•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

nexstar controller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bandazar

bandazar

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

anyone know what this controller is?  It came with my nexstar 5i.  But I'm beginning to think it did not originally come with it as it does not appear to fit in the slot..

Was thinking of selling it if it is not of any use to my scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• nexstarcontroller.JPG

Edited by bandazar, 13 August 2017 - 10:59 AM.

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Apollo

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

Woo Hoo,  it is a USS Starship Enterprise controller circa 1977.....

Nah....More seriously.....

It is a Nexstar 5i 'electronic hand controller' for NON-COMPUTERISED telescopes.  

It is depicted on the cover page of a Nexstar 5i instruction manual, and has limited functionality (see the manual); as regards tracking; backlash etc. It plugs into the cradle on the mount.

BUT on page 31 of that same manual is described the more familiar  Nexstar + computerised HC.  This was sold as an OPTIONAL extra. I am not sure how this plugged in if you say the HC port differs (maybe there is an adapter?). 

You can find information about the 5i and an instruction manual at www.nexstarsite.com and look for Nexstar 5i/8i/8i special edition.

#3 bandazar

bandazar

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

Oh okay.. I have the computerized controller and this hand controller.  maybe it does fit in the cradle area.  I just have to figure out how.

#4 bandazar

bandazar

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

Okay, I found a way to fit it on.  I actually like this controller a little bit better as I use it strictly in alt az mode because of where I view (Don't take it outside, just view through a window).   I'll keep the regular computerized controller of course in case I change my mind.  And yes, I know you can use the other controller in alt-az mode too.. it just takes 5 seconds longer is all since you have to hit the undo button.

Attached Thumbnails

• PIC_0001.JPG

#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Apollo

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

If you have the other Nexstar + HC controller (and despite your limited field of view); do try its extra alignment and 'GOTO' functionality. It's much easier than 'star hopping'; most especially where light pollution or poor conditions prevail.  Also do get a free copy of the SkyPortal APP to use offline as a star map. 

People paid a premium price to buy this computerised upgrade  as an optional extra on the 5i. Today, most of us wouldn't buy any Celestron scope without it and it has become standard equipment. 

#6 Geo.

Geo.

Skylab

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

To fit the computerized HC you remove the panel below the dumb unit. Both controllers us the same RJ-12 plug. The dumb unit has a RJ jack on the back that is a RS232 connection. You can use Nextremote through it to control the mount. The dumb HCs sell fo about the same amount as used computerized HCs, i.e. fortyish.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics