•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oregon Traffic

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

I have noted that here in Prineville today, the traffic in town is a total zoo. It appears to be mainly those folks going to the music/entertainment/eclipse festival on Big Summit Prairie that opened it's gates at noon today. Lots of "Hippie Types" all over the place.

OTOH, I drove to Redmond today and the traffic was a bit heavy and slow but mostly not all that much until I hit town (and I went around on the side streets - pays to be local <g>). A friend also came down 26 from Portland and he reported much the same - 

very slow in town but only a bit slow on the highways.  I would suggest the ODOT site - they are now using Waze data so should be fairly up to date:

https://tripcheck.co...RCMap.asp#modal

Of course, the weekend could be a whole different deal - we shall see.

#2 Glenn Graham

Glenn Graham

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the update Bill. Really appreciate it.

#3 whwang

whwang

Gemini

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

No way..... It's still quite a few days until the eclipse, and the traffic already starts to show up???

No I am worried.

#4 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

I have told all our guests to arrive as early as possible. As for me, I am gassed up and stocked up and will sit on our hill and watch the people and the eclipse until it is over and all the visitors have cleared out of the area.

I just hope there are not too many accidents.

Bend Bulletin on Traffic:

http://www.bendbulle...me&referrer=top

What is interesting is that it was very clear that most of this traffic was to the big summit event. The ODOT site showed congestion on US 26 - right up to where you turn off to go to that festival (and The Oregon Star Party). 26 beyond that showed clear - the transition was quite abrupt.

#5 PaulEK

PaulEK

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:32 AM

My son and I passed through Prineville, OR, today scouting out spots for Monday. We stopped in at the BLM/Forest Service centers there on the eastern edge of town. They had folks out at tables in the parking lot, to help visitors. Free maps and good advice. We had seen one of those digital highway signs a few blocks back, which was flashing the message EVENT...16 MILES...EVENT...16 MILES. The rangers mentioned that there was something starting up there; a festival.

My son and I drove on out of town, but before we had gotten even halfway through those 16 miles, traffic came to a standstill. In fifteen minutes, we moved one car length. I shut off my engine, got out of my car, and walked back to talk to the person behind me. He said, yes, there's a big festival, starting today and lasting until after the eclipse. and that early arrivals were welcome today. He also said attendees were supposed to expect to wait in line for from two to six hours!!! When I told him I just wanted to get through on the main east-west highway in the area, he said 'I think you should probably turn around and find another way for now.' (Very friendly guy; sounded French.)

So we did. In the fifteen minutes we were stuck, the line behind us grew by over half a mile. We went back to the rangers to tell them, and they were not happy. They were grateful for the news and had had no idea. One of them showed me where the event was taking place: it was sixteen miles to the turn-off from the highway, but many more miles to the venue itself. They said people were paying $400 to attend, and it was like Burning Man. 35,000 are expected. Folks figured traffic would get better once folks were into the place (if they leave during the five days, for any reason, they are not allowed back in!)

Maybe I'm just not a good researcher, but I had not heard about this at all. We're planning now to find a spot somewhere in the National Grassland outside of Madras.

Edited by PaulEK, 17 August 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#6 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

Wow.....this could be the the Y2K just 17 years delayed.   Yikes

• Duxrule likes this

#7 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Yes, this is the one I referred to in the OP. It is discussed here.

http://www.refinery2...val-celebration

The actual website for the festival is down right now.

Traffic was indeed heavy yesterday but has thinned out today, probably because the festival is now running.

FYI, the Oregon Star Party is also up the same side road and that is about 1000 folks as well. OSP has been at that site for 20 years and can't be too happy about all the hippie traffic. Prineville was filled with "alternative lifestyle" (Politically correct term, I tend to use something more descriptive) people yesterday!

I would expect more general eclipse traffic starting tomorrow.

I was testing a time-lapse camera for the eclipse and caught this traffic. Also note the smoke flow from a fire to the west.

https://youtu.be/QpgMwORcXdo

Edited by CCDMan, 17 August 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#8 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

UPDATE:

Traffic on 26 East of Prineville has been at a dead stop for at least 10 miles for the past hour. I can see the 10 mile plus long "parking lot" from my deck. According to the local Police twitter, this is mostly traffic going to the big rock/new age/hippie/eclipse thing East of here and they are working on rerouting that traffic. My wife had gone to town and is now stuck in the line - she has decided to turn around and park in town and walk the 4 miles to home. Photo attached from a half hour ago - it is worse now and extends out of sight in both directions.

Lesson here is that if there is a big gathering near you, leave early or try to avoid it.

Attached Files

Edited by CCDMan, 17 August 2017 - 03:31 PM.

#9 cmassa

cmassa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chico, California

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

Ugh.

I'm staying in Bend this weekend and was hoping to get out near Mitchell and the Painted Hills to view the eclipse. I'm worried and hoping it's not like that on Monday morning. Looking at the maps, I don't really see any way around Prineville to get east.

Chris

#10 Kelso

Kelso

Ranger 4

• Loc: Chehalis, WA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:50 PM

Sigh.  I'm driving south from Vancouver (WA) and sitting here wondering how early I should leave on Monday morning.

#11 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

Ugh.

I'm staying in Bend this weekend and was hoping to get out near Mitchell and the Painted Hills to view the eclipse. I'm worried and hoping it's not like that on Monday morning. Looking at the maps, I don't really see any way around Prineville to get east.

Chris

Indeed, I have some guests coming in from Bend and Redmond Monday very early. I do suspect this is just the **** hippies and their concert but hard to be sure. I have been told that once they are in the concert venue, they will not be allowed back in if they leave so that part of the traffic should be mostly done by the end of today.

Waze indicates that it clears past the Ochoco reservoir but it just occurred to me that Waze depends on cell data and that is just about the point that cell service drops. That means that the jam could, and probably does, extend a lot farther, well unto the access road up to Big Summit Prairie that the hippies have to use. That, in turn, backs up 26 - probably why they are rerouting traffic. That makes sense because the access road to Big Summit is a very narrow and winding mountain road and would slow down traffic something fierce. I will update this when  traffic clears (after I pick up my wife's car in town).

BTW, this will also affect our poor fellow astronomers going to OSP.

Edited by CCDMan, 17 August 2017 - 03:59 PM.

#12 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

Yup If one was not @ ITS/OSP by @ least Monday, there's gonna be problems finding a spot there also. There is a "backway", yet involves more miles of gravel & time..yet would probably be faster considering all this other stupidity...

#13 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Yup If one was not @ ITS/OSP by @ least Monday, there's gonna be problems finding a spot there also. There is a "backway", yet involves more miles of gravel & time..yet would probably be faster considering all this other stupidity...

That back way is probably how they are rerouting traffic to the Hippie festival.  Here is an aerial of the festival at 9 AM today:

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSP.jpg   215.19KB   4 downloads

#14 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

The "backway" is from the south/Paulina....probably not one scope in that mess..

#15 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

Why would they schedule that festival around the date of such a major eclipse?  Better to wait a week.

#16 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:14 PM

Why would they schedule that festival around the date of such a major eclipse?  Better to wait a week.

It is promoted as a kind of combination music festival and new-agey mystical eclipse thing.

#17 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

UPDATE:

Now that they diverted traffic to the festival, 26 is back to normal with very light traffic. It still shows as closed on the net but is not, just diverted for festival traffic.

Edited by CCDMan, 17 August 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#18 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

It is promoted as a kind of combination music festival and new-agey mystical eclipse thing.

Don't eat or drink anything you didn't prepare/open yourself.....may never "come down"  lol.gif

#19 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:03 PM

Don't eat or drink anything you didn't prepare/open yourself.....may never "come down"  lol.gif

Stay away from the brown acid!

• Dwight J and Duxrule like this

#20 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

I have noted that here in Prineville today, the traffic in town is a total zoo. It appears to be mainly those folks going to the music/entertainment/eclipse festival on Big Summit Prairie that opened it's gates at noon today. Lots of "Hippie Types" all over the place.

OTOH, I drove to Redmond today and the traffic was a bit heavy and slow but mostly not all that much until I hit town (and I went around on the side streets - pays to be local <g>). A friend also came down 26 from Portland and he reported much the same - 

very slow in town but only a bit slow on the highways.  I would suggest the ODOT site - they are now using Waze data so should be fairly up to date:

https://tripcheck.co...RCMap.asp#modal

Of course, the weekend could be a whole different deal - we shall see.

Hmm...actually seems early for the traffic to be picking up.  The eclipse is Monday.  Most people travelling to get there probably have jobs.  I'd expect Friday and Saturday to be when it really kicks into "invasion" levels of incoming.  Hunker down.  It'll be like the seven plagues.  Hippies are the first plague...

Best wishes,

Jim

#21 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like fun, actually.  But we've outgrown hippie.  

Instead, it'll be Manchego, Brie, cornichons, Kalamatas, Sopressata, whole grain mustard, Calabrese Salami, grapes, french bread, olive oil, aged balsamic topped off with a chilled (real French, not the fake California blend called) Chablis, and Serrie's Stargazer's Journey playing quietly in the background.  Unless we hike up into the volcanic crater that is directly under centerline.  Then it'll be fruit and nuts.  No way am I lugging a bunch of gear and food up and down cliff faces.

Regards,

Jim

• allev8s likes this

#22 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

Why would they schedule that festival around the date of such a major eclipse? Better to wait a week.

Don't eat or drink anything you didn't prepare/open yourself.....may never "come down" lol.gif
Stay away from the brown acid!
Yea, going easy this time, starting off with a Sundog beer, then will switch to Corona ;)

#23 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Yea, going easy this time, starting off with a Sundog beer, then will switch to Corona wink.gif

Beer, Yuk. I will stick with fresh brewed gunpowder iced tea.

My son thinks I am nuts, I suppose, he is in the brewing business (sensory expert).

Not sure on the status of 26. They "closed" it on the East side of Prineville for at least a while today so traffic is light at our place East of town but that may just be because we are back to normal traffic if they have diverted Festival traffic only. They are sure running those Festival folks out of the way to get to the Festival but they had no choice, since 26 is the only road to town and hospitals and such for anyone out this way for maybe 60 miles or more. They simply could not allow it to be blocked.

Edited by CCDMan, 17 August 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#24 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

What's gonna be the "real fun" is the mass exodus of all the hiptardpies ..fleeing like rats, heading back to their safe spaces for further mass stupidity...

Wonder how the traffic was "diverted"?   Once E out of Prineville, to the cutoff towards the ranger station is the only way up and over into

that area.

Seems they would have to route the hiptards S towards Paulina, then back N....

One flicked joint could cause mass hysteria.....

#25 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

What's gonna be the "real fun" is the mass exodus of all the hiptardpies ..fleeing like rats, heading back to their safe spaces for further mass stupidity...

Wonder how the traffic was "diverted"?   Once E out of Prineville, to the cutoff towards the ranger station is the only way up and over into

that area.

Seems they would have to route the hiptards S towards Paulina, then back N....

One flicked joint could cause mass hysteria.....

Yes, they sent them via Paulina (diverted at the last intersection in Prineville) and then over some very secondary roads. You are right, those roads go thru forest and that increases the fire danger.

As far as leaving, the festival runs until the 23rd, hopefully most will stay until then.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics