•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Adventure Scope 80

• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#51 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:34 AM

Hello, I am a beginner - pl. bear with me, if this is a silly question.
Bought this Meade 80mm adventure scope based on reviews on this forum. It arrived today and upon unpacking noticed that there is some movement in the ota with accompanying sound that suggests something is loose (its not the focuser / screws etc at the back) - couldn't tell whether the primary objective is moving/rotating or something else.

Is this normal with this scope ?

Yet to see firstlight with it as weather is not conducive this week.
@Ryan555_1, you mentioned about removing the objective lens. Can you or someone who has done this briefly guide how to do this ? If there is an easier fix that would stop the movement/sound would like to try it out before sending it back (am in Canada and got it from US, want to avoid the hassle if possible).

Many thanks.

Slide the dew shield off. The lens are in a cell that screws right off. Hold your OTA upward and tap the side of the OTA while making sure the lens cell is screwed on all the way by slightly tightening it. Too much and you can pinch your optics.

#52 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:57 AM

I recently purchased one of these, I was able to get a few minutes of clearing tonight to take a look at Mars then Capella.  I usually check the retainer ring on inexpensive scopes before viewing, but this time I did not.  Mars looked worse than expected and did not really achieve focus so I used Capella for a quick star test.  The defocused image showed the textbook bulging triangle diffraction pattern that is caused by pinch from an overtightened retainer ring. I had the opposite problem of Chandrayan's, the retaining ring was so tight that it took me several minutes of effort before I was able to break it loose. 

After tapping it while vertical to settle the lenses back in place relative to one another, I retightened until it was just holding some light pressure.  The defocused star image looked right after that, as did the in focus image.  Mars actually showed some minor level of detail with a red #23 filter and was not bad at 100x considering how small it now is.   

This is better than what I expected from an 80mm f/5 achro.  It exceeds what my original ST80 has done for planetary in the past, and also has better figure than the Travel scope 70 (400mm focal length.) 

After the successful star/planet test I converted it to a 2" focuser (Lunt/GSO dual speed).  Had a little trouble as one of the stock screws had been badly boogered up during the original factory assembly and had been forced in with some sort of pliers/vice grips judging by the marks on the screw head.  Had to cut off about 1/3 of the screw and file some of the remainder on one side to get it to thread without wrecking the focusers threads. 

I planned to mount it on some rings I just received to better balance with 2" focuser/diagonal/eyepieces, but will need new fasteners.    The ones provided with the rings don't quite work with the dovetails I have. 

• BFaucett, Ryan555_1 and groom like this

#53 Chandrayan

Chandrayan

Lift Off

• Loc: Edmonton, Canada

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

Jond105 , thanks a lot. Will try it out and report back. Didn't expect such a quick response from someone...great forum this smile.gif

Redbetter, got a couple of tips from your post. Thanks.

#54 Chandrayan

Chandrayan

Lift Off

• Loc: Edmonton, Canada

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:15 PM

Jond105, The sounds are indeed due to the primary moving around and am able to fix it. Able to see a couple of objects before clouds moved in.... Will have to find a better mounting option for the scope and get some decent focuser, diagonal. Will start reading posts and look for improvement ideas. Thanks a lot.

• BFaucett and Jond105 like this

#55 jonalmada

jonalmada

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shingle Springs, Ca

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:41 PM

Hello - I'm just returning to the hobby after twenty years away from any serious observing. I started in the 1970s with a Coulter Optical 6 inch F8 and a 4 1/4 inch F4 Richest Field (still have the mirrors!). I remember the bad old days of gassing Tri-X film with hydrogen to get faster film to do astrophotography back in the day! I never did that and was an observational amateur only because a) I didn't have the cash and b) I was a little reluctant to work with hydrogen (See Hindenburg) lol.

I always wanted to try astrophotography and I figured I'd get into a nice simple rig to start with all the advances that have occurred since I left for twenty years in an aerospace career. I do have a CG-4 mount I bought in 2012 and I just received my Meade Adventure Scope this morning and it looks like a sweet little scope. I've got a T-adapter for my various Nikon DSLRs to use to try some first exposures, but what I need some advice on is how to mount this little beastie to my CG-4. What would you guys do to get this setup bolted to the CG-4? I'm retired and and on a fixed income so I can't do any super expensive solutions. Just need something that will work well and on a budget. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by jonalmada, 02 March 2019 - 03:45 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#56 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

A pair of economy tube rings and dove plate should do it. Orion sells both but you you might be able to save a few bucks by picking up a used dove plate. Post a Wanted on the Classified here for a dove plate. Just checked and their dovetail is like $22. Not sure you could save much buying used.

Good Luck!
Clark

Edited by Auburn80, 02 March 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#57 hcf

hcf

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:20 PM

You can get the tube rings at Agena Astro or Orion. Usually in the $30-$40 range.

If you use it with a  DSLR you will need a 7 or 8" long  dovetail to be able to the balance the scope in dec (the longer the better).  Make sure the size of the bolts in the rings match the  holes in the dovetail (some are 6mm metric vs some are 1/4").  If you get it wrong you will have to drill/tap/countersink holes in the dovetail.

Or you can buy the slotted dovetails

https://www.astronom...unts-black.html

or

https://www.ebay.com...er/202290103228

I use the Agena rings with the ebay svbony dovetail, I had to find bolts and washers which fit into the dovetail slot on my own.

Meade Adventure 80 on the ES EXOS Nano EQ mount

cam280
Meade Adventure 80 on ES EXOS Nano EQ

• RNSpeed and BFaucett like this

#58 eMKay

eMKay

Explorer 1

• Loc: Buffalo, NY

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

So is this still the same OTA as the ST80, and Infinity 80? I love the idea of a backpack starter scope of decent quality for my son, he is 7 and might not be ready for it yet, but he will eventually. And it seems with every passing year the lower cost stuff gets worse and worse. I mean I was thinking of getting the Orion GoScope 80 at $200 until I started researching it and find it’s now a plastic POS. How about the Celestron Travel Scope 80? It looks a lot like the Adventure scope 80. I mean, I’m all for treating it like buying a decent OTA and getting a free backpack, tossing all the other junk that comes with it, giving him some of my plossls and finding a decent tripod and other accessories. If the Adventure scope 80 is still decent I’ll buy it right now and just hang on to it, acquire the other accessories and give him a nice package when he’s ready. 

Edit: It’s $88 on Amazon right now, should I just pull the trigger?

Edited by eMKay, 01 June 2019 - 07:21 PM.

#59 eMKay

eMKay

Explorer 1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

Meade Adventure scope, 88 bucks, looks like a metal focuser with hammered paint to me!

A82F3294-597B-47E6-8638-9B717F534D26.png

#60 eMKay

eMKay

Explorer 1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

Meade Infinity 80, $150, nicer accessories? No backpack, looks like plastic to me...

F6E24C6D-E798-47DE-936E-70E863877AC3.jpeg

#61 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

Yes the Meade Adventure 80mm is the same as the old Orion ST80 and the new Meade Infinity 80mm.   The only difference is the paint color and the dovetail bar length. 

Buy it you will like it.  For me an 80mm f/5 scope is like an astronomy accessory like a red flash light, laser pointer, star charts (digital or paper), binoculars or observing chair.  You can always use it no matter what other scopes you may have.

I have one in the car with a light photo tripod and micro star mount.  I have flocked it and that improved the contrast, especially during daytime use

• BFaucett likes this

#62 eMKay

eMKay

Explorer 1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

Celestron Travel Scope 80, looks like smooth plastic where the Infinity looks like textured plastic. Has backpack. Like I said, I don’t care about the accessories except the backpack would be cool. Just want the best OTA. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 34864B16-2BE6-4FD1-AB31-AF6CEC522088.jpeg

#63 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

Meade Infinity 80, $150, nicer accessories? No backpack, looks like plastic to me...

attachicon.gif F6E24C6D-E798-47DE-936E-70E863877AC3.jpeg

Both the Meade infinity 80mm and the Meade Adventure 80mm have metal focusers.  The only difference is the color and the length of the dovetail bar..  the only plastic is the lens cell and the focus knobs 

• BFaucett and eMKay like this

#64 eMKay

eMKay

Explorer 1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

Yes the Meade Adventure 80mm is the same as the old Orion ST80 and the new Meade Infinity 80mm.   The only difference is the paint color and the dovetail bar length. 

Buy it you will like it.  For me an 80mm f/5 scope is like an astronomy accessory like a red flash light, laser pointer, star charts (digital or paper), binoculars or observing chair.  You can always use it no matter what other scopes you may have.

I have one in the car with a light photo tripod and micro star mount.  I have flocked it and that improved the contrast, especially during daytime use

Thanks. In the pictures I stole from Amazon it looks like the Infinity has a plastic focuser, but I can’t really tell. I’d rather get the Adventure anyway because that definitely looks like an old Orion st80. 

#65 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:44 PM

BTW, I have both. 

#66 eMKay

eMKay

Explorer 1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

BTW, I have both. 

Awesome, thanks. I just ordered the Adventure. So does the Infinity just come with better accessories? Better tripod? I don’t really care as like I said I’m going to replace it all, unless I find it actually works ok. 

#67 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:00 PM

Awesome, thanks. I just ordered the Adventure. So does the Infinity just come with better accessories? Better tripod? I don’t really care as like I said I’m going to replace it all, unless I find it actually works ok. 

Yes that is correct.   

The backpack is very good.  If you don't have one already get a 90 degree star diagonal.   The included diagonal is ok for daytime,  but for nighttime not ideal.   Ok to start

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,216&sr=8-8

• BFaucett likes this

#68 Rock22

Rock22

Messenger

• Loc: Diamond Bar, California

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

I have the 80mm Meade Adventure Scope and an Orion ST80-T (my first refractor). Same OTA. I recommend that when you get the scope, resettle the lenses by removing the dew shield, loosening the retaining ring, lightly shaking the scope with the lenses up, and then retightening the retaining ring just enough to keep the lenses in place.

I kept the Meade’s dovetail as is to use on a camera tripod (I have a Velbon carbon fiber). I did change out the focuser for a 2” Crayford (the $70 one from Lunt).

Very capable scope for the price. Found Comet Wirtanen with an ST80 and binoviewers using 20mm Plossls. Backpack is great, and I don’t use any of the other included accessories.

The Orion auto focuser (Accufocus?) works on the stock focuser. I think the ST80 (not the new one with all the plastic) is good for beginners and experienced users.

Hope you enjoy the scope as much as I do if not more!

Edited by Rock22, 01 June 2019 - 08:27 PM.

• JIMZ7 likes this

#69 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

Likely dozens of times dozens of us who own(ed) Meade’s 80s mentioned here, confirmed both new Meade’s reiterations of Orion’s ST80 are same Orion’s scope rebadged and painted in two different colors. The Adventure version comes with a decent backpack and virtually useless accessories. It makes sense it’s cheap, well, cheaper than the Infiniti version which comes with a useable tripod for visual and still subpar accessories. Either OTAs are usually improved with at least better focuser. But both are quite serviceable right out of the box (the Adventure reincarnation with a different tripod one hopefully already owns).

So, no difference between them and the ST80.
  • BFaucett likes this

#70 eMKay

eMKay

Explorer 1

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:35 AM

Likely dozens of times dozens of us who own(ed) Meade’s 80s mentioned here, confirmed both new Meade’s reiterations of Orion’s ST80 are same Orion’s scope rebadged and painted in two different colors. The Adventure version comes with a decent backpack and virtually useless accessories. It makes sense it’s cheap, well, cheaper than the Infiniti version which comes with a useable tripod for visual and still subpar accessories. Either OTAs are usually improved with at least better focuser. But both are quite serviceable right out of the box (the Adventure reincarnation with a different tripod one hopefully already owns).

So, no difference between them and the ST80.

I know, I was just making sure that it still is. Companies have a habit of swapping who manufactures their products without warning if they can save a buck. I almost bought the current Orion goscope because I thought it was an ST80 tube

#71 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:35 AM

don’t forget to post back when you get your scope. Let us know your thoughts about this little scope

if you are interested here is a thread I created on flocking the Meade Adventure 80

https://www.cloudyni...ng#entry8618561

#72 Hamlet

Hamlet

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new here and i will be happy to share my experience with this meade Adventure, But, first i have to Buy it first!, and i really need you'r advice: first of all, i've read this thread and it looks like this is something to have! And i would like to push it a little furder with the optics (eyepieces, barlows) take out all of his potencial! But keep it on the scope itself budget, ( buy an eyepiece that is more expencive than the scope doesn't make sence),so, should i But for it a barlow 2X or 3X, what kind of eyepiece would be more suitable, and should i buy a 2" focuser? Thanks to everyone!

Edited by Hamlet, 02 June 2019 - 08:29 PM.

#73 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:53 PM

... buy an eyepiece that is more expencive than the scope doesn't make sence ...

My 72ED (below) cost me about 240 quid. I have several eyepieces (and a diagonal) that actually cost more. Remember, the eyepiece is half of the telescope.

gallery_249298_10284_204257.jpg

• BFaucett likes this

#74 Hamlet

Hamlet

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:35 PM

Thanks, this will be my first telescope, and so far i know you are right, But...my girlfriend, with luck! will let me buy this telescope, imagine if I tell her that I want to buy another piece that will be even more expensive!!, she will kill me!!.....i need to keep it in a middle los budget, arround 80usd...above 150usd she will said: forget it!!! :-(

#75 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:17 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new here and i will be happy to share my experience with this meade Adventure, But, first i have to Buy it first!, and i really need you'r advice: first of all, i've read this thread and it looks like this is something to have! And i would like to push it a little furder with the optics (eyepieces, barlows) take out all of his potencial! But keep it on the scope itself budget, ( buy an eyepiece that is more expencive than the scope doesn't make sence),so, should i But for it a barlow 2X or 3X, what kind of eyepiece would be more suitable, and should i buy a 2" focuser? Thanks to everyone!

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

The best low cost eyepieces are the Celestron Omni Plossls or the GSO plossls

The 32mm (12x) is great for low power wide field views, I would not go below the 12mm plossl to keep the eye relief at a somewhat comfortable level

https://www.amazon.c...aps,1074&sr=8-3

The GSO Plossls

https://agenaastro.c...plossl/gso.html

The omni barlow 2x  is  very good and so is the GSO

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,205&sr=8-1

https://agenaastro.c...arlow-lens.html

Another good option are these expanse clones. The 6mm and 9mm are the best in the line

https://www.ebay.com...redirect=mobile

One more eyepiece option is this zoom

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-2

You will also need a 90 degree star diagonal 

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,216&sr=8-8

Edited by tony_spina, 02 June 2019 - 10:29 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics