Jump to content

  •  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it still too early to be anxious? (Nebraska)

  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 FrenchStar

FrenchStar

    Messenger

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 467
  • Joined: 23 Jul 2010
  • Loc: St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Landing in Omaha, Nebraska, Sunday morning. From the latest predictions, it looks like Nebraska will be covered with clouds from West to East...

 

My instinct tells me to drive West as much as I am able to (near Alliance maybe) and hope for the best...

 

Anybody facing the same dilemma about Nebraska?



#2 groverro

groverro

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 54
  • Joined: 08 Jul 2015

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

Landing in Omaha, Nebraska, Sunday morning. From the latest predictions, it looks like Nebraska will be covered with clouds from West to East...

 

My instinct tells me to drive West as much as I am able to (near Alliance maybe) and hope for the best...

 

Anybody facing the same dilemma about Nebraska?

My backup was Beatrice, Fairmont, York & Geneva area in Nebraska so I will start finalizing on Sunday. I am in St Joseph, MO so I can go East/West. However, St Louis is looking really good right now.



#3 Sioux34

Sioux34

    Sputnik

  • -----
  • Posts: 47
  • Joined: 17 Feb 2017
  • Loc: Cedar Rapids, IA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

I will be camped in St Joe MO.  It isn't looking so good there for Monday.  I am not sure what I will do yet.  I guess I will make that call some time Sunday as well.



#4 FrenchStar

FrenchStar

    Messenger

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 467
  • Joined: 23 Jul 2010
  • Loc: St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

 

Landing in Omaha, Nebraska, Sunday morning. From the latest predictions, it looks like Nebraska will be covered with clouds from West to East...

 

My instinct tells me to drive West as much as I am able to (near Alliance maybe) and hope for the best...

 

Anybody facing the same dilemma about Nebraska?

My backup was Beatrice, Fairmont, York & Geneva area in Nebraska so I will start finalizing on Sunday. I am in St Joseph, MO so I can go East/West. However, St Louis is looking really good right now.

 

771 KM from Lincoln. I have 24 hours to travel that distance... I close my eyes and all I see is a huge parking lot on the highway... Thanks for your input!



#5 bnickeson

bnickeson

    Ranger 4

  • -----
  • Posts: 311
  • Joined: 24 Oct 2016

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

If you stay away from far southeast NE you should at least be out of the rain and low clouds.  However, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of consensus on high clouds yet.  Euro wants to overspread the whole state (though it is the outlier), GFS wants a thick band just south of the NE-KS border and another strip around North Platte, NAM is showing a slight gap in the clouds in south central NE.  It's still a little too early to nail down where the best spot will be.  Honestly probably won't know for sure until Sunday night.

 

I think it's safe to say there will be a few gaps in the high clouds in NE but it might require some last minute driving.



#6 CP Kuiper

CP Kuiper

    Surveyor 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 1,836
  • Joined: 17 Jun 2015
  • Loc: Central Iowa

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

For me, I just need a 3 minute or so gap in time for totality.

 

I won't decide which way to go from here in central IA until late Sunday afternoon.

I'll wind up somewhere in NE, KS, or MO Sunday night.

NE - south of I-80 - is my 1st preference, KS is 2nd, and MO is 3rd.

 

Wherever I go I'll set up my ST-80 and do some star gazing Sunday night.

I'll get some sleep in my anti-gravity lounge chair.

In the morning I'll have cold coffee and a sandwich or 2 for brunch.

I'll put the solar filter on the ST-80 to follow the partial phase - clouds permitting - and will watch totality naked eye and through my 20x80 binocular.

 

I'll plan to be rural to beat the crowds and to make late location adjustment possible.


  • brave_ulysses and FrenchStar like this

#7 Don W

Don W

    Founding Member

  • *****
  • Posts: 24,307
  • Joined: 19 May 2003
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Grand Island is forecast to be partly cloudy. That was from this morning.



#8 mcroghan

mcroghan

    Lift Off

  • -----
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 27 May 2009
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:04 PM


I'll be in a hotel in Kearney starting Saturday night. Midway on I-80 between Lincoln and North Platte. That stretch of road runs east/west cutting through the path the whole way.

That's my plan B, or whatever it takes.
  • FrenchStar likes this

#9 CP Kuiper

CP Kuiper

    Surveyor 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 1,836
  • Joined: 17 Jun 2015
  • Loc: Central Iowa

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

I'm the only docent at a state historical site here in Iowa that is open 7 days a week during the summer months.

Fortunately the site only gets a hand full of visitors on any given Monday and I've been granted leave Monday.

The site will be closed Monday allowing me to hit the road Sunday afternoon after I close the site at 4 PM.


Edited by CP Kuiper, 18 August 2017 - 05:39 PM.


#10 smallplot

smallplot

    Lift Off

  • -----
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 18 Aug 2017

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

We're traveling with school age kids and were planning on Beatrice as Plan A.  Crowds for sure, but NASA and Bill Nye was a draw for them. The long term predictions were good for NE also.

 

Now I'm second guessing in a big way.  We have reservations in southern IL, but need to decide by tomorrow night. 



#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

    ISS

  • *****
  • Posts: 20,137
  • Joined: 27 Oct 2014

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

I'm headed for Scottsbluff.  Looks like a nailbiter.  Partly cloudy at sunrise, diminishing thru the morning.  Then a big surge in clouds that right now is scheduled for after totality.

 

Thing is, I'm not seeing where to "run".  W toward Casper is likely to be jammed, E is not likely to be better weather.  And, barring a change in the forecast, if things go bad, it will be too late to run.

 

All suggestions appreciated.


Edited by bobzeq25, 18 August 2017 - 06:41 PM.


#12 winstar

winstar

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 23 Jul 2016
  • Loc: Tyler, Texas

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

I'm booked near Alliance, and have friends coming along. Kind of wish I had planned on doing this solo, so I could change plans at the whim of weather. I may stick with Alliance and hope for a break in the clouds. :(


  • JimMo and txmnjim like this

#13 bunyon

bunyon

    Aurora

  • *****
  • Posts: 4,930
  • Joined: 23 Oct 2010
  • Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

Unless one can get to Idaho or Oregon it'll be hit and miss.

I'm already trying to find my zen. I really don't want to miss it, none of us do, but life will go on and, on balance, I'm far more blessed than cursed. So I don't want to embarrass myself by reacting the way my gut will urge if I miss it due to clouds.
  • FrenchStar, winstar and dghundt like this

#14 FrenchStar

FrenchStar

    Messenger

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 467
  • Joined: 23 Jul 2010
  • Loc: St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

I'm booked near Alliance, and have friends coming along. Kind of wish I had planned on doing this solo, so I could change plans at the whim of weather. I may stick with Alliance and hope for a break in the clouds. frown.gif

You drive a few hundred miles West and I think you are in the clear... That is what I think I will do. I will be in Lincoln Sunday morning.


  • winstar likes this

#15 winstar

winstar

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 51
  • Joined: 23 Jul 2016
  • Loc: Tyler, Texas

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

 

I'm booked near Alliance, and have friends coming along. Kind of wish I had planned on doing this solo, so I could change plans at the whim of weather. I may stick with Alliance and hope for a break in the clouds. frown.gif

You drive a few hundred miles West and I think you are in the clear... That is what I think I will do. I will be in Lincoln Sunday morning.

 

 

I'll see if I can convince my friend to go along with it, although I have my own rental car. Just wanted to include him and his son if they're willing to suffer the traffic. I'll be landing in Denver this evening and driving up from Fort Collins. Guess I'll scout out a Plan B spot on HipCamp.



#16 txmnjim

txmnjim

    Viking 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 725
  • Joined: 31 Mar 2009
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

i was trying to break my SE Nebraska plans and head to Douglas, Wy

but its too late for camping reservations pretty much every place i've looked :(

i guess i will be in limbo like everyone else...



#17 caveman_astronomer

caveman_astronomer

    Gemini

  • -----
  • Posts: 3,018
  • Joined: 18 Mar 2016

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

i was trying to break my SE Nebraska plans and head to Douglas, Wy

but its too late for camping reservations pretty much every place i've looked frown.gif

i guess i will be in limbo like everyone else...

Apocryphal story about Shackleton:

 

http://www.smithsoni...ourney-5552379/

 

There is no mention of hotel or camping accommodations.

 

Do you want to see the total solar eclipse or not?


  • txmnjim and FrenchStar like this

#18 txmnjim

txmnjim

    Viking 1

  • *****
  • Posts: 725
  • Joined: 31 Mar 2009
  • Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

 

i was trying to break my SE Nebraska plans and head to Douglas, Wy

but its too late for camping reservations pretty much every place i've looked frown.gif

i guess i will be in limbo like everyone else...

Apocryphal story about Shackleton:

 

http://www.smithsoni...ourney-5552379/

 

There is no mention of hotel or camping accommodations.

 

Do you want to see the total solar eclipse or not?

 

well if we lived in a semi-free country that existed back in those days i would just head out.

last time i did that and tried to sleep on the side of the road in a back road in Wisconsin i

had a trooper rap on my window and told me to "move along" :(


  • caveman_astronomer and AUricle like this

#19 caveman_astronomer

caveman_astronomer

    Gemini

  • -----
  • Posts: 3,018
  • Joined: 18 Mar 2016

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

 

 

i was trying to break my SE Nebraska plans and head to Douglas, Wy

but its too late for camping reservations pretty much every place i've looked frown.gif

i guess i will be in limbo like everyone else...

Apocryphal story about Shackleton:

 

http://www.smithsoni...ourney-5552379/

 

There is no mention of hotel or camping accommodations.

 

Do you want to see the total solar eclipse or not?

 

well if we lived in a semi-free country that existed back in those days i would just head out.

last time i did that and tried to sleep on the side of the road in a back road in Wisconsin i

had a trooper rap on my window and told me to "move along" frown.gif

 

Well, there is that.

 

And yet, we are told not to drive drowsy.


  • txmnjim likes this

#20 schu

schu

    Ranger 4

  • -----
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 24 Apr 2017
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

I live in Lincoln and Plan A has always been a relative's farm near Beatrice.  Plan B is to drive up to Valentine, stay with relatives, and head down to Stapleton very early Monday.  Plan C is Alliance or somewhere in Wyoming - but we would be sleeping in the car somewhere and dealing with a lot of traffic and mess.  

 

If the forecast remains "partly cloudy" across most of Nebraska and the path to the southeast as well, I may be forced to just stick with Beatrice and pray for the best.

 

There are work obligations on Sunday that I cannot get out of, so any travel will have to be post-4pm on Sunday.  For something that has been on my calendar for a decade, nothing seems to be working in my favor.

 

Hoping for the best for everyone!



#21 FrenchStar

FrenchStar

    Messenger

  • *****
  • topic starter
  • Posts: 467
  • Joined: 23 Jul 2010
  • Loc: St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

 

i was trying to break my SE Nebraska plans and head to Douglas, Wy

but its too late for camping reservations pretty much every place i've looked frown.gif

i guess i will be in limbo like everyone else...

Apocryphal story about Shackleton:

 

http://www.smithsoni...ourney-5552379/

 

There is no mention of hotel or camping accommodations.

 

Do you want to see the total solar eclipse or not?

 

THAT is the spirit! Plenty of time to sleep after the eclipse... :-) 


  • txmnjim likes this

#22 warrentug

warrentug

    Explorer 1

  • -----
  • Posts: 87
  • Joined: 10 Apr 2017
  • Loc: Bend, Oregon, USA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

When I use to travel back to Green Bay to see the children I could leave Central Oregon  on a Saturday morning, pull over at a motel that night in Montana and be in Green Bay by Sunday night.   My point is there is plenty of time to bug out and head for clear skies if you leave today.



#23 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

    Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

  • *****
  • Vendors
  • Posts: 2,234
  • Joined: 13 Oct 2008
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

Things are looking pretty marginal here in Grand Island/Kearney, NE area.  Arrived last night to mostly clear but very hazy skies.  Planetary observing was awful, but the dark skies were pretty great for everything else.  The forecast on Monday is still hanging at partly cloudy, although Tuesday is predicted clear.  If it would just shift up a day!  Clear sky chart is not looking good for Sunday evening.  I'm going to make another post specific to the topic, but anyone in the area who'd like to get together, let me know.

 

Beo


  • FrenchStar likes this

#24 Drew57

Drew57

    Mariner 2

  • -----
  • Posts: 274
  • Joined: 24 Jul 2015
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

My friend and I are driving to Liberty, MO...but we're considering heading into S.E. Nebraska or wherever radar looks better than predicted near Kansas City on Monday. Worry is of course many others with same idea. I don't want to be stuck on a road somewhere in traffic vs possible clouds but relaxed setting at base camp.



#25 schu

schu

    Ranger 4

  • -----
  • Posts: 321
  • Joined: 24 Apr 2017
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

Looking like we'll be winging it and driving to Casper, WY.  Forecast is the same or worse than previous forecasts now for SE (and much of the rest of) Nebraska.

 

20 hours of driving, little sleep, and zero plan for where to park.  This will be an adventure.




CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.


Recent Topics






Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics