•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So - after all of the Weather Angst - Where was it Cloudy?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

Like many, my group worried about the weather and what we would or could do about it (as in scrambling for clear skies if possible).  We certainly had our doubts.  Plan A (Jefferson City, MO) did not look particularly promising, but central Nebraska seemed worse.  While central Tennessee would have been closer for us, a place to go was problematic.  We stuck with Plan A, and luckily we were lucky.  From our location in Chamois, MO, about 25 miles east of Jefferson City, we had clouds early that broke before 1st Contact.  We had high level thin clouds that continued to thin and while present during totality, did not spoil the show.  At our location we had about 150 people from various locations.  License plates from 10 different states were counted in the parking area.  Everyone was pumped and cooperative, almost like a large family reunion, no, maybe better.

We were quite happy with what we got.

So, where did people in the "path of totality" actually get skunked by the weather?  I heard St. Joseph, MO, was mostly cloudy, and both Kansas City and Nashville had problems, but some people in both those locations did see at least some of totality.  Is there any location that was completely socked in?

Barry Simon

Edited by BarrySimon615, 23 August 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#2 ilovecomets

ilovecomets

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern MA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

We had clear blue skies in Murphy NC at 2m 29s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Cajundaddy likes this

#3 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

It was predicted at 50% chance of thunderstorms for me but although there were storms to the southwest and northeast of me, I was in a mosty clear sky area for the entire event.

Now I may have to pay the price, a tropical storm headed my way may turn into anywhere from a strong tropical storm to a hurricane.

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

It was predicted at 50% chance of thunderstorms for me but although there were storms to the southwest and northeast of me, I was in a mosty clear sky area for the entire event.

Now I may have to pay the price, a tropical storm headed my way may turn into anywhere from a strong tropical storm to a hurricane.

So where were you for totality, you did not say.

Barry Simon

#5 Nehemiah

Nehemiah

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

Sunset Rock in Highlands NC was planned, but several groups abandoned the area due to clouds.  We were torn.  We ended up driving about 30 minutes to Franklin NC, where there was less cloud cover but we only made it with about 5 minutes to totality.  It was stressful, but we had a great experience.

#6 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

I was staying in Grand Island with many others.  We were definitely nervous the night before and morning of.  We broke for the northwest about 8am and were in a lovely festival in Ravenna by 9:30 or so.  It was never "clear". Had it been another routine night of observing, I'd have not set up. We stayed ready to bolt but we were clearly between two arcs of cloud and got a fantastic view of totality.  The clouds actually ended up adding to the view as they rippled and shimmered just ahead of C2 and after C3. In addition, we could clearly see the shadow on the clouds as it approached and departed.  Totality was viewed through thin cirrus.

The folks at the hotel said it was cloudy until a little before C2 and again half an hour after C3 but they got a look in both Grand Island and Hastings.  It sounds like any further southeast from there was skunked.

I can't imagine how I'd have felt.  I was resigned to missing it and already pretty down.  The festival lifted my spirits and the actual view. My God, unbelievable.  If you missed it, don't feel bad for feeling bad but remember, while seeing one is "once in a lifetime" they actually happen fairly often and I encourage you to stay after it and get yourself under the shadow.

• mwedel likes this

#7 Rickycardo

Rickycardo

Viking 1

• Loc: Bolingbrook, Illinois

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

It was hot and humid in Land Between the Lakes NP in Kentucky but the sky stayed clear the entire time. Perfect views!

#8 Sioux34

Sioux34

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cedar Rapids, IA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

At Lewis and Clark state park just south of st joeseph MO the clouds closed in just after first contact. It started to rain just before totality and the sun was completely invisible until just before last contact. It totally sucked and I will be mad about it for a long time.

#9 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Vanguard

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

It totally sucked and I will be mad about it for a long time.

Time Infects all wounds...unless properly treated....Visit your local clinic for your med's...tongue2.gif

#10 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:51 PM

We had blue skies in Santee, South Carolina. It was a time not to be forgotten. We
observed the eclipse at a club members house at the lake
The ride back home> 140 miles which took extra two and half hours, but well worth it

#11 woolbrig

woolbrig

Messenger

• Loc: Bethalto, Illinois

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

Sparta, IL was clear for the eclipse.  

The night before the regional weather showed all of southern IL would be covered in clouds.  Seriously thought about trying to drive to Kentucky, but decided to stay put.  Woke up early Monday morning went out to see most clear skies.  Just some high thin clouds.  By first contact they had cleared off.

About 15 minutes before totality cumulus clouds could be seen along the horizon.  I just new they were coming our way.  But they never did.  Stayed clear until about 15 minutes after 4th contact.  Then heavy clouds rolled in.  Whew!

#12 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

Barry Simon

The thread did not specify totality.  A friend and I observed at his place west of Houston.  It was about 75% coverage here.

#13 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

started in grand island, but the noaa forecasts pushed us west and we ended up in scottsbluff, ne. headed north on 71 and had a great view

• comprapescado likes this

#14 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Carbondale until upto 1:30 mins into Totality.

#15 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Sunny and hot with a very few clouds at Andrews, NC. When a cloud did obscure the sun for a couple of minutes a while before totality, I actually welcomed the cooling.  Pretty near perfect weather, unlike our transit of Mercury and a lot of other astro events.

Jim H.

• REC likes this

#16 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:21 PM

Sparta, IL was clear for the eclipse.

The night before the regional weather showed all of southern IL would be covered in clouds. Seriously thought about trying to drive to Kentucky, but decided to stay put. Woke up early Monday morning went out to see most clear skies. Just some high thin clouds. By first contact they had cleared off.

About 15 minutes before totality cumulus clouds could be seen along the horizon. I just new they were coming our way. But they never did. Stayed clear until about 15 minutes after 4th contact. Then heavy clouds rolled in. Whew!

Family an I were at Sparta illinois too. We were at the shooting complex RV park. We drove down in RV from Virden. Words fail to describe, the experience and visuals were spectacular. We thought about packing up and head south, so glad we stayed. It was clear, Clouds were at every horizon but Sparta. Distant clouds added to the effect of the eclipse. It's hard to wait 7 years for the next one. I just wished I could have frozen time and experienced it longer than 2 minutes. I can see how eclipse chasing is addictive for those with the means to travel the world chasing the next one.
  • sglamb and comprapescado like this

#17 woolbrig

woolbrig

Messenger

• Loc: Bethalto, Illinois

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

Family an I were at Sparta illinois too. We were at the shooting complex RV park. We drove down in RV from Virden. Words fail to describe, the experience and visuals were spectacular. We thought about packing up and head south, so glad we stayed. It was clear, Clouds were at every horizon but Sparta. Distant clouds added to the effect of the eclipse. It's hard to wait 7 years for the next one. I just wished I could have frozen time and experienced it longer than 2 minutes. I can see how eclipse chasing is addictive for those with the means to travel the world chasing the next one.

We were camping at the shooting complex too!  Great place to view from.  Got a couple of t-shirts to commemorate the occasion.

#18 NebulousLogic

NebulousLogic

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest US

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

Carbondale, SIU campus, football stadium, southeast corner.  bangbang.gif

#19 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

Barry Simon

The thread did not specify totality.  A friend and I observed at his place west of Houston.  It was about 75% coverage here.

My apology, I edited my original post.  I am primarily interested in conditions in the path of totality.  In New Orleans where I live, my wife tells me that it was mostly cloudy but must could see the partial phases for a good part of the 3 hours of the partial eclipse here.  As I said in my first post we were lucky to see totality under thin cirrus clouds from Chamois, MO.

Barry Simon

• bikerdib and comprapescado like this

#20 gwenmay

gwenmay

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Glenwood, New York

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

We had a little bit of a nail biter in Newberry,  SC. Between first contact and totality, there were building storm clouds that, until about 15 minutes before totality, threatened the show. But thankfully, the clouds moved completely out of the way giving us clear skies for the rest of the afternoon. 

• REC and comprapescado like this

#21 KeithSmith

KeithSmith

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

So, where did people in the "path of totality" actually get skunked by the weather?  I heard St. Joseph, MO, was mostly cloudy, and both Kansas City and Nashville had problems, but some people in both those locations did see at least some of totality.  Is there any location that was completely socked in?

Barry Simon

I was at Liberty, MO.  The clouds cleared out about 40 minutes before totality and stayed mostly clear until just before totality.  A thin layer of clouds started moving in from the west that were only visible on camera just ahead of some rainclouds that arrived a minute or so after totality ended.  Hopefully there will be better weather in Arkansas for the 2024 eclipse.

#22 marsbase

marsbase

Vostok 1

• Loc: East PA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Forecast for Nashville was clear all day but large clouds moved in before the eclipse started. I was lucky to see totality through some patchy clear spots.

Attached Files

• comprapescado likes this

#23 Marsie Comet

Marsie Comet

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

There were some big puffy cumulus clouds in Greer, SC around noon/1p.  Typical for early afternoon in the South.  They miraculously dissipated though and did not affect the show at all.  Sending all good things for the next eclipse to those who had less than stellar weather and viewing - well, sending that to all of us really!

• ilovecomets likes this

#24 ksgal

ksgal

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

I was south of Alliance, NE, and saw it was 50/50 on chance of clouds, but it dropped off fast north and west of me, so I hoofed it over to 40 miles north west of there and it was clear as a bell for all of the show. 

It's my understanding it started cloudy in Alliance, but the clouds parted for the totality show, so I could have stayed put. 

Edited by ksgal, 23 August 2017 - 05:05 PM.

• mwedel and comprapescado like this

#25 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

York, Nebraska. Totality was eclipsed by the clouds.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics