•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
1478 replies to this topic

#1476 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

I didn't even know there was an AZ GTe.  I thought you had typos in your post.  Haha

I've seen another post mentioning that, I think it might be uncommon in US, I assume?

To be honest, it's quite confusing.

According to my seller they are rebranding AZ GT to AZ GTe and GTi last year. Even the skywatcher website here uses a photo of GTi for a listing for GTe, so I assume they don't really put attention to it either. It create quite a mess because online retailers put the same image from skywatcher..meaning most AZ GTe listing are using GTi pictures crazy.gif .

Physically they have similar features, only lacking "freedom find-dual encoder" markings on side. 

So, there are four versions in total.

-AZ GT version, the first when it's launched

-AZ GTe version, an AZ GTi without encoder

-AZ GTe version without az clutch

-AZ GTi version, common version

-Heliofind version (solarquest scope bundle) - similar shape to AZ GTe without AZ clutch

I noticed the variations are for the ones being sold with different telescope bundles.

Edited by Bowlerhat, 13 June 2019 - 08:28 PM.

#1477 Alexdz57

Alexdz57

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 AM

AZ GTe in theory doesn't need a clutch since it doesn't have dual encoder. but there are two version of AZ GTe:

one without the az clutch

and another with az clutch  https://skywatcherau...utov-goto-wifi/

The FLO "without clutch" listing definitely appears to be missing the AZ clutch knob but FLO's description states that it's identical to the GTi just without the encoders. Clearly that would be wrong if it's also missing the clutch. They also describe the alignment process as "After entering your coordinates into the App..."--which may be true but not really logical, it's using the same app which uses your device GPS coordinates right?

Not hating on FLO, I bought mine from them and got great service (and a GTi that has worked very well). I'm sure they're just trying to deal with Skywatcher's naming situation, which based on your later description of the associated products looks like what we used to call a real charlie-foxtrot.

#1478 kel123

kel123

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:45 AM

it's using the same app which uses your device GPS coordinates right?

That is in case your phone does not have GPS. Lol. But these days which phone doesn't anyway.

I understand your point and skywatcher is really causing confusion for customers with these look-alike mounts and naming system.

Don't be surprised to see customers who order for one model, thinking they are buying the other one.

What advantages and disadvantages for do the various models have over each other in the first place? Is it the price or what? Why should I go for one and not the other?

Edited by kel123, Yesterday, 10:47 AM.

#1479 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted Yesterday, 01:43 PM

the only difference between GTe and GTi is the dual encoder.

heliofind is only available for solar tracking mode.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics