•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

swarovski slc 10x56 vs swarovski el 10x50

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bockos

bockos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Hi,
I read some reviews about swarovski el 10x50 and swarovski slc 10x56,
and I wonder which to decide, which is better in terms of resolution and pin-point sharpness?

Is there anyone who tried them both?
Which is brighter and will give me more wow effect and pleasing view?

Which is best suited for astronomy?
Thanks and best regards!

#2 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:58 PM

Deja Vu!

https://www.cloudyni...vski-slc-10x56/ cool.gif

#3 bockos

bockos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

Thanks, it sound like there is mixed opinions and for one 10x50 is better, for other the 10x56.

#4 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

Yep. It just depends on what attributes are most important to you. Depending one where you observe the most, the extra bright images of the 10x56 SLC could reveal more faint details, or it may just brighten up an already too bright suburban night sky. Field flatteners are really nice though. Especially in a wide field design. So I would give the edge to the EL, though I've never looked through either one...

#5 bockos

bockos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

Thanks again, and how the slc 10x56 compared to zeiss fl 10x56, does zeiss fl close to performance?

#6 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:02 AM

Thanks again, and how the slc 10x56 compared to zeiss fl 10x56, does zeiss fl close to performance?

Erik Bakker should come by shortly and give you good input on those questions.

#7 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

Actually... I've read this thread and knew it was out there, so I just went and found it...

https://www.cloudyni.../?hl= swarovski 

#8 bockos

bockos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

Thank you very much, the answers are great!

#9 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

Thank for helping out guys. Most has been said already smile.gif

For more detail do read the comparison of the Zeiss Victory FL 56 and Swarovski SLC 56 WB binoculars here on CN and  EL 50 vs SLC 56 in links already provided by SMark.

Here is my bottom line summary on these wonderful binoculars. Of course, YMMV. Any one of these are fantastic with their own strengths and weaknesses. 

From Swarovski, the SLC 56's are the brightest, the EL 50's the nicest binoculars and they cost more too.

The Zeiss Victory FL 56's are different from both the SLC and EL.

They have a curved field, which I prefer both day and night to the flat fields of both Swarovski's.

If you are going to use the binoculars mainly during the day and occasionally at night, I would choose the Swarovski 50 EL in the 10x model. It is light, compact and just wonderful for that use.

If you will mainly use them at night and sometimes during the day, the 56 mm models from both Swarovski and Zeiss are brighter and much bigger and heavier than the Swarovski EL 50's. The EL's have slightly better corrected optics than the SLC's, but the SLC's are brighter due to their larger objective lenses and different prism system. That brightness shows at night. But overall the EL 50's are better made and more suitable for allround day/night use IMHO.

But all these differences are minor. Any of these binoculars is superb and will show thrilling images of the heavens under good skies.

If money matters, the SLC 56's have the brightest images and the best value for money.

If money is no object, the EL 50's are wonderful and the smallest, most compact of them all.

The Victory FL's are no longer available new. They went out of production around 2014.

• SMark likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics