•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

$12 Pocket Microscope Recommendation + Inquiry about Targets

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darthteddy93

darthteddy93

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

Hi all,

I want to introduce you all to a pocket microscope that a friend introduced to me that's just amazing: https://smile.amazon...cket microscope

As the title says, it's $12 for one and it can go up to 120 power. It works best on flat surfaces. It requires 1 AA battery for its built-in light or u could use a flashlight. I just love it since it's so cheap and portable and it's a great way to introduce science and the world of the microscopic to people. In fact, I had a college class where 2 ppl who had no interest in science whatsoever got to play around with it and they loved it so much that they essentially turned into children when using it. 

Now I've been looking for recommendations of targets for this microscope. My usual go-to list is as follows: 

-Your skin/hair

-Any kind of fabric

-Printed graphics

-Onion pieces

-Paper

-Salt/sugar

What are your recommendations of everyday items that would look amazing through this microscope? What could I sample to see some microorganisms? What other recommendations do you guys have that could cover something I haven't thought about? 

#2 NEOhio

NEOhio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Pond water, good chance you will have paramecia and other microbes in it. Not sure whether this scope would have enough magnification though. 

• wrnchhead likes this

#3 alstarjoey

alstarjoey

Mariner 2

• Loc: Peoria, IL

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

If you can find an EPROM, you can see the structure of an integrated circuit. oops, I letting my age outlol.gif

two dogs and a telescope

• wrnchhead and hippo.potamus like this

#4 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:33 PM

At that price, go for it. Nothing more entertaining, to open up a new world of the tiny.
These little gizmos, not much bigger than eye loupes, are wonderful:
http://m.ebay.com/it...b4182%7Ciid%3A6
Switch between bright white or ultra v led light, and truly pocket sized.
I never saw a more enthusiastic response to a stocking stuffer from a nine year old kid.

Rocks
bugs
fabric weaves,
soil samples
wood grain
tiny fossils
Pond critters
plant parts
seeds
Spices

#5 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

I am not sure of the power, but I use the erector that came with my (a gift from my girlfriend) Meade dept. store telescope as a handheld microscope. It's perfect for looking at the details of a coin face, the numbering on an electronics chip. A tool like this would be useful for a number of things!! 

#6 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

DarthTeddy
I purchased one of those little microscopes. Super sturdy build, ease of use, focus and zoom. I like the standard battery size and easy "controls". Every pocket should have one!
  • darthteddy93 likes this

#7 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Those are great tools! One of my past jobs was as an automotive paint salesman I used it to identify paint defects. Things like dust, dirt and the like could be seen and the origin determined and corrected. I picked it up for a few dollars @Radio Shack  it was my most effective investigative tool.

Grey

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics