•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Eclipse and a Mono CCD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jlmanatee

jlmanatee

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'll be heading out to western Nebraska for my first and probably only total solar eclipse.  I still have not decided whether to take the imaging setup along.  But if I do, it will be a mono ccd and my ES 127mm refractor (with appropriate solar filter of course).  I would plan to set it up with a long sequence and 15-30 seconds between exposures and just let it run, removing the solar filter during totality.  My question for you all is which filter in the filter wheel should I use for the whole sequence?  Luminous?  Ha? An open spot in the wheel?  Or is the whole idea unrealistic?

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Cosmos

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Since nobody has answered in 55 views I'll give it a shot.

It's quite realistic.  I'd use L for its UV-IR blocking.  Keeping things as simple as possible.

And, re whether or not to image.   I have a practiced plan.  If it doesn't work as planned, anywhere near totality, I'm forgetting about imaging, and watching the eclipse.

Edited by bobzeq25, 13 August 2017 - 09:32 AM.

• jlmanatee likes this

#3 dan_hm

dan_hm

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

If you have a DSLR I would imagine that would be the best option given the simplicity and perhaps more importantly, larger sensor and faster download speed.  I don't think I've ever seen an eclipse image taken with a CCD.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics