•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Amazon Eclipse Glasses Refund

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#26 ismosi

ismosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

I received 3 similar emails from Amazon this morning also. I had purchased 2 Orion full aperture solar filters and a Baader Planetarium Solar Continuum Filter (1.25"). They are refunding my money, but not requiring a return of the items. Amazon confirms that these are legitimate emails. 

Orion and Baader have been great manufacturers for a good while. Is there any reason anyone knows to not trust these items?

Wow, it sounds like they're being a little over-zealous in their refunds. The Baader filter requires a "real" solar filter, it's not meant to be used by itself. There's no reason it would have the certifications that Amazon is looking for.

Oh well, I'm not complaining!

What do you mean "The Baader filter requires a "real" solar filter, it's not meant to be used by itself."  ?  I purchased both  Solamark and Gosky ringed filters made up of Baader film.  I have already imaged samples shots of the sun with the filter on an a Celestron 80mm telescope over a 3 hour period with the Gosky.  Although I did not buy on e-bay, here is a link as an example of what was purchased.  http://www.ebay.com/...i-/272700367739

I think 'headlight_fluid' is saying that even though the Baader filter is a 'real' solar filter, Amazon thinks it's not, or, has not received proper acknowledgement from the manufacturer that it is.

We all know better, but hey, free stuff! :)

#27 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

I agree it's probably just Amazon avoiding any potential litigation and I'm sure they can afford to do it.  I think it's a good move in their part.

It's certainly a CYA move by Amazon, but I'd bet it's not costing them anything. 

These forced refunds will likely be clawed back from the vendors, who in most cases are selling goods in good faith, and as seen in the original post, some of whom are selling high value goods that are legitimate and not covered by any certifications.  TBH, I expect we'll see Amazon back pedal on this in a day or two. 

If you get such a refund, for goods you know to be legit, I'd contact the seller and offer to return the purchase price that Amazon  has taken from them. 

$5 or $10 for eclipse glasses is one thing, but tens or hundreds of dollars for scopes or filters is another. 

grnbrg.

Edited by grnbrg, 12 August 2017 - 12:08 PM.

• ed_turco, eastwd and caveman_astronomer like this

#28 mightymouse

mightymouse

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hi everybody.  I'm the original poster and the one who purchased the doublestacked PST.       After talking to another fellow in my astronomy club, he thinks that since  Amazon has been burned for selling  counterfeit  eclipse glasses, they are now worried that they have sold counterfeit solar telescopes.  One of the lines in the email is    "Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer."    The PST was supplied to Amazon through AgenaAstro and found this on Amazon website today.  Apparently other products supplied by AgenaAstro are being called into question.    I'll have to write to AgenaAstro to confirm the authenticity of PST that was purchased through them.

The PST was purchased for outreach and I was actually thinking about donating it to my astronomy club for their educational programs.  Its a great little scope for what it costs.  

Edited by mightymouse, 12 August 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#29 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

I would be greatly surprised to find out that someone is making counterfeit PSTs. LOL

• Dave Mitsky and caveman_astronomer like this

#30 grnbrg

grnbrg

Vostok 1

• Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

I wonder how long vendors were given, and what documentation was required to prove that their goods were "sourced from a recommended manufacturer".

:popcorn:

grnbrg.
  • ericthemantis likes this

#31 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Here is a video about what may have prompted Amazon to issue that notice -- bad "Daylight Sky" solar eclipse glasses:  https://www.youtube....h?v=7Jmdo5jJIeQ

#32 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

Got the same emails today for Gosky and Solomark 90mm filters Made in China.  The original ad stated "Baader Planetarium film" but I suppose it is possible that it was made with a lesser quality mylar film the looks like Baader.  I did observe briefly with the C90 and felt some eye discomfort so I will only use these filters for mirrorless photography and use known quality filters from Celestron, Thousand Oaks, or #14 welders glass for visual observing.  It would be a tragedy if some innocent observers become blinded while using counterfeit film solar filters.

Edited by Cajundaddy, 12 August 2017 - 01:27 PM.

• ericthemantis and comprapescado like this

#33 headlight_fluid

headlight_fluid

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA, US

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

I received 3 similar emails from Amazon this morning also. I had purchased 2 Orion full aperture solar filters and a Baader Planetarium Solar Continuum Filter (1.25"). They are refunding my money, but not requiring a return of the items. Amazon confirms that these are legitimate emails. 

Orion and Baader have been great manufacturers for a good while. Is there any reason anyone knows to not trust these items?

Wow, it sounds like they're being a little over-zealous in their refunds. The Baader filter requires a "real" solar filter, it's not meant to be used by itself. There's no reason it would have the certifications that Amazon is looking for.

What do you mean "The Baader filter requires a "real" solar filter, it's not meant to be used by itself."  ?  I purchased both  Solamark and Gosky ringed filters made up of Baader film.  I have already imaged samples shots of the sun with the filter on an a Celestron 80mm telescope over a 3 hour period with the Gosky.  Although I did not buy on e-bay, here is a link as an example of what was purchased.  http://www.ebay.com/...i-/272700367739

Sorry, I meant the "Baader Planetarium Solar Continuum Filter (1.25")".

The Solar Continuum filter is a green light filter used to enhance contrast on an already filtered sun. The Baader solar film is fine by itself.

Edited by headlight_fluid, 12 August 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#34 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

I think 'headlight_fluid' is saying that even though the Baader filter is a 'real' solar filter, Amazon thinks it's not, or, has not received proper acknowledgement from the manufacturer that it is.

We all know better, but hey, free stuff! smile.gif

The ISO standard for eclipse viewers requires density 6.0.  Some filters made for telescopes are quite properly 5.0 or maybe even 4.0 and are safe when used as directed.  The lower densities allow more magnification and shorter photographic exposures.

The ISO standard does not encompass everything that is safe.  It is very cautiously defined

#35 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

Here is something I wrote for lay readers.  Feel free to share the link.

http://www.covington...ex.html#x170812

Feel free to share the link.  Also, beginners with questions about specific glasses is welcome to e-mail me at mc@uga.edu. Be sure to describe what you're asking about and give the name of the manufacturer and whether an ISO standard number is printed on it.  I can't certify glasses, but I can tell people whether there's something obviously wrong.  Maybe we all should be making this offer to our neighbors.

• k1431545 likes this

#36 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Viking 1

• Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

Plenty of counterfeit goods are sold on Amazon. Unless there is the potential for lawsuits (like this case) they don't care.

Business steps Amazon has taken in the last few years have encouraged and increased the sales of counterfeit goods.

This is why I avoid purchasing from Amazon. I buy goods right from the manufacturer or a dealer not known to sell counterfeits. Amazon is not a reputable seller in my opinion.

#37 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

I also got an email about my Gosky Solar filter. I saw in a news article where they showed bad glasses by putting them over a bright LED light. The good glasses showed nothing, the bad ones allowed the LED's to be seen through it.

I just did that test with a UV flashlight I have on the Gosky filter and could see the LED's through it. Has anyone else done this test with Baader film? Is this a sign that this is not GENUINE Baader Film, or is it just a sign that it isn't good for direct viewing (ie as glasses, not through a telescope)?

The worst part is, I felt like I had done my research. Gosky got OK reviews on this forum, and it states that it uses Baader AstroSolar Visual Film.

I'm super disappointed by this, though I think I can salvage this eclipse viewing opportunity by using my cellphone eyepiece adapter to view the eclipse through my phone with the filter on, just not directly with my eyes.

#38 djp183

djp183

Explorer 1

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

I got the same email. My question is if we wear the glasses and they are counterfeit but we are not instantly blinded, is there the possibility of delayed eye damage?

Edited by djp183, 12 August 2017 - 04:27 PM.

#39 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

I got the same email. My question is if we wear the glasses and they are counterfeit but we are not instantly blinded, is there the possibility of delayed eye damage?

Yes. There are a number of unsafe methods, polarized sunglasses, smoked glass,color film, X-rays, etc that might not block all UV or IR radiation and you might not know it immediately.

• jrbarnett likes this

#40 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

I also got an email about my Gosky Solar filter. I saw in a news article where they showed bad glasses by putting them over a bright LED light. The good glasses showed nothing, the bad ones allowed the LED's to be seen through it.

I just did that test with a UV flashlight I have on the Gosky filter and could see the LED's through it. Has anyone else done this test with Baader film? Is this a sign that this is not GENUINE Baader Film, or is it just a sign that it isn't good for direct viewing (ie as glasses, not through a telescope)?

The worst part is, I felt like I had done my research. Gosky got OK reviews on this forum, and it states that it uses Baader AstroSolar Visual Film.

I'm super disappointed by this, though I think I can salvage this eclipse viewing opportunity by using my cellphone eyepiece adapter to view the eclipse through my phone with the filter on, just not directly with my eyes.

Hi Eric.

I just did a similar experiment with my "Eclipser" white cardboard and solar film eclipse glasses and a glass Thousand Oaks solar filter, using a 60W equivalent white LED bulb in a reflective housing.

Net result?  I could just make out the bulb through both the film and glass filter materials.  Basically the same.  My solar glasses were purchased through Amazon, and I haven't received any refund notice/offer.

Best,

Jim

#41 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

If in doubt, stack 'em.  Wear two pairs at once.

Best,

Jim

• djp183 likes this

#42 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

Hi Jim,

Thousand Oaks makes it on the "approved" list from what I understand. So maybe that test doesn't work for telescope specific filters?

I sent an email to Gosky, calling them out, and asked for some proof that they use Baader film. I'll see if they reply with anything credible.

#43 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

I got the same letter re: a 5 pack of  Thousand Oaks brand 'Solar Viewers' I bought back in january...   I took pictures of both sides of them, emailed Thousand Oaks and asked, they replied “Notice to Amazon buyers: The following distributors are legitimate re-sellers of Thousand Oaks Optical products: Agena Astro Products, Eclipse View, Izgut Ltd., Israel, ShyH and SolarView.” -http://thousandoaksoptical.com/

Indeed, mine came from Shyh, who no longer has an Amazon storefront.  So I know these are good

meanwhile, as the primary email contact of my astro club (and VP and webmaster and yada yada), I've been getting bombarded with requests for places to get solar glasses locally...   I got no clue, I stocked up back in January :)

My club toyed with getting 1000 or so printed with our logo but noone wanted to do the layout/artwork so we passed on it.

#44 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

Plenty of counterfeit goods are sold on Amazon. Unless there is the potential for lawsuits (like this case) they don't care.

Business steps Amazon has taken in the last few years have encouraged and increased the sales of counterfeit goods.

This is why I avoid purchasing from Amazon. I buy goods right from the manufacturer or a dealer not known to sell counterfeits. Amazon is not a reputable seller in my opinion.

I disagree with both your assessment that Amazon is not a reliable seller and that they encourage the sale of counterfeit items.

I am an Amazon Marketplace seller (mostly toys, not optics or astronomy items) and they are pretty strict, and frequently suspend sellers who don't know what the infraction is and require them to submit a plan of action to get reinstated. Even when sellers know, it is based on a bogus complaint.

I sold some Hexbugs, one to a Norwegian who had it shipped to OR and used a freight forwarder to ship it to his country (These I had bought on clearance at Target, which some might disapprove of, but it is not any different than say Tuesday Morning, Big Lots! or TJ Maxx buying up salvaged inventory from retailers and selling in their stores) and when the buyer complained the battery had leaked and it appeared to him to be counterfeit and I refunded him, rather than making him send the item from NO to US, they blocked me from selling Hexbugs (fortunately I didn't have too many left).

Another time, someone complained about a Monster High item that it was not legit and they blocked most of our Mattel items until we sent copies of invoices. They are frequently particular, requiring invoices (not cash register receipts) within the last 180 days. Some of my items are from a Mattel-owned outlet store and come with cash register receipts, but that doesn't work. Others I acquired more than 180 days ago.

I also can't sell Disney Frozen items purchased directly from Mattel because of this reason (approval requires an invoice not cash register receipt) (*Note, as of March 31, 2016, Mattel not longer sells Disney Frozen of Disney Princess items but these were purchased before that.)

They also are strict about DVDs (which I don't sell a lot of) and certain electronic brands, like Sony and Canon, who have apparently persuaded them to not allow unauthorized vendors from selling their products in 'New' condition.

One other data point, I had purchased from Amazon a Spider-man toy, attempted to send it to their warehouse, which they did not allow as a 'hazardous' item because it contains an aerosol silly-string like propellant. They did let me sell and ship directly for a while until they removed that listing, told me it had been recalled a certain date (one month before the date of my purchase from them) and I checked CPSC and Hasbro website, neither had a recall notice and tried for weeks to persuade them they were mistaken about it having been recalled and just when it looked like they were going to let me, they said it wouldn't happen. No one was willing to take that risk.

• jrbarnett and rhc3po like this

#45 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

http://www.kgw.com/n...event/463899601

• ericthemantis likes this

#46 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

http://www.kgw.com/n...event/463899601

#47 rainycityastro

rainycityastro

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

+1,

I bought two pairs of welding glasses #14 from Amazon. They sent me the exact same mail as above and refunded my money.

#48 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

What a mess!! I haven't gotten the magic letter so I'm not concerned about the glasses I bought last week. I also checked them against some other I bought months ago from Rainbow. They all were made by the same company.

• jrbarnett likes this

#49 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

+1,

I bought two pairs of welding glasses #14 from Amazon. They sent me the exact same mail as above and refunded my money.

What was the ASIN and is it still available or did they remove the listing?

#50 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

I got the email from Amazon for a 1.25" Baader 610 nm IR pass filter I bought over a year ago for solar system imaging.  Nowhere in the product description did it imply you could use this for viewing the Sun, and it never occurred to me that anyone would try doing that.  Overabundance of caution indeed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics