•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it still too early to be anxious? (Nebraska)

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#26 Sioux34

Sioux34

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cedar Rapids, IA

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

We are set up in Lewis and Clark state park, just south of st Joe MO. Anyone near by have a 40mm eyepiece I could borrow? With my 8i, full app solar filter and 25 mm eyepiece, I can just get the entire solar disk in view. No corona will be visible. That is why you don't try your new solar filter two days before the eclipse.

#27 skoro

skoro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

I'm in Kearney, NE right now and the forecast looks decent for Monday. Mostly sunny with a 20% chance of scattered late afternoon thunderstorms. That would be a couple of hours past totality. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• txmnjim likes this

#28 schu

schu

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:08 AM

Lincoln NE is getting absolutely hammered by severe weather right now & it looks like it will continue until 4am or so.  Perhaps some of these storm systems will shake up the unfavorable forecasts a bit.

#29 demare

demare

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in Middle America ...

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

I just woke up and took a very good look at the commercial weather forecasts as well as the two cloud cover models, and unfortunately it looks incredibly sucky for most of Nebraska!

We're still 30-some hours out, but it's not looking good. There appears to be maybe a band of clearing kind of arcing through the Nebraska totality path, kinda north of North Platte, but as of now it looks like the best for mostly clear skies will be northwest of Scottsbluff into Wyoming.

Soooooooo ... (this is the once in a lifetime thing) I'm planning to get up very early tomorrow morning (my work schedule is usually early morning to mid afternoon) and head west, hopefully beating the alleged traffic of the Teeming Millions clogging up route 80. Then head in the general northwest direction and look for clear(ing) skies.

That's the plan as of this day, hour, minute, and second.

#30 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:06 AM

Yeah the play seems to be to get as far west as possible in NE. The question is traffic. Normally I'd say it wouldn't be as bad as the coasts but who knows?

#31 schu

schu

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Unfortunately I have to work until 4pm or so - will be driving overnight, avoiding the major interstates as much as possible.

#32 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

We're in Beatrice NE. Which has better prospects? Drive in MO and continuing to get as close to Hopskinville or Nashville or is it better to head west as close to Casper as possible? We need to check out by 11am CDT.

Anyone experienced in making such calls?

Also, is ot a potemtially tragic mistake to even leave? I would want to be sure wherever we go or get stuck will have as good as if not better prospects than where we are leaving.

#33 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

My plan is to stick to roads in the path. If you get stuck you have a spot to watch.

The forecast is patchy across a huge swath. I'm not sure we'll ever be to a point where we can know it will be clear.

#34 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

I definately don't plan to leave the path if at all possible. Just trying to guess at traffic and on whether going east or west makes best sense. I grabbed a map or WY and MO from AAA. Didn't think at the time I'd consider Nashville but there forecast seems the best unless you get way back in WY and I'm thinking about it.

#35 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

https://www.wundergr...CityName=Glendo

https://www.wundergr...ityName=Paducah

8f I read this correctly, you have to make it into WY before it significantly drops off. Not much benefit in being in NE panhandle?
  • txmnjim likes this

#36 txmnjim

txmnjim

Viking 1

• Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

We're in Beatrice NE. Which has better prospects? Drive in MO and continuing to get as close to Hopskinville or Nashville or is it better to head west as close to Casper as possible? We need to check out by 11am CDT.

Anyone experienced in making such calls?

Also, is ot a potemtially tragic mistake to even leave? I would want to be sure wherever we go or get stuck will have as good as if not better prospects than where we are leaving.

i'd head toward Casper. Douglas, Wy still looking great!

#37 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

So it's beautiful in Kearney, NE right now (just got here changing hotels from Grand Island), but weather.com is still forecasting mostly cloudy all day tomorrow.  Of course they didn't forecast clear for today until someone got up this morning and said, "Hey, it's clear outside!"  I get the feeling that this event, if nothing else, is likely to raise something of an outcry against the pathetic forecasting capabilities of the various weather services and the completely misleading attempts at a long term forecast.  What's the point?!!  At any rate, my best hope at the moment is the Canadian forecast, which from Cleardarksky looks pretty decent until past totality.  Lousy seeing, but otherwise pretty clear.  http://www.cleardark...SRANEkey.html?1

Beo 

Edited by Lord Beowulf, 20 August 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#38 schu

schu

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

The ClearSky forecast has been pretty clear so far and has me second-guessing driving all the way to Casper.  I have about an hour left to decide what to do for sure.  Ugh.

#39 demare

demare

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

8f I read this correctly, you have to make it into WY before it significantly drops off. Not much benefit in being in NE panhandle?

I am not a meteorologist (IANAM?) but I've been following the cloud coverage maps all day.

It seems to have improved over the past 12-16 hours somewhat, but there appears to be only a small corner of Nebraska's totality that MAY be reasonably clear. (Fortunately, it looks like Carhenge may luck out.)

I'm planning to leave as early in the morning as I can get ready, set the GPS for Casper, and drive to maybe Scottsbluff or so and wing it from there.

#40 Sioux34

Sioux34

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

I have decided to take what I can get here in st Joe. I did a test today and got some decent shots of the sunspots

#41 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

We are still heading to Carhenge as we are meeting up with our group there that is coming down from Rapid City. We are sticking to the plan but might scoot west to Harrison or Douglas early tomorrow morning. Google maps show congestion around Carhenge as of right now and we are now heading there traveling east leaving this clear Wyoming weather behind. Logistics prevented a change in our location as in involves my adult children, my wife, and our two year old granddaughter so we are still hoping for the best. 

For the next one in 2024 (if I'm not dead yet) I'm going solo and only have to travel to the back roads of northern Ohio or Indiana, although in April it is the land of clouds, rain, and or snow.

#42 demare

demare

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

I just pulled up the latest (1800z) Tropical Tidbits cloud prediction and it shows Alliance/Carhenge to be right on the edge of what appears to be clearing. Good luck to you. I'll probably be just south and somewhat west of there.

#43 Sioux34

Sioux34

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

Three or four big rvs pulled out of the campground at dusk tonight. I assume they are chasing clear skies.

#44 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

I just saw blue sky for a minute. Updated forecast calls for sunny skies at 11am and partly cloudy after noon. It is foggy right now but supposed to burn off by 9am or so. We are staying put, but some folks are pulling out and heading west towards Wyoming. Carhenge was supposed to be free, but it was closed up last night when we got here and the fields around it were offered for camping for $50. I guess we could stay here tonight, too, but we are heading back east after the eclipse. It was clear last night and I was going to set up a scope, but the sky was totally washed out in the south towards Alliance as there is a huge railroad yard that we passed coming into town that was lit up with a ton of orange sodium vapor lights. I've never seen so many folks worrying about the weather, they are all glued to their phones and IPads. 

#45 skoro

skoro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:06 AM

Here in Kearney we have scattered high thin cirrus clouds. Shouldn't interfere much as long as it doesn't thicken up.

#46 Sioux34

Sioux34

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

Pretty well socked in with clouds here south of st Joe.

#47 txmnjim

txmnjim

Viking 1

• Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Amazing how it worked out in Pawnee City--clouds and scattered showers all morning and afternoon but miraculously opened up when it counted! Most awesome 3 minutes of my life!!
  • warrentug likes this

#48 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Ravenna was great. Folks in grand island and Hastings said they had a good view as well.

#49 Tech Hiker

Tech Hiker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus Nebraska USA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

Was at Fairmont.  Lots of clouds for the early partials and late partials.  But the main show was blue skies!  Excellent!

#50 winstar

winstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tyler, Texas

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

We were lucky in Alliance too. Spoke to a very nice astronomer from MI who helped me decide to stay, and I'm thankful that I did.
  • JimMo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics