•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

welding window for the sun

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 MartinPond

MartinPond

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

A lot of welding filters (#12 shade, electric arc welding) were being sold at the Stellfane swap tables,

and while they worked great directly over the eyes, on a scope (extensively taped, lid taped well) 'moon-port',

the image came out quite blurry.  I figured out the issue:  the tempered glass has a lot of thickness and

strain variation, so the uneven surface is a blurry 'lens' over longer distances.

And....using it right over your eyepiece would likely bake and wreck your eyepiece...

So.....only good for a 1X over-the-eyes view, unfortunately.

#2 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Apollo

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

Yes.  It is not optical quality glass so images are less than great.  Better than nothing but not as good as a proper optical quality solar filter from Baader, Thousand Oaks, and others.

#3 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

#14 is generally recommended. They are additive so a 9 and a 5 would work. But as you say, that would be optically poor.

#4 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

That's what I used for the Venus transit with a Quantaray 70-300 and Pentax Kx, aka my very first "astro" pics. I still have them for eclipse stuff, but my equipment has been upgraded substantially. Ohh, that reminds me, I need to dig out my normal solar filter.

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Welder's glass is NOT recommended for over the telescope use. They are fine for purely visual use only.  Proper filters are not expensive. Get the real thing.

#6 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Moderators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

And on that note, locked.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics