•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2892 replies to this topic

#2801 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:35 AM

I designed it from the ground up, although inspired by your "EQ-GTi", which is awesome, particularly for DSLR users.  Yours definitely turned the light bulb on for me.

I think I had an easier time than you when figuring the curvy shape (nice video you posted on that).  What I was able to do, using Shapr3d on the iPad was simply take a side profile picture of the AZGTi using the iPad camera and import that as a transparent layer to trace the curve into the cad drawing.  The rest was just measuring the AIR case and AZGTi body.

Ah yeah. I am stubborn and tried use only my calipers lol.  Got it eventually. I wasn't to much time. I forwarded your post to those that had asked for the model for this exact purpose of adding an AIR. If you ever want to mount a polar camera I think I've a video on that as well :)  Isn't the lack of a bunch of wires hanging down just awesome? 

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor, 16 April 2021 - 10:36 AM.

#2802 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:00 AM

Isn't the lack of a bunch of wires hanging down just awesome? 

Oh yes! Agreed!, one of my favorite benefits of these types of mods.  Cable management is a near and dear topic for me, so much so that I always source the exact length of USB and DC power cables that I need instead of what usually comes with a new device.  In fact, I just ordered the new ZWO 5v EAF simply to reduce having a 12v cable going to the focuser cool.gif  (and so I don' t have to keep re-mounting my other from the Redcat).  Another cool thing is having one ring ... er... power button to rule them all waytogo.gif  The AZGTi (and everything else) can be powered on/off in software via the AIR, including modulating the dew strap.

#2803 SpaceOddities

SpaceOddities

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:17 PM

That's really amazing! Thanks for the explanation. I totally get the need for a DIY project like this, and it seems fairly easy to revert indeed.

#2804 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:49 PM

Oh yes! Agreed!, one of my favorite benefits of these types of mods.  Cable management is a near and dear topic for me, so much so that I always source the exact length of USB and DC power cables that I need instead of what usually comes with a new device.  In fact, I just ordered the new ZWO 5v EAF simply to reduce having a 12v cable going to the focuser cool.gif  (and so I don' t have to keep re-mounting my other from the Redcat).  Another cool thing is having one ring ... er... power button to rule them all waytogo.gif  The AZGTi (and everything else) can be powered on/off in software via the AIR, including modulating the dew strap.

wow Zwo charge $200 for a nema 17 stepper motor in a fancy box? I could make that for $40 at the most. even have bluetooth for phone app control lol. what a scam. maybe even esp to have it controlled via wifi webpage interface. super easy. 

#2805 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:12 AM

wow Zwo charge $200 for a nema 17 stepper motor in a fancy box? I could make that for $40 at the most. even have bluetooth for phone app control lol. what a scam. maybe even esp to have it controlled via wifi webpage interface. super easy.

Why not make and sell them for $100 or less?

#2806 Shopaholic

Shopaholic

Mariner 2

• Loc: East Bay, California

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:52 PM

I am getting failure to calibrate last several days after North step star not moving enough message. Any advice on what the settings should be in Asiair under guiding tab? ( dec and RA times and calibration step time). Thanks.

#2807 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:05 AM

Where can I order yours? I need an ASCOM and an INDI driver. And enough reliability for remote operations. And a temperature sensor with automatic compensation. And adapters for my focusers (I have an Esprit 100ED and a 61EDPH). You will, of course, need to honor the mandatory EU-wide 14 day return period, 1 year unlimited and 2 year limited warranty. S&H will need to be on you as will the customs formalities and of course I need a declaration of CE compliance. I will pay customs+tax on import. I think with a 100% markup at USD 80 we are in business, right?

#2808 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:16 AM

Are you certain your DEC axis is not having too much backlash? The standard values work for me.

I am getting failure to calibrate last several days after North step star not moving enough message. Any advice on what the settings should be in Asiair under guiding tab? ( dec and RA times and calibration step time). Thanks.

#2809 Shopaholic

Shopaholic

Mariner 2

• Loc: East Bay, California

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:15 PM

Hi @Rasfahan, I think there might be as the backlash correction steps are going over 100+ before the North calibration fails. Any idea how to correct the backlash of the dec?

#2810 Goverman

Goverman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Den Haag, The Netherlands

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:39 AM

You can use any M12 shaft from a department store, they work perfectly fine. I was tired of using the one from the Star Adventurer, because it requires a tiny adapter, and I already lost it once. I was also worried it remains stuck in the AZ-GTi... and good luck to pull it out!

attachicon.gifIMG_0236.JPG

David, this AIR-GTi is simply awesome, well done! I've been dreaming of this for some time now. I'd love to give it a go, however I'm a bit hesitant to make modifications to both the ASIAIR and the AZ-GTi... 

I guess it would be easy to add a small fan at the top and air vents on the sides, perhaps even with some kind of mesh filter like this one to keep the dust out? In hot summer nights, the inside of the case might get hot.

Just use an M12 shaft from a hardware store. Why did I not think of this earlier... I'm off now to a hardware store :)

#2811 CardBoardBoxProcessor

CardBoardBoxProcessor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:01 AM

I currently don't have the time to make such a device. But driving steppers is easy, driving through bluetooth is super easy as well. to sell that for $200 is crazy. especially when they have bulk ordering parts power. 

#2812 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

Hi @Rasfahan, I think there might be as the backlash correction steps are going over 100+ before the North calibration fails. Any idea how to correct the backlash of the dec?

Sorry for the late reply. There are some posts further up that show the procedure. But it only works if the backlash is not within the motor assembly itself. I just guide in one direction. Try to manually pick up the backlash before (and after!) calibration. That said, I would not recommend this as one‘s primary or first imaging mount.

#2813 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:07 AM

I currently don't have the time to make such a device. But driving steppers is easy, driving through bluetooth is super easy as well. to sell that for $200 is crazy. especially when they have bulk ordering parts power. 

Well, neither do I. So I spend the money. On a serious note, I do think the sum of software and hardware  is more complex than just the parts. And other electronic focusing solutions with controller do not come much cheaper. But I fear I am derailing this AZ-GTI thread.

So: that integrated imaging solution built above with the ASIAIR is *nice*. Can you use ASIAIR to build a pointing model? That would be great for visual.

#2814 flatlander

flatlander

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

I will preface this by saying I am VERY new to this (my first post)..  I got the AP bug using my Star Adventure with a modified Canon DSLR and a couple lenses (200 2.8, 300 2.8, 400 5.6).  Very happy with results getting 3min exposures reliably.  Issue was in finding things to shoot other than Orion's nebula as I was(easy to find in 2.8 lens, more challenging in 5.6 lens) so I wanted goto...

Last week received my AZ-GTe  (didn't realize there was a difference between GTi & GTe) running with 3.26 firmware (now will have to downgrade to 3.2 after reading this very useful thread).

Last night was first clear night so though I would get a few test shots to see how it tracks just with the Android Synscan Pro.   

Steps I took..

1) Set up a leveled tripod with EQ wedge, GTe at home position, Polaris in center of liveview screen.  (using StarTravel 102 and Canon)

2) Powered on GTe, connected android to GTe wifi, start Synscan, select EQ mode, selected utility/info to confirm mount is thinking it is at -90 & 90

3) selected alignment and perform a two star alignment (picked Arcturus and Procyon) made a few small adjustments and turned on tracking

4) selected Deep Sky and chose M42, selected GoTo

5) It worked!  took a half dozen 60 sec shots with 3/6 good...   Thought I needed better polar alignment...

6) selected user objects/terrestrial/home (preprogrammed to -90/90)  and scope moved back close to Polaris.

7) powered all off and started over after repoint back to Polaris with EQ wedge .....

8) reset alignment and repeated Step 2 and 3

9) selected advanced/polar alignment and chose Capella (not sure why Polaris was not an option)

10) scope moved very close to Capella, slowed down,  then went nuts and moved about 90 degrees past and stopped pointing below horizon. 

11) selected user objects/terrestrial/home (preprogrammed to -90/90) and the scope moved to some random place in the sky it thought was -90/90

12) manually moved scope with arrows to home, checked info and it thought it was pointed somewhere else (seems to have gotten lost)

13) repeated step 7, 8

14) instead of Polar align I just selected Polaris and goto....  scope moved towards Polaris, slowed, then again accelerated away and stopped in a random position again getting lost and losing its position.... not able to go back to home again pointing in a random spot...

Long post...  but any idea what I am doing wrong?  Mount seems to loose its location in the sky...

Help greatly appreciated...

#2815 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:21 PM

I will preface this by saying I am VERY new to this (my first post)..  I got the AP bug using my Star Adventure with a modified Canon DSLR and a couple lenses (200 2.8, 300 2.8, 400 5.6).  Very happy with results getting 3min exposures reliably.  Issue was in finding things to shoot other than Orion's nebula as I was(easy to find in 2.8 lens, more challenging in 5.6 lens) so I wanted goto...

Last week received my AZ-GTe  (didn't realize there was a difference between GTi & GTe) running with 3.26 firmware (now will have to downgrade to 3.2 after reading this very useful thread).

Last night was first clear night so though I would get a few test shots to see how it tracks just with the Android Synscan Pro.   

Steps I took..

1) Set up a leveled tripod with EQ wedge, GTe at home position, Polaris in center of liveview screen.  (using StarTravel 102 and Canon)

2) Powered on GTe, connected android to GTe wifi, start Synscan, select EQ mode, selected utility/info to confirm mount is thinking it is at -90 & 90

3) selected alignment and perform a two star alignment (picked Arcturus and Procyon) made a few small adjustments and turned on tracking

4) selected Deep Sky and chose M42, selected GoTo

5) It worked!  took a half dozen 60 sec shots with 3/6 good...   Thought I needed better polar alignment...

6) selected user objects/terrestrial/home (preprogrammed to -90/90)  and scope moved back close to Polaris.

7) powered all off and started over after repoint back to Polaris with EQ wedge .....

8) reset alignment and repeated Step 2 and 3

9) selected advanced/polar alignment and chose Capella (not sure why Polaris was not an option)

10) scope moved very close to Capella, slowed down,  then went nuts and moved about 90 degrees past and stopped pointing below horizon. 

11) selected user objects/terrestrial/home (preprogrammed to -90/90) and the scope moved to some random place in the sky it thought was -90/90

12) manually moved scope with arrows to home, checked info and it thought it was pointed somewhere else (seems to have gotten lost)

13) repeated step 7, 8

14) instead of Polar align I just selected Polaris and goto....  scope moved towards Polaris, slowed, then again accelerated away and stopped in a random position again getting lost and losing its position.... not able to go back to home again pointing in a random spot...

Long post...  but any idea what I am doing wrong?  Mount seems to loose its location in the sky...

Help greatly appreciated...

Did you reset the alignment in the app? Also close and restart the app, is what I tend to do after the alignment reset.

• flatlander likes this

#2816 gpaunescu

gpaunescu

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

downgrade to 3.20 and give a try; the same behaviour I had with 3.26

• flatlander likes this

#2817 flatlander

flatlander

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

Thanks, yes I did...  Step 7 & 8 in that order then again in step 13.   But did the power off before the reset not after...  perhaps that matters?

#2818 flatlander

flatlander

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:29 PM

downgrade to 3.20 and give a try; the same behaviour I had with 3.26

THanks.  Will do that next!     just reverted to 3.2 and did a daytime dry run...   it does seem to be working now.  Appreciate the hint!

Edited by flatlander, 21 April 2021 - 01:42 PM.

#2819 SpaceOddities

SpaceOddities

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:52 PM

I recycled my ASIAIR v1 in this ultra-portable setup! It's powered by the tripod itself 😄 I found this battery that has 1/4" screw on both sides, just added a 1/4" to 3/8" converter so it could support the AZ-GTI.

This small tripod is amazing, so stable and solid. The legs have 2 positions, either flat like this or 45 degrees. The whole thing is surprisingly stable! The ASIAIR is attached to one of the legs with a finder shoe & dovetail.

Seems like a nice little setup for EAA!

6F2FAAAF-F6C8-4D16-8972-85D192B6B81B.jpeg

AE6B7FA5-B994-44B2-809D-4F27E5081BDB.jpeg

• eros312, davidparks, Michal Juul and 4 others like this

#2820 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:33 AM

I recycled my ASIAIR v1 in this ultra-portable setup! It's powered by the tripod itself I found this battery that has 1/4" screw on both sides, just added a 1/4" to 3/8" converter so it could support the AZ-GTI.

This small tripod is amazing, so stable and solid. The legs have 2 positions, either flat like this or 45 degrees. The whole thing is surprisingly stable! The ASIAIR is attached to one of the legs with a finder shoe & dovetail.

Seems like a nice little setup for EAA!

attachicon.gif6F2FAAAF-F6C8-4D16-8972-85D192B6B81B.jpeg

attachicon.gifAE6B7FA5-B994-44B2-809D-4F27E5081BDB.jpeg

Do you use this AZ set up for astrophotography? 

#2821 jmt

jmt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

I apologies if i open this thread, just done some research but did not arrive at any conclusion.

I have the AZ GTi wifi, and I'm looking for a hand controller to use instead of the iOS/Android app (which lose connection almost any time).

What would be a good choice? Could anyone share some link and his/her opinions?
Thanks everyone for the help

Jacopo m.t.

Edited by jmt, 28 April 2021 - 11:58 AM.

#2822 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:28 PM

I apologies if i open this thread, just done some research but did not arrive at any conclusion.
I have the AZ GTi wifi, and I'm looking for a hand controller to use instead of the iOS/Android app (which lose connection almost any time).
What would be a good choice? Could anyone share some link and his/her opinions?
Thanks everyone for the help

Jacopo m.t.

https://www.amazon.c...z/dp/B084GN77KP

https://www.teleskop...oTo-Mounts.html

https://www.teleskop...oTo-Mounts.html

One of them is Orion but it works the same.

#2823 garjor

garjor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

Do you mean I can use the Orion hand controller with SkyWatcher mounts?

#2824 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:40 PM

Do you mean I can use the Orion hand controller with SkyWatcher mounts?

Synta is the parent company of Orion and Sky-watcher.  Many products are the same, just with different labels.  You want a Synscan AZ hand controller, provided under both the Orion and S-W labels. 

#2825 jmt

jmt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:43 PM

thank you Kel, really kind ^^

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics