•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wow!

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 dgoldb

dgoldb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

From Hopkinsville, my experience was: (1) anything short of totality is interesting but unspectacular, (2) the corona was incredible - much more bright and detailed and large than I was expecting (seriously, it looked to me to extend something like 2-3x the sun's diameter in each direction), (3) it didn't get as dark as I thought, and there wasn't as much of a "shadow in the distance coming" as I had heard described, more of a gradual darkening to about twilight/dusk light levels, (4) 2 min 30 seconds went very quickly - I totally forgot to pick up my binos - I just stared naked eye (2024 I will make sure and use the binos); (5) the FOV through my SCT is far too small (even at 1.3 degrees) to capture the totality.  

Overall, a very fun experience although traffic & being on a monday were less than ideal.  The corona definitely stole the show for me - that's the thing that will stick in my mind as the most unique aspect.  

Edited by dgoldb, 22 August 2017 - 10:46 AM.

• Venetia2004, jtsenghas, xiando and 1 other like this

#52 Tom Gwilym

Tom Gwilym

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sturgeon Bay, WI

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

To sum it up in my words - the daylight sky was peeled open for a couple minutes revealing the universe!   smile.gif

#53 randalloverby

randalloverby

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

WOW, is a pretty good word, perfect in Lugoff SC smile.gif

I was there at the West Complex, perfect day and hardly any traffic.

• PXR-5 likes this

#54 BlakeMC

BlakeMC

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

Farm on the eastern side of Teton Valley Idaho.  Absolutely perfect conditions.  Crystal clear blue sky, family and friends on an empty open pasture overlooking the valley.

People say pictures don't do justice to totality so I decided I would put the camera down and just observe the sun and the environment with my wife and two boys.  We watched the darkness envelope the mountains to the west, and then the valley itself.  It got cold.

Nothing in nature prepares you for the site of a solar corona hanging in the sky were the sun should be.  It is an unbelievable sight.

2045 is directly over my house.

• ksgal likes this

#55 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

I'm still thinking about it. Amazing from my own deck right here in Cayce, SC.
  • Venetia2004 likes this

#56 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

That was a great site ;)
I had an St80 and was driving a gold Chevy Malibu max hatchback, was parked across from the restrooms.

Took me an hour and a half to come from Monroe via 601.

Edited by PXR-5, 22 August 2017 - 03:44 PM.

• randalloverby likes this

#57 kb7wox

kb7wox

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

To the eye the corona was a ghostly green in February 1979, but this time a blue-white.
Any way around it’s got to be the fastest 2 plus minutes ever lived.

#58 Tom Gwilym

Tom Gwilym

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sturgeon Bay, WI

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

I'm still thinking about what I saw yesterday, a lot of quiet thought while driving home for 8+ hours.  I realize I'm the guy in this familiar tapestry.   wink.gif

crystal_spheres_break_open.gif

• Venetia2004, RussL and Rich_W like this

#59 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

Torrington Wyoming perfect conditions. Clear sky no smoke. 2min 10 seconds. Caught prominence in 15x70's binos. Temp dropped 10 degrees and wind died down

Ok what is this with people viewing prominences with binos during the eclipse? Is this using solar filter? Or is the sun dim enough to observe with big binos during totality? 

My son was quite upset after the eclipse. "I want to see more! I want to see it again!!!" No problem, just have to wait a century. That didn't seem to appease him though.

Scott

As soon as totality started I pulled the Baader solar filter off my 4 inch refractor and started observing. Never have I seen that intense color in an object in space. A huge prominence was visible coming off the sun in a double horseshoe in tones of red, orange and purple which faded into a navy and white corona. My 5 year old son got a quick look after me and is still talking this morning about the fire he saw coming off the sun.  So the answer to your question is yes, you can observe during totality without a filter and it's a lifetime memory to do so. 

Good to know! Have to keep that in mind for next time. You know, 30 years from now...

maybe we will chase one down somewhere else in the world. Certainly was quite a show.

Scott

#60 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

2045 is directly over my house.

Do you have a guest room? :)

• paul hart and seawolfe like this

#61 DerekKind

DerekKind

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

Coolest thing I've ever seen.

• Venetia2004 likes this

#62 123Michael321

123Michael321

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

I realize I'm the guy in this familiar tapestry.   wink.gif

crystal_spheres_break_open.gif

Apologies if this is nitpicking, but that's not a tapestry. It's a colorized version of the Flammarion engraving. (A wood engraving.)

Edited by 123Michael321, 22 August 2017 - 08:01 PM.

#63 gmrv4

gmrv4

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas City MO USA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

My Brother, Mother and I observed the eclipse from our family farm north of Columbia Missouri. There was a very very thin high overcast but we found the experience amazing. The spooky darkness at totality left us breathless. The 3 of us shared 2 pairs of solar glasses. For me emotions were running high because this was the day we moved Mom from the farm to the city to a very nice assisted living home. Mom has never lived a day of her life in a city. We were very fortunate to share this day together and in all likelihood Mom will never be on the farm again. I will never forget this day. 

• Bowmoreman, RussL, mgwhittle and 3 others like this

#64 randalloverby

randalloverby

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

That was a great site wink.gif
I had an St80 and was driving a gold Chevy Malibu max hatchback, was parked across from the restrooms.

Took me an hour and a half to come from Monroe via 601.

I saw you there, we were just a few cars down, I had the Celestron Newtonian setup for viewing and imaging. We had about a 2hr drive back with hardly any traffic. Turned out to be a beautiful day !

• PXR-5 likes this

#65 txlatx

txlatx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas USA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

Fairmont Nebraska. Very thin High altitude clouds, saw an aircraft with double flashing strobes tracking east to west during totality. Possibly NASA's WB-57??

WOW!!!!  

I was in Fairmont too!  They did a great job for such a small town.  Great music, fun atmosphere, hay rides, etc.  Wonderful experience.  My plan was to set up at the general store but it was packed as I exited the highway.  Instead, I drove to their Main Street and pulled into one of several vacant parking spaces directly in front of the post office.  Classy!

...and I saw that aircraft too.  I thought it was just a private chaser but I could be wrong.  I had a lot going during totality. wink.gif

What's with this that I'm reading about people saying it's going to be 40+ years for another one?  No interest in doing some traveling?  Texas is treated to an annular eclipse in 2023 and gets to host a total eclipse in 2024.  I'm not waiting 40 years.  I'm doing a two-step in 2023/2024!  The "great American eclipse" was my test drive...and an amazing test drive at that.waytogo.gif

Edited by txlatx, 23 August 2017 - 06:41 AM.

• paul hart, Venetia2004, gralydolphin and 1 other like this

#66 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

Google eclipse from Carhenge...LOL!

#67 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Wimberley, TX

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:53 PM

Watts Bar lake near Spring City TN.  Absolutely perfect. 2'39" totality. Saw everything.  Shadow bands, diamond Regulus, Venus , Mars, Chromosphere.  setNc worked flawlesly.

That's pretty much where we were!!! On a families hillside overlooking the lake *just* before you go into Spring City on TN302... we were *close* I think!

Just amazing: perfect conditions (albeit HOT)

#68 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

Murphy NC, perfect conditions for the entire Eclipse. Hotter than h*ll, my first total, well worth the drive. I'm roasted, feel like a lobster. 

Yeah, it was too hot! I was in Columbia, SC and the heat index was at 102*. I was sweating the whole time and would run back into the hotel nearby every 30 min. to cool off some. When totality hit and first saw that beautiful corona in my binoculars, I was stunned and forgot about the heat for a moment. This one in some ways was better than my first one in 1998. Besides, I was with our club and there was a lot of excitement all around! They even brought cases of Corona Beer to hand out to celebrate!

#69 AUricle

AUricle

Messenger

• Loc: Frankfort, IL

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

Columbia, MO retained a high cirrus throughout but it didn't obscure the view. Amazing. I can see how eclipses could become a passion for some folks. During totality we got clear views of corona and even some prominences through my little 60mm RFT at 10x (with Baader film and a color filter. I caught a few snaps with my phone and a coolpix but they don't really do it justice. Very satisfying experience.

Got lucky in Colombia Mo too. Mind blower. If you want to relive it here is a time lapse video of the eclipse from Colombia Mo. also has a photo of totality from Colombia at the bottom.

https://www.google.c...e168461282.html

Right after totality ended some big clouds rolled. It was crazy luck thank goodness. I came from FL

Yes

Wow

I was 10 miles west of Columbia. We got the CLOUD.undecided.gif

#70 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

Thoughts on various phenomena and aspects of the event....

Overall event - I've searched Youtube in vain for anything that came close to what I witnessed. Yes, there are plenty of videos of the eclipse, including a few from the same town (Eddyville) where I observed. But yet, everything pales in comparison.

Totality - It's not what you expect when it arrives. I'm sure this will be the case the next time I witness totality. The extremes and changes in lighting just cannot be captured by photography of any kind.

Diamond ring - I missed it both times. I won't miss it in 2024....

The 'glow' - As I had just missed the first diamond ring by a split second, I instead saw the eclipsed sun basking in a vast, warm golden glow. It was striking and unexpected. I don't recall anyone describing this phenomenon before. It makes me think of the fading afterglow of a thermonuclear blast. I figure this was glare from the extreme inner corona and chromosphere.

Corona - Awesome. The inner part was brilliant, the outer extensions had an otherworldly pearl-like luster with a greenish yellow hue. I saw the three main extensions out to about a solar-diameter distance, and some tendrils on the north side with 7x50s.

Chromosphere - I never saw it clearly. At most, I detected as a reddening (pinkish orange) of the inner corona as totality was ending.

Prominences - Even with binoculars, I had some trouble separating the big prominence from the inner corona. I didn't see any with the naked eye. I wonder if one of the scattered cirrus clouds had an effect on visibility.

Stars and planets - I saw only Venus. I didn't want to take the extra time to scan for anything that wasn't readily visible from where I stood.

The moon's shadow - This is a celebrated -- yet still underrated -- phenomenon and one of the most awesome aspects of totality (just short of the eclipsed sun itself). This is probably a big reason why experienced eclipse observers say "you just have to be there." It is almost frightening how fast it gets dark as the shadow sweeps over you. And it was surreal to see it sweep the remaining twilight to the east just after it passed over the eclipsed sun.

360-degree twilight - I captured this on video. Still, it was so bizarre to see this, it almost didn't register at the time.

Shadow bands - I did not detect them, but I did see a shimmering in the sunlight on the  just before it was extinguished.

Wildlife - I did hear cicadas at the time, but sometimes they'll decide to start up at any time. A bird started its evening song just before totality. After totality, I saw three bats flutter overhead.

People - I heard exclamations of excitement just as totality approached and some commenting afterward. Otherwise, all sounds seemed to melt away during totality.

Crowds - Almost completely overblown. I figure there were real concerns in places like Oregon or Wyoming, where there are very limited access and facilities to cater to all the folks streaming in from places like California and Colorado, among others. These concerns were then 'transferred' to states that vast networks of roads to allow people to spread out (Nebraska and eastward). At least we know this going into 2024.

The weather - The clouds that were once threatening actually ended up enhancing the experience. The cumulus towers and scattered cirrus along the horizon provided a sense of scale to the event as the shadow approached.

Edited by Exeligmos, 15 September 2017 - 12:28 PM.

• R Botero likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics