I will preface this by saying I am VERY new to this (my first post).. I got the AP bug using my Star Adventure with a modified Canon DSLR and a couple lenses (200 2.8, 300 2.8, 400 5.6). Very happy with results getting 3min exposures reliably. Issue was in finding things to shoot other than Orion's nebula as I was(easy to find in 2.8 lens, more challenging in 5.6 lens) so I wanted goto...
Last week received my AZ-GTe (didn't realize there was a difference between GTi & GTe) running with 3.26 firmware (now will have to downgrade to 3.2 after reading this very useful thread).
Last night was first clear night so though I would get a few test shots to see how it tracks just with the Android Synscan Pro.
Steps I took..
1) Set up a leveled tripod with EQ wedge, GTe at home position, Polaris in center of liveview screen. (using StarTravel 102 and Canon)
2) Powered on GTe, connected android to GTe wifi, start Synscan, select EQ mode, selected utility/info to confirm mount is thinking it is at -90 & 90
3) selected alignment and perform a two star alignment (picked Arcturus and Procyon) made a few small adjustments and turned on tracking
4) selected Deep Sky and chose M42, selected GoTo
5) It worked! took a half dozen 60 sec shots with 3/6 good... Thought I needed better polar alignment...
6) selected user objects/terrestrial/home (preprogrammed to -90/90) and scope moved back close to Polaris.
7) powered all off and started over after repoint back to Polaris with EQ wedge .....
8) reset alignment and repeated Step 2 and 3
9) selected advanced/polar alignment and chose Capella (not sure why Polaris was not an option)
10) scope moved very close to Capella, slowed down, then went nuts and moved about 90 degrees past and stopped pointing below horizon.
11) selected user objects/terrestrial/home (preprogrammed to -90/90) and the scope moved to some random place in the sky it thought was -90/90
12) manually moved scope with arrows to home, checked info and it thought it was pointed somewhere else (seems to have gotten lost)
13) repeated step 7, 8
14) instead of Polar align I just selected Polaris and goto.... scope moved towards Polaris, slowed, then again accelerated away and stopped in a random position again getting lost and losing its position.... not able to go back to home again pointing in a random spot...
Long post... but any idea what I am doing wrong? Mount seems to loose its location in the sky...
Help greatly appreciated...