•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trying to explain to friends and family what it was like.

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

Although to be perfectly honest, it wouldn't surprise me if those of us who already have an understanding of, and fascination with, 'regular' astronomical sights, are also more likely to wax lyrical about a total eclipse. In the same way that a majority of the general public, when urged to appreciate the wonder of a star-studded night sky, are more likely to be thinking 'Yes but it's pretty cold out here'.

#52 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

". If you get a chance to see one in person, take it. Words and these pictures can’t describe what it looks like in person. It is awe inspiring and beautiful. I will always remember the beauty of the prominences seen through Athena’s telescope during totality with the background of the awesome corona."

This view will always stay with me. What a sight!!

I also remember being very scared when I removed the solar filter from the telescope.

#53 3snows

3snows

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:02 AM

It is impossible to describe, but this was my experience.

We took a 2+ week family road trip from Boston to Nashville (ok I forced my wife and daughter to go to Nashville).  But to make it interesting for them we did all the tourist things which included:

Niagara Falls, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Multiple Theme parks with lots of roller coasters, Kentucky State Fair, Mammouth Caves, and on the way home 3 days in DC where we actually visited the White House.

When my 11 year old daughter is asked her favorite park of the trip....she says "totality".  Nuff said.

Edited by 3snows, 27 September 2017 - 09:05 AM.

• cjdavis618 and caveman_astronomer like this

#54 winstar

winstar

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tyler, Texas

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

I tried to describe the effect in my "Eclipse" poem, now in Amateur Astronomy Magazine.  Tens of editors turned this one down over 40 year period, until Charlie Warren took a chance on it.

Even now, this written work of mine has gone over with a  giant Thud!  Except with people who actually saw totality.

Then, it becomes a horse of a different color smile.gif   Other than what I wrote, I have given up trying to convince people.   

I've tried writing about it in a poem and a longer writeup on a personal blog. It's a huge challenge to describe, knowing that you'll fail going in. I just had to write the experience out of my mind to try and move on with other non-eclipse things. 

Would love to read your poem. Is it in the August or September issue?

#55 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:00 PM

A fellow in are group who had seen a few of them and asked in an interview what it looked like? He said "like seeing God"!

#56 Exeligmos

Exeligmos

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

"I watched as the Lamb broke open the sixth seal.... The sun turned black like the clothes people wear when they’re sad.... The sky rolled back like a scroll...."

~ Revelation 6:12-14

#57 ed_turco

ed_turco

Vanguard

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

I tried to describe the effect in my "Eclipse" poem, now in Amateur Astronomy Magazine.  Tens of editors turned this one down over 40 year period, until Charlie Warren took a chance on it.

Even now, this written work of mine has gone over with a  giant Thud!  Except with people who actually saw totality.

Then, it becomes a horse of a different color smile.gif   Other than what I wrote, I have given up trying to convince people.   

I've tried writing about it in a poem and a longer writeup on a personal blog. It's a huge challenge to describe, knowing that you'll fail going in. I just had to write the experience out of my mind to try and move on with other non-eclipse things. 

Would love to read your poem. Is it in the August or September issue?

Please remember that this is Amateur Astronomy Magazine, NOT Astronomy Magazine.  My poem appeared in the Summer Issue.

#58 MG1692

MG1692

Apollo

• Loc: Western Kansas

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:05 PM

I think the best thing I can come up with is you need to experience a solar eclipse. Not see it. Not observe it but feel the physical and emotional impact an event like that has on a person.

An old seasoned professional astronomer delivered perhaps the best description I have heard so far

"It was the most devastating gorgeous thing I have ever witnessed in my life"

On personal note I can recall being emotionally staggered by totality. I know at the moment I took my glasses off, my jaw physically dropped. That has never ever happened before in my life.

Edited by MG1692, 18 December 2017 - 04:05 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics