•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Skywatcher AZ GTi goto wifi mount

• Please log in to reply
2030 replies to this topic

#1876 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

I might go wired if I can't get wifi to work for the connection between the mount  and ASIAIR, anyone recommend a cable for this FTDI 3.3v to Rj12 6 pin plug. I found one in teh UK but it's $60 shipped to the USA. I am thinking any cable that works with the Stellarmate or PC would work.

#1877 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

The AZ-GTi Mount uses the 2.4ghz band, so you have to switch the ASIAIR WiFi band to 2.4ghz. 

For station mode, this means you also have to have your router running at 2.4ghz. (Most default to 5ghz)

AZ-GTi will allow simultaneous connections on both direct and station modes cool.gif

Edited by davidparks, 10 January 2020 - 11:19 AM.

• rdmarco likes this

#1878 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

I am in 2.4 and I still can't get a connection. All I want to do at this stage is connect the ASIair to the mount.  I am following the ZWO FAQ to the letter and no joy. Have tried other advice here no joy. At least I can make the SSID stick in the synscan app but the password always disappears.

#1879 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Well after disregarding the ZWO instructions and using 10.0.0.100 for the IP I have it working. So It's not going in the trash.

#1880 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:55 PM

Well all is working great ASIair connect to the az-gti and skysafari in the mix. Thanks for the help guys.

Attached Thumbnails

• mount.jpg

• rdmarco and davidparks like this

#1881 jeffry7

jeffry7

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

In the early part of this thread, people were talking about using non stock tripods to improve the weight capacity. I guess a sturdier tripod helps damp out vibration quicker.

Does this really help? Are their other benefits?

If I wanted to put an eleven lbs scope with camera and so on to take pics of the moon, could I?

Thanks!

#1882 rdmarco

rdmarco

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Elkhorn, Nebraska

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:29 PM

In the early part of this thread, people were talking about using non stock tripods to improve the weight capacity. I guess a sturdier tripod helps damp out vibration quicker.

If I wanted to put an eleven lbs scope with camera and so on to take pics of the moon, could I?

Thanks!

I have the stock tripod, I find it pretty steady, for what it is. I do add weight to the tray, and I also have a stone bag that I add additional weight to. I believe 11 lbs is the stated weight limit, but David Parks and many others have gone beyond that with no issues.   Especially in Alt/AZ mode.

Rob

#1883 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:35 PM

Thanks!

If you don't extend the legs it seems fine.

• davidparks likes this

#1884 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

• Loc: PCB, FL

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

I use both EQMOD and the EQDIR cable from First Light (https://bit.ly/2uBOvb9)

You need to have the EQASCOM drivers installed (https://bit.ly/37Sz0tw)

If using Sequence Generator Pro, you need to select EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6 as your telescope. 

Here are my settings.

I do have the Skywatcher drivers installed but I don't use it now that I'm running the mount through EQMOD.

Adrian

Well I spent a few hours making and remaking an EQDIR cable with no luck getting the mount to connect with it. Windows Device Manager shows the FTDI cable on COM3. But inputting the settings in the Eqmod Toolbox program for HEQ5/6 doesn't seem to work. EQMOD complains of a timeout when trying to connect on COM3. In fact, when I hit the little binocular icon in  the driver setup in EQMOD toolbox, it says "Not Found" next to the COM port.

Do you have to flip a setting on/in the mount somewhere to use the cable or do you just plug it in, turn the mount on, connect with EQMOD and go?

Edited by Biggen, 12 January 2020 - 10:37 PM.

#1885 RrainbowSix

RrainbowSix

Mariner 2

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:44 AM

Well I spent a few hours making and remaking an EQDIR cable with no luck getting the mount to connect with it. Windows Device Manager shows the FTDI cable on COM3. But inputting the settings in the Eqmod Toolbox program for HEQ5/6 doesn't seem to work. EQMOD complains of a timeout when trying to connect on COM3. In fact, when I hit the little binocular icon in  the driver setup in EQMOD toolbox, it says "Not Found" next to the COM port.

Do you have to flip a setting on/in the mount somewhere to use the cable or do you just plug it in, turn the mount on, connect with EQMOD and go?

Yes. In the synscan app you need to change the connection settings. 

Go to Settings then Connection Settings and then select Serial. 

#1886 nakiazaki

nakiazaki

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

Thanks!

I bought this steel tripod last year due to the very same reasons. It improved stability a lot! I had tried many other options before that, like hanging rocks and plastic bottles filled with water from the original aluminum tripod, but none of them was good enough. I can confirm that a real strong steel tripod will be rock solid. I'm using an ED 80/600 at the moment and it was really shaky beyond 100x magnification, now with this steel tripod I can go much further without any issues. So yes, it's a highly recommended one!

Concerning your other question, I do not have any experience with heavier scope beyond 8 lbs, sorry...

Edited by nakiazaki, 13 January 2020 - 07:29 AM.

#1887 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:51 AM

Yes. In the synscan app you need to change the connection settings. 

Go to Settings then Connection Settings and then select Serial. 

Hmmm. I must be dense. When I connect to the mounts WiFi, I select the serial tab in Settings -> Connect Settings -> Serial.

When I do that it disconnects me from the WiFi. The only two options in the Serial tab are Resend Tries and Read Time-out. I don’t see anything else that enables Serial to work.

If I hit connect again, nothing happens in the App. I have to change it back to Network in order to connect back to the mount.

Edit:  Ok, I see what the problem is.  I wasn't using the Synscan App that was actually on the PC I was trying to control the mount from.  I was using my phone and trying to change the app settings from there.  Now I see I can select the COM port inside the Synscan App.

Edited by Biggen, 13 January 2020 - 08:23 AM.

• RrainbowSix likes this

#1888 RrainbowSix

RrainbowSix

Mariner 2

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:32 AM

Hmmm. I must be dense. When I connect to the mounts WiFi, I select the serial tab in Settings -> Connect Settings -> Serial.

When I do that it disconnects me from the WiFi. The only two options in the Serial tab are Resend Tries and Read Time-out. I don’t see anything else that enables Serial to work.

If I hit connect again, nothing happens in the App. I have to change it back to Network in order to connect back to the mount.

Edit:  Ok, I see what the problem is.  I wasn't using the Synscan App that was actually on the PC I was trying to control the mount from.  I was using my phone and trying to change the app settings from there.  Now I see I can select the COM port inside the Synscan App.

Ok good. Let me know if your EQMOD cable works now. Exciting! LOL

#1889 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

It is exciting!

I must have fried my FTDI cable or got a bad one. I can't get it working. Even tried a loopback test where the RX and TX are wired together using Putty and can't get it talking. So I got a new one coming in to see if that sorts it out.

But at least now I know a bit more of what I'm doing. Thanks so much for your help!

• RrainbowSix likes this

#1890 apkp777

apkp777

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL and Ormond Beach, FL

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

Looking at getting this mount. Scanned through most of the comments on this thread. Is there any reason I would be better off with the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro or the Ioptron Sky Guider Pro? Looking for an entry level star tracker to mount my EOS T7i and 135mm lens. Maybe a small refractor at some point. 

Thanks in advance!!

#1891 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

Looking at getting this mount. Scanned through most of the comments on this thread. Is there any reason I would be better off with the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro or the Ioptron Sky Guider Pro? Looking for an entry level star tracker to mount my EOS T7i and 135mm lens. Maybe a small refractor at some point.

Thanks in advance!!

I have the AZ-GTI and the Skyguider Pro and would recommend the Skyguider Pro for your use case, provided you keep the refractor really small.

While there are plenty of people doing AP with the AZ-GTI, it is, by design, an Alt-Az mount and you would be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

The Skyguider Pro is easy to get going right out of the box and will have you taking images in no time.

Clear skies!

#1892 apkp777

apkp777

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago, IL and Ormond Beach, FL

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

I have the AZ-GTI and the Skyguider Pro and would recommend the Skyguider Pro for your use case, provided you keep the refractor really small.

While there are plenty of people doing AP with the AZ-GTI, it is, by design, an Alt-Az mount and you would be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

The Skyguider Pro is easy to get going right out of the box and will have you taking images in no time.

Clear skies!

Thanks! I thought the AZ GTi will do EQ with the optional Pro pack?

#1893 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:25 PM

Thanks! I thought the AZ GTi will do EQ with the optional Pro pack?

The Pro Pack is an option for the Star Adventurer, not the AZ-GTI.

https://www.skywatch...nturer-pro-pack

As I said in my previous post, you "can" do AP with the AZ-GTI, but that is not what it was designed to do.

Cheers!

#1894 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:45 AM

The new FTDI cable works great!  I must have either fried the 1st one I got (by wiring it wrong) or got a dud.  No problems with this new one.

BTW, if anyone wants to wire their own FTDI cable I found a very easy wiring diagram on this Japanese site: https://blog.goo.ne....3e1451c12843ed9

You don't have to know Japanese, just look at the picture and wire up the FTDI/USB cable to a regular phone cord as depicted in the diagram. Works great!

Really is nice to not have to use the Synscan APP or their drivers.  Can connect right to the mount using EQMOD/ASCOM and that's it.  Makes connections with Stellarium, APT, etc... much easier and smoother.

Edited by Biggen, 16 January 2020 - 11:47 AM.

#1895 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

The new FTDI cable works great!  I must have either fried the 1st one I got (by wiring it wrong) or got a dud.  No problems with this new one.

BTW, if anyone wants to wire their own FTDI cable I found a very easy wiring diagram on this Japanese site: https://blog.goo.ne....3e1451c12843ed9

You don't have to know Japanese, just look at the picture and wire up the FTDI/USB cable to a regular phone cord as depicted in the diagram. Works great!

Really is nice to not have to use the Synscan APP or their drivers.  Can connect right to the mount using EQMOD/ASCOM and that's it.  Makes connections with Stellarium, APT, etc... much easier and smoother.

Can you link to the ftdi cable you used?

#1896 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

Can you link to the ftdi cable you used?

Here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014GZTCC6

#1897 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:24 PM

Many thanks.

#1898 Euripides

Euripides

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Thessaloniki - Greece

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

Just to clarify it, this kind of cable works only in EQ mode, not in Alt Az correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1899 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Just to clarify it, this kind of cable works only in EQ mode, not in Alt Az correct?

It will in Alt Az mode if you use the Synscan App.

It won't work with ASCOM/EQMOD in Alt Az however.

#1900 Euripides

Euripides

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Thessaloniki - Greece

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

I see..I was wondering if I can ditch my iPhone-controller and use the mount through my Mac, that I use it for firecapture.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics