•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM60 Mounted on AVX 2" Tripod

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ortonville, MI

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

Okay so I took advantage of the sale on Ioptron's CEM 60 mounts only figured I try and save a little and reuse my 2" tripod from my AVX

I purchased this aluminum disk off Ebay for $24 including shipping, it's 6.125 x .750

DSC_0178 (Small).JPG

The mounting studs came with the mount, they are M8 1.25, the drill and tap at home depot cost $8. It didn't come with the center pin, that comes with the tripod from Ioptron, cost...$15 inc shipping.

The AVX tripod, 2" aluminum, very similar to Ioptron's $298 - 2" aluminum tripod

DSC_0179 (Small).JPG

The AVX tripod had two existing M8 threaded holes for the azimuth adjusters, I used those to mount the disk to the tripod.

DSC_0180 (Medium).JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0184 (Small).JPG

Edited by Whuppy, 14 August 2017 - 06:49 PM.

• saga01, jeremiah2229, mahagen1 and 1 other like this

#2 mahagen1

mahagen1

Viking 1

• Loc: Minnetonka, MN

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

That CEM60 looks massive on that tripod.  How do you like it so far?

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

There have been some negative comments about the iOptron tripod not damping out vibrations.  You may find the same to be true with the AVX tripod.  The proof is in how well it guides though.  Just to be on the safe side, I ordered the larger portable pier with CEM60, and that pier is quite expensive.   You should expect, with good seeing and good balance under 1 arc-second total error in guiding.  I have been getting a lot of results between 0.65 and 0.80 arc second total error with the pier.

I wish you luck and hope your AVX tripod works.  You are showing a lot of ingenuity and tolerance for risk.

#4 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

This thread was remarkably well timed. Thank you! I was here searching for the mounting details for my soon-to-arrive CEM60. I need to make a plate to adapt it to my pier, and now I know how. Thank you!

-Jim

#5 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

That CEM60 looks massive on that tripod.  How do you like it so far?

It may be in part because the tripod is lowered all the way

There have been some negative comments about the iOptron tripod not damping out vibrations.  You may find the same to be true with the AVX tripod.  The proof is in how well it guides though.  Just to be on the safe side, I ordered the larger portable pier with CEM60, and that pier is quite expensive.   You should expect, with good seeing and good balance under 1 arc-second total error in guiding.  I have been getting a lot of results between 0.65 and 0.80 arc second total error with the pier.

I wish you luck and hope your AVX tripod works.  You are showing a lot of ingenuity and tolerance for risk.

I never read any comments about the Iopton tripod but they appear almost identical. I do have it lowered all the way and that that helps. I had it the same way for my AVX, but what I now  know for sure is it the 2 times I've briefly had it out, it guides way better than the AVX ever didbounce.gifbounce.gifbounce.gif and without none of the fuss!

This thread was remarkably well timed. Thank you! I was here searching for the mounting details for my soon-to-arrive CEM60. I need to make a plate to adapt it to my pier, and now I know how. Thank you!

-Jim

You're very welcome, Jim

#6 mahagen1

mahagen1

Viking 1

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

I have had some issues with the tripod but I usually have the legs mostly extended out and its uneven ground otherwise I find myself doing yoga maneuvers while doing alignment stars.

I built a pier Whuppy.  I will post a pic of it if Verizon will deliver the email I sent to myself from my phone. 

I bet I could make a plate just like yours but with 3 tapped holes to fit on the bottom plate from Dan's Pier Plates.  Then I could use the CEM60 on the AVX tripod or on the pier.  Its getting more and more tempting to buy a CEM60.

#7 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

-Jim

I should have mentioned, Ioptron does provide the dimensions for the mounting studs on their website.

Here's a screen shot of PHD the last time I had it out and letting it guide for about 30 minutes. Time was short and there was no special care taken other than trying to learn Ioptron's polar alignment routine and get comfortable with the HC. Hopefully soon (weather permitting) I can get out and put some serious effort in and see what it's capable of? Down the road I don't rule out a pier, it's just a little to permanent for me right now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8.12.17 phd.jpg

• kingjamez and seitanfingers like this

#8 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Looks like the tracking is working great!  Wish you could have done this 6 weeks ago.  Might of saved me some money.

#9 mahagen1

mahagen1

Viking 1

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

The whole setup looks great.  The work you did getting the plate ready to go looks nice.  Is the center pin you point out in the picture tapped in or press fit?

#10 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

How does that center pin work? Does it just provide a pivot or does the mount somehow attach to the pin? If it's just a pivot point I think I could make one on my lathe to fit into a hole in the adapter plate.

#11 1074j

1074j

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

I also have my CEM60 on a tripod (iOptron) and also don't extend the legs.  In fact, I bury the feet an inch or two in the dirt for more stability and have found the setup to be plenty stable.

#12 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

The whole setup looks great. The work you did getting the plate ready to go looks nice. Is the center pin you point out in the picture tapped in or press fit

The one I was sent is neither. I would have prefered that it screwed in. The pin is actually trapped by tight in a screw in the bottom. I had to drill a hole large enough for the screw and then from the top I had to drill a larger hole about 3/16" deep for the shoulder to sit in. So you put the pin in from the top and tighten the screw from the bottom. The pin only serves as a pivot and the mount only sits on it.

Yes, the pin acts as a pivot when using the azimuth adjusters. You will need something and it would be very easy to make your own. The total cost for the adapter came to about $50.

Edited by Whuppy, 15 August 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#13 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:56 AM

Looks like the tracking is working great! Wish you could have done this 6 weeks ago. Might of saved me some money.

Wish I could've done it 2 years ago😉

#14 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

I did something very similar using a meade standard field tripod (see post #35)

https://www.cloudyni...ice-drop/page-2

It has proven very stable for imaging...John

#15 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

I did something very similar using a meade standard field tripod (see post #35)

https://www.cloudyni...ice-drop/page-2

It has proven very stable for imaging...John

Yep, that's where I got the inspiration. Thank you for the post and pictures😆

#16 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

What is the diameter and height of the center post? 

-Jim

#17 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

-Jim

I'll check on that tonight for you.

#18 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

-Jim

I got it. iOptron support tells me that it's 12mm in diameter and 10-15mm in height. Off to the lathe!

-Jim

• vlad dumitrescu likes this

#19 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

-Jim

I got it. iOptron support tells me that it's 12mm in diameter and 10-15mm in height. Off to the lathe!

-Jim

Okay pretty much what I got which was, 11.90mm (12mm) diameter and 10.09 high. Height can vary as the center hole goes all the way through the base.

Good luck,

~Jim

#20 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

I also have my CEM60 on a tripod (iOptron) and also don't extend the legs.  In fact, I bury the feet an inch or two in the dirt for more stability and have found the setup to be plenty stable.

I'm curious if you could post a picture of your set up. I'd like to compare?

#21 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

I got my CEM60 adapter plate finished and working last night. 

I think I bought my aluminum plate from the same seller as Whuppy. For future folks who want to do this. 6.125"x3/4" is near about perfect in size. I think 6"x1/2" is the smallest I'd go on the dimensions for the round plate.

Also note that the spacing for the two threaded posts is 130mm. On the iOptron blueprint, there are two sets of holes, one set at 120mm and one at 130mm. See those extra holes in my plate?.... :-)

I ended up using those extra holes to bolt the plate to the bottom of my disc brake mounting bracket that anchors to concrete in my pier. I just drilled 2 holes into the top of the disc brake using the 120mm holes already drilled in my top plate as a jig and used two M8x1.25 bolts to hold it down. It's very secure.

For the center post, I used MR126ZZ bearings held in place with a M6 cap head screw. I threaded a hole in the center of the plate to accept the M6 screw to hold the bearing down. The height dimension isn't critical as the CEM60 has an open hole in it's bottom. I stacked 4 bearings making it higher than the recommended 15mm, but it's no problem. 

The bearings have a 12mm outside diameter and a 6mm inside diameter so they fit perfectly into the bottom of the CEM60, and 6mm bolt holds them in place "well enough".

I don't think the smooth action of the bearings plays a large role, but this thing was so incredibly smooth to polar align last night... it just went exactly where I wanted it to go. Such a dramatic change from my Atlas mount.

cem60-plate.jpg

• dmcnally, dvalid, mahagen1 and 1 other like this

#22 Whuppy

Whuppy

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

The ebay seller is probably kinda puzzled as to why the sudden popularity of the disks. I agree this was the perfect size for the Cem60, being just slightly larger than the base and fits my AVX tripod perfectly. Excellent work on the disk and nicely done using the bearings for the center pin. So far my setup is working great. I got 13-5 minute subs last Friday of the Eastern Veil before clouds moved in. Still learning the Cem60 and finding Go2Nova has its quirks!

I found the most difficult part while making the disk was getting the mounting studs in the correct position so when the mount was placed onto the disk they had the necessary clearance and the studs didn't interfere with the movement while trying to adjust. The second issue came up when drilling the hole for the center pin. After it was drilled I remember thinking..."I sure hope these 3 line up right and don't interfere with each other". As luck would have it, they all lined up perfectly and the adjustments are smooth as silk😊

Edited by Whuppy, 29 August 2017 - 08:39 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics