•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oregon Traffic

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle, Washington

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

CCDMan -  20 is the only way into camp sherman.  sisters is 6 or 7 miles east of my right turn to camp sherman so i think id be ok getting there.   smoke will be what kills my if i get skunked.

- myles

#52 EdmontonAB

EdmontonAB

Apollo

• Loc: Sooke, BC , Canada

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

Salem or Madras?  Don't have a place to stay in Salem but there is less chance of smoke.

#53 Myles

Myles

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle, Washington

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:50 AM

Something quite incredible just happened. My wife reached out to an old high school friend on Facebook that we last saw 10+ years ago here in Seattle. She and her family live in Albany, I had forgotten. So it's likely we'll backtrack to Albany early Monday am if It looks bad in camp Sherman. Albany has 1:50 totality and a pretty good forecast right now. I am very syched to have options.

- Myles

Edited by Myles, 20 August 2017 - 12:54 AM.

#54 rathijit

rathijit

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:58 AM

Salem or Madras? Don't have a place to stay in Salem but there is less chance of smoke.

I’m wondering the same thing. I am staying the night at Klamath Falls, so tomorrow (Sunday) I have the option to change my destination to Salem if Madras is looking bad. Same as you, I have accommodations only in Madras.

#55 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

The smoke forecast right now for tomorrow shows that we should be OK in Prineville, although just barely, same for Madras, but timing is everything so only tomorrow will tell. 

http://airquality.we...p?period=3#tabs

The traffic here has been really very light so far except for the single traffic jam from the Symbiosis concert on Thursday.

#56 bluestripe

bluestripe

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

The smoke forecast right now for tomorrow shows that we should be OK in Prineville, although just barely, same for Madras, but timing is everything so only tomorrow will tell. 

http://airquality.we...p?period=3#tabs

The traffic here has been really very light so far except for the single traffic jam from the Symbiosis concert on Thursday.

Thanks so much for your updates. I'm in the Crook County RV Park in Prineville and have been watching this data like a hawk. Do you have any idea how visible that "red cloud" will be (looking at vertical smoke integration)? I'm not sure how to interpret the map in terms of real world visibility. Looks like Prineville will be in a "Grey" area. 

#57 cmassa

cmassa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chico, California

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

Bend is pretty nice this morning. A few small clouds passing by and smoke is staying to the west. Since my lodging is outside totality I need to make my final plans for viewing. I need to just find somewhere off the road to park and watch. My original plan was to drive out towards Mitchell, possibly up to the Painted Hiils. The other option is to go north on 97 towards Madras and turn on some side road, maybe towards the Haystack Reservoir? 

Any recommendations since I really don't know the area very well? Obviously I'm trying to minimize the traffic impact of our journey. Still trying to figure out what time I should get on the road tomorrow as well?

Thanks,

Chris

#58 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

Seems traffic is semi light , yet some areas show slowing..(will have to zoom in to get better details). Can click on the camera icon's for views..

https://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp#

It probably all changes around noonish Monday...

#59 rathijit

rathijit

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

Made it to Madras this afternoon, around 2pm from Klamath Falls. Traffic wasn’t bad at all. It’s pretty cloudy here in Madras right now, but tomorrow’s weather doesn’t look bad at all. Still worried about the smoke though.

#60 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Why would they schedule that festival around the date of such a major eclipse?  Better to wait a week.

It is promoted as a kind of combination music festival and new-agey mystical eclipse thing.

and all y'all wonder why the rest of us think y'all out there on the left coast are *insane*...

massive <wink>

#61 CCDMan

CCDMan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

and all y'all wonder why the rest of us think y'all out there on the left coast are *insane*...

massive <wink>

Nope, just the weirdos, and freaks, here is an article where a local reporter visited the site:

http://www.bendbulle...me&referrer=top

Traffic here still close to non-existent at 6 PM Sunday....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics