•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2891 replies to this topic

#2826 SpaceOddities

SpaceOddities

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:37 PM

Do you use this AZ set up for astrophotography? 

For planetary, yes. For deep sky, I use it with a latitude base in equatorial mode. Although, so far, only on a normal tripod. The setup above is just a test!

#2827 jeffry7

jeffry7

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:46 PM

If you are running the SyncScan Pro app on your Android device and your Android device has recently upgraded to 11, you may find that the app no longer works. For me when I tried to open the app, it would close again imedietely.

There are complaints to this affect on the Google Play store about this too.

There is a new version of the app available on the SkyWatcher site. It is version 1.19.12.

I have tried this and it fixes the crash issue.

Presumably they will move this over the the Google Play store soon.

#2828 lpalbou

lpalbou

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

It's been over 2 years that I have the AZ GTI and it has been fairly consistent.

Unguided, the AZ GTI is not great and both the skyguider pro & skywatcher adventurer perform better. BUT guided, this mount performs incredibly well:

AZ GTI guiding

Note this graph was with a 4" Y-axis scale. 0.93" over 400s with a 13 lbs payload.

With such a low RMS, you can image 6mn+ at 30x (e.g. 1000mm on a FF sensor).

I am even considering buying a second one, even if I have too many mounts already as it is. I wonder if skywatcher will create a second iteration of this very successful mount.

Edited by lpalbou, 04 May 2021 - 12:38 PM.

• eros312, davidparks, 72Nova and 1 other like this

#2829 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: SunnyVale ,CA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:34 PM

Has anyone looked into replacing the planetary gearheads?I see eqmod allows to input custom gear ratio

#2830 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

BUT guided, this mount performs incredibly well:

I too have always been very happy with it's guided performance.

I now know how to tune in the guiding rate, aggression, and guide exposure for even better performance, but even right at the beginning using just the default settings I was immediately impressed with the guiding performance of this mount.   It always worked great using PHD2 on a Windows PC (ascom), and later I found the ASIAIR Pro just the perfect little controller to keep the whole package extremely portable.  I find with the ASIAIR Pro I can dial the guiding RMS pretty close to whatever seeing conditions I have that night. waytogo.gif

AIR-GTi

• eros312, Bagwell, 72Nova and 1 other like this

#2831 lpalbou

lpalbou

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:40 PM

@davidparks that looks like an incredible compact form factor.. Did you really fit the ASIAIR pro inside the AZ GTI and 3D print that cover ? If yes, would you share the 3D print ? smile.gif I thought the ASIAIR pro would be too big to fit.. maybe you also remove the red cover of that one too ?

I do use a pc stick + mini usb key for access point.. and I pilot the whole thing from my ipad. So it's still very lightweight and simple but having the computer inside the mount.. is fantastic. You just need the battery and your phone / ipad.. ok I am jealous lol.gif  If you have a thread or blog detailing those changes, I am interested !

#2832 lpalbou

lpalbou

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:50 PM

Actually if you redesigned the AZ GTI cover.. I would have gone even a step further (maybe you did on the other side) and put support for a small guide scope / guide camera.. But having tried, I remember it can also block the rotation of the RA axis depending of your wedge, so maybe that's why you didn't.. But imagine such a small mount, with the computer and with the guider in it... shocked.gif

#2833 AaronF

AaronF

Mariner 2

• Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:09 AM

@davidparks that looks like an incredible compact form factor.. Did you really fit the ASIAIR pro inside the AZ GTI and 3D print that cover ? If yes, would you share the 3D print ? smile.gif I thought the ASIAIR pro would be too big to fit.. maybe you also remove the red cover of that one too ?

Check out pages #110 and #112 of this thread :)

• lpalbou likes this

#2834 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:35 AM

CardboardboxProccessor first did a case which included the iOptron iPolar, and which inspired me to build out the AIR-GTi.   I've made the AIR-GTi case available on Thingiverse.

ZWO ASIAIR Pro has Polar Alignment built in using the main imaging camera, so I couldn't really think of any reason to include anything else in the case design.  On my Redcat 51, I use an OAG, and on the C5 simply mount the 30mm guidescope in the OTA's finder bracket (no need for a finder) and connect the guidecam usb to the hub on the main image camera, so again, i just couldn't think of any reason to mount anything else on/in the 3d printed case.

Yes the red aluminum case is removed from the ASIAIR, which not only lets the AIR fit perfectly inside the case, but removes the wifi interference/range impediment caused by the metal waytogo.gif

https://www.cloudyni...gti-asiair-pro/

• eros312 and lpalbou like this

#2835 thijsvc

thijsvc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Hi all, new here

I just bought a AZ GTI, I use it with my Skywatcher 80ed. Mainly visual, with some smartphone AP (all in AZ mode).

Mine came loaded with 3.26, it works fine for me.

I was hoping to track some sattelites with it, and came acros some software on the Skyvieuw website. Also this guide on how to use it: https://www.youtube....bbuHixaA&t=374s

But I cant get it to work, the Previsat software gives me errors and the Sattelite Tracker program just doesnt start up.

Has anybody here gotten this to work?

#2836 Bazooka302

Bazooka302

Lift Off

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:45 AM

This is strictly a question for alt-az useage. Can the mount be connected to 2 Synscan apps at the same time? I set up last night using level/north connected to my laptop. My first star was way off in az, I suspect because the laptop does not have built-in GPS. When I use my iPhone, I know it's getting the GPS and time right. What I'd like to do is start the mount with the phone, align, then open the Synscan app in the laptop. I've loaded all the ascom drivers and can control and plate solve with Sharpcap. I could then close the phone app. Would I have to realign in the laptop app? What location/time would it use?

#2837 Frank @ Van

Frank @ Van

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:55 AM

This is strictly a question for alt-az useage. Can the mount be connected to 2 Synscan apps at the same time? I set up last night using level/north connected to my laptop. My first star was way off in az, I suspect because the laptop does not have built-in GPS. When I use my iPhone, I know it's getting the GPS and time right. What I'd like to do is start the mount with the phone, align, then open the Synscan app in the laptop. I've loaded all the ascom drivers and can control and plate solve with Sharpcap. I could then close the phone app. Would I have to realign in the laptop app? What location/time would it use?

Yes, you can connect two SynScan apps at the same time. You can use one of it to do alignment and then share the alignment data(pointing model) with the other one. But only one of the apps should control the tracking.

• Bazooka302 likes this

#2838 Frank @ Van

Frank @ Van

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 11 May 2021 - 03:57 AM

Hi all, new here

I just bought a AZ GTI, I use it with my Skywatcher 80ed. Mainly visual, with some smartphone AP (all in AZ mode).

Mine came loaded with 3.26, it works fine for me.

I was hoping to track some sattelites with it, and came acros some software on the Skyvieuw website. Also this guide on how to use it: https://www.youtube....bbuHixaA&t=374s

But I cant get it to work, the Previsat software gives me errors and the Sattelite Tracker program just doesnt start up.

Has anybody here gotten this to work?

Yes, it works. But, if you have an iOS device, using Luminos app would be much easier.

#2839 Bazooka302

Bazooka302

Lift Off

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:30 PM

I've been using my AZ-GTE for a couple of weeks, but now I've got it configured the way I want after all my parts were finally delivered. I have a dual scope setup... an Apertura 72EDR using a Planet One Neptune-C II camera and a Computar 75mm-12.5mm f1.2 TV c-mount zoom lens with a Svbony SV105 camera. Each is mounted on ADM saddles with a Celestron CG-2 counterweight shaft in between. I made a fine adjustment bracket for aligning the Computar lens to the main scope in alt, no adjustment in az, relying on the common shaft for close enough. I measured 0-10' off... good enough as the wide angle scope is just to act as an e-finder and get the main scope in the neighborhood. Hanging off the shaft is a 6000 mAh Li-Ion battery pack, acting as a bit of an extra counterweight. The hook makes it easy to remove for recharging, although I haven't even put a dent in the battery yet. One other mod... I moved the leg clamps on the tripod spreader up a few inches. Since I'm using this strictly alt-az for EAA, I don't need to extend the lower tripod legs, but that made the mount feeling just a little tippy. By moving the spreader clamps up, the angle between the legs increases, I got mine to go from 22" between the leg tips to 25". Seems more stable now.

IMG_6662a.jpg

IMG_6663a.jpg

IMG_6664a.jpg

IMG_6665a.jpg

• eros312 and Bagwell like this

#2840 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:42 AM

This thread is for AZ GTi, not AZ GTE. . ....

Just kidding 😃.

But seriously, aren't you overworking the little thing.

#2841 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:28 AM

I thought in AZ mode unless pointing due E or W then with anything other than a really wide angle Lens that only a few second exposures were achievable.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3857B2CC-4FB5-4B09-AA68-2BD38CCA5490.jpeg

• Bazooka302 and markbc like this

#2842 Bazooka302

Bazooka302

Lift Off

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:12 AM

I'm doing EAA only, not astrophotography, so 8-10 sec exposures are all I need (26 deg latitude). BTW, total mounted weight is about 11 lbs (the quoted alt-az capacity), but since it's approx horizontally balanced, the mount handles it easily (7.7 lbs 72EDR + camera, 1.7 lbs 75-12.5mm lens + camera, battery .8 lbs, bracket, saddle and shaft .9 lbs).

M3

Attached Thumbnails

• gallery_231816_16714_328191a.jpg

• eros312 likes this

#2843 jmt

jmt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:36 AM

good morning,

I have started to use my AzGTi some days ago, and with the hand control it's much easier than with the wifi-app.
I'd like to add a power supply, is there anything that I can order on Amazon (europe) that could fit the AzGTi needs and have that little more that could provide to the hand controller too?

Thank you very much for any suggestion ^^

#2844 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:48 AM

good morning,
I have started to use my AzGTi some days ago, and with the hand control it's much easier than with the wifi-app.
I'd like to add a power supply, is there anything that I can order on Amazon (europe) that could fit the AzGTi needs and have that little more that could provide to the hand controller too?
Thank you very much for any suggestion ^^

Of course, there are a lot of power solutions everywhere. It depends on your budget. The powerful consumption by the hand controller is negligible but you might want to get something that has enough capacity for some other accessories, in case of expansion tommorow. Other than that, you may just go for a simple power solution like TalentCell.
https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00ME3ZH7C
It will last you for several sessions with the AZ-Gti
  • jmt likes this

#2845 Garribaldi

Garribaldi

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 May 2021 - 04:24 PM

Hi all...I don’t know if anyone has discussed this before or had this problem but..I recently purchased a AZ Gti mount & loaded the Synscan Pro app on my iphone Se ( 2016 model). I’ve been out with it in northern Michigan this May with temps in the upper to middle 30s f. My battery drains from 100% to 10% in about 1 1/2 hours. I know the cold affects lithium batteries, but to this extent? By the time I have the alignment task taken care of, my battery is at 40%. I end up having to shut off the mount & try to use it manually. Another problem I’ve encountered is that after I do a goto to an object, I’m told to “manually center the object”, but doing so while looking at the phone screen to operate the up down left right arrows, it’s pretty hard to see anything in my eyepiece. So far, not really good experiences yet using this mount & app.

#2846 kel123

kel123

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:36 PM

Hi all...I don’t know if anyone has discussed this before or had this problem but..I recently purchased a AZ Gti mount & loaded the Synscan Pro app on my iphone Se ( 2016 model). I’ve been out with it in northern Michigan this May with temps in the upper to middle 30s f. My battery drains from 100% to 10% in about 1 1/2 hours. I know the cold affects lithium batteries, but to this extent? By the time I have the alignment task taken care of, my battery is at 40%. I end up having to shut off the mount & try to use it manually. Another problem I’ve encountered is that after I do a goto to an object, I’m told to “manually center the object”, but doing so while looking at the phone screen to operate the up down left right arrows, it’s pretty hard to see anything in my eyepiece. So far, not really good experiences yet using this mount & app.

It is no fault of your mount that  low temperature is draining your battery. You already know what the problem is, there is no magic. It is simple physics. If any party is culpable here, you should be talking to your battery pack manufacturer. 

Of course, during star alignments with any goto mount, you center the stars by yourself. That is what star alignment is all about.   There is no magic. If you find it difficult using the app, consider buying a hand controller to use with it.  Some people also buy stickers to place on the visual control on their phone for tactile grip.

Your need to understand that this hobby can be unintuitive. These reasons you gave for not having a really good experience with the mount means that you really need to be more prepared for the hobby.  

• aa6ww, SpaceOddities and markbc like this

#2847 Albut

Albut

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:51 AM

Yep it’s not easy

#2848 CloudyIFR

CloudyIFR

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:47 AM

Garribaldi,

Are you speaking of the batteries in your phone or the mount?  I can't help with the phone as I have not seen that issue with my iPad or iPhone down well into the teens F.  If it's the mount Lithium polymar batteries do not like the cold but Lithium Ion are much more tolerant, down to near zero F.  I have used Eneloop batteries in my mount with good success but now use a small power pack with 18650 cells.

As far as alignment goes I had a friend 3D print a hot shoe mount for a laser.  I can provide the link and he's willing to change the diameter to fit a laser you purchase if it were a different size.  This way when I do the alignment and if one of the stars is not visible in the Live View of my camera, I turn the laser on and use the app to steer to the star till I can see it in Live View then center from there.  It's really taken the frustration out of it.  I am getting 2min subs and the only way you can see trailing is if you zoom way in.  

Curtis

• aa6ww, Garribaldi and markbc like this

#2849 Garribaldi

Garribaldi

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:06 AM

Curtis, thanks for your response. No, I’m not having problems with the mount or batteries in it, I have a 2016 model iphone SE, battery health is given at 86% as it says in general settings. Perhaps it’s time to update. I’ve never really had it die this quickly, but rarely am I outside in -40 f weather using it. As far as your laser suggestion goes, I have one & had a friend fabricate a mount for it to attach to my C6, it uses a 123 battery but lately even with a freshly charged battery it is not very bright anymore- do they go bad after a year or so? I hear they don’t really like the cold either. Maybe time to replace it as well. I also have a 8x50 RACI & a Telrad mounted. When I said I couldn’t see in my eyepiece when trying to manually center the object, it was because I’m trying to look into the eyepiece while trying to use the small arrows in the phone app and the light from the screen interferes with my view in the eyepiece.   I also tried the North Level two star alignment, & to find north I used the compass on my phone & set it on the OTA for alignment.....later I watched a video tutorial on the AZ GTi, and when they used their phone compass, they said to keep it away from the mount because of magnetic interference throwing off the compass....maybe my alignment was off because of this. 

#2850 jasonpetrop

jasonpetrop

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 May 2021 - 02:44 AM

Hello friends,

i'm facing the following issue with az gti

Using latest windows (or app) synscan pro version and firmware 3.26 seems that tracking cannot be enabled (sidereal, lunar). It just shows the relative sign but when i disconnect and connect again no tracking sign appears again. Tried both with AZ or EQ mode and firmware version 3.20 or 26. Also at night i got start trails even at 10 secs meaning tracking is off. I have to mention that in 'settings' auxiliary encoder is set to off.

any ideas please? do you understand what is going on? is it an internal problem with the mount itself ? :(

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics