•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with new lenses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Finding Xeno

Finding Xeno

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lakeville, MN

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

Hey guys,

I have a meade model DS-114 and I just got an adapter to take it from 0.965 eye pieces to 1.25in along with a pack of lenses to go with it. When I went to view saturn last night I wasn't able to get it to focus. It got better as I went in but with the focuser all the way down it was still blurry.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Viking 1

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

You may have to move the Primary Mirror of your Meade DS-114 upwards (towards the eyepiece) to shorten the telescope's focal length, and to get the 1-1/4" eyepieces to focus.  I had to do this with my classic Edmund 4.25" reflector ( https://www.cloudyni...eces/?p=7814466 ).  I'm looking at Pages 28-30 of the DS-114AT Manual ( https://www.meade.co...manualfinal.pdf ) for the "collimation" instructions (alignment of the mirrors).  It's not that hard to do with a Reflector telescope. 

• paul hart likes this

#3 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

The collimation adjustment bolts will alow moving the mirror a few mm up the tube. If this isn't enough to achieve focis, you can disassemble the back of the scope and replace the collimation bolts with longer ones from a local Ace or TrueValue hardware store. Longer bolts will also require a spacer and washer under the springs to maintain their tension.

#4 Gipht

Gipht

Ranger 4

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

I am  sure a barlow would bring the focus back, if you have one.   This may be more magnification then you want though.

#5 Finding Xeno

Finding Xeno

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

Thank you guys!

I will try to collimate it tonight and if that doesn't work I will report back.

#6 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hey guys,

I have a meade model DS-114 and I just got an adapter to take it from 0.965 eye pieces to 1.25in along with a pack of lenses to go with it. When I went to view saturn last night I wasn't able to get it to focus. It got better as I went in but with the focuser all the way down it was still blurry.

Your adapter lifted the 1.25" eyepieces out of the focuser by enough that you did not have sufficient in-travel to get them to focus.

There are many solutions, but the best one is to replace the ring on the focuser with one that has a 1.25" hole.

I recall the 0.965" adapter merely threads onto a much larger focuser drawtube in that scope.

See if Scopestuff.com has the adapter you need and you can simply unscrew the 0.965" top and thread on the 1.25" adapter and all your eyepieces

will come to focus without any changes to the position of the primary mirror.

Here is an image of what I'm talking about: http://thumbs2.ebays...HySjzDwU86w.jpg

#7 Finding Xeno

Finding Xeno

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:26 AM

Hey guys,

Your adapter lifted the 1.25" eyepieces out of the focuser by enough that you did not have sufficient in-travel to get them to focus.

There are many solutions, but the best one is to replace the ring on the focuser with one that has a 1.25" hole.

I recall the 0.965" adapter merely threads onto a much larger focuser drawtube in that scope.

See if Scopestuff.com has the adapter you need and you can simply unscrew the 0.965" top and thread on the 1.25" adapter and all your eyepieces

will come to focus without any changes to the position of the primary mirror.

Here is an image of what I'm talking about: http://thumbs2.ebays...HySjzDwU86w.jpg

Thanks Don,

If I understood correctly the piece you recommended would allow the scope to accept the 1.25" eyepieces at the "normal" level without being raised via the adapter right? That would probably be the best route to go long term if I want to stick with this scope. For the short term however I think I'm going to give moving the mirrors a shot, I leave for Nebraska on Thursday to go get setup for the eclipse and I dont think that part would arrive in time. Also debating just ditching the entire scope and upgrading to something newer, (I'm also having mount and electronic issues) do you have any recommendations for scopes in the same ballpark if not slightly better? scratchhead2.gif

#8 DLuders

DLuders

Viking 1

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

@ Finding Xeno:  At this point, you're running out of precious preparation time for the eclipse.  If you really want to "ditch" that telescope, check your local Craigslist ads to see if there is a good bargain out there.  If you order something, it may not arrive before your Thursday departure date.  Good luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics