•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

welding window for the sun

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 MartinPond

MartinPond

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

A lot of welding filters (#12 shade, electric arc welding) were being sold at the Stellfane swap tables,

and while they worked great directly over the eyes, on a scope (extensively taped, lid taped well) 'moon-port',

the image came out quite blurry.  I figured out the issue:  the tempered glass has a lot of thickness and

strain variation, so the uneven surface is a blurry 'lens' over longer distances.

And....using it right over your eyepiece would likely bake and wreck your eyepiece...

So.....only good for a 1X over-the-eyes view, unfortunately.

#2 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:40 AM

Yes.  It is not optical quality glass so images are less than great.  Better than nothing but not as good as a proper optical quality solar filter from Baader, Thousand Oaks, and others.

#3 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:11 AM

#14 is generally recommended. They are additive so a 9 and a 5 would work. But as you say, that would be optically poor.

#4 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Apollo

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:54 AM

That's what I used for the Venus transit with a Quantaray 70-300 and Pentax Kx, aka my very first "astro" pics. I still have them for eclipse stuff, but my equipment has been upgraded substantially. Ohh, that reminds me, I need to dig out my normal solar filter.

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Welder's glass is NOT recommended for over the telescope use. They are fine for purely visual use only.  Proper filters are not expensive. Get the real thing.

#6 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

And on that note, locked.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics