•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
1763 replies to this topic

#26 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:33 AM

Umm so I really want this for my 65mm. Read it can run on AA's, any idea what the battery life is?

#27 Sard

Sard

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Jose CA

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

I've been using this mount regularly for a month now and am very happy with it. I use a gitzo tripod instead of the standard tripod and it handles my 100mm Tak with 2lb eyepieces comfortably even at 200x magnification.

Tracking and goto are accurate and it's already enabled me to find objects I haven't viewed before such as Neptune and the snowball pn and several galaxies.

Because of the pier issue mentioned earlier I only use this in goto mode not manually and thus avoid this issue completely. Two small issues I have are that the dovetail clamp can't be replaced with something more sturdy (but Tak is fine with standard one, just annoying it marks the dovetail bar) and link with sky safari not great in that you need two iPhones - one running synscan and one running sky safari in order to use sky safari as the goto controller. But I find I just tend to use synscan only.

In summary, I think it's great value and has really changed my approach to observing. Best new Astro release of the year imo.

Good to hear it can handle a 4" with gear on it. The sky safari issue seems odd - can you really not use Sky Safari to drive it with just one phone?
  • huynhm likes this

#28 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

I've been using this mount regularly for a month now and am very happy with it. I use a gitzo tripod instead of the standard tripod and it handles my 100mm Tak with 2lb eyepieces comfortably even at 200x magnification.

Tracking and goto are accurate and it's already enabled me to find objects I haven't viewed before such as Neptune and the snowball pn and several galaxies.

Because of the pier issue mentioned earlier I only use this in goto mode not manually and thus avoid this issue completely. Two small issues I have are that the dovetail clamp can't be replaced with something more sturdy (but Tak is fine with standard one, just annoying it marks the dovetail bar) and link with sky safari not great in that you need two iPhones - one running synscan and one running sky safari in order to use sky safari as the goto controller. But I find I just tend to use synscan only.

In summary, I think it's great value and has really changed my approach to observing. Best new Astro release of the year imo.

Good to hear it can handle a 4" with gear on it. The sky safari issue seems odd - can you really not use Sky Safari to drive it with just one phone?

I completely agree the sky safari issue is odd but its the only way to operate the mount using an iphone (I think android does work ok however). Hopefully this issue will be sorted with a firmware update in due course.

#29 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

How is this mount powered? A built in battery pack would be awesome. ...

#30 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

I use a tracer external battery but you can use 8 aa batteries which fit within the mount itself

#31 gemm

gemm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

What about tracking accuracy ? Is it good for astrophotography ? Is it possible to connect an external autoguider ?
  • jgmouton likes this

#32 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

This is an alt-az mount, so the only imaging you'd want to do is quick planetary or lunar images. You will get field rotation otherwise. As such, there is no need for autoguiding.

#33 gemm

gemm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:05 AM

This is an alt-az mount, so the only imaging you'd want to do is quick planetary or lunar images. You will get field rotation otherwise. As such, there is no need for autoguiding.

Well, one could use such device:

http://www.balkonste...02-6a5b7026.jpg

http://www.rey-star....er Polwiege.jpg

But for using this, the AZ-GTi should have the option to deactivate one Motor. Is that possible ?

#34 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

• Loc: East of France

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Looking forward to reading more reviews !

#35 Fred76

Fred76

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Normandy, France

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

The AZ-GTi is a relativity compact AZ GoTo mount. Its not much larger than our Star Adventurer actually. It uses our standard SynScan hand controller but also has the ability to use the SynScan controller app. Once the alignment is done you should be able to use SkySafari to control the mount as well, as long as you keep the SynScan app running in the back ground. 

Pay load is about 11lbs. A sturdy tripod can help a bit but this is mainly a small travel GoTo mount. We have a sample here we have been testing. Due to the eclipse craze we have been swamped and not able to really focus on some of our new products at the moment. Once the eclipse is over we can hopefully go back to normal and back to the AZ-GTi and some other cool things. 

I'm really happy to see Skywatcher working with SkySafari !

When I contacted SkySafari about SkyWatcher and the Star Adventurer mounts, the answer of Bill Tschumy (developer) was "I wasn't even aware of this product until you asked. I would say it is pretty unlikely we will support this in the near future. I wasn't able to find any information about what command set it uses to control it."

That was last April.

Since then, the Az GTI is on the shelves with SkySafari's control... I would rapidly conclude my question to SkySafari contributed !

#36 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:23 PM

What Gitzo tripod are you using with the mount? Also what Tracer battery pack are you using with it? TIA

#37 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

If someone got lucky enough to compare its stability VS let’s say an EQ5, I'd love to hear that feedback!

#38 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

One thing Skywatcher got right was mounting the Saddle on the outside (as to not interfere with the OTA while nearing Zenith).

Amen...I wish Celestron did that with the Evolution then it would be perfect and I could put a Frac on it

Jon

#39 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

We will see what we can do. For now the AZ-GTi will the main focus for now.

I saw the tripod for the AZ-GTi on this review of your new AZ5

https://www.youtube....h?v=wddDwh-SynI

If you couple the AZ-GTi head with a EQ5 or 6 tripod you should be able to get a 25-30lb weight capacity with adequate counterweighting on the other side.

Heck your 120ED is showing as under 12lbs so that would make a killer value combination compared to buying an AZEQ6 for visual only or buying a Discmount and not having real GOTO

Jon

#40 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Here's a more mature thread on this mount from Stargazers lounge

https://stargazerslo...-azimuth-mount/

I also checked out the app and it uses many of the same terms like "Tonights Best" as the Celestron Skyportal app but it appears that it has nicer arrow buttons for Slewing, etc. I wonder if Simulation Curriculum was the creator like they were with Skyportal?

Jon

• gfamily likes this

#41 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

I am skeptical that this little guy could support a scope as long as a 15lb SW120ED (after accessories are loaded onto it) even with a bigger tripod (which kind of ruins its romantic grab and go nature). But I would love to hear from someone who is willing to do this. Let me know about the dampening times at 150x!

#42 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:07 AM

I use this mount with my 4inch tak 100df f7.4. IMO that's the biggest I would use on this mount even with my gitzo carbon 5 series tripod. I think a 120mm would overwhelm it and I certainly wouldn't even dare put my ap130gtx on it!

#43 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

If someone got lucky enough to compare its stability VS let’s say an EQ5, I'd love to hear that feedback!

Seems a bit "unfair" it is not in the same field as an EQ5 mount, it is very much a smallish G&G Alt/Az mount.

I am skeptical that this little guy could support a scope as long as a 15lb SW120ED (after accessories are loaded onto it) even with a bigger tripod (which kind of ruins its romantic grab and go nature). But I would love to hear from someone who is willing to do this. Let me know about the dampening times at 150x!

The mount is specified to 11lbs so a bigger 15lb scope is out of it's range.

Just accept what it is rated for. Otherwise it ends up that people talk of 15lbs then talk of 20lbs then complain. Forgetting that at 11lbs the mount does what it is intended for and specified for and does it well.

A bigger 8Kg model would be nice, not actually sure a 10Kg model would be a good idea - getting a bit too big perhaps, but 8Kg or even 9Kg (for 20lbs) I suspect has a market.

• zjc26138, dwmedic and Tyson M like this

#44 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

I use this mount with my 4inch tak 100df f7.4. IMO that's the biggest I would use on this mount even with my gitzo carbon 5 series tripod. I think a 120mm would overwhelm it and I certainly wouldn't even dare put my ap130gtx on it!

I was planning to use my Tak FC 100DL on it, it’s a bit heavier and longer than the DF, do you think it would still be as stable as an EQ5 ? I can put it on a Berlebach UNI tripod.

• JimOfOakCreek likes this

#45 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:53 PM

I was planning to use my Tak FC 100DL on it, it’s a bit heavier and longer than the DF, do you think it would still be as stable as an EQ5 ? I can put it on a Berlebach UNI tripod.

Interesting question which I can't answer definitively. However I had both the DF and DL until I sold the DL a few months ago. The key reason I sold the DL was because my porta 2 with upgraded hal130 tripod didn't cope that well with the DL but was fine with the DF (and I couldn't see any differences in views for between DF and dl). The extra length of the DL was the main reason for the porta 2 struggling imo. So my guess given the gti has a similar capacity to the porta 2 is that the gti would be a bit iffy with the DL even with upgraded tripod. But it's just a guess...

Edited by Gavster, 30 September 2017 - 02:54 PM.

• Disciplus55 likes this

#46 Rob2160

Rob2160

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

Hello, 

I received this mount today and am in Sydney Australia.  First impressions are good but I have a problem with the SynScan app - It is configured correctly and communicating with the mount fine. 

The problem is the database seems incorrect as the Moon is currently high in the Sky but the App is reporting it is 24 degrees below the Horizon. 

I tried this on two devices, a Samsung phone and an iPad - both have the same issue. 

Anyone else in Australia having the same issue or have it working ok? 

I have tried changing the following in both devices.

1.  Manual and Auto location settings. 

2.  24 vs 12 hour time setting.

3.  Auto and Manual time setting. 

It reports the time correctly as GMT +11

Here is a short video I made of the problem. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=e4Zjq8Fs_u4

Edited by Rob2160, 05 October 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#47 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

Is there anyway to check the correct Date (day, year)?

#48 Rob2160

Rob2160

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:47 AM

I have tried it with the App using the auto location feature and it only seems to have problems with the Moon position. 

I also connected a Synscan controller from my Star Discovery mount and this works find on the AZ-GTi but again there is a problem with the Moon - it works fine on other planets and the Sun but when you select the Moon it does not show the coordinates and the font showing the location of the Moon is garbled in the Synscan controller.

Definitely a bug in this mount (mine at least) - I will send the information to Sky Watcher 

Can anyone else try it with the hand controller and see if they can select the Moon? 

#49 echobeach

echobeach

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane,Australia

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

I have tried it with the App using the auto location feature and it only seems to have problems with the Moon position. 

I also connected a Synscan controller from my Star Discovery mount and this works find on the AZ-GTi but again there is a problem with the Moon - it works fine on other planets and the Sun but when you select the Moon it does not show the coordinates and the font showing the location of the Moon is garbled in the Synscan controller.

Definitely a bug in this mount (mine at least) - I will send the information to Sky Watcher 

Can anyone else try it with the hand controller and see if they can select the Moon? 

Rob, I have tried this app on both my  Ipad and Android device. I have tried changing time and date settings on the devices.The appears to be a glitch in the software the moon location in the app is around 2 hours behind local time.,I am waiting to see if Saturn shows up in the app in about 2 hours when it rises in Brisbane.. I have ordered my AZ-GTi so should get it next week. I also have an 8" GOTO dob so I'll see if the glitch is in the handset as I do not have it connected to Wi Fi yet.

Martin

Edited by echobeach, 07 October 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#50 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Messenger

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:10 AM

Hello,

I bought a SW AZ GTi mount without tripod in Belgium, and I tried it on my Berlebach UNI 18 with an extension pier. The scope was a Tak FC-100DL, diagonal is the small Tak diagonal and some Fuji orthos. The weight of the set up is like 20% above the rated capacity of the mount, but since the tripod is a lot sturdier, I gave it a try. I could find out that the stability was excellent, nothing to envy to the same setup on my EQ5. Tracking was superb, same story, nothing to envy to my EQ5. I did play around with the GoTo (I am purely visual old school, never played with a GoTo in my life), it is very useful to aim at targets close to zenith, my neck appreciated the non-aiming through the finder :)

Overall, after using it a couple of hours, using 8x AA batteries, I think this little mount is great on two major points compare to my EQ5 : it is as stable and as accurate in tracking... without the need of counterweights, and no change of tilt after Meridian observation !!!! 

Looking forward to try it with heavier eyepieces and maybe bino viewer, but it may be the limitation there...

• ewave, StarDust1, BinoGuy and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics