•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So - after all of the Weather Angst - Where was it Cloudy?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Vanguard

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

I took Amtrak from NY to Denver and drove to Glendo WY, we had beautiful blue skies. However I met a man in the waiting room at the train station in Chicago. He went to Missouri to view the eclipse and got clouded out, He was heart broke and did not even want to talk about the eclipse. So glad that did not happen to us, counting my lucky stars.

I made the mistake of resetting my camera to factory settings then forgot to capture RAW so only JPGs were captured. Next total eclipse I won't even try to photograph it, just observe and be awe struck.

20170821135407 2S0A2655
20170821135312 2S0A2625

Edited by sink45ny, 30 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.

• comprapescado likes this

#52 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Steubenville, Ohio

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

I feel terrible for all the folks that were clouded out. Stinks doesn't even begin to describe it. Hopefully for all those that missed this eclipse will be able to see the one in 7 years.

My wife and I were northwest of Idaho Falls and it was clear the entire time.

• SeymoreStars likes this

#53 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

It's my understanding it started cloudy in Alliance, but the clouds parted for the totality show, so I could have stayed put. 

I was in Alliance and it was a nail-biter. Clear when we drove in, right about C1. But there was a brisk north wind and scattered clouds started passing over, occasionally completely blocking the sun for a few seconds. A few minutes before totality, a real monster drifted in. This was the view with 5 minutes to go until showtime:

BUT that big cloud kept on moving. Here's the Diamond Ring just before C2:

And then those last wisps of cloud moved on and it was perfectly clear for all of totality. I don't remember any clouds in the whole second half of the eclipse, either. So we were all very happy - we got a great view of totality, and in retrospect the big cloud added a bit of additional suspense. It was easy to be happy afterwards since things had gone well. If that cloud had come by even a couple of minutes later, it would have been pretty frustrating.

The shot of totality looks pretty close to the size of what the naked eye saw? What camera did you use? Sorry about that nasty little cloud, but at least you did see it!

• mwedel likes this

#54 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

Only good news to report from  Loudon ,Tennessee  at the Tennessee Valley Winery.

Weather was perfect from sunrise through the whole day.....I planned it with an option to travel elsewhere if I had to.  but it was super......

it was however  96 degrees... at some point the sweat can drip onto one of your eye pieces as I learned. My home made solar filters I made from thousand oaks silver black polymer   and pringle potato chip cans were super and were a big hit with the folks around me.

the temp dropped 10 degrees BTW. and   birds went into the trees...insects made their respective noises.  I did note that the two horse in the field right next to us seemed unfazed.....the human beings appeared  to be greatly affected and awed   starting with me....    

Yeah, that heat really got to me over in SC. Thank God I was right next to our hotel and would go in and out to cool off!

#55 mwedel

mwedel

Goofing off

• Loc: Claremont, CA

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

The shot of totality looks pretty close to the size of what the naked eye saw? What camera did you use? Sorry about that nasty little cloud, but at least you did see it.

Thanks. That was an unmagnified shot with my iPhone 7, shooting in HDR mode. The good one is from the first diamond ring, just before second contact. The cloud had moved out a couple of seconds later, and we had clear skies for totality.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics