•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it still too early to be anxious? (Nebraska)

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 Yun-Oh

Yun-Oh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Gibsonia, PA (Greater Pittsburgh)

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

We were lucky in Alliance too. Spoke to a very nice astronomer from MI who helped me decide to stay, and I'm thankful that I did.

It was a nailbiter, wasn't it? I drove from Omaha to Alliance (Carhenge) last night after finding the forecast for E NE not so promising. Arrived at Alliance around 9am, and the sky was clear. But, around 10:30am, clouds started to roll in and I almost hopped in the car to stay ahead of the clouds. Decided to test my luck when I saw the clouds from a distance having huge breaks. We stayed put and ended up not missing anything. The totality was just stunning. 14-hour drive back and forth to Alliance was well worth it. Flying back tomorrow with a bunch of pictures and most of all, the memory of lifetime.

I am glad I chose NE for my total eclipse experience. Facilities were well set up, met many wonderful people and the traffic wasn't bad at all. Thank you, Nebraska!

Edited by Yun-Oh, 22 August 2017 - 02:58 AM.

• JimMo and caheaton like this

#52 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----
  • Loc: Under a huge light dome

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

We were lucky in Alliance too. Spoke to a very nice astronomer from MI who helped me decide to stay, and I'm thankful that I did.

We arrived at Carhenge last night and we had a spectacular time. Had Pink Floyd's Eclipse from DSOTM cued up for totality. Weather Underground was checked at about 6am and was right on the money. The seen around Carhenge reminded me of the movie Contact with all of the crazies came out of the woodwork. My wife even met the guy who built Carhenge.

• Dave Mitsky and winstar like this

#53 sparkyht

sparkyht

Messenger

• Loc: The Badger State

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

I was supposed to go to Alliance with my family, but wound up going out to Glendo, WY instead. I'm in Rapid City with my family on vacation and had a spot reserved at the Rodeo Fairgrounds just south of town. I was planning on driving down very early in the AM to beat possible traffic jams. I have to admit, the forecasts for clouds were freaking me out. This was my first eclipse for myself, my wife, and my 10 year-old son, and I wanted near certainty that we were not going to miss it! When I got up at 2AM Monday and saw the satellite imagery, I made a snap decision to drive the extra 45 min to Glendo from Rapid City just in case. The drive down and into the Thomas Memorial Airport site was as smooth as silk. Lots and lots of friendly people from every state, great food, and vendors selling some neat commemorative items. The weather was absolutely perfect, albeit a little windy at first. WHAT A SHOW! I had such an adrenaline rush, I was nearly shaking! The entire crowd had a bit of a scare as 2 hot air balloons started floating right in the path of the eclipsing sun, but they moved out of the way just in time. My camera equipment was automatically clicking away (thanks Eclipse Orchestrator!) while my family and I stood in awe of the spectacle before us. Got some great pictures and made a lifetime memory that is still playing out in my head as I type this.

My only regret is not sticking it out with Alliance. We would've gotten in and out with little trouble. Instead, the drive out of Glendo was absolutely horrific. No law enforcement presence beyond the airport gate on WY319 to control traffic created the perfect storm. Many left the site immediately after totality ended, we stuck around until well after 4th contact just to let things settle down. WY319 is the only road into town and the airport, there were no E-W corridors to escape through. A BNSF railroad parallels it immediately to the west, followed by I25 after that. The only access to I25 is from US18 to the north, and from town to the south. To the east, is a state park and a large lake. The traffic appeared to be moving northbound on 319, so we left the airport several hours after 4th contact. After a couple miles, we hit the worst deadlock I've ever seen. It took nearly 3 hours to drive 10 miles! Move the car 1/8th mile, shut off the engine, sit and wait 15 minutes, do it again. When we finally got to US18, we found that there were no troopers running traffic control. It was a free-for-all. Thank heavens it was not hot as blazes out there and tempers didn't go out of control. We all just rolled with it. Once we got to US18, it was 70+ mph all the way back to Rapid City. Long drive, but the experience was so worth it.

Edited by sparkyht, 22 August 2017 - 09:04 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, JimMo and comprapescado like this

#54 mcroghan

mcroghan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

I had a hotel in Kearney but drove westbound through the night because of the forecasts. Wound up just north of you in Douglas, WY. Had an awesome viewing. The same traffic experience, 3 hours on I-25 alone, took Highway 26 back into Nebraska. Even on the back roads it was packed. 

Great to hear the weather turned out favorably for everyone.

• comprapescado likes this

#55 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

This was my favorite of 3 total eclipses.  I was in Pawnee City, NE with about 400 people in their bus group viewing area.  We toughed it out through 3 short rain bursts and clouds.  We didn't see 1st contact.  As the eclipse deepened, the skies became more cooperative.  The breaks became bigger and more frequent.  By the time totality was nearing, we had only a thin layer of haze that I think added to the visual impact.  We saw only Venus and Procyon in the darkened sky.  The chromosphere and naked-eye prominences were more beautiful than the diamond rings, IMO (and they were great).  The corona had a very interesting, assymetrical shape.  ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.

• txmnjim and comprapescado like this

#56 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

It was very hot but otherwise the conditions were superb in Clarksville, Tennessee.

Seeing solar prominences without using a hydrogen alpha telescope (once again) and witnessing an incredible display of the Sun's corona through my 101mm Tele Vue refractor were my favorite aspects of the eclipse.  I also got a few fairly good photographs during totality with a hand-held Canon PowerShot SX720 HS camera, including a shot of the second diamond ring.

Dave Mitsky

#57 demare

demare

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in Middle America ...

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

Ravenna was great. Folks in grand island and Hastings said they had a good view as well.

That was one place I was considering, but when I drove by the area (early morning) it was still looking overcast.

I ended up shooting just outside of Morrill, NE, which was very clear and I was running out of time.

Overall, the partial shots came out quite well. Of course I had practice and had the exposure and technique down.

I did get a couple of somewhat decent diamond ring ones. These tended to be overexposed with a lot of flare. I may be able to edit these to get more attractive images. I was disappointed at the Bail(e)y Bead shots, no really decent ones. :(

Here are a few preliminary edits. Complete preliminary series here: http://www.demare.me.../tag/38/Eclipse

de02-01.jpg

de07.jpg

de11.jpg

• skoro and comprapescado like this

#58 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

The event at Cedar Hills Winery outside Ravenna went great as well.  We had lots of people there.  A hundred of them looked through our scopes and captured pictures with their cell phones, etc.  Great time was had by all, and the pig roast afterwards was awesome!

Attached File  Capture.JPG   38.05KB   1 downloads

Beo

• JimMo, skoro and comprapescado like this

#59 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Is it too early to be anxious for 2024?
To shuffle off to Buffalo?

#60 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

Is it too early to be anxious for 2024?
To shuffle off to Buffalo?

The 7 year forecast has clouds that day for buffalo.
  • JimMo, PXR-5, caveman_astronomer and 1 other like this

#61 Greg K.

Greg K.

CN tech guy

• Administrators
  • Loc: NY

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

I was in Omaha visiting my daughter, we were planning to head to St. Joseph, Mo or Grand Island, but we ended up deciding to drive out to Scottsbluff and then went north to near the centerline. Lots of people parked along the road on Rt. 29 but traffic wasn't too bad at all, and the sky completely clear. We drove to Carhenge afterwards and I picked up a souvenir.

awesome time and well worth the 7 hour drive from Omaha and back.

Attached File  IMG_3018.JPG   210.61KB   1 downloads

Attached Files

#62 mcroghan

mcroghan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

Back home in Houston now. Attempting to explain to my wife what it was like in person, but I don't have the right words yet. When the couple next to me broke down and wept - that got her attention.

When the next one in 2024 passes over Texas I'll definitely be thinking about the traffic. Wasn't prepared for that.

#63 mcroghan

mcroghan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Casper Star Tribune - 

http://trib.com/news...b4d2e5395e.html

#64 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

The 2024 eclipse is only 75 or so miles away from my home. Unfortunately April skies around here can be mostly bad to worse, but who knows? Lots of back roads in Ohio and Indiana to find a good spot.  

#65 Yun-Oh

Yun-Oh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Gibsonia, PA (Greater Pittsburgh)

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

The traffic in NE near Alliance was not bad at all. I thought Carhenge would be packed, but lots of spaces to spare. Enough toilets and trash bins. Consodering all the doomsday scenarios, I guess they were just for OR and WY. It was tiring with all the driving from Omaha, but in general, a very pleasant experience. Now getting ready to fly out of Omaha aitport, and I am taking precious memories of the eclipse and also the great State of Nebraska with me. Love you, Nebraska!
  • bunyon and comprapescado like this

#66 mcroghan

mcroghan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

Loved Nebraska also, and Wyoming. Back roads took me through Ft. Laramie and Register Rock (near Guernsey?) - some Oregon Trail history. Really interesting. Have always read about that area, never had a chance to visit.

Also ate a Runza for the first time in Nebraska. Some call it a Bierock. I'm hooked!
  • txmnjim likes this

#67 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

I knew the night before in Scottsbluff that this would be a nailbiter.  When we got up it would be cloudy but it was supposed to clear by eclipse time.

When I got up you could not see across the parking lot.  I loaded the gear in the car, made ready to bug out for Wyoming.  At 9am (after one false clear) it was obvious it would be OK.  It was more than that, it was great.  Better than they had been predicting for two weeks.

Images here, and a question.

https://www.cloudyni...tion/?p=8062574

Edited by bobzeq25, 22 August 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#68 skoro

skoro

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

We ended up in a nice quiet location about 40 miles NW of Kearney and enjoyed clear skies on a nice late summer day.

#69 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Apollo

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

We ended up in a nice quiet location about 40 miles NW of Kearney and enjoyed clear skies on a nice late summer day.

skoro, you must have been quite near us, we were in Miller, NE, northwest of Kearney.  We had a few clouds around the horizon but beautiful, deep blue skies overhead for the entire eclipse.

Clear skies and clean glass

Mike

#70 FrenchStar

FrenchStar

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: St-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

Here is my answer to my own question... 

I finally decided to opt for peace of mind. The weather was driving me nuts in Nebraska.

Finally, we decided to skip Nebraska and drive right to Glendo, Wyoming. Best decision ever! We had no worries about the weather and we enjoyed the most spectacular sight you can see. Close to 1200 miles in 2 days by car. Traffic was brutal the first 3 hours during our return trip to Omaha but I would not change one thing. It was the right thing to do.

• sparkyht and comprapescado like this

#71 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• -----

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

Well, for all the angst we went through it turned out pretty nice in Alliance. Around Carhenge it was a little crowded, but where we we set up next door in a farmer's field we had lots of space.

Attached Files

• Greg K., skoro, FrenchStar and 1 other like this

#72 comprapescado

comprapescado

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DFW

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

We're in Beatrice NE. Which has better prospects? Drive in MO and continuing to get as close to Hopskinville or Nashville or is it better to head west as close to Casper as possible? We need to check out by 11am CDT.

Anyone experienced in making such calls?

Also, is ot a potemtially tragic mistake to even leave? I would want to be sure wherever we go or get stuck will have as good as if not better prospects than where we are leaving.

i'd head toward Casper. Douglas, Wy still looking great!

Thanks for the advice, everyone who said they were heading west. I had not originally known if I would be able to take this trip as I didn't know if my mom would be able to make it and I wasn't going to leave her alone. Part of my selling point (and I had thought of this at least last year) is we could go to NE and then to SD where her niece lives who she hasn't seen in 6 yrs. They are practically sisters.

Initially, when I read the forecast late Fri or early Sat and we were still packing (with only a room in Beatrice Sat), I mentioned going to Nashville, both Beatrice and Nashville being about 9-10 hrs from DFW, and Beatrice to Nashville also being about the same, but Nashville to Madison, SD being far more than from Beatrice or from Wyoming.

Went ahead with plan, leaving later than I had hoped, met a woman from Houston and her father from Dallas going to York, NE at the Oklahoma visitor information center just north of the Red River (They had purple Eclipse T-shirts on) and my mom met a man going to KC who didn't know what he was going to do after that.

Went smoothly through OK and KS up to Newton and then getting onto country roads (and it was late because we had to stop several times), going by KS-15 which went most of the way to Beatrice, (but not in a single chunk. It wasn't continuous.) it was a lot of driving on dark, two-lane, undivided roads. Got to Beatrice at midnight.

After posting here, to see what others were doing, headed to Lincoln and then west on I-80 to Scottsbluff and considered staying there but my phone (which would die in Scottsbluff before we left, with my mom's going low too) showed on Weather Underground a forecast that clouds would clear out of Eastern Wyoming faster than the Nebraska Panhandle. I thought Scottsbluff would be OK but wanted to be as close to 100% positive as possible.

At the travel information center in York, a man was telling the attendant he was headed to Casper bacuse of the weather and a woman said the same and she said she thought that is what most people are doing. Passed a car a couple of times with "Eclipse Glasses $6" written on it.

It was hard finding US-26 out of Scottsbluff. Finally I asked someone and she told me how to get there and it is near Walmart. I met a woman from WY in the WM parking lot there (she was talking to a couple nearby) who had picked out the perfect spot and was planning to get there by ATV and had the GPS coordinates (My phone was dead by then) and she thought it would be OK in Scottsbluff but since my phone was dead and I had no GPS, I wasn't talking chances. She thought Casper would be a zoo. this, however, didn't bother me. I wanted a decent crowd nearby.

We took US 26 toward I-25 and unfortunately missed the turn in Lingle and got on 85 north a good distance (It didn't seem right to me but there were no signs and few landmarks.). Finally, finding an 85 sign, turned around and eventually got on 26 again and got to Dwyer Junction rest Area, intending to get up early to make it to Casper.

This was a tent city. Hundreds of it not a thousand cars there, people pitching tents and a few in sleeping bags directly on the ground. I've never seen this before. We got up in time to beat the crowd to the bathroom (line grew very quickly after that) and I heard from some people who said 25 was like a parking lot. They had left and turned around to stay there. I was told by someone else this area had just under 2 mins totality, so I figured we would try for Glendo right on the line.

Took a few sunrise pics and video with my mom's phone that was now down to ~12%.

Someone else pointed out 25 (visible from the Rest Area) and it was one fifth of the traffic it had been when she was on it at 2am and she thought we could make it to Glendo, so we set out. Got back on 25, clear for a while then maybe a mile from the Glendo exit, right lane backed up. Finally gave up on it and got into left lane with intent to go up past Glendo an exit and turn around, but when we got to ORin Junction Rest Area, about 6 miles up, stopped there. Nice crowd, a bit smaller. Some continued up the road and there was a ridge just beyond the rest area with poeple there too.

I tried to find the length of the totality (hoping someone would know exactly. Got some clearly wrong answers, like 2:40). Finally found some astronomers, one who invited me to look at the sun, pointed out two groups of sunspots (I saw three in the center and two on lower left, but I think he told someone else there were four in the center.) There was another man there with him who had a Alliance shirt on and he made the last minute decision to leave too.

They were projecting the eclipse using a pegboard and also he had a clever idea, poking holes to spell out "2017" for a projecting. A family nearby used Ritz crackers to do the same.

Also, after watching the Alaska Airlines eclipse video, I was thinking the umbra was supposed to come from the direction of the sun, but he pointed out it would be coming from the west and if I got up to a high ridge, we could see a sunset for 360°, so I got my mom, hesitantly, because she is on a walker, to the top of this ridge to see the mountains in the west disappear in darkness, watch totality, and see the 360° sunset.

There was also a young guy from MO whose parents live in CO who was talking to people, taking photos and took our pics for his website and looked through our welding glass.

• txmnjim likes this

#73 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vendor - Orion Ranch Observatory

• Vendors
  • Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

I have my pics from the winery near Ravenna posted, including the time lapse video of the eclipse and our setup, and a drone flyover and panorama.  I still want to edit the exposure levels of each frame of the time lapse (ugh) to give an idea of the actual variation in brightness.  No monitor can represent the change from full sun to totality, so I'll have to scale the exposure range down to about a quarter of the actual variation.

4277.jpg

Beo

#74 txmnjim

txmnjim

Viking 1

• Loc: Rochester, MN

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

We're in Beatrice NE. Which has better prospects? Drive in MO and continuing to get as close to Hopskinville or Nashville or is it better to head west as close to Casper as possible? We need to check out by 11am CDT.

Anyone experienced in making such calls?

Also, is ot a potemtially tragic mistake to even leave? I would want to be sure wherever we go or get stuck will have as good as if not better prospects than where we are leaving.

i'd head toward Casper. Douglas, Wy still looking great!

Thanks for the advice, everyone who said they were heading west. I had not originally known if I would be able to take this trip as I didn't know if my mom would be able to make it and I wasn't going to leave her alone. Part of my selling point (and I had thought of this at least last year) is we could go to NE and then to SD where her niece lives who she hasn't seen in 6 yrs. They are practically sisters.

Initially, when I read the forecast late Fri or early Sat and we were still packing (with only a room in Beatrice Sat), I mentioned going to Nashville, both Beatrice and Nashville being about 9-10 hrs from DFW, and Beatrice to Nashville also being about the same, but Nashville to Madison, SD being far more than from Beatrice or from Wyoming.

Went ahead with plan, leaving later than I had hoped, met a woman from Houston and her father from Dallas going to York, NE at the Oklahoma visitor information center just north of the Red River (They had purple Eclipse T-shirts on) and my mom met a man going to KC who didn't know what he was going to do after that.

Went smoothly through OK and KS up to Newton and then getting onto country roads (and it was late because we had to stop several times), going by KS-15 which went most of the way to Beatrice, (but not in a single chunk. It wasn't continuous.) it was a lot of driving on dark, two-lane, undivided roads. Got to Beatrice at midnight.

After posting here, to see what others were doing, headed to Lincoln and then west on I-80 to Scottsbluff and considered staying there but my phone (which would die in Scottsbluff before we left, with my mom's going low too) showed on Weather Underground a forecast that clouds would clear out of Eastern Wyoming faster than the Nebraska Panhandle. I thought Scottsbluff would be OK but wanted to be as close to 100% positive as possible.

At the travel information center in York, a man was telling the attendant he was headed to Casper bacuse of the weather and a woman said the same and she said she thought that is what most people are doing. Passed a car a couple of times with "Eclipse Glasses $6" written on it.

It was hard finding US-26 out of Scottsbluff. Finally I asked someone and she told me how to get there and it is near Walmart. I met a woman from WY in the WM parking lot there (she was talking to a couple nearby) who had picked out the perfect spot and was planning to get there by ATV and had the GPS coordinates (My phone was dead by then) and she thought it would be OK in Scottsbluff but since my phone was dead and I had no GPS, I wasn't talking chances. She thought Casper would be a zoo. this, however, didn't bother me. I wanted a decent crowd nearby.

We took US 26 toward I-25 and unfortunately missed the turn in Lingle and got on 85 north a good distance (It didn't seem right to me but there were no signs and few landmarks.). Finally, finding an 85 sign, turned around and eventually got on 26 again and got to Dwyer Junction rest Area, intending to get up early to make it to Casper.

This was a tent city. Hundreds of it not a thousand cars there, people pitching tents and a few in sleeping bags directly on the ground. I've never seen this before. We got up in time to beat the crowd to the bathroom (line grew very quickly after that) and I heard from some people who said 25 was like a parking lot. They had left and turned around to stay there. I was told by someone else this area had just under 2 mins totality, so I figured we would try for Glendo right on the line.

Took a few sunrise pics and video with my mom's phone that was now down to ~12%.

Someone else pointed out 25 (visible from the Rest Area) and it was one fifth of the traffic it had been when she was on it at 2am and she thought we could make it to Glendo, so we set out. Got back on 25, clear for a while then maybe a mile from the Glendo exit, right lane backed up. Finally gave up on it and got into left lane with intent to go up past Glendo an exit and turn around, but when we got to ORin Junction Rest Area, about 6 miles up, stopped there. Nice crowd, a bit smaller. Some continued up the road and there was a ridge just beyond the rest area with poeple there too.

I tried to find the length of the totality (hoping someone would know exactly. Got some clearly wrong answers, like 2:40). Finally found some astronomers, one who invited me to look at the sun, pointed out two groups of sunspots (I saw three in the center and two on lower left, but I think he told someone else there were four in the center.) There was another man there with him who had a Alliance shirt on and he made the last minute decision to leave too.

They were projecting the eclipse using a pegboard and also he had a clever idea, poking holes to spell out "2017" for a projecting. A family nearby used Ritz crackers to do the same.

Also, after watching the Alaska Airlines eclipse video, I was thinking the umbra was supposed to come from the direction of the sun, but he pointed out it would be coming from the west and if I got up to a high ridge, we could see a sunset for 360°, so I got my mom, hesitantly, because she is on a walker, to the top of this ridge to see the mountains in the west disappear in darkness, watch totality, and see the 360° sunset.

There was also a young guy from MO whose parents live in CO who was talking to people, taking photos and took our pics for his website and looked through our welding glass.

that's great! sounds like you had a heck of an adventure. glad to say it worked out well for us also. one of those

semi-miraculous occurrences where it was cloudy and rained off and on (in Pawnee City, NE) and looked pretty

discouraging up until a few minutes before totality when the clouds parted and we saw it in all its glory. i will never

forget it for sure! 

• kfiscus and comprapescado like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics