•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2890 replies to this topic

#376 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:01 AM

I have a separate thread going but I have connection issues.  I just got the mount today and the wifi signal from the mount is not showing up on my iPhone.  I have a call into Sky-Watcher Support and am waiting to hear back

ugh

Tony

#377 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Vostok 1

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:09 AM

I did do a Network reset on my iPhone.  synscan appears intermittently. I have fresh batteries in the mount.   One time I got a message," unable to join network"    The frustration builds......

#378 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Vostok 1

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Sky-Watcher Support the rescue!   The unit works perfectly.  I needed to take it outside.  Apparently, if there are too many WiFi signals it can cause a connection problem with the Mounts WiFi.

Tony

• Terra Nova and gfstallin like this

#379 orion75

orion75

Sputnik

• Loc: Hopkinton, MA

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

Sky-Watcher Support the rescue!   The unit works perfectly.  I needed to take it outside.  Apparently, if there are too many WiFi signals it can cause a connection problem with the Mounts WiFi.

Tony

The mount does not like too much attention (from Wi-Fi signals) lol.gif 

Glad to hear that you are up and running....waytogo.gif  

#380 stevejayd

stevejayd

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Desert

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

I have just purchased the Sky-Watcher AZ GTi . Loaded the updated driver and works fine . I am planning to due astro-photography first using my Nikon D750, then once I'm reasonable proficient go up a level for deeper sky images. I have a dumb question ( and yes there are dumb questions). I also purchased a sky-Watcher wedge mount. Is this necessary? That is my dumb question.

Thanks.

#381 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: SunnyVale ,CA

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

Yes you do need wedge if you want to image in EQ mode

Edited by tkottary, 23 August 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#382 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

Fantastic thread so far!  I'm in process of setting up a AZ-GTI to use with a Nikon 180mm 2.8 lens and ASI385 camera.  Plate Solving does work to help point the mount correctly without having to first align things.  However, I want to start using the mount in EQ mode by polar aligning with the built in polar alignment routine that can use any star.  Some questions about this:

1.  I first do a north and level align and blindly accept the default slews as accurate.  Plate solving is then used to solve and sync to correct the mount's position.  This seems to work fine in alt-az, and I can start imaging immediately after the sync.

2.  I'd like to do something similar when polar aligning.  Here, I'd like to start the alignment routine on the mount.  It then will slew to the first star.  I'd then like to plate solve to center the star first to align... then the mount should re-slew and let me manually move the knobs to mechanically position the mount.  Will the mount accept the sync correction from the solver in the middle of it's alignment routine?  I haven't tried this because I don't yet have the EQ wedge.  

3.  From pictures I can see the wedge does have scale markings that go down to 0 degrees.  Is it safe to assume that it will function at 1 degree without any mechanical gotchas?

4.  Will a ZWO guide scope and 224mc camera work fine for guiding in EQ mode?

Thanks in advance,

N.

#383 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

Had an interesting issue last night with this mount. I was an hour into an imaging session when the mount’s red light WiFi indicator stopped blinking and turned off. I tried to reconnect but there were no WiFi networks available.

I thought maybe it was a power cable or battery issue. I tried with a different power cable, but no luck. The talentcell battery was also showing as having plenty of charge left.

I packed up, walked home (about 20 min), and tried again using an AC adapter. The mount powered up and the red light started blinking again. I tried again with the same talentcell battery and power cable, and everything was fine.

Weird...

Also, I don’t think plate solving works until you first do a proper alignment. For me, the image solves, the solver (astrotortilla and sharpcap built-in solver both) finds the offset and issues the command to move. The mount accepts the command, but doesn’t do anything. This however works fine if I do a star alignment first.

N.

#384 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: SunnyVale ,CA

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:09 PM

interesting. what version of firmware do  you have. I see this in the latest firmware change log

AZ-GTi motor controller  firmware version 3.13:

Version 3.13
  July 20, 2018
    1. Change timer for defaulting WiFi to 1 hour
    2. Force to use AP only mode if the WiFi module cannot join a valid WiFi network in STA only or AP+STA mode.

Had an interesting issue last night with this mount. I was an hour into an imaging session when the mount’s red light WiFi indicator stopped blinking and turned off. I tried to reconnect but there were no WiFi networks available.

I thought maybe it was a power cable or battery issue. I tried with a different power cable, but no luck. The talentcell battery was also showing as having plenty of charge left.

Also that is what sky watcher support recommended me to as well (not for plate solving, but controlling via indi on linux) 

Connect to the mount in the SynScan App, recommend to do an alignment first.

Edited by tkottary, 25 August 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#385 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

Hi, I’m running the latest beta firmware.

Have you had any success with plate solving without first aligning? Or can we do a fake align (just accepting all its Patel’s) and then using plate solving to get it right?

Thanks!

N.

#386 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

Did some more testing with the mount and found two major issues with the latest beta firmware.

1. Plate solving works, but does not skew the mount to sync. For example, solving finds an offset of 11.76 degrees, but does not move the mount to adjust. I’ve tried with astrotortilla and sharpcap. This is even after trying a level north alignment, 1 star, and 3 star. I’ve tried them all.
2. I align, then perform a goto. Finally I click point and track. However, the tracking rate is wrong. Point and track smears the image frame even with a 3 second exposure. Manually changing the tracking rate to sidereal is better, but I can’t manage more than a 5 second exposure.

What’s going on with this mount? I’m trying to image in alt-az from 1 deg above the equator.

N.

#387 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

Two questions:

Any advice on a solid tripod for the AZ GTi to upgrade the stock? Anyone found a good portable pier that works with the AZ GTi?

Has anyone tried the using the AZ GTi with the Celestron Sky-watcher Starsense?

#388 DIMITRIS K.

DIMITRIS K.

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:04 AM

Ok I have a problem here!! I just purchased my AZ gti and I want to use it with my mak 127. As you can see orientation of the tube is correct, according to photos but my finderscope is down!! If I flip the tube, and do an align it turns to the ground as expected and the up button slew the tube down and vice versa. Any thoughts?a54731be7cff02a277682c0beb716b7d.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το SM-J730F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

#389 DIMITRIS K.

DIMITRIS K.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

Just fix it with the right arm update from skywatcher!!

#390 Alexdz57

Alexdz57

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

Just fix it with the right arm update from skywatcher!!

I've been using the new firmware to mount a C6 on the right side and it works fine. I had hoped however to still be able to use my refractor and the 102 mak on it, and had assumed that the right/left option would be switchable but it turns out it's not. Does anyone else consider this to be a useful option? I asked Skywatcher about this and they said they "might" make it switchable in the future. I don't really want to have to change the firmware back and forth to change OTAs and if anybody else is in the same boat maybe it's worth an email to the company.

#391 DIMITRIS K.

DIMITRIS K.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

I've been using the new firmware to mount a C6 on the right side and it works fine. I had hoped however to still be able to use my refractor and the 102 mak on it, and had assumed that the right/left option would be switchable but it turns out it's not. Does anyone else consider this to be a useful option? I asked Skywatcher about this and they said they "might" make it switchable in the future. I don't really want to have to change the firmware back and forth to change OTAs and if anybody else is in the same boat maybe it's worth an email to the company.

Yes I also think it's a must for the next update. I also like to see a SSID auto find networks so we don't have to manually enter a wi fi hotspot name in station mode

Edited by DIMITRIS K., 29 August 2018 - 11:43 PM.

#392 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:15 AM

How did you contact them? I emailed support@skywatcherusa.com a few days ago, but they haven’t bothered responding yet.

Thanks!

N.

#393 DIMITRIS K.

DIMITRIS K.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:21 AM

How did you contact them? I emailed support@skywatcherusa.com a few days ago, but they haven’t bothered responding yet.

Thanks!

N.

Give them a week. That was the time they replied to me in the past!

#394 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Apollo

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

Just received the AZ-GTi mount, updated the motor controller and mounted an AT72ED OTA with a Baader Herschell Wedge. Pointed the OTA north and did a one-star alignment on the Sun. It put the Sun very close on target, 20-30 seconds or so to get it centered and tracking. So far this is a very impressive piece of kit. Can’t get much more grab-n-go.

I already have a wedge for the mini, and also have a Sky Watcher HC from the AZ-EQ GT. Also have both an iPhone and iPad so should be able to get Sky Safari working. This is going to be alot of fun.

Edited by Ain Soph Aur, 29 August 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#395 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

Had a chance to do some more testing last night.

1. Reverted to the official (not beta) firmware 3.1.3.
2. Put the scope on the left side of the mount (when looking from behind).
3. Used the latest synscan pro app on iPhone.
4. North level alignment.
5. OTA is a Nikon 180mm lens, ZWO ASI385 camera, both weighing about 1kg.

The alignment and gotos work fine. However the Mount still does not track. Here is what happens in the different tracking modes:

1. No tracking - can see clear rotating star trails at 6 second exposures
2. 0.5 sidereal - star field shifts from right to left at a rate where a star in the middle drifts off the left edge of the image sensor after 5 minutes.
3. Sidereal - same Center star drifts off the left edge in about 7-8 minutes.
4. Point and click - star field shifts left at the same rate as 0.5 sidereal.

Note that for 2, 3, 4 above I don’t see rotation, rather just an image shift. All exposures are 6 for seconds.

Seems the mount does track... just not at the rate it’s supposed to.

N.

#396 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South SF Bay Area, California

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:24 AM

Here's my mount in a $13 Neewer Tripod bag. Mount head remains attached to the pier. 

IMG_1081.JPG

I also put a dew shield, a battery pack, filter bag, and an 8" tablet in there. I wish I could have fit the tripod tray too. I'll have to see if I can 3d print a smaller tray. 

Still haven't had a chance to test the mount yet. Aiming for first light on September 14th and then taking it camping on September 15th.  

Edited by Cometeer, 30 August 2018 - 12:25 AM.

#397 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:58 AM

This was the response from Skywatcher for my two issues... regarding incorrect tracking rate in AZ mode, and also where syncing after plate solving isn't supported.  Rather unhelpful that they consider 6s subs as being "long exposure astrophotography".  They also make no mention of Synscan Pro for Windows in point 3 below, nor do they define if the issue exists for iOS devices.  Utterly unhelpful and rubbish response!

So much for technical support... 

1.     The AZ-GTi mount with standard firmware is not recommended for taking long exposure astrophotography.

2.     We do provide a firmware that allow the mount to work in equatorial mode, but the performance is not guaranteed. It is for customers who look for fun and want challenge themselves. We still do not think it is suitable for serious Astro-photographers.

3.     We have located some problems for the tracking in Alt-az mode in the SynScan App on some phones. An updated version will be available soon.

#398 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

• Loc: NY

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:18 AM

Just wanted to share my setup on this.

Skywatcher Az-GTi on Star Adventurer EQ Wedge, Pier and two counterweights

Manfroto 190 Tripod

Canon 300mm L USM f4 (no-IS)

ASI1600MM PRO, 5 -pos filter wheel, ASI120mm mini with ASI miniguidescope (switching it out for a 50mm CCTV lens to save some weight)

...and a few critical modifications to get it all to work. I needed an M12 -> M8 screw adapter to connect the SA counterweight rod (thanks nicknacknock for the tip!) and had to replace the dovetail locking screw on the SA wedge with one that didn't have a plastic knob so that it doesn't hit the mount when slewing!

Great little setup, smallest possible with dual tracking (RA & DEC) and connects with laptop over wifi so great for cable management. It slews, tracks and guides perfectly, but best of all I can pick it all up with one hand!

Here's a sample Sharpcap live stack of the Elephant trunk (14x3m narrowband) that I shot in my LED floodlight polluted backyard in Long Island, New York a red/white zone to begin with. Quick n dirty mastering in Photoshop.

JPEG:
http://nova.astromet...t/image/5113086

Thanks to everyone in this thread for the tips and help!

Clear skies,

Minos

Attached Thumbnails

• received_297922374340695.jpg

Edited by mAnKiNd, 30 August 2018 - 07:27 AM.

• BinoGuy, stevejayd, davidparks and 1 other like this

#399 nm1213

nm1213

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:20 AM

Mankind - can you try see if plate solving + sync works for you from within sharpcap?

#400 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

• Loc: NY

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

Mankind - can you try see if plate solving + sync works for you from within sharpcap?

It does and that's how I use it, but I have to mention that once I've plate solved, I need to disconnect the sharpcap connection to the mount as it stops it from tracking after 30 seconds...

Hope this helps

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics