•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Amazon Eclipse Glasses Refund

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

This is all so very sad. In 1994 there was an Annular Eclipse. I drove to Springfield, Ill. with a bunch of club members to observe and photograph the event. My son, Nathan, who was 13 at the time wanted to see it but could not miss school. He had gone with us to the Total Eclipse in Baja in 1991 so knew what was going on. I went to his middle school and talked to the principal and the science teacher. They were very adamant that all the students would be safely indoors during the eclipse which was a normal partial and not annular at that location. I signed a release form that excused Nathan from class and gave him some eclipse glasses so that he could enjoy the event.

In 1991 the Mexican government made a huge effort to educate the public on how to watch the eclipse safely going so far as to pass out solar viewers. I can't believe how backward our country is because of possible litigation. Inexcusable!!

• comprapescado likes this

#102 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Parker Colorado

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

The schools here are doing solar projection that was enough to convince me to keep my kids home during the eclipse since I bought solar eclipse glasses better for them to be safe and supervised.

#103 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

So......what's wrong with solar projection?

#104 astroclint

astroclint

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Parker Colorado

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

Theres nothing wrong with solar projection the danger is looking at the sun directly with no protection.

Edited by astroclint, 17 August 2017 - 04:40 PM.

#105 GHarris

GHarris

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

There's an angle on this story which hasn't really been covered by this thread, and which I care deeply about.

Stephen Ramsden, director of the world's largest solar astronomy outreach nonprofit, the CBSAP, has said it a lot better than I am likely to, so I'll quote a recent Facebook post from him below:

It appears, after exhaustive research , that the original "fake eclipse glasses flood the market" story came out of the Washington Post on August 4th.

The entire story is based on an interview with the American Astronomical Society and their quotes about "recently changing their eyewear safety advice" including "The ISO certification on the glasses isn't enough anymore with all the fakes out there".....(nonsense)

Amazon appears to have reacted to this story and its subsequent sharing everywhere on local TV stations and social media with their extraordinarily bad decision to offer EVERYONE who purchased perfectly safe solar glasses a refund accompanied by an email stating that their glasses may be "unsafe" and then withdrawing the refund out of vendors account without the slightest verification or appeal process ahead of time.

This horrible situation has led to HUNDREDS of school systems across the country cancelling any outdoor viewing events even when they have already purchased or been donated perfectly safe solar viewing glasses.

This decision and the resulting hysteria from liability fearing beurocrats has absolutely decimated CBSAP and many vendors financially and morally while simultaneously ruining one of the greatest experiences anyone can have in their lifetimes by watching a total or partial solar eclipse with their own eyes. The further understanding of the beauty of our natural world gained by this event has been robbed from hundreds of thousands of students simply to protect one company from imagined liability.

As always , the real losers here are students.

Not one media station, blogger, NASA official or science celebrity has any interest in calling this like it is and attempting to fix this egregious wrong.

As always, I'm happy to stand up for what is right and call out these folks here and now. The irreversible damage has already been done but a formal apology to American students, vendors and STEM providers is clearly in order here.

Stephen W Ramsden
Director and Founder
Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project

The worlds largest solar astronomy outreach nonprofit.

School boards, not knowing any better and falling victim to the hysteria (but without thinking to seek expert advice), are explicitly prohibiting their teachers from using the safe glasses he sent to their schools for free, out of his own hard work and his supporters' generous donations. Or they are overreacting yet further by cancelling the entire school day, or keeping kids indoors for the duration of the eclipse, for "safety".

An enormous amount of goodwill, money and time put into sharing the eclipse has been completely wasted.

I've been watching the imaginary hysteria and paranoia about fake eclipse glasses mount for a couple of weeks, but I didn't expect it to come to this. Amazon really turned it into a damaging panic.

In my opinion it's the equivalent of shouting "fire!" in a crowded room, and I sincerely believe it has done/will do nothing but harm.

(Sorry if this comes across as a bit accusatory/combative... I'm genuinely furious!)

To add to my previous post - this article covers some of the problems from the vendors' point of view: http://www.kgw.com/n...event/463899601

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics