•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 5DMkII Shuts down on DC Adapter

dslr
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trauber

Trauber

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

My venerable Canon 5DMkII (with Hutech mod) has become increasingly prone to shutting down while imaging using the DC Coupler DC DR-E6.  The coupler replaces the battery in the camera and connects, via a voltage adapter, to a 12v marine battery to keep the camera powered for hours.  The camera works fine while on its LP-E6 battery, but shuts down after three or four minutes when I use the DC adapter.  It shuts down more quickly while I'm using Live View - 10 seconds or less. This problem has gotten worse over the past few months.

I've replaced the DC Coupler but the camera still shuts down. 

I suppose the connectors in the camera may be failing to make contact with the Coupler, or (egad) perhaps the electronics in the camera are beginning to fail.  Because it happens more quickly on Live View, it could also be a thermal problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks

Bob Traube

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:32 PM

I would suspect the ac adapter not putting out enough power.  Check the output voltmeter or try a different adapter if you know some one else who has one.  

#3 mahagen1

mahagen1

Messenger

• Loc: Minnetonka, MN

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:47 PM

1)  I noticed on Amazon that there are quite a few ac adapters all putting out different voltages and amp ratings.  I don't know what adapter you have or where you got it from but if you bought an off brand one that it isn't putting out enough juice to power the camera in live mode which probably draws the most current of any of the camera settings short of video mode.  

The first ac adapter I bought off of Amazon didn't work in my 7D Mark II even though it should have.  I left a nasty review for the seller and moved on to another one that works fine.

2)  It is possible the camera is failing but if the camera works in every mode with a battery installed then I doubt its a thermal problem.  I am not sure if you tried a battery or not, but the batteries themselves run warm (the ac adapters generate no heat inside your camera)  and if your camera this is when your camera would fail due to thermal issues.

3) On my camera, and maybe on yours, there is a switch built into the battery door. If the door isn't closed the camera will not work.  Maybe the cord for the ac adapter is making the battery door bend a little so over time after you close the door the door gets bent by the cord and the switch opens?  This dumb switch they put in is really small.  Its a pressure switch.   This happened on my camera a couple times, I had to bend the adapter wire over the clasp that holds it in place on the battery, then heat the wire lightly with a blow dryer to get it to relax and stay in place.    

This might not be your issue but thought I would throw it out there too as something to look at.  

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:46 AM

I had the same problem with my T3i and Orion 12VDC DC to DC converter and coupler but first a question.  Are you using a 'Canon' DC to DC Coupler and what's supplying the power to the coupler?

The Canon DC to DC Coupler has additional filtering inside to filter out noise and voltage spikes.  After I replaced the Orion Coupler with the Canon version the problems stopped.  Your voltage level could also be low.  I would measure it at the coupler.  There also may be a loose connection someplace.

#5 apophisOAS

apophisOAS

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

I bought the Canon stock model as didnt want to fry a £650 camera with cheap chinese tat.

Roger

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics