•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wow!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 Tom M

Tom M

Ranger 4

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

This was my first total eclipse and I was in Franklin, KY with clear skies for most of the event. I've been observing for 50+ years and all I can say is that the pictures of the corona do not do justice to what I saw in a pair of Canon 15x45 IS binoculars. This isn't to take away from the fine photography but an admission of what nuances and range the human eye can detect in a single scene. From the blackness of the moon to the colors of the prominences and just how bright the corona actually is as well as all the various densities within it. Most definitely worth the drive down and back.

All I can think of to try to describe the experience are Jodie Foster's lines in Contact. No words. They should have sent a poet.

Edited by Tom M, 21 August 2017 - 08:43 PM.

• Carol L, Bowmoreman, Rich_W and 3 others like this

#27 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

Other than 90 degree F plus heat the conditions were superb in Clarksville, TN.  It was fantastic to see solar prominences through a normal telescope once again and to witness an incredible display of the Sun's corona.

Kudos to eclipse guru Phil Harrington for picking this location!

Dave Mitsky

• paul hart likes this

#28 Sioux34

Sioux34

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cedar Rapids, IA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Enjoying all these stories!

I'm not. I was almost over being **** about getting shut out today and now I am just back to pure grumpiness.

#29 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Gemini

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I dragged the family out to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and let me tell you everyone was complaining coming out here... "Oh why cant we go on a beach vacation...  wahhh wahhh"

After seeing the eclipse everyone was completely floored...  "Wow..wow...wow... dad that was the most transcendental experience of my life.."   Needless to say, we are all really happy and feel so lucky to have witnessed this.  My youngest (who is 15) immediately calculated that she will be able to see to the 2024, 2044 and 2071 eclipses and said she will definitely do them all!

For me I think the most surprising experience was how cold it got, we were up on the ski mountain and my teeth were chattering during Totality.    I am already thinking about the 4 mins of totality for 2024...  not going to miss that one.  Hopefully we can be as fortunate in terms of gorgeous blue skies and breathtaking views we had here in Wyoming.

Al

• seawolfe likes this

#30 Starman81

Starman81

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Words really do fail! Really just trying to replay it in my mind over and over again! It helps that this is the same day; for some reason, when you go to sleep and wake up, I just feel like the memory 'changes' a bit...  May sound weird, but I always felt that way. Here is a good video on YouTube, that mirrors my experience, down to the treeline and type of crickets chirping like crazy! 

https://www.youtube....h?v=A6mui50YJEU

• BRCoz and entilza like this

#31 Keith NC

Keith NC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Guilford County North Carolina

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hot but otherwise perfect conditions in Greenville, SC.  An experience so incredible I have begun planning for 2024

#32 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: Arrakis

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

On site in Stanley, Idaho, the eclipse was off the chart. We got 2'14" of totality; I knew it would be beautiful, but not THAT beautiful. Clear skies with only a wisp of smoke, darkness descended quickly to a sky of navy blue, the corona exploded at the moment of totality. Baily's beads were visible for most of totality in sparkling magenta on the lunar limbs. It brought tears to my eyes through 12x binoculars.

For us in the mountains of Idaho, it was probably the most beautiful sight in Nature we had ever seen. Hope it was the same for all of you...

That was my experience as well. The corona extended out so far, further than I thought would be easily visible. Venus was quite the sight also.
  • backwoody and R Botero like this

#33 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

I estimate the corona extended 1.5 solar diameters on either side.

#34 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

The Diamond Ring is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen, ever. 

• RussL and SeattleScott like this

#35 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:58 PM

Torrington Wyoming perfect conditions. Clear sky no smoke. 2min 10 seconds. Caught prominence in 15x70's binos. Temp dropped 10 degrees and wind died down

Ok what is this with people viewing prominences with binos during the eclipse? Is this using solar filter? Or is the sun dim enough to observe with big binos during totality? 

My son was quite upset after the eclipse. "I want to see more! I want to see it again!!!" No problem, just have to wait a century. That didn't seem to appease him though.

Scott

#36 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

Theres no danger in looking at the eclipse during totality, naked eye or otherwise. Just stop before the diamond ring.
  • SeattleScott likes this

#37 Cpk133

Cpk133

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:30 PM

Without a doubt, the best astronomical event I've ever witnessed.  My oldest Son and I watched from the Jefferson Davis Memorial just outside Hopkinsville KY.  Tried to take it all in but my gosh, there's just so much going on.  Totality is really the perfect word.  I wasn't expecting the corona to be so large and "fluxy" with arcs and whisps.  Almost immediately after the 2nd diamond ring, we observed shadow bands that looked like small standing waves.  They were running SE to NW and easily seen on asphalt for about 10 seconds after 4th contact.  Made some new friends, and some amazing memories.   

• Starman81 likes this

#38 jaylyle

jaylyle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:42 PM

Can't think of the right words.   

Was in Grand Island, NE.  Similar story, high clouds that cleared out just before the totality.  Corona clearly visible.  Planets, stars.

Like a dream.  Pure magic.  

Very special time for my family and friends.  

A fellow from St. Cloud MN had a drone.  Really neat footage.  https://www.youtube....Ktc&app=desktop

• MikeMcCaskey and Cpk133 like this

#39 entilza

entilza

Soyuz

• Loc: Oakville, ON, Canada

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

Here's what we got in Toronto with just a 70% eclipse. It pales with what I'm seeing out there, I wish I could have been there... https://youtu.be/HQLVIDyykmw

Edited by entilza, 22 August 2017 - 12:00 AM.

• Cpk133 likes this

#40 zbadger

zbadger

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:01 AM

similar wow and add another wow from wyoming. only complaint was the largest traffic jam/ congestion in 6+ decades of living! one party of 4 in our group left 1/2 hour after totality and it took them 2 1/2 hours to go just 2 miles to get to 1-25 south. we decided to wait 3 hours and got stuck going back roads and on I-25. what should have taken us 4 hours will be over 8 hours. And amazingly at this late hour (11pm) it is still backed up all the way from just south of Glendo State Park all the way to Denver.

#41 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

My wife got scared about the Carmeggedon reports coming out of Oregon. "Your relatives house will get a 99% eclipse, that's good enough right?" I told her she would never live that down. So I dragged her down into the path of totality with the kids and PST. About halfway thru she was really getting into it. Totality and the diamond rings really wowed her. And traffic wasn't even all that bad, thanks to taking the secret back roads my relatives told me about. Somewhat unfortunate that I know people who bailed a couple days before after hearing the traffic reports. Oh, and my 8 relatives that lived at 99% totality were content viewing the event from home.

Scott

#42 aiken999

aiken999

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

Great experience in Lexington SC. Hot  mid 90s dropped to 80s during the eclipse got pretty dark. Over to soon. Had about 600 at the Lexington museum!! 

• RussL likes this

#43 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Torrington Wyoming perfect conditions. Clear sky no smoke. 2min 10 seconds. Caught prominence in 15x70's binos. Temp dropped 10 degrees and wind died down

Ok what is this with people viewing prominences with binos during the eclipse? Is this using solar filter? Or is the sun dim enough to observe with big binos during totality? 

My son was quite upset after the eclipse. "I want to see more! I want to see it again!!!" No problem, just have to wait a century. That didn't seem to appease him though.

Scott

As soon as totality started I pulled the Baader solar filter off my 4 inch refractor and started observing. Never have I seen that intense color in an object in space. A huge prominence was visible coming off the sun in a double horseshoe in tones of red, orange and purple which faded into a navy and white corona. My 5 year old son got a quick look after me and is still talking this morning about the fire he saw coming off the sun.  So the answer to your question is yes, you can observe during totality without a filter and it's a lifetime memory to do so. 

• R Botero likes this

#44 Tom M

Tom M

Ranger 4

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

I was a bit surprised at just how brilliant the corona was when it emerged and how it appeard as a multitude of gossamer wings in my 15x45IS binoculars. Sort of a play on the words from the song "Just One of Those Things."

A trip to the moon on gossamer wings
Just one of those things

#45 MSWcdavis

MSWcdavis

Viking 1

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Columbia, MO retained a high cirrus throughout but it didn't obscure the view. Amazing. I can see how eclipses could become a passion for some folks. During totality we got clear views of corona and even some prominences through my little 60mm RFT at 10x (with Baader film and a color filter. I caught a few snaps with my phone and a coolpix but they don't really do it justice. Very satisfying experience.

Got lucky in Colombia Mo too. Mind blower. If you want to relive it here is a time lapse video of the eclipse from Colombia Mo. also has a photo of totality from Colombia at the bottom.

https://www.google.c...e168461282.html

Right after totality ended some big clouds rolled. It was crazy luck thank goodness. I came from FL

Yes

Wow
  • ftwskies likes this

#46 astrofarm

astrofarm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

Watts Bar lake near Spring City TN.  Absolutely perfect. 2'39" totality. Saw everything.  Shadow bands, diamond Regulus, Venus , Mars, Chromosphere.  setNc worked flawlesly.

Attached Files

• Venetia2004, BRCoz, Bowmoreman and 2 others like this

#47 cdavid

cdavid

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, Massachusetts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

The most glorious light exploded from the edge as totality ended - an explosion of the brightest light I have ever seen. The blue sky around explosions of white light and magenta prominences with the deepest black in the center - looked like a hole in the sky. Wicked pissa - as we say in New a England!

Absolutely! At that moment when the bead exploded into view it truly was the most brilliant white light i have ever scene. Totally awestruck!
  • astrofarm likes this

#48 MikeMcCaskey

MikeMcCaskey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 40°5′48″N 87°38′31″W

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

Fairmont Nebraska. Very thin High altitude clouds, saw an aircraft with double flashing strobes tracking east to west during totality. Possibly NASA's WB-57??

WOW!!!!  

Edited by MikeMcCaskey, 22 August 2017 - 08:30 AM.

#49 RoyWSpencer

RoyWSpencer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

Center Hill Lake, TN, 50 mi east of Nashville, the cumulus clouds disappeared from the sky by the time the sun was half covered. I was surprised at how fast darkness falls.  Got a good wide angle (15 mm) time lapse and some 2000 mm images. Right at start of totality, the fish were jumping, and birds and crickets started chirping.

https://vimeo.com/230529804

#50 Tim in GA

Tim in GA

Apollo

• Loc: Lewis Center, OH

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

This was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The weather was perfect in Hopkinsville. When totality happened I was completely awestruck. Totally forgot about what I should be doing with my 3 cameras (one was automated but the other two needed manual control). I was shaking and speechless. Missed a few photos but holding my wife as we just watched was priceless. It was a surreal experience. Already looking forward to the next one, which fortunately passes within a few miles of home.

• entilza likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics