•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

32mm TV plossl from the 90s or brand new?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AxelB

AxelB

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:03 PM

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a 32mm TV plossl at a very good price. It would be nice in my C8 with f6.3 corrector to maximize exit pupil. That would be useful for difficult to see nebulas, using Oiii filters or even h-beta on the Horsehead.

The question is would that really be a good deal or am Better to buy it brand nee and benefit from a more modern coating (if it's been updated)?

Anyone compared a TV plossl from 20 years ago witb a more recent one?

Edited by AxelB, 12 August 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#2 NOLAMusEd

NOLAMusEd

Mariner 2

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:42 PM

I would say it depends on how good the price is. If it's at or more than half off the price of the new style, it's a hard value to beat.

If this 90's plossl is a smoothie, here's a couple things you'll be missing out on when compared to the modern day version. One thing is the rubber eyeguard which you may find helpful to block stray light if you observe in less than completely dark surroundings. Another is the ability to use the Tele Vue eyeguard extender, which can help for those that find the eye relief a little too generous. This also applies to Dioptrx compatibility if you wear glasses for astigmatism. And of course, as you mentioned, the upgraded coatings due to coating technology advancements. I'm sure on a bench it would read as having a higher throughput, but if that's detectable by your eye I'm not sure. I would think the differences in light throughput when comparing two eyepieces of the same design but with different coatings would be more noticable as the number of elements and air to glass surfaces go up.

On the other hand, vintage Tele Vues don't have undercuts hmm.gif

• bdcmd likes this

#3 AxelB

AxelB

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

He would sell it for 100$ cad (78 us$). I just sent him the question about the version. I absolutely need to be able to use a dioptrx so it needs to be the new version. I'll report back about it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics