•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Amazon Eclipse Glasses Refund

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

I received a similar email from Amazon this morning regarding an Astromania solar filter cell I purchased back in February for an 60mm finder scope.

(Astromania Deluxe Solar Filter 80mm Adjustable Cap Metal for 50mm to 72mm Aperture)

IIRC this cell was made with Baader film.

I have the same one and have used it many times with no issues. It's a well made product. Thanks Amazon!

-drl

#52 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Parker Colorado

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

Amazon should have been on this but doing this at the last minute a week before the eclipse means everyone is going to be scrambling to find a reputable solar eclipse glasses.

• comprapescado likes this

#53 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:46 PM

Check Lowes and Walmart. They are both selling them here in Wisconsin.

• Spockk and comprapescado like this

#54 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:15 AM

the biggest thing here is, the vendors are getting screwed because amazon is going to claw back those refunds out of the vendors.

• jrbarnett likes this

#55 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Viking 1

• Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

Plenty of counterfeit goods are sold on Amazon. Unless there is the potential for lawsuits (like this case) they don't care.

Business steps Amazon has taken in the last few years have encouraged and increased the sales of counterfeit goods.

This is why I avoid purchasing from Amazon. I buy goods right from the manufacturer or a dealer not known to sell counterfeits. Amazon is not a reputable seller in my opinion.

I disagree with both your assessment that Amazon is not a reliable seller and that they encourage the sale of counterfeit items.

I am an Amazon Marketplace seller (mostly toys, not optics or astronomy items) and they are pretty strict, and frequently suspend sellers who don't know what the infraction is and require them to submit a plan of action to get reinstated. Even when sellers know, it is based on a bogus complaint.

Fact is, Amazon has made it easier than ever to sell counterfeit goods.  Amazon provides warehouse services for Chinese sellers giving them an aura of legitimacy that many have not earned.  When they do get caught selling counterfeits, they just open a new store selling the same rubbish, and Amazon does a horrible job playing wack-a-mole shutting the new stores down because they are still getting their cut.

I will take your word that you run an honest shop selling genuine goods.  Your problems with Amazon are because you are selling by the rules.  I have come home from work more than once to my wife in tears because some lazy hack author blatantly plagiarized one of her e-books that she spent years working on.

Edited by CQDDEMGY, 13 August 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#56 nashtok

nashtok

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:05 AM

It looks like Agena Astro is getting screwed over by Amazon.

Panjwani[Agena Astro's founder] said Amazon is temporarily retaining some of his profits because of the recall.He also has almost 5,000 glasses at an Amazon warehouse, which customers can no longer purchase.

http://www.kgw.com/n...event/463899601

Edited by nashtok, 13 August 2017 - 01:05 AM.

#57 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Got this from Gosky after emailing them yesterday-

Dear Eric,
I discussed with our team who are responsible for this product just now.
The product is made of Baader Planetarium AstroSolar Safety Film 5.0 and round metal framework. The Baader film is CE (Conformite European) certificated. I will send it to you tomorrow. But I am sorry that the filter has no ISO 12312-2 certification.
Baader Planetarium AstroSolar Film( 5.0) can be used with telescopes, astronomy binoculars and photographic camera lenses. But it can not be used for naked eye solar observation.
To ensure the best possible customer service. Amazon pays more attention to items related to eclipse viewing recently. Many products from many companies were removed this time because of no documentation or no enough documentation. We take this issue very seriously and will try our best to solve the issue. We hope that every customer can be satisfied with our service.

#58 k1431545

k1431545

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Yes I received the same email from Amazon. It looks like a CYA type of email in case people go blind.

#59 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

This is a major failure for Amazon.  As the dust settles, the public is going to conclude that Amazon is badly managed.

• CQDDEMGY likes this

#60 Weaselbadger

Weaselbadger

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

I contacted Orion regarding this topic. Here's how they promptly replied:

"I’d like to take this opportunity to ensure the safety of our solar filter line. Orion solar filters have been tested by an accredited laboratory for compliance with ISO 12312-2:2015 standards for transmittance for the filters for the direct observation of the sun. We have been selling these products for anywhere from 3 to 15 years. We are a reputable supplier of astronomy related equipment for 42 years.

Please, also check that Orion Telescopes is on the reputable vendor list as released by the American Astronomical Society. Please scroll down to the list of Astronomy, Science, & Optics Vendors at their website by clicking the following link:
https://eclipse.aas..../solar-filters"

So I consider my filters safe and ready to go. I hope other folks have similar results with their gear.

#61 ericthemantis

ericthemantis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

This is a major failure for Amazon.  As the dust settles, the public is going to conclude that Amazon is badly managed.

Probably just astronomers, all 10,000 of us wink.gif . The general public will be happy they got their money back, or happy that Amazon saved them from burning their eyeballs out.

When you are discussed everyday as part of the FANG group in the business sector driving the stock market to record highs, and entire industries experience double digit declines just from the thought of you competing in their market in the future, nobody is going to call you badly managed.

Edited by ericthemantis, 14 August 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#62 Jwemes

Jwemes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wickenburg, AZ

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

It might be a little early to celebrate an Amazon refund, if the initial notice from Amazon relates to any product purchased through Amazon, other than eclipse glasses.  At some point, one or more of the smaller vendors (such as Agena) is going to rebel at having their account dunned for astrosolar products which are NOT faulty, and not in need of the certification for solar film.  .

Stay safe, and just remember......If you wear your eclipse glasses while watching an earth-occurring  nuclear event,  the coroner can go a long ways toward identification if they can start by determining the eye color of the deceased, semi-incinerated victim.    JUST KIDDING!

Clear, Dark, and Steady,

Jwemes (Wickenburg, AZ

#63 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

• Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:04 PM

Our kid's school purchased 90 pair of the glasses from Amazon. It said they were the American Paper Optics brand, but actually I guess they were not. American paper Optics was the first ones on the NASA approved list. Amazon sent the Principal a note indicating a full refund would be sent. She in turn purchased from TSE17 and they will arrive tomorrow or Wednesday

Jon

#64 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

Our kid's school purchased 90 pair of the glasses from Amazon. It said they were the American Paper Optics brand, but actually I guess they were not. American paper Optics was the first ones on the NASA approved list. Amazon sent the Principal a note indicating a full refund would be sent. She in turn purchased from TSE17 and they will arrive tomorrow or Wednesday

Jon

odds are actually pretty good they ARE legit American Paper Optics, but the marketplace reseller didn't supply sufficient paperwork fast enough.   more than a few vendors have stepped up and said they were never even asked for documentation before their sales were retroactively canceled.

Frankly, I think the way Amazon handled this was a huge fiasco

#65 Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 3 miles WNW of Celestron

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

These are now being sold there https://www.amazon.c...gEAAAAAAAAAALji

and recommended here http://thewirecutter...not-a-telescope

Phil

#66 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

Well they have 7 yrs to get it right for next time because 2024 passes right through more major cities and the demand will be higher for glasses most likely

Heck for 2024 its going right through San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Indianapolis (Yipee), Columbus, Toronto and Montreal....

https://www.timeandd...ap/2024-april-8

Jon

#67 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Well they have 7 yrs to get it right for next time because 2024 passes right through more major cities and the demand will be higher for glasses most likely

Heck for 2024 its going right through San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Indianapolis (Yipee), Columbus, Toronto and Montreal....

Jon

Except the new ISO standard for 2024 will classify the current crop of ISO compliant material as unsafe.  ;)

• pierce and Spacefreak1974 like this

#68 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

These are now being sold there https://www.amazon.c...gEAAAAAAAAAALji

and recommended here http://thewirecutter...not-a-telescope

Phil

It shows In Stock on Aug 17, and you'd think with one-day shipping, it'd be available on Aug 18 but it shows Aug 22 for me.

#69 Spacefreak1974

Spacefreak1974

Skylab

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Jon

Except the new ISO standard for 2024 will classify the current crop of ISO compliant material as unsafe.  wink.gif

And Baader will probably have a monopoly after this fiasco

Jon

#70 roustabout

roustabout

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

Our local news is reporting that Amazon has unilaterally decided that the eclipse glasses sold by Agena and Lunt Solar as well as other vendors may be counterfeit or non-compliant, and anyone who has bought from them has been given a refund and been told not to use the glasses. 

I expect that both companies sold a lot of glasses and I don't know if Amazon is going to try to bill back the costs.  

The eclipse is driving a lot of business for amateur astronomy shops, but Amazon's decision is damaging vendor reputations needlessly. 

One article about this is here:

http://www.kgw.com/n...event/463899601

I read an interesting speculation on an Amazon seller's forum - that the problem may be with Amazon's highly automated warehouses, which don't always send customers the product they ordered from the vendor they selected. 

In any case, I plan to drop Bezos a note at jeff@amazon.com asking that Amazon

- Apologize and acknowledge that they used the AAS list of approved vendors wrong;

- take steps to remove the negative seller feedback Amazon decision on this issue created;

- pay for any unsold inventory which Agena, Lunt, or any other vendor who had documented, compliant glasses was unable to sell as a result of this decision - that is, stock held in Amazon warehouses

I hope others in our community, especially Amazon Prime customers, also voice their concern about this.  Amazon is taking a rare opportunity for people to learn about some of these small vendors and making it very negative. 

It may be that they had to - that the distribution channel could not be verified - but if so they need to at least acknowledge that. 

#71 Spockk

Spockk

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ogden Utah

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

Thank you for this post.
I myself ordered a pair of 5 pack Lunt solar systems and have been getting worried about my order. Ordered the 2nd of this month. I thought I was wise buying Lunt over so other brand. Order was suppose to arrive by today but hasn't even shipped.. now I'm thinking I must have gotten one of these counterfeits

#72 Spockk

Spockk

Ranger 4

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

Thinking of last minute solutions, would a welding mask provide quality views of the eclipse? I can still enjoy totality with the yet glasses? Feels bad man

#73 Spockk

Spockk

Ranger 4

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

Just contact amazon customer support asking if a recall had been issued for Lunt solar systems glasses, after a long time on hold I was told they are being recalled, and would not send them to me.

#74 SteakAndEggs

SteakAndEggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona - USA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Here is a video about what may have prompted Amazon to issue that notice -- bad "Daylight Sky" solar eclipse glasses:  https://www.youtube....h?v=7Jmdo5jJIeQ

A couple hours ago, I sent Daylight Sky this note...

"I spent $50.00 on these glasses. I gave some to my young nieces and nephews. Now, I'm getting notice from Amazon.com that these glasses are potentially dangerous to use for the eclipse, because your company wouldn't verify that they were properly manufactured?! Are you kidding me???

Thanks for nothing!"

A couple minutes ago, I just received this response from Daylight Sky...

"Hello

Please follow attached link for more information about the testing results.

https://eclipse.aas....s/solar-filters

You can see we are listed on the AAS list of approved sellers. Our glasses are ISO 12312:2 2015 approved by Asia Inspection, a testing company approved to perform this type of testing. They are safe for use in viewing the eclipse.

Sam Harwood
Daylight SKY
Customer Support"

Take their word for what it's worth.  Just thought I'd share.  (P.S. I'm still going to use the glasses for brief looks.  To me, it sounds like Amazon really screwed the pooch, on this one.)

#75 Spockk

Spockk

Ranger 4

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

I just am completely baffled that I chose Lunt and this has turned out this way. Even purchasing through the companies amazon account. It was my understanding that Lunt is a leader in solar observing and makes quality gear.

I thought I could avoid all this by choosing them.

Hell id still go with them if amazon would let me, there was certainly a language barrier it seemed with my customer service call... but it was my understanding they would not send me the glasses, even if I acknowledged I was aware of the recall of the product.

Have since contacted Lunt to see if they can help me out. *prays* I let them know I am into the hobby, and have considered one of their scopes, but that this has been a terrible experience.

Ill definitely let everyone know what I hear.

Edited by Spockk, 14 August 2017 - 06:23 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics