•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2890 replies to this topic

#301 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Viking 1

• Loc: Coppell, Texas

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

I’ve done 10 minute exposures with guiding in EQ mode.  Gain set to zero.  I prefer the shorter exposure, higher gain stacks, as I can keep more data if one sub gets ruined by passing airplane or other reason.

David, your posts, pictures of the equipments and sample shots are very inspiring! Do you have some single-subs with different exposures taken with the AZ-GTi to share? Wanted to compare this mount with the old faithful Sky Adventurer. Thanks!  

#302 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

David, your posts, pictures of the equipments and sample shots are very inspiring! Do you have some single-subs with different exposures taken with the AZ-GTi to share? Wanted to compare this mount with the old faithful Sky Adventurer. Thanks!  

Sure... let me dig in my files... okay, here we go:

10 minute exposure (100 gain, no flat, no dark, phd2 guided)

M51 00001

15 minute exposure (0 gain, flat, dark, phd2 guided)
frame 0

15 minute x 3 = 45 minute integrated (stretched)

Stack_16bits_3frames_1808s

• mxcoppell and SpaceOddities like this

#303 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

A couple other 5 minute exposures on the AZ-GTi guided with PHD2

NGC6813 300sec 1x1 fram3

Here I didn't realize I was shooting through a pair of electrical service wires!
M101 5 min

#304 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Viking 1

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:18 AM

Thanks David! I assume these are all shot with ZS73 and all the imaging gears? (including the focuser). 

I am worrying about the weight of my ZWO EFW(8-slot) - not sure if it's too much for the WO focuser.

#305 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Viking 1

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

David, for 5-minute sub, when you zoom in to 100%. Are the stars solid? (no oval shape?)

#306 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

You are correct, shot with the WO Z73/Flattener as listed in my signature.  I have had the ZWO EFWmini (5 slot) in the mix, and experienced no issue with either focuser, or mount.  The WO focuser seems very solid and able to handle a lot of gear.  I feel that I've never even been close to its limit in any configuration I've had it (flattener, spacers, rotolock, EFW, camera).  I even put a rather large/heavy flip mirror in there once, and while I couldn't reach focus because of the spacing, the focuser handled it just fine.  Still, I know that many prefer to get a Moonlite, or other focuser.  The only modification I've made is to attach the Sesto Senso robotic focuser.

I've used both the ASI294 and 224, with pixel sizes 4.63, and 3.75 respectively, in both cases the stars when greatly zoomed appear perfectly uniform and round to me, with equal number of pixels matching in the cardinal directions saturated to the same degree.  I hope I've explained that correctly :)...  in any case, the stars look round to me, corner to corner.  I interpret this to mean that both the flattener and the tracking/guiding are working very well.

• myrold likes this

#307 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Viking 1

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

Thanks David! I think it got me already!

One last question - how does this portable setup handle the wind? For example, 10mph?

#308 orion75

orion75

Sputnik

• Loc: Hopkinton, MA

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

I finally got the right parts together to get the mount setup in EQ mode. In case anyone is looking for specific items, here's the list:

Counterweight bar: M12 x 300mm bolt (link)

Counterweight: Star Adventurer counterweight (link)

Mount fastener: M8 - 1.25 x 14mm scoket cap screw from HomeDepot in-store (link - closest one that I could find on their website)

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of IMG_2714.jpg
  • Copy of IMG_2717.jpg
  • Copy of IMG_2718.jpg
  • Copy of IMG_2719.jpg

• Kzoech, Cometeer, stelaras1 and 2 others like this

#309 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South SF Bay Area, California

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

I finally got the right parts together to get the mount setup in EQ mode. In case anyone is looking for specific items, here's the list:

Mount fastener: M8 - 1.25 x 14mm scoket cap screw from HomeDepot in-store (link - closest one that I could find on their website)

A quick question. What's the length of the bolt from the end of the threads to just where it extends past the mount head?

Also, were you able to screw in the bolt until tight? Or was some sort of stop required?

• Rainguy likes this

#310 coastaltom

coastaltom

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Alabama

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

New guy here.  I've just received my mount and have it working.  Using the SynScan Pro app.  My most current android phone (Samsung S7 with android 8.0) sees the wifi on the mount but will not connect.  Older phones and tablets will connect and operate the mount in AZ mode.  The S7 asks if I want to connect in in AZ or EQ mode but will not connect in either.  The older devices do not give a choice of modes.  Are the newest shipped mounts coming with the new firmware or must I update the firmware?  Are most of you updating the firmware and are there any reasons not to?

Edited by coastaltom, 19 July 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#311 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

I cannot comment on the wind speed it is able to handle... no such experience yet.

#312 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Viking 1

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:19 PM

I cannot comment on the wind speed it is able to handle... no such experience yet.

Thanks David! I am counting my coins now! :)

#313 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

A quick question. What's the length of the bolt from the end of the threads to just where it extends past the mount head?

Also, were you able to screw in the bolt until tight? Or was some sort of stop required?

This is my bolt I made.

https://www.cloudyni...-counterweight/

al

#314 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:04 PM

This is my bolt I made.

https://www.cloudyni...-counterweight/

al

I recall seeing your post hence asking if the bolt needed some sort of stop. Is the stop-nut absolutely necessary?

#315 orion75

orion75

Sputnik

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

The bolt screws in fully into the mount and there is no stop required. Here are additional measurements in case you are looking for something specific.

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of IMG-2721 - Copy.jpg

• l_stoian79 and Cometeer like this

#316 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:29 PM

The bolt screws in fully into the mount and there is no stop required. Here are additional measurements in case you are looking for something specific.

That’s more than I could ask for. Thank you!

• gfstallin likes this

#317 Kzoech

Kzoech

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Macquarie, Aus

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:04 AM

That set up looks like mine except I had to get the red wedge lol.gif do you have the legs extended fully? Also is that a 127 mak? If so is the 1kg counter weight enough to balance it?

Edited by Karlzburg, 20 July 2018 - 05:06 AM.

#318 orion75

orion75

Sputnik

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

That set up looks like mine except I had to get the red wedge lol.gif do you have the legs extended fully? Also is that a 127 mak? If so is the 1kg counter weight enough to balance it?

Yes that's the Sky-watcher 127 Mak - I bought the package with the AZ-GTi for a portable visual setup.  

Thanks for pointing out the counterweight issue... i probably need to doubled that up. I haven't had a chance to take it out for first light yet... hopefully tonight :)

#319 Kzoech

Kzoech

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:20 PM

<p>I use an old weight I have for a sw newt it's about 2 kg&nbsp; and balances mine pretty well. Has been minus temps at night here so I haven't been out, still trying to kick a cold</p>

#320 CraigRL

CraigRL

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, CA >>> Reno, NV

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

I received my AZ-GTi mount today. Does anyone know if there is an option to mount the telescope on the right side? I know there was some discussion (firmware update) on this a while back, so hopefully I didn't miss the answer. 

#321 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:28 AM

I received my AZ-GTi mount today. Does anyone know if there is an option to mount the telescope on the right side? I know there was some discussion (firmware update) on this a while back, so hopefully I didn't miss the answer. 

http://skywatcher.co...ntrol-firmware/

#322 CraigRL

CraigRL

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, CA >>> Reno, NV

Posted 21 July 2018 - 03:22 AM

Awesome, thanks! I thought there was a firmware upgrade for this ... even though it is for testing purposed only.

#323 Kzoech

Kzoech

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2018 - 05:36 AM

You can use that firmware for EQ mode too
  • CraigRL likes this

#324 Muleskinner115

Muleskinner115

Mariner 2

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

I have had my mount out several times and couldn’t be more pleased. Quite a while back, I raised the issue of right and left hand OTAs and some people thought it was a joke. Has anybody changed the motor controller firm ware so you can use a Celestron SE 6 on the mount without turning it upside down?  My mount works so well, I am afraid to upload the experimental software and make a mess of things!  Perhaps the solution will be to get a set of rings and bar to allow me to use the SE6 on the mount as is.

#325 vilchez

vilchez

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

I doubt buying this mount to use with a C5 and an ed80, is it all metal? a lot of plastic? metal column?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics