•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wow!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 woolbrig

woolbrig

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bethalto, Illinois

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

High clouds cleared, perfect conditions for totality.  All I can say was WOW!!! It was incredible.  Sequence still running to capture partial, so hopefully got some good images.

How did it go for everyone else?

• paul hart, REC and Rooftop-Astro like this

#2 backwoody

backwoody

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho USA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

On site in Stanley, Idaho, the eclipse was off the chart.  We got 2'14" of totality; I knew it would be beautiful, but not THAT beautiful.  Clear skies with only a wisp of smoke, darkness descended quickly to a sky of navy blue, the corona exploded at the moment of totality.  Baily's beads were visible for most of totality in sparkling magenta on the lunar limbs.  It brought tears to my eyes through 12x binoculars.

For us in the mountains of Idaho, it was probably the most beautiful sight in Nature we had ever seen.  Hope it was the same for all of you...

• paul hart, REC, entilza and 1 other like this

#3 ftwskies

ftwskies

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Under Fort Worth skies...

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

Columbia, MO retained a high cirrus throughout but it didn't obscure the view. Amazing. I can see how eclipses could become a passion for some folks. During totality we got clear views of corona and even some prominences through my little 60mm RFT at 10x (with Baader film and a color filter. I caught a few snaps with my phone and a coolpix but they don't really do it justice. Very satisfying experience.
  • paul hart and gmrv4 like this

#4 gralydolphin

gralydolphin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

Here in Windsor Ontario we had only a partial about 80 per cent and it looked great through my Coronado solar scope. But even more interesting was the slight changes in the surroundings around me.  The breeze got cooler and the sky just a pinch duller. At anywhere near as nice as totality but good just the same.

• entilza likes this

#5 paul hart

paul hart

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 50 M East of NYC

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

Torrington Wyoming perfect conditions. Clear sky no smoke. 2min 10 seconds. Caught prominence in 15x70's binos. Temp dropped 10 degrees and wind died down
  • gralydolphin likes this

#6 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Aurora

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio 41.11N --Bloomdale

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

In Lebanon, Tennessee, east of Nashville we unfortunately were in and out of thick clouds during totality although clouds covered less than 20 percent of the sky.

Still, it was glorious. It was cool to see an orange "sunset" on the horizon in every direction. The very thin crescent before and after totality was visible naked eye most of the time due to clouds.

#7 orionic

orionic

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

We had great luck in Boulder, CO for our 94%(? can't remember exactly) partial eclipse ... clear skies all morning, clouds started to appear during the spectacle but stayed clear of the action...and moved over the sun as soon as the event was over!

#8 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

Dayton, TN was clear and WHAT a show!  Saw everything I could think to look for: diamond, beads, a glorious HUGE prominence, amazing corona and the undulating dark and light ripples just before and after.  Definitely the best moment in my 40 years of observing.

• paul hart, Bowmoreman, R Botero and 3 others like this

#9 Jeff Gardner

Jeff Gardner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

Murphy NC, perfect conditions for the entire Eclipse. Hotter than h*ll, my first total, well worth the drive. I'm roasted, feel like a lobster. 

• paul hart, Cpk133 and gralydolphin like this

#10 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

I don't have words.
  • mgwhittle, Cpk133 and selectedpixels like this

#11 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

WOW, is a pretty good word, perfect in Lugoff SC :)
  • randalloverby likes this

#12 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:32 PM

Just got back to the hotel from Rexburg ID.  All I can say is WOW.  Glad I made the trip.  waytogo.gif

#13 bobmarleyou812

bobmarleyou812

Viking 1

• Loc: CA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

Staying with friends up and down highway 95 in Idaho. Planned to view from Payette with 1'45" totality, then plans changed and a friend let us stay in an extra cabin in Cambridge with 1'55". Last night he says he has mountain top access in Midvale at the centerline where there is 2'07" of totality. Went this morning and I'm not sure if there could have been a better spot to view the eclipse. Clear blue skies (after a couple of days of clouds). There was a lot of hype about bumper to bumper traffic, gas stations running out of gas, apocalypse etc, bit none of that happened. Just pure enjoyment and excitement. Amazing. Words cannot describe. 

• gralydolphin likes this

#14 Lou Laderman

Lou Laderman

Explorer 1

• Loc: St. Louis, MO

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

Hot and humid in St. Louis, but the clouds gave way to some stunning views. What an experience! My backyard only had 53 seconds of totality, but no traffic and air conditioning relief made it worth it.

Attached File  IMG_5240.JPG   47.31KB   6 downloads

• Dave Mitsky, paul hart, Carol L and 7 others like this

#15 Rooftop-Astro

Rooftop-Astro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

Success in Nashville! Thick cumulus clouds moved in about 20 minutes before totality - just covering the sun at their edge. Five minutes before, a hole opened up and it stayed open until about five minutes after.

• paul hart and Rich_W like this

#16 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

The most awesome thing I've ever seen. And with my youngest son and ten-year-old grandson on the deck. We all agreed. I didn't know it would be THAT good. I've see two near-total, but this was my first 100% total, and right on my own deck. Unbelievable.
  • paul hart and outofsight like this

#17 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

Orangeburg SC, big poofy clouds until about 30 min prior to totality. Perfect for totality! 2min 22 sec of spectacular viewing. Had some 8x35 binos, saw a promenance at about 5:00. No evident shadow bands.
  • RussL likes this

#18 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

My family and I drove all the way from
Orlando to the fine town of Saint Matthews in SC. Forecast and weather on the way up were not great but just before first contact the skies cleared and we enjoyed clear blue during totality and thereafter. :cool: The eclipse itself was incredible! The 2:35 it lasted! We enjoyed the ring of fire, a great prom just before it formed in vivid red and then the most splendid corona with two streamers on the leading side and large one on the following. :waytogo: Venus was brilliant to the West and Regulus was clearly visible during totality.
Traffic was easy on the way up; not so good now driving back but we are so pleased we came! My parents flew in from South America and me and my brothers and our families from England and Italy. Just great!
Roberto

Edited by R Botero, 21 August 2017 - 06:09 PM.

• paul hart and gralydolphin like this

#19 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

We got it in Gallatin, TN. A decent amount of puffy clouds showed up 90 minutes before the eclipse but fortunately stayed away from the sun, only covering it once for 5 minutes something like an hour before totality...

2 minutes and 37 seconds never went by that quick before! Wow, what an experience! Really looking forward to the best pictures and videos to be posted online to relive the experience!
  • mgwhittle and Cpk133 like this

#20 chrysalis

chrysalis

ISS

• Loc: North Central NC

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Flew from NC to OR...no clouds AT ALL in Redmond...1:13 here, just 47 secs less than Madras...but on the back porch with friends in a very loving environment...impressed at the moon's shadow proceeding over the ridges at us, past the Three Sisters...and how it got rapidly darker into a deep twilight...and everyone saying OMG or Oh that's weird, or all sorts of things...mainly people being in we at the spectacle and splendor. Unreal - SURREAL - appearance of the fully eclipsed sun.  Just amazing in every way.

• warrentug likes this

#21 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

I can see why primitive cultures thought it was all over when they saw this - awe inspiring. Perfect conditions in Victor, ID - just visual overload - seemed like two seconds although it was over 2 minutes. The most glorious light exploded from the edge as totality ended - an explosion of the brightest light I have ever seen. The blue sky around explosions of white light and magenta prominences with the deepest black in the center - looked like a hole in the sky. Wicked pissa - as we say in New a England! 

Edited by stevenwav, 21 August 2017 - 07:13 PM.

• Bowmoreman, RussL, cdavid and 1 other like this

#22 Rich_W

Rich_W

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

We were in Harriman, TN, on the campus of Roane State CC.  Great atmosphere, perfect conditions, 2:02 totality. My first eclipse experience, just wonderful, unforgettable.  Shared views through the scope with numerous neighbors and passers by on the field and that was especially nice. What a great, unforgettable day.   ....(and I'm so tired and happy tonight)....

#23 xyxos2000

xyxos2000

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Awesome. SO awesome. Came here all the way from Germany and watched the eclipse under a crystal clear blue Idaho sky north of Weiser. Solar Eclipse Maestro ran flawless, Camera worked perfect. I am so stoked...

eclipse composite

A BIG thank you to CN, you helped a lot in choosing the right place and checking traffic/weather.

• Dave Mitsky, Carol L, BRCoz and 7 others like this

#24 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

Enjoying all these stories!
  • outofsight likes this

#25 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Dayton, TN was clear and WHAT a show!  Saw everything I could think to look for: diamond, beads, a glorious HUGE prominence, amazing corona and the undulating dark and light ripples just before and after.  Definitely the best moment in my 40 years of observing.

Dayton was on my backup list; fortunately, found a great spot in Spring City... unfortunately, the traffic back to Cleveland (hotel) was just that much longer than it would have been in Dayton!  That said, I echo every single thing you just said... the crepuscular shadows under the trees we're surreal, as was the overall *quality* of the light... Given where you were, I presume you also had 100% cloud free day?

The whole experience is just so NOT what we humans are "wired for", that words simply fail.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics