•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon, August 11

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Pretty happy with these, but still have yet to obtain perfect focus. 8SE and ASI224MC. Firecapture. ROI 640x480. Average fps of around 120. Each avi ran for 2 mins 40 seconds. I stacked between 3% and 7% in AS3, sharpened them up in Registax 6. Finally I did some more sharpening and noise removal in Paint Shop Pro.

Hope you like 'em. 

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image4.jpg Image5.jpg

• Sunspot, cyberplocos, Billytk and 1 other like this

#2 jklein

jklein

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

I had read - Somewhere in these forums - that an IR filter with the moon would help with focus. I was wondering if you had one in your light path.

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

No, but there's one ordered and I'll try it out in a week or so when the weather improves. Thanks!

#4 tuktuk

tuktuk

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

I have questions regarding your Moon Shots

-What telescope did you use for those Pictures?

- What did you do to get so close to the moon?

- Have you taken a Moon shot and got the full moon image if so How.

My Skywatcher BK1206 , 120mm Refractor, Focal length 600mm, f5. To capture my half moon on June 28/17, I had to add a 2inch tube extension and then installed my Neximage 5 CCD camera. This made my telescope go from a f5 to f10 to 11 but I could only get a portion of the moon, a member of ours suggested I install a 1.25/0.5 focal reduction lens to the end of the Neximage 5  so I will see the whole picture of the moon. 

I haven't purchased the focal reducer, thought I might ask around on Solar System Imaging & Processing  to see if someone has done that and it works or I doesn't.

Thank You for any information in Advance.

Barry

#5 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:34 AM

Hi there. Nexstar 8SE, with a 2x Barlow, for f/20 or thereabouts, which my ASI224MC requires.
To get a full shot of the moon I have to hook up my canon EOS 600D and even then I can't get all of it. I would need to get a focal reducer for that.

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Cosmos

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

You're on your way Kevin! waytogo.gif

Focus looks like an area you need to get a bit better handle on, but it all comes with experience - but I hope you use your eyes & not some *%$#@! mask! wink.gif

Remember, even on the Moon it can help to lower the gamma significantly to assist getting optimum focus - just make sure you return it to the default before image capturing! :)

#7 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

Hi Darryl. Nope, no mask involved. Gamma was OFF, so you think I should turn it on an reduce it below 50 nonetheless to aid focussing?
Thanks for the encouragement. UV/IR filter delivery is imminent. Weather forecast looking good for October 😂, can't wait!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics