ScopeStuff dovetail to the stock dovetail on the Meade?

EDIT: I suppose the one downside is that the telescope would be mounted 90 degrees, placing the focus knobs at an odd angle. Hence why some use the rings!

Hmmmm.....Tony said his has only one bolt hole.  Maybe he's referring to something else?

Mine has two available holes on the little dovetail.  The dovetail is very tiny...not quite 2 inches and won't work in a Porta mount saddle by itself.  Here are a couple of pictures:

attachicon.gif image.jpeg

That is a ScopeStuff dovetail (8 1/4 inches). Longer than necessary.  My favorite short dovetail is the 7 inch from Astronomics.   https://www.astronom...ack_p17840.aspx

edit:  I should mention that the added dovetail is for using on other mounts with Vixen style saddles, for those who may be unfamiliar.  

Edited by Ryan555_1, 22 March 2018 - 07:45 PM.

#36 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

Ryan, the screws used for the ScopeStuff dovetail were 1/4-20. I used 12mm thread length as any longer would run into the tube.  

For a side mount like the Porta and others, using rings and dovetail gives you great versatility.  I like the Astro Tech dovetail because the underside is open from end to end allowing placement anywhere.  A dovetail does clear the tiny one on the 'scope.  The tiny one is easily removed if desired.  

image.jpeg

Oh lookie, Agena has a nice dovetail with long slots:https://agenaastro.c...-bar-180mm.html

And rings:  https://agenaastro.c...e-ring-3-5.html

One stop shop, good prices, in stock and free shipping.  Nice. smile.gif

I usually count on a short trip to the hardware store for appropriate cap screws.  

Have fun.  

• BinoGuy, BFaucett, M57Guy and 1 other like this

#37 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Thanks Agatha/Linda!

You were reading my mind throughout. I do think I would remove that mini-dovetail, as long as it does not expose the optics inside. I am glad to know I do not have to, however. 

I like those rings. I will get those! I like the Astro Tech dovetail as well, but I may have to use a longer one than 7". I plan to get a 2" focuser and diagonal rather quickly after purchase, and that will mean I will have to balance the scope much further back than you, hence the need for a longer dovetail. I hope I'm wrong, since I don't want a 10" dovetail attached!

Thanks for your help here. The visuals were insightful. 

Ryan, the screws used for the ScopeStuff dovetail were 1/4-20. I used 12mm thread length as any longer would run into the tube.  

For a side mount like the Porta and others, using rings and dovetail gives you great versatility.  I like the Astro Tech dovetail because the underside is open from end to end allowing placement anywhere.  A dovetail does clear the tiny one on the 'scope.  The tiny one is easily removed if desired.  

Oh lookie, Agena has a nice dovetail with long slots:https://agenaastro.c...-bar-180mm.html

And rings:  https://agenaastro.c...e-ring-3-5.html

One stop shop, good prices, in stock and free shipping.  Nice. smile.gif

I usually count on a short trip to the hardware store for appropriate cap screws.  

Have fun.  

#38 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

The screws just unscrew from the tube which will leave small thread holes.  Be sure to hold tube with the screws downwards because there is almost always some bits of metal that come with them. Then carefully clean the threaded holes of remnants.  You can plug the little holes with little plastic plugs or simply put some nice tape over them.  If using plugs, be careful not fo clamp a ring over one as it will dent the tube.   

Isn't this fun.   grin.gif

• Ryan555_1 likes this

#39 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

Hey all,

I wanted to mention this in this forum, in case anyone is curious and buying this scope in the future:

I had to return the first two scopes I received. Upon receiving both scopes, I tested them with my Olivon zoom at 8mm with a 2x barlow (so 100x) and other configurations that equaled about the same. I used bright stars as the object. The views were not good (circular, pinpoint, etc.), showing a comet-like picture. I removed the objective lens and messed with both, but they were not close to sharp. I thought perhaps this is the way the scope is, as some have mentioned. I thought I might be a bit neurotic, which I am.  lol.gif   But my third replacement was extremely sharp at 100x upon arrival. I even removed the lens and replaced it to see if it would remain this sharp. It is still good! (Don't get me wrong: These first two scopes were great for low power [20x and less], but I wanted to be able to go to 100x or even more to show Jupiter to my family during travel.)

I say this so people know that there are duds out there with the Meade Adventure Scope. I do not necessarily think that my experience is normal, but I thought I would mention this here for posterity. 

Okay, I'm going back outside with my C11 and ST80 in gorgeous Phoenix weather. Hope all this makes sense. 

Clear skies,

Ryan

Edited by Ryan555_1, 03 May 2018 - 10:47 PM.

• Procyon likes this

#40 MGD

MGD

Ranger 4

• Loc: Interlaken NY

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:44 AM

So you removed the objective on two different scopes and messed with them then sent them back as duds? What were you expecting perfection for 90 bucks? These are low power sweepers not planet killers. If high power was so important to you why didn't you just buy an ed 80 and be done with it.

#41 Simon B

Simon B

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:39 AM

So you removed the objective on two different scopes and messed with them then sent them back as duds? What were you expecting perfection for 90 bucks? These are low power sweepers not planet killers. If high power was so important to you why didn't you just buy an ed 80 and be done with it.

faster, cheaper, lighter, wider, brighter, smaller

• astroneil, Ryan555_1 and jonalmada like this

#42 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

faster, cheaper, lighter, wider, brighter, smaller

Exactly! 

And to clarify, the scopes came to me in a condition where they were unusable (comet-like) at about 30x and over, not just at higher powers. I messed with them to try to fix them, but to no avail. Meade told me the way they came was not how they should be. They recommended I return them. 

• Procyon, astroneil and Simon B like this

#43 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

I have the Meade Infinity 80mm.  I believe it the same exact scope except for the tripod it comes with and the blue color of the OTA.

I added a GSO dual speed focuser (I know, I know...) but now I can use a 2" eyepiece and get lost in the sky.  I also flocked the tube and dew shield to help improve contrast.   I have to say that for a very inexpensive little achro, I'm having a great time with it.  To relieve some of the CA I put the lens cover cap on with its smaller center cap removed.  It makes the scope an f/9.5 vs f/5 (the hole in the center of the lens cover is 42mm)  The other night I took a look at Jupiter and the rising moon and the view was surprisingly good for these aging eyes smile.gif

Clear skies,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• 80-2.jpg
  • 80-porta.jpg

Edited by ItsMeTony, 05 May 2018 - 10:48 AM.

• tony_spina, stevew, Traveler and 8 others like this

#44 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

I have the Meade Infinity 80mm.  I believe it the same exact scope except for the tripod it comes with and the blue color of the OTA.

I added a GSO dual speed focuser (I know, I know...) but Now I can use a 2" eyepiece and get lost in the sky.  I also flocked the tube and dew shield to help improve contrast.   I have to say that for a very inexpensive little achro, I'm having a great time with it.  To relieve some of the CA I put the lens cover cap on with its smaller center cap removed.  It makes the scope an f/9.5 vs f5 (the hole in the center of the lens cover is 42mm)  The other night I took a look at Jupiter and the rising moon and the view was surprisingly good for these aging eyes smile.gif

Clear skies,

Tony

Tony,

what mount are you using?

#45 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

It looks like a Porta head with the Manny Miles conversion, D

Edited by Binojunky, 05 May 2018 - 10:18 AM.

#46 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

I have a Porta II with the Manny Miles Bracket. It sits on a half pillar and the Vixen AL 150 Tall Tripod. It’s a pretty solid setup. I added a metal triangular accessory tray to the spreader arms for additional support
Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• Tripod (2).jpg

Edited by ItsMeTony, 05 May 2018 - 10:31 AM.

• astroneil, BFaucett, Ryan555_1 and 1 other like this

#47 Ryan555_1

Ryan555_1

Messenger

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

I added a GSO dual speed focuser (I know, I know...) but now I can use a 2" eyepiece and get lost in the sky.  I also flocked the tube and dew shield to help improve contrast.   I have to say that for a very inexpensive little achro, I'm having a great time with it.  To relieve some of the CA I put the lens cover cap on with its smaller center cap removed.  It makes the scope an f/9.5 vs f/5 (the hole in the center of the lens cover is 42mm)  The other night I took a look at Jupiter and the rising moon and the view was surprisingly good for these aging eyes smile.gif

Clear skies,

Tony

That's a nice setup. I use the same focuser. It really opens up the scope in dark skies. I look forward to flocking mine. I will get to that in the next month.

#48 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

The screws just unscrew from the tube which will leave small thread holes.  Be sure to hold tube with the screws downwards because there is almost always some bits of metal that come with them. Then carefully clean the threaded holes of remnants.  You can plug the little holes with little plastic plugs or simply put some nice tape over them.  If using plugs, be careful not fo clamp a ring over one as it will dent the tube.   

Isn't this fun.   grin.gif

Doing a similar thing on a Celestron 102mm scope I used a couple of short grub screws and a spot of thread locker(blue grade) , screwed them in flush, neat and tidy, they can be removed if ever the need presents itself, D.

• Agatha and Ryan555_1 like this

#49 Brollen

Brollen

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

I have to laugh because my Meade Adventure ST80 is simply amazing - I’ve looked through a lot of refractors and have some good ones to compare against. Many years ago I had an Orion ST80 that was a dud even though I lavished all manner of attention on it attempting to make it better. I got rid of it and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for these super fast small achros.

Recently I decided to try the ST80 again, mainly as a finder for my C8 ... but right after Orion stopped production. I noticed that Meade had something similar and thought “why not”. From the moment this Meade ST80 arrived, I knew it was different. The glass was so clean looking very clear and well figured. Nice coatings too. Looking at the full moon and Jupiter shows very little color and I can virtually eliminate it by working the stock focuser. I’ve dropped my ES 4.7mm and Vixen 3.5mm into it to view the moon, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars with little to no image breakdown. I’ve 2x barlowed the 4.7 and the views of Jupiter, Saturn and Mars were surprising were I can make out good details.

I’m a huge fan of the new Morpheus EPs. The views through the 17.5 and 12.5 mm EPs are killing me - they are so good edge to edge. I also recently upgraded to an Antares 2” focuser.

Anyways I could go on and on concerning what I’m sure is simply amazing fortune & dumb luck by which I received a very competent achro. The fit and finish isn’t much but the optics are great. I hope there are lots more of these out there - for this form factor and price, it is some kind of fun everyone should have!

Attached Thumbnails

• CC15A3DF-D5DF-446F-8404-8B19FE854943.jpeg

• RNSpeed, ItsMeTony, Agatha and 2 others like this

#50 Chandrayan

Chandrayan

Lift Off

• Loc: Edmonton, Canada

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:07 AM

Hello, I am a beginner - pl. bear with me, if this is a silly question.

Bought this Meade 80mm adventure scope based on reviews on this forum. It arrived today and upon unpacking noticed that there is some movement in the ota with accompanying sound that suggests something is loose (its not the focuser / screws etc at the back) -  couldn't tell whether the primary objective is moving/rotating or something else.

Is this normal with this scope ? 

Yet to see firstlight with it as weather is not conducive this week.

@Ryan555_1, you mentioned about removing the objective lens. Can you or someone who has done this briefly guide how to do this ? If there is an easier fix that would stop the movement/sound would like to try it out before sending it back (am in Canada and got it from US, want to avoid the hassle if possible).

Many thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics