•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focuser for a SkyQuest XT10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

I'm looking to upgrade the focuser on my Orion SkyQuest XT10 DOB. It current has a Orion 2" Crayford-Style Telescope Single Speed Focuser and I want to change it to a dual speed. The issues is all the focusers, that I have searched for the base won't fit the hole pattern and cover the hole for the focuser tube of my OTA. Do anyone know of a way to upgrade it or modify the current focuser on it. I have attached a link to the current focuser on my OTA. Thanks in advance for you help.

http://www.telescope.../51/p/13039.uts

#2 gene 4181

gene 4181

Skylab

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

Whats  "wrong " with it ?    If its not working correctly, smoothly   , then take the  back part off  with the 4 small phillips screws   and remove the focuser  tube and  re-file the flat with a  small flat mill file . When they're milled from the factory  they're not quite flat .   Don't go hog wild on it   , then wipe it off and reassemble, little white lithium grease at the plastic piece that  "pushes " against the  focuser axle and re-assemble  .  WHATEVER  you do though , make sure the tube is horizontal  , don't want anything falling into the tube  and hitting the primary or secondary mirror.   My last xt 8 needed  this done  , worked  a lot better  after this  .

#3 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

It looks to me that the Orion 2 speed low profile crayford should be a simple swap. 

http://www.orion-xt1...-focuser-1.html

Here is a link to the mod plus a bunch of other mod's on the XT10

• gene 4181 and GeorgiaSky like this

#4 Cames

Cames

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

ScopeStuff® sells focuser upgrade parts for XT dobs.   ScopeStuff catalog

Read through all the info carefully.  You can call for help with specific questions you  may have.

The company has a good reputation on CN.

---------------

C

• Jon Isaacs, tomykay12, kfiscus and 2 others like this

#5 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Whats  "wrong " with it ?    If its not working correctly, smoothly   , then take the  back part off  with the 4 small phillips screws   and remove the focuser  tube and  re-file the flat with a  small flat mill file . When they're milled from the factory  they're not quite flat .   Don't go hog wild on it   , then wipe it off and reassemble, little white lithium grease at the plastic piece that  "pushes " against the  focuser axle and re-assemble  .  WHATEVER  you do though , make sure the tube is horizontal  , don't want anything falling into the tube  and hitting the primary or secondary mirror.   My last xt 8 needed  this done  , worked  a lot better  after this  .

There's nothing wrong with it, I just want to be able to fine tune the focuser.

#6 tomykay12

tomykay12

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

A two speed focuser is a slippery slope; once you have one you don't want to go back, and you will desire one on every scope you touch...

• GeorgiaSky likes this

#7 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

I put a Scopestuff focuser on my XT10i because the focus shift of the Orion was unacceptable to me. Problem cured. The oversized knob for the fine focus knob is also recommended.

• GeorgiaSky likes this

#8 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

That's why I want to upgrade it. I have one on my Sky Watcher ED80 Pro and wouldn't have it any other way.

#9 gene 4181

gene 4181

Skylab

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

There's nothing wrong with it, I just want to be able to fine tune the focuser.

smile.gif   , That's Ok  , I was just asking .    A 2  speed   is nice to have at 5 ,  smile.gif . 

• Jon Isaacs and GeorgiaSky like this

#10 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

It looks to me that the Orion 2 speed low profile crayford should be a simple swap. 

http://www.orion-xt1...-focuser-1.html

Here is a link to the mod plus a bunch of other mod's on the XT10

I do like the idea behind this link.

#11 gwlee

gwlee

Viking 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

I'm looking to upgrade the focuser on my Orion SkyQuest XT10 DOB. It current has a Orion 2" Crayford-Style Telescope Single Speed Focuser and I want to change it to a dual speed. The issues is all the focusers, that I have searched for the base won't fit the hole pattern and cover the hole for the focuser tube of my OTA. Do anyone know of a way to upgrade it or modify the current focuser on it. I have attached a link to the current focuser on my OTA. Thanks in advance for you help.

http://www.telescope.../51/p/13039.uts

I believe that Moonlite has the hole-pattern adapters to make their focusers a drop-in replacement for the stock focuser. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics