•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon, August 11

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Pretty happy with these, but still have yet to obtain perfect focus. 8SE and ASI224MC. Firecapture. ROI 640x480. Average fps of around 120. Each avi ran for 2 mins 40 seconds. I stacked between 3% and 7% in AS3, sharpened them up in Registax 6. Finally I did some more sharpening and noise removal in Paint Shop Pro.

Hope you like 'em. 

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image4.jpg Image5.jpg

• Sunspot, cyberplocos, Billytk and 1 other like this

#2 jklein

jklein

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

I had read - Somewhere in these forums - that an IR filter with the moon would help with focus. I was wondering if you had one in your light path.

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

No, but there's one ordered and I'll try it out in a week or so when the weather improves. Thanks!

#4 tuktuk

tuktuk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

I have questions regarding your Moon Shots

-What telescope did you use for those Pictures?

- What did you do to get so close to the moon?

- Have you taken a Moon shot and got the full moon image if so How.

My Skywatcher BK1206 , 120mm Refractor, Focal length 600mm, f5. To capture my half moon on June 28/17, I had to add a 2inch tube extension and then installed my Neximage 5 CCD camera. This made my telescope go from a f5 to f10 to 11 but I could only get a portion of the moon, a member of ours suggested I install a 1.25/0.5 focal reduction lens to the end of the Neximage 5  so I will see the whole picture of the moon. 

I haven't purchased the focal reducer, thought I might ask around on Solar System Imaging & Processing  to see if someone has done that and it works or I doesn't.

Thank You for any information in Advance.

Barry

#5 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:34 AM

Hi there. Nexstar 8SE, with a 2x Barlow, for f/20 or thereabouts, which my ASI224MC requires.
To get a full shot of the moon I have to hook up my canon EOS 600D and even then I can't get all of it. I would need to get a focal reducer for that.

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

You're on your way Kevin! waytogo.gif

Focus looks like an area you need to get a bit better handle on, but it all comes with experience - but I hope you use your eyes & not some *%$#@! mask! wink.gif

Remember, even on the Moon it can help to lower the gamma significantly to assist getting optimum focus - just make sure you return it to the default before image capturing! :)

#7 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

Hi Darryl. Nope, no mask involved. Gamma was OFF, so you think I should turn it on an reduce it below 50 nonetheless to aid focussing?
Thanks for the encouragement. UV/IR filter delivery is imminent. Weather forecast looking good for October 😂, can't wait!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics