•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focuser for a SkyQuest XT10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

I'm looking to upgrade the focuser on my Orion SkyQuest XT10 DOB. It current has a Orion 2" Crayford-Style Telescope Single Speed Focuser and I want to change it to a dual speed. The issues is all the focusers, that I have searched for the base won't fit the hole pattern and cover the hole for the focuser tube of my OTA. Do anyone know of a way to upgrade it or modify the current focuser on it. I have attached a link to the current focuser on my OTA. Thanks in advance for you help.

http://www.telescope.../51/p/13039.uts

#2 gene 4181

gene 4181

Skylab

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

Whats  "wrong " with it ?    If its not working correctly, smoothly   , then take the  back part off  with the 4 small phillips screws   and remove the focuser  tube and  re-file the flat with a  small flat mill file . When they're milled from the factory  they're not quite flat .   Don't go hog wild on it   , then wipe it off and reassemble, little white lithium grease at the plastic piece that  "pushes " against the  focuser axle and re-assemble  .  WHATEVER  you do though , make sure the tube is horizontal  , don't want anything falling into the tube  and hitting the primary or secondary mirror.   My last xt 8 needed  this done  , worked  a lot better  after this  .

#3 Allanbarth1

Allanbarth1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

It looks to me that the Orion 2 speed low profile crayford should be a simple swap. 

http://www.orion-xt1...-focuser-1.html

Here is a link to the mod plus a bunch of other mod's on the XT10

• gene 4181 and GeorgiaSky like this

#4 Cames

Cames

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

ScopeStuff® sells focuser upgrade parts for XT dobs.   ScopeStuff catalog

Read through all the info carefully.  You can call for help with specific questions you  may have.

The company has a good reputation on CN.

---------------

C

• Jon Isaacs, tomykay12, kfiscus and 2 others like this

#5 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

Whats  "wrong " with it ?    If its not working correctly, smoothly   , then take the  back part off  with the 4 small phillips screws   and remove the focuser  tube and  re-file the flat with a  small flat mill file . When they're milled from the factory  they're not quite flat .   Don't go hog wild on it   , then wipe it off and reassemble, little white lithium grease at the plastic piece that  "pushes " against the  focuser axle and re-assemble  .  WHATEVER  you do though , make sure the tube is horizontal  , don't want anything falling into the tube  and hitting the primary or secondary mirror.   My last xt 8 needed  this done  , worked  a lot better  after this  .

There's nothing wrong with it, I just want to be able to fine tune the focuser.

#6 tomykay12

tomykay12

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

A two speed focuser is a slippery slope; once you have one you don't want to go back, and you will desire one on every scope you touch...

• GeorgiaSky likes this

#7 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

I put a Scopestuff focuser on my XT10i because the focus shift of the Orion was unacceptable to me. Problem cured. The oversized knob for the fine focus knob is also recommended.

• GeorgiaSky likes this

#8 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

That's why I want to upgrade it. I have one on my Sky Watcher ED80 Pro and wouldn't have it any other way.

#9 gene 4181

gene 4181

Skylab

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

There's nothing wrong with it, I just want to be able to fine tune the focuser.

smile.gif   , That's Ok  , I was just asking .    A 2  speed   is nice to have at 5 ,  smile.gif . 

• Jon Isaacs and GeorgiaSky like this

#10 GeorgiaSky

GeorgiaSky

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

It looks to me that the Orion 2 speed low profile crayford should be a simple swap. 

http://www.orion-xt1...-focuser-1.html

Here is a link to the mod plus a bunch of other mod's on the XT10

I do like the idea behind this link.

#11 gwlee

gwlee

Viking 1

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

I'm looking to upgrade the focuser on my Orion SkyQuest XT10 DOB. It current has a Orion 2" Crayford-Style Telescope Single Speed Focuser and I want to change it to a dual speed. The issues is all the focusers, that I have searched for the base won't fit the hole pattern and cover the hole for the focuser tube of my OTA. Do anyone know of a way to upgrade it or modify the current focuser on it. I have attached a link to the current focuser on my OTA. Thanks in advance for you help.

http://www.telescope.../51/p/13039.uts

I believe that Moonlite has the hole-pattern adapters to make their focusers a drop-in replacement for the stock focuser. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics