•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2892 replies to this topic

#351 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

Just came back after a two-hour test session with the mount (with an 80mm refractor, I even tried the heavier 2" mirror). Overall quite happy, it's finally a Go-To, WiFi, no-additional-power-supply-needed mount that I can take in carry-on baggage or whenever I go camping. The optional column was useful, I was able to point the scope straight up, something I haven't been able to do in a while with other scopes because of clearance.

After more than hour after the alignment it was a bit off in go-to (the object was just a bit outside of the view through a 40mm eyepiece), but cannot say that it was the mount since I fiddled quite a bit changing eyepieces and mirrors. 

The one problem, however, was SynScan Pro crashing whenever I tapped "Back" from the screen showing the object details. I restarted the app, re-connected and was able to resume work as if nothing happened (had to do this everytime). I already emailed Skywatcher support, I hope they'll fix it soon.

I also tested

• whether the alignment holds if I power cycle the mount itself. It didn't, any Go-To command moved it in completely different parts of the sky. 
  • whether I can use two devices at the same time (tablet and phone). I aligned the mount with the tablet and then also connected with the phone. I was able to move the mount with the phone (it was useful for fine adjustments at the eyepiece, since the phone is easier to keep in hands than the tablet) but I couldn't use the phone to issue goto commands. The mount didn't move then it didn't answer further commands. This is not a scenario that's advertised to work, I was at the end of the session and just tried it to see what happens.

synscan error.png

#352 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:14 AM

Can or has anyone tried using a SkyFi Wireless Controller connected to the hand controller to control the AZGTi Mount

https://www.skysafar...pe-control.html

Al

Edited by axle01, 30 July 2018 - 01:16 AM.

#353 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Can or has anyone tried using a SkyFi Wireless Controller connected to the hand controller to control the AZGTi Mount

https://www.skysafar...pe-control.html

Al

What would be the use case? It's probably going to work but you'd need the controller and the SkyFi module cluttering the setup (I have a SkyFi for an Orion dob but I very much prefer the WiFi directly to the mount, no other accessories and cables needed). SkyFi is mostly needed to enable WiFi on mounts that don't support it natively. So I'm curious about the use case you're interested in.

#354 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South SF Bay Area, California

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

Took advantage of the Ebay 15% coupon right now and placed an order for one. 

#355 Astrodave

Astrodave

Apollo

• Loc: Centreville, Va. USA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:33 AM

This thread has been very quiet lately since the mount hit the US. Any of you guys enjoying your mount? Any issues? I still am going to buy it once the east coast summer muck goes away next month.

#356 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

Yes, I'm very happy with it, I took it camping in the wilderness. Fits in a sea kayak and gives me goto (I used a Porta II before, that's manual only).
  • peterjtarr likes this

#357 CraigRL

CraigRL

Vostok 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, CA >>> Reno, NV

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'm super happy with my mount. Easy to align and use. The GoTo is pretty accurate. The tracking is quite good too. The SynScan app works really well. I have been using the mount with the AT80EDT refractor. I use the tripod without the legs fully extended, and this set up is pretty stable. I would purchase this mount again. waytogo.gif

#358 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

I've enjoyed it the few times I've had it out. For whatever reason, sometimes the mount may not go to where I need it to go. Why? I don't know. Maybe I'll figure it out after I use it more. Perhaps its something I am doing something wrong. Not sure.

However, I do like the fact that there are the manual clutches, so if the scope think it's looking at Saturn but is some distance away from it, I can loosen the clutches, center the scope on the Saturn (manually) and re-tighten the clutches without losing alignment. This is able to do be done as the encoders are set to off by default. I like this feature because inevitably, GoTo mounts cause me problems like this, but I do need to figure out what's going on since not everything in the sky that I plan to observe with this mount is so bright and effortless to find as a major planet. 

#359 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

In my experience the goto accuracy was quite decent,with the object always in the eyepiece. Not always in the centre but close enough to adjust it while looking through the eyepiece.

#360 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: SunnyVale ,CA

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:42 AM

Here is the new portable narrow band setup

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC7279 - Copy.jpg

Edited by tkottary, 14 August 2018 - 01:44 AM.

• Tomvictor, zjc26138, hongming and 1 other like this

#361 Alexdz57

Alexdz57

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

AZ-GTi with C6

Here's the AZ-GTi with a new-to-me C6. The C6 feels a bit heavier than the Celestron Omni 102az (F/6.5 achro) I've had on it, and much heavier than the 102 mak it came with. Still, it feels stable, I'm hearing no strain from the motors, and since it's shorter it should be a slightly easier load than the refractor.

The view when focusing seems to settle down about as quickly as it did with the refractor, just a couple of seconds perhaps. It does "feel" like maybe quite a bit more levering load (?) to that side, but the mount still seems stable enough. I do worry about the side loading since the C6 COG is further out. I wonder if it would be worth installing a counterweight even in alt/az mode? That'd be more weight total, and definitely beyond the payload rating, but maybe more evenly loading the azimuth bearing. I imagine I'll just live with it for now and see what happens. It may prove to be too much for satisfactory viewing anyway in which case I'll go back to Plan A, a C5 or 127 mak.

Clear Outside called for holes in the clouds after 1am, so maybe I'll get to test it out tonight. Otherwise, rain season ends mid October...

Edited by Alexdz57, 14 August 2018 - 08:44 PM.

• gfstallin likes this

#362 cuivienor

cuivienor

Vanguard

• Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

Long term, how well is this working for astrophotography in GEM mode? This is mightily interesting to me - I already have a great mobile solution with the Vixen AP-WM, but if this one could work as well, in an even more compact package, that would be incredible. Seeing a guide graph in particular would be useful.

I would use it with a total 4.9 kg, with a 350mm f4 lens and ASI1600MM with filter wheel.

Edited by cuivienor, 14 August 2018 - 08:13 PM.

• tkottary likes this

#363 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Long term, how well is this working for astrophotography in GEM mode? This is mightily interesting to me - I already have a great mobile solution with the Vixen AP-WM, but if this one could work as well, in an even more compact package, that would be incredible. Seeing a guide graph in particular would be useful.

I would use it with a total 4.9 kg, with a 350mm f4 lens and ASI1600MM with filter wheel.

Here is a post showing some astrophotography using this mount in EQ mode: https://www.cloudyni...-wo-z73-asi294/

Earlier is this thread I posted 10 and 15 minute guided exposures, which I hope illustrate the performance of this mount.

I'm at 5.4 kg, 430mm f/5.9, which might be slightly more demanding in terms of weight and tracking, but not much more, and it works wonderfully, I couldn't be happier with it.

I use the Windows version of SynScan connected to the AZ-GTi via WiFi to expose the mount to ASCOM.  SGP handles this perfectly, platesolving, centering, and meridian flips. Guiding with PHD2 has been rock solid, again, couldn't be happier.  Sharpcap platesolving and centering, and even Firecapture's ability to track a planet via mount control has worked well and hassle free.

With recent vacation, daughter's wedding, and bad weather, I've not been out much since "Nebula Night" posted above, except a few times which I devoted to the Nexstar 6SE and Mars.  I'm hoping this weekend will see me back under clear skies with this mount, and if so, I'll grab a shot of the guide graph.

• DuiA1 likes this

#364 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

Could anyone provide the total length of the mount (tripod, pier, and mount) when folded? Also the maximum width (I'm guessing that the head is the widest part)?

Thanks!

#365 BGazing

BGazing

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Would be nice to hear, again, as to how many 100mm frac 7.4 users are happy with the stability. still feel queasy about putting my Tak on this... that plastic screw did not convince me...

#366 cuivienor

cuivienor

Vanguard

• Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

Here is a post showing some astrophotography using this mount in EQ mode: https://www.cloudyni...-wo-z73-asi294/

Earlier is this thread I posted 10 and 15 minute guided exposures, which I hope illustrate the performance of this mount.

I'm at 5.4 kg, 430mm f/5.9, which might be slightly more demanding in terms of weight and tracking, but not much more, and it works wonderfully, I couldn't be happier with it.

I use the Windows version of SynScan connected to the AZ-GTi via WiFi to expose the mount to ASCOM.  SGP handles this perfectly, platesolving, centering, and meridian flips. Guiding with PHD2 has been rock solid, again, couldn't be happier.  Sharpcap platesolving and centering, and even Firecapture's ability to track a planet via mount control has worked well and hassle free.

With recent vacation, daughter's wedding, and bad weather, I've not been out much since "Nebula Night" posted above, except a few times which I devoted to the Nexstar 6SE and Mars.  I'm hoping this weekend will see me back under clear skies with this mount, and if so, I'll grab a shot of the guide graph.

Thank you! This is quite impressive! You likely have the guide logs on your computer already, so you could just run PHD Log Viewer and grab a screenshot of that :) I actually highly recommend getting this freeware, it's quite good to be able to diagnose what happened during the night.

And congrats on your daughter's wedding!!

#367 DuiA1

DuiA1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:22 PM

David, can you describe at a high level how you autoguide this mount with phd2?  Would love to do this with my Canon 400mmF5.6 lens. Are you using the SW hand controller to do this? Thx for any help. Dui

#368 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: SunnyVale ,CA

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

David, can you describe at a high level how you autoguide this mount with phd2?  Would love to do this with my Canon 400mmF5.6 lens. Are you using the SW hand controller to do this? Thx for any help. Dui

see this thread https://www.cloudyni...-eaa/?p=8522484

After you install the synscan ascom driver , select SynScanMobile telescope as the mount in Phd2. you don't need the hand controller, but you can use if you want to.

Edited by tkottary, 17 August 2018 - 07:27 PM.

• eros312 and DuiA1 like this

#369 Randy Dodge

Randy Dodge

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: St. John's NL Canada

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:31 PM

Could anyone provide the total length of the mount (tripod, pier, and mount) when folded? Also the maximum width (I'm guessing that the head is the widest part)?

Thanks!

The head is a smidge over 6.5 inches wide and the head, pier and tripod fold to approx 42.5 inches

Edited by Randy Dodge, 21 August 2018 - 06:31 PM.

• Cometeer likes this

#370 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

The head is a smidge over 6.5 inches wide and the head, pier and tripod fold to approx 42.5 inches

Thanks! Unfortunately it seems that the tripod bag I had in mind will be too short. I might store the AZ-GTi with the pier removed then.

#371 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:05 AM

Unfortunately, it still has a southern hemisphere bug, which prevents EQ mode operation. Perhaps with a hand controller it might work, but the tablet app is a mess.

#372 Randy Dodge

Randy Dodge

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: St. John's NL Canada

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

Thanks! Unfortunately it seems that the tripod bag I had in mind will be too short. I might store the AZ-GTi with the pier removed then.

Hi, with the pier removed, the tripod legs are 27 1/8 inch long by 5 1/4 inches in width. You might find a cheap carry bag for it, the bags that come with camping chairs might be useful, you can pick these up for $5 at Walmart this time of year. Neewer has several padded bags on Amazon for under $30. that will fit.

#373 orion75

orion75

Sputnik

• Loc: Hopkinton, MA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:43 PM

I recently bought the Neewer bag (small) and the tripod fits well length-wise - https://www.amazon.c...uct/B014SB83GE/

The bag is 28" x 8" x 8", so there is some width and depth left for other stuff if needed. I have also ordered another bag  (https://www.amazon.c...uct/B0002ER2ZA/) (Large) to see if that might be better to fit just the tripod and the pier. 

I will try and post some pictures of the tripod with both bags tomorrow once I get back home from this business trip.

#374 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

I recently bought the Neewer bag (small) and the tripod fits well length-wise - https://www.amazon.c...uct/B014SB83GE/

The bag is 28" x 8" x 8", so there is some width and depth left for other stuff if needed. I have also ordered another bag  (https://www.amazon.c...uct/B0002ER2ZA/) (Large) to see if that might be better to fit just the tripod and the pier. 

I will try and post some pictures of the tripod with both bags tomorrow once I get back home from this business trip.

The one I had in mind is this: https://www.amazon.c...ipod bag neewer

I might store the pier and tripod in it and carry the mount head separately. 

#375 orion75

orion75

Sputnik

• Loc: Hopkinton, MA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

Here’s how the tripod fits the Neewer 28” bag. There’s enough room on the sides due to the 8” x 8” width and depth of the bag.... 

I could probably fit a well packaged small refractor in there ... may be its time to take out the ST120... 😊 

Attached Thumbnails

• 7D930976-9452-44B0-B629-7E958282DAE0.jpeg
  • 3D89F28F-73C4-4734-B926-594E263379AF.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics