•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Eclipse and a Mono CCD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlmanatee

jlmanatee

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'll be heading out to western Nebraska for my first and probably only total solar eclipse.  I still have not decided whether to take the imaging setup along.  But if I do, it will be a mono ccd and my ES 127mm refractor (with appropriate solar filter of course).  I would plan to set it up with a long sequence and 15-30 seconds between exposures and just let it run, removing the solar filter during totality.  My question for you all is which filter in the filter wheel should I use for the whole sequence?  Luminous?  Ha? An open spot in the wheel?  Or is the whole idea unrealistic?

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Since nobody has answered in 55 views I'll give it a shot.

It's quite realistic.  I'd use L for its UV-IR blocking.  Keeping things as simple as possible.

And, re whether or not to image.   I have a practiced plan.  If it doesn't work as planned, anywhere near totality, I'm forgetting about imaging, and watching the eclipse.

Edited by bobzeq25, 13 August 2017 - 09:32 AM.

• jlmanatee likes this

#3 dan_hm

dan_hm

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

If you have a DSLR I would imagine that would be the best option given the simplicity and perhaps more importantly, larger sensor and faster download speed.  I don't think I've ever seen an eclipse image taken with a CCD.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics