•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2834 replies to this topic

#2826 SpaceOddities

SpaceOddities

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:37 PM

Do you use this AZ set up for astrophotography? 

For planetary, yes. For deep sky, I use it with a latitude base in equatorial mode. Although, so far, only on a normal tripod. The setup above is just a test!

#2827 jeffry7

jeffry7

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:46 PM

If you are running the SyncScan Pro app on your Android device and your Android device has recently upgraded to 11, you may find that the app no longer works. For me when I tried to open the app, it would close again imedietely.

There are complaints to this affect on the Google Play store about this too.

There is a new version of the app available on the SkyWatcher site. It is version 1.19.12.

I have tried this and it fixes the crash issue.

Presumably they will move this over the the Google Play store soon.

#2828 lpalbou

lpalbou

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

It's been over 2 years that I have the AZ GTI and it has been fairly consistent.

Unguided, the AZ GTI is not great and both the skyguider pro & skywatcher adventurer perform better. BUT guided, this mount performs incredibly well:

AZ GTI guiding

Note this graph was with a 4" Y-axis scale. 0.93" over 400s with a 13 lbs payload.

With such a low RMS, you can image 6mn+ at 30x (e.g. 1000mm on a FF sensor).

I am even considering buying a second one, even if I have too many mounts already as it is. I wonder if skywatcher will create a second iteration of this very successful mount.

Edited by lpalbou, 04 May 2021 - 12:38 PM.

• davidparks, 72Nova and desmc like this

#2829 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: Earth

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:34 PM

Has anyone looked into replacing the planetary gearheads?I see eqmod allows to input custom gear ratio

#2830 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:25 PM

BUT guided, this mount performs incredibly well:

I too have always been very happy with it's guided performance.

I now know how to tune in the guiding rate, aggression, and guide exposure for even better performance, but even right at the beginning using just the default settings I was immediately impressed with the guiding performance of this mount.   It always worked great using PHD2 on a Windows PC (ascom), and later I found the ASIAIR Pro just the perfect little controller to keep the whole package extremely portable.  I find with the ASIAIR Pro I can dial the guiding RMS pretty close to whatever seeing conditions I have that night. waytogo.gif

AIR-GTi

• Bagwell, 72Nova and lpalbou like this

#2831 lpalbou

lpalbou

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:40 PM

@davidparks that looks like an incredible compact form factor.. Did you really fit the ASIAIR pro inside the AZ GTI and 3D print that cover ? If yes, would you share the 3D print ? smile.gif I thought the ASIAIR pro would be too big to fit.. maybe you also remove the red cover of that one too ?

I do use a pc stick + mini usb key for access point.. and I pilot the whole thing from my ipad. So it's still very lightweight and simple but having the computer inside the mount.. is fantastic. You just need the battery and your phone / ipad.. ok I am jealous lol.gif  If you have a thread or blog detailing those changes, I am interested !

#2832 lpalbou

lpalbou

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:50 PM

Actually if you redesigned the AZ GTI cover.. I would have gone even a step further (maybe you did on the other side) and put support for a small guide scope / guide camera.. But having tried, I remember it can also block the rotation of the RA axis depending of your wedge, so maybe that's why you didn't.. But imagine such a small mount, with the computer and with the guider in it... shocked.gif

#2833 AaronF

AaronF

Mariner 2

• Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:09 AM

@davidparks that looks like an incredible compact form factor.. Did you really fit the ASIAIR pro inside the AZ GTI and 3D print that cover ? If yes, would you share the 3D print ? smile.gif I thought the ASIAIR pro would be too big to fit.. maybe you also remove the red cover of that one too ?

Check out pages #110 and #112 of this thread :)

• lpalbou likes this

#2834 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:35 AM

CardboardboxProccessor first did a case which included the iOptron iPolar, and which inspired me to build out the AIR-GTi.   I've made the AIR-GTi case available on Thingiverse.

ZWO ASIAIR Pro has Polar Alignment built in using the main imaging camera, so I couldn't really think of any reason to include anything else in the case design.  On my Redcat 51, I use an OAG, and on the C5 simply mount the 30mm guidescope in the OTA's finder bracket (no need for a finder) and connect the guidecam usb to the hub on the main image camera, so again, i just couldn't think of any reason to mount anything else on/in the 3d printed case.

Yes the red aluminum case is removed from the ASIAIR, which not only lets the AIR fit perfectly inside the case, but removes the wifi interference/range impediment caused by the metal waytogo.gif

https://www.cloudyni...gti-asiair-pro/

• lpalbou likes this

#2835 thijsvc

thijsvc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Hi all, new here

I just bought a AZ GTI, I use it with my Skywatcher 80ed. Mainly visual, with some smartphone AP (all in AZ mode).

Mine came loaded with 3.26, it works fine for me.

I was hoping to track some sattelites with it, and came acros some software on the Skyvieuw website. Also this guide on how to use it: https://www.youtube....bbuHixaA&t=374s

But I cant get it to work, the Previsat software gives me errors and the Sattelite Tracker program just doesnt start up.

Has anybody here gotten this to work?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics