•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2892 replies to this topic

#2776 CloudyIFR

CloudyIFR

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:25 AM

Is the threaded rod long enough to JB Weld a nut to the opposite side of the clamp?

#2777 ShropshireLad

ShropshireLad

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:30 AM

Is the threaded rod long enough to JB Weld a nut to the opposite side of the clamp?

The original rod is not long enough no, but the threaded rod comes in lengths that's easily long enough, but getting that part out is the first job ... 

But you can see in this photo that there is no room to add a nut, unless you carve out some of the mount where I have again arrowed.

Oh and can I ask  ..  what is a JB Weld??

clutch 2.jpg

#2778 Avocette

Avocette

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:11 AM

One option may be to have the present hole tapped with a larger thread size and use a matching thicker piece of studding (threaded rod). Do you know if both of the threads, i.e. inside the metal clamping piece and on the end of the rod are both gash?

#2779 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

Totally disassembling it and am using dish soap to get the sticky grease off and then replace it with lithium grease. there are seemingly endless metal shards in the stock unit. the roller bearing rolls much better now that all the shiny metal glitter and thick grease has been removed. Drying them off in the dehydrator. You can see the main unit sitting there, I added 4 metal pillars to attach the plate onto to. was able to get the accuracy to 0.01mm metal psots are going to be better than plastic spacers of course. 

reAYTtj.jpg

• Cometeer likes this

#2780 ShropshireLad

ShropshireLad

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:35 AM

One option may be to have the present hole tapped with a larger thread size and use a matching thicker piece of studding (threaded rod). Do you know if both of the threads, i.e. inside the metal clamping piece and on the end of the rod are both gash?

If that was the case the other side of that part would have to be enlarged as well (where the rod goes through) so dont know how that would work ... a captured nut where the arrow is would be a lot easier I think

#2781 CloudyIFR

CloudyIFR

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

JB Weld is a two part epoxy that hardens like steel, well close.  ;)

https://www.jbweld.c...-weld-twin-tube

Curtis

#2782 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

If that was the case the other side of that part would have to be enlarged as well (where the rod goes through) so dont know how that would work ... a captured nut where the arrow is would be a lot easier I think

You are mostly correct. I left the threads intact so I can tension the locknut agaisnt them to lock the nut in place. Theni when the lock knob (black) is turned it pushes the steel tube and compresses the this part to expand the clutch and add tension to the friction plate. 

YOu'll need to drill out some metal (circled in Red) to fit the lock nut. I think it is good because the piece if aluminum and could be soft. I do not think glue is required. 

9GkxHL3.jpg

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor, 29 March 2021 - 12:20 PM.

• markbc likes this

#2783 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 March 2021 - 10:03 PM

Cleaned and lubed it and now PHD2 won't clear the backlash and star guiding. hrm.

Edit: messing with settings for four hours I seem to have it working. Sat at RMS of 0.1 for both axis for each axis. So now that my ipolar mod is dead on now, clutches for RA and dec loosened so it can balance much better than before, I can get really good guiding now hopefully. Next clear night I will add on an imaging camera.

Video explaining revisions to my previously posted AZ-GTI. https://youtu.be/hqCMHO2334g

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor, 30 March 2021 - 10:30 AM.

• Bagwell and raadoo like this

#2784 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2021 - 12:07 PM

Here is a video of cleaning and reassembly. 
https://youtu.be/8YQgf_kuBSE

• ShropshireLad and raadoo like this

#2785 gpaunescu

gpaunescu

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 March 2021 - 03:31 AM

Here is a video of cleaning and reassembly. 
https://youtu.be/8YQgf_kuBSE

very tempting...

I only did try to fix backlash on DEC.

• raadoo likes this

#2786 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:51 AM

very tempting...

I only did try to fix backlash on DEC.

Oh i did an imagine run during the wind yesterday. It made all the difference in the world. It was windy and it reacted quickly and accurately. 

on another note, made a dither timer for AZ-GTI. 
https://www.youtube....cessorCreations

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor, 31 March 2021 - 07:56 AM.

#2787 72Nova

72Nova

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:14 AM

I'm having a blast tinkering with my AZGTi.  After using it for a couple of months in Alt/AZ I purchased a wedge (Hercules latitude base), Skywatcher counterweight kit (with adapter), and added an ASIAIR Pro and Talent Cell for power.

Last night I was able to polar align and plate solve with the ASIAIR Pro, AT80ED, and Canon 3ti.  I took images of M45, M42 and M44 until my camera battery died.  GOTO worked great using the AZGTi/ASIAIR combo and images were in the center of my FOV every time.  Unfortunately I took images in preview mode and then realized none of my images were saved frown.gif  I'll try again tomorrow.

I'm just thrilled that my project is coming together.  I'm thinking about adding an AT60ED (3.25lbs) for astrophotography and using the AT80ED in alt/az since I'm pushing the weight limit and my 80mm isn't ideal for imaging.

Attached Thumbnails

• AZGTi Thumb.jpg

• eros312, davidparks and Loach like this

#2788 Loach

Loach

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:10 AM

Who has used this Orion CAT wedge? It looks less flimsy than the Skywatcher version. Even the latitude bolt looks better. But it is $69. I feel that if it is much better, it should be more expensive. No? 

attachicon.gif51cNuMq0c7L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I have the Orion wedge, the William Optics wedge and of course the Skywatcher wedge I started with. The Orion wedge is the one I use the most. Although the WO wedge has the best build quality the adjustment knobs are small and require a more firm pinch grip to adjust which for me anyway, I find annoying. My WO wedge has thus been placed on my Carbon Fiber travel tripod and lately doesn't get out much anymore. My original AZ-GTI tripod and Skywatcher wedge are now part of my Star Adventurer kit. The Orion wedge which I feel is of better build quality than the Skywatcher wedge, now sits on an iOptron tripod with the Skywatcher pier extention. This is my all around grab and go tripod for my AZ-GTI. Now to answer your question, I find it by far the easiest to use and quickest to get me polar aligned when using the polar alignment routine in my ASIAIR. It is also the easiest to crank up to a level attitude when I want to do visual observing in Alt/Az mode.

Edited by Loach, 07 April 2021 - 09:24 AM.

• kel123 likes this

#2789 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:51 AM

I have the Orion wedge, the William Optics wedge and of course the Skywatcher wedge I started with. The Orion wedge is the one I use the most. Although the WO wedge has the best build quality the adjustment knobs are small and require a more firm pinch grip to adjust which for me anyway, I find annoying. My WO wedge has thus been placed on my Carbon Fiber travel tripod and lately doesn't get out much anymore. My original AZ-GTI tripod and Skywatcher wedge are now part of my Star Adventurer kit. The Orion wedge which I feel is of better build quality than the Skywatcher wedge, now sits on an iOptron tripod with the Skywatcher pier extention. This is my all around grab and go tripod for my AZ-GTI. Now to answer your question, I find it by far the easiest to use and quickest to get me polar aligned when using the polar alignment routine in my ASIAIR. It is also the easiest to crank up to a level attitude when I want to do visual observing in Alt/Az mode.

Thank you very much for this valuable information. I should make an order quickly before it goes out of stock.
  • Loach likes this

#2790 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:07 PM

I’ve finalized the “AIR-GTi”, now available on Thingiverse.  Power and Data between the AIR and the GTi are internally connected, with data going thru an FTDI circuit (EQMOD).  A 3D printed mount for the ZWO EAF on the C5 completes the rig

AIR-GTi
AIR-GTi
AIR-GTi
AIR-GTi
AIR-GTi
AIR-GTi

EDIT: included Thingiverse Link

Edited by davidparks, 15 April 2021 - 10:42 PM.

• eros312, LauraMS, tkottary and 7 others like this

#2791 NearVision

NearVision

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:59 PM

Link?

Searching thingiverse only finds VW parts.

Thanks! Looks very interesting.

And, I just saw your other topic with a link in thingiverse. Sorry for jumping the gun. It still looks very interesting! :)

Edited by NearVision, 15 April 2021 - 10:03 PM.

#2792 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:09 PM

I’ve finalized the “AIR-GTi”, now available on Thingiverse.  Power and Data between the AIR and the GTi are internally connected, with data going thru an FTDI circuit (EQMOD).  A 3D printed mount for the ZWO EAF on the C5 completes the rig

Pretty neat design.  I can't tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look like there is much in the way of vents for airflow.  A Pi can run pretty hot.  How are you handling the heat?

#2793 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:41 PM

Pretty neat design.  I can't tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look like there is much in the way of vents for airflow.  A Pi can run pretty hot.  How are you handling the heat?

There is a fairly substantial heat sink on the processor of the pi itself, along with heat putty on the power distribution board.  I’ve been monitoring continuous usage with the ASI294 cooler near 50%, and Dew Strap at 100% along with the mount and EAF which neither pull very many amps.  The temperature of the CPU has peaked and seems to have settled at 67 Celsius after 3 hours (The AIR will give warning at 80 Celsius)

I think I’ll be fine on the heat, however, should I find more ventilation is required then it’s a simple thing to just reprint waytogo.gif

• premk19, sbradley07 and Rasfahan like this

#2794 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:11 AM

How do you balance all that stuff with only the one weight? I am using the Star Adventurer CW bar and need to add a second weight to get good balance with a 61EDPH, ASIAIR and a 183MC. The C5 and 80ED kits look much heavier. Is the AZ-GTI CW bar longer? It‘s out of stock everywhere right now, just thinking about making my own.

Thanks for posting the videos on DEC adjustment, will try that, the backlash is huge currently.

#2795 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:05 AM

How do you balance all that stuff with only the one weight?

In my case I am not balancing so much as I am merely counter-weighting... meaning the opposing weight just serves to keep the rig steady and provides (some) motor/gear torque relief.  By no means is this balanced, it's just better than if there were no weight at all.  I use a 5lb weight + 1lb bar from an old EQ1 mount I had.

Just a note on the weight of the C5, the OTA is ~6lbs which is one of the reasons I've kept it as my "portable long focal length" tool.  Although a C6 is only 1" larger in aperture, the OTA is surprisingly larger and heavier in comparison, relatively speaking.  I've had both, and would never put the C6 on the AZGTi (after trying it), but the C5 rides like it isn't ever there.

• eros312 and Bagwell like this

#2796 SpaceOddities

SpaceOddities

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:09 AM

How do you balance all that stuff with only the one weight? I am using the Star Adventurer CW bar and need to add a second weight to get good balance with a 61EDPH, ASIAIR and a 183MC. The C5 and 80ED kits look much heavier. Is the AZ-GTI CW bar longer? It‘s out of stock everywhere right now, just thinking about making my own.

Thanks for posting the videos on DEC adjustment, will try that, the backlash is huge currently.

You can use any M12 shaft from a department store, they work perfectly fine. I was tired of using the one from the Star Adventurer, because it requires a tiny adapter, and I already lost it once. I was also worried it remains stuck in the AZ-GTi... and good luck to pull it out!

IMG_0236.JPG

David, this AIR-GTi is simply awesome, well done! I've been dreaming of this for some time now. I'd love to give it a go, however I'm a bit hesitant to make modifications to both the ASIAIR and the AZ-GTi... 

I guess it would be easy to add a small fan at the top and air vents on the sides, perhaps even with some kind of mesh filter like this one to keep the dust out? In hot summer nights, the inside of the case might get hot.

Edited by SpaceOddities, 16 April 2021 - 09:10 AM.

• Goverman likes this

#2797 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:58 AM

Is this based of my model? I gave it to a few people I can't remember.
If you did this your self hats off to you. It's a tricky shape. Looks great

#2798 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:02 AM

Thanks Pierre!  yes I too was a bit hesitant but several factors bade me press forward:  My 3d Printer was begging for a new DIY (it wouldn't shut up about it!), I had a second ASIAIR Pro, and while the thought of breaking what apparently is the best performing AZGTi on the planet troubled me, the coolness factor overcame my doubts.

After identifying solder points for power on both, usb on the air, and hand controller on the GTi, it just seemed more doable.  I did have to obtain a nice set of "helping hands" with lighted magnifying glass to get the soldering done.  The one real curve ball was needing to include the FTDI circuit, which I scavenged out of a Lynx Astro cable.  The whole thing is fairly non-destructive (except for the Lynx Astro cable), so I could separate the AIR and the GTi back into functioning originals If I had to.  The rest was just designing the case, which was inspired by CardBoardBoxProcessor, and modeled a bit after the AIR Pro's aluminum case.  I did the design using Shapr3d on the iPad.

It's nice not needing to find a mounting point, dovetail, or what have you for the AIR on the C5, which just has the one connection point already used by the guidescope, and the AIR 5ghz WiFi signal isn't hindered by a metal enclosure waytogo.gif

• SpaceOddities likes this

#2799 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

Ah I hope it wasn't too much trouble. I'd have handed you most of my model if asked heh.
Thanks for the mention. :) Can you mention me on thingiverse? I think i have an account. I hope this kind of mod takes off. The AIR is so popular I feel like mounts need this plugs In it. Hopefully manufacturers catch on and add them soon

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor, 16 April 2021 - 10:12 AM.

#2800 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:19 AM

Is this based of my model? I gave it to a few people I can't remember.
If you did this your self hats off to you. It's a tricky shape. Looks great

I designed it from the ground up, although inspired by your "EQ-GTi", which is awesome, particularly for DSLR users.  Yours definitely turned the light bulb on for me.

I think I had an easier time than you when figuring the curvy shape (nice video you posted on that).  What I was able to do, using Shapr3d on the iPad was simply take a side profile picture of the AZGTi using the iPad camera and import that as a transparent layer to trace the curve into the cad drawing.  The rest was just measuring the AIR case and AZGTi body.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics