•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A cute little TV classic

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

Got this little cutie in  Friday. These are very versatile little scope with very nice views. I like the 77mm filter trheads in the front cell, it's great for filters! Maybe I'll use it for the eclipse.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• bob midiri, Bonco, Mike W and 13 others like this

#2 Chrysovellus

Chrysovellus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wyoming

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Nice little scope.  I have the mottled "Evergreen" paint with Tele-Pod mount and Tripod, but quite like your white version.  It's traveling with me right now, and will be used for the Eclipse.  I still have a custom fitted Solar filter made by Thousand Oaks Optical specifically for the Ranger.  Must be about 20 years I've had all this stuff.  The views aren't as sharp as a good f/12 60mm or f/16 76mm, but it does the trick...and you can't beat the portability.

• Mike W and rolo like this

#3 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

What can you see with such a small scope? Is it much different from using a large binocular? Were they made more for photography than visual? Whatever the answers, it's so portable that I want one!

#4 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

It will show infinitely more than binoculars on the planets and moon. Binoculars won't show you the Great Red Spot or the Cassini's division.They're two different instruments for different purpose so they don't compare very well.

• Augustus likes this

#5 Mike W

Mike W

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

Nice little scope.  I have the mottled "Evergreen" paint with Tele-Pod mount and Tripod, but quite like your white version.  It's traveling with me right now, and will be used for the Eclipse.  I still have a custom fitted Solar filter made by Thousand Oaks Optical specifically for the Ranger.  Must be about 20 years I've had all this stuff.  The views aren't as sharp as a good f/12 60mm or f/16 76mm, but it does the trick...and you can't beat the portability.

I used to have one, should have kept it! Guess I'll just have to suffer with my TV102.

• rolo, terraclarke and Chrysovellus like this

#6 Chrysovellus

Chrysovellus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

What can you see with such a small scope? Is it much different from using a large binocular? Were they made more for photography than visual? Whatever the answers, it's so portable that I want one!

Joe, I believe it was marketed as a versatile "go anywhere" telescope that could be used for both astronomy and in the field for birding.  How deep you can see at night depends on how dark your skies are, but I'll give you a quick idea from moderately light-polluted skies:  

- Polaris companion visible.

- Double-Double in Lyra can be split. Will be tough on nights where seeing is not steady, but can be done on a  good night...especially when Lyra is near the Zenith.

- I have not quite been able to spy Cassini's division in Saturn.  I had much better luck doing this with the 3" F/16 Royal Astro I gave away.  I've read plenty of stories from people saying they can see Cassini's division with the Ranger, so don't let me discourage you...it could be because Saturn never gets too high for me.  Maybe those down in the Southern states have an easier time of it.

- I've never really gone crazy using it on deep sky, but have no issues finding the Ring Nebula and some of the brighter galaxies like M81 & M82.

It's a useful scope.

Edited by Chrysovellus, 15 August 2017 - 09:08 PM.

• rolo likes this

#7 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

I use to take one of these to the Everglades years ago. Made an excellent Spotter by day and an excellent telescope in the evening. Put it on a lightweight tripod and your good to go.

• terraclarke and gene 4181 like this

#8 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

• Loc: NOKY

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

I wonder how it compares,with the current F6 Televue 60?

#9 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

Thanks! Looking at its aperture and focal length, it seemed to me like half a binocular. If someone, somewhere, can see the Cassini Division, the difference must be the quality. I'd love such a portable powerhouse!

#10 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

• Loc: NOKY

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

One is currently for sale here on CN. (I just posted it in the sales thread.)

• rolo likes this

#11 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

Took the little TV for a spin tonight. Put it on Gitzo with a fluid head and I was observing in seconds. Went straight to Saturn and centered it with the 20mm TV Plossl then popped in the Tak 5mmLE. The view was very nice, sharp and bright with the Cassini's division the equatorial band and Titan. 

• bob midiri, terraclarke and Chrysovellus like this

#12 Chrysovellus

Chrysovellus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Took the little TV for a spin tonight. Put it on Gitzo with a fluid head and I was observing in seconds. Went straight to Saturn and centered it with the 20mm TV Plossl then popped in the Tak 5mmLE. The view was very nice, sharp and bright with the Cassini's division the equatorial band and Titan. 

Excellent!  That 10 degrees in latitude (you being down in Georgia) must make a bit of difference.  That...and a Tak LE doesn't hurt. smile.gif

I'd love to try my Ranger again on Saturn, but I'm traveling and only have a 20mm TV Plossl with me...and am at 44 deg. N latitude. I also have astigmatism in my observing eye that seems difficult to correct.  I don't stand a chance.

#13 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Got a $6  77mm collapsible lens shade that makes a nice mini dew shield.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• terraclarke and Chrysovellus like this

#14 Chrysovellus

Chrysovellus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

Got a $6  77mm collapsible lens shade that makes a nice mini dew shield.

Where'd ya get that dew shield?  I once had the Tele Vue dew shield , but it has long since rotted away.

Your $6 shield looks nice.  I want one.

• Augustus likes this

#15 rolo

rolo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Here you go

http://www.ebay.com/...872.m2749.l2649

• Chrysovellus likes this

#16 martinl

martinl

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Where'd ya get that dew shield?  I once had the Tele Vue dew shield , but it has long since rotted away.

Your $6 shield looks nice.  I want one.

77mm is the standard filter size for professional camera lenses. In addition to the one rolo linked to there are tons of rubber/metal lens hoods on eBay that cost next to nothing. Just search for 77mm lens hood. 

• rolo and Chrysovellus like this

#17 CharlesP

CharlesP

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

I've had mine from new (over 20 years).  The helical focuser is still smooth.  The colour correction is excellent - perhaps I'm less discerning than some - and takes magnification well.  Being light and short it's well suited to photo tripods, and can be easily slipped into a car boot (trunk) where there's a small space.

• rolo likes this

#18 Chrysovellus

Chrysovellus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

Thank You both for the dew shield info.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics