I really can't believe how much of the eclipse path has somewhat cloudy to cloudy skies forecasted... I know the forecasts still can't be relied on being 10 days out, but what to do if it 'firms up' as such?
One exercise I just did was pretending the eclipse occurs this next Monday at 2pm and looking at the sky cover forecasts... The only clear skies in that simulation were way out west (Casper) with everything else from Nebraska to SC having 50% cloud cover or more (more for most sites). That would make the 4-5 reservations I have along that path all busts!
All of a sudden a 16 or 22 hour (round trip) road trip is not looking super appealing. The depressed mood on the long ride home from a cloud out is not something I'm looking forward to.
Which is one reason I chose to take the shortest path to totality. An 8 hour trip is pretty long for just a campout, but not a "total" (see what I did there) bummer. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the time even if the eclipse is a bust.