•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax Telescopes & Mounts

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 stevep

stevep

Mariner 2

• Loc: UK, Weather sucks

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:48 AM

Thanks Dave,

I had seen a couple of other serial numbers on the net, and along with mine led me to the conclusion that the first two digits were the year,

''pretty rare in the US'' I think they are pretty rare where ever you live, have seen 1 65mm here in the UK, no others that I know of,

Steve

#77 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Hi Steve,

Yes, that's one of the reasons I bought this. I like to purchase a rare, interesting classic telescope like this and make a Youtube video about it for all to see. Unfortunately, I usually end up selling these scopes at a substantial loss some months later. But it's worth it to nab one for my video collection. 

- Dave

Edited by Dave Trott, 10 June 2018 - 10:03 AM.

• deSitter, Bomber Bob and Ben Bajorek like this

#78 ltha

ltha

Messenger

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

I have owned several Pentax refractors and all were wonderful optically. Recently I bought two 105SDs, one went to a fellow Pentax fan in Slovenia, the other is here and I recently did a little side-by-side with an excellent C102F. Both scopes turned in excellent images.

The first which has a rubber protection ring on the dew shield and a 7x50 finder, gone off to the new owner:

Attached Thumbnails

• 25AB7461-3AD7-4E30-916B-25399466D676.jpeg

Edited by ltha, 10 June 2018 - 03:03 PM.

• rolo, steve t, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#79 ltha

ltha

Messenger

• Loc: Bend, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:38 AM

The second, and “no” I did not paint the house to match the scope! It is an older version and has the 6x35CI finder:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1EB1FBBD-50BF-4510-998E-3F83B3807888.jpeg

Edited by ltha, 10 June 2018 - 03:02 PM.

• rolo, steve t, Dave Trott and 5 others like this

#80 stevep

stevep

Mariner 2

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

Nice Scopes,

I would not mind a look through one of those, but not seen one on this side of the pond,

Steve

#81 stevep

stevep

Mariner 2

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

Hi Steve,

Yes, that's one of the reasons I bought this. I like to purchase a rare, interesting classic telescope like this and make a Youtube video about it for all to see. Unfortunately, I usually end up selling these scopes at a substantial loss some months later. But it's worth it to nab one for my video collection. 

- Dave

Hi Dave,

Well I have viewed through a good few scopes over the past 40+ years, and I know you have had a good few as well, I would say these scopes are about as good as it can get when compared to others in the same size/class, sensibly perfect optics,

my only gripe with these is that once the mount is built it won't fit through a single doorway,

something tells me you may hold on to one of these !

Steve

#82 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 June 2018 - 11:43 PM

Hi Dave,

Well I have viewed through a good few scopes over the past 40+ years, and I know you have had a good few as well, I would say these scopes are about as good as it can get when compared to others in the same size/class, sensibly perfect optics,

my only gripe with these is that once the mount is built it won't fit through a single doorway,

something tells me you may hold on to one of these !

Steve

Yes, have several nice ones to select from. I also have a little J60.

IMG 2832 small

The optics on this little thing are wonderful. I just had it out to look at Jupiter. Great views! Here's my video on the J60: https://www.youtube....S5YsHFsk&t=158s

• steve t, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#83 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:26 AM

By the way, here's a picture of my superb Pentax 85 (thanks Stew!)

You can see a video about this beautiful instrument at: https://www.youtube....uSx4FldCXE&t=3s

- Dave

Beautiful scope!

-drl

#84 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:28 AM

Hi Steve,

- Dave

Your videos are one of my favorite things! Here's hoping you break even in the future!

-drl

• rolo and Dave Trott like this

#85 stevep

stevep

Mariner 2

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

Yes, have several nice ones to select from. I also have a little J60.

The optics on this little thing are wonderful. I just had it out to look at Jupiter. Great views! Here's my video on the J60: https://www.youtube....S5YsHFsk&t=158s

Another nice video Dave,

The J series were very good, Here is the J80 I owned a few years ago, OTA and rings only with a vixen RA finder, this is what got me interested in Pentax scopes, optics were very very good, best I had experienced in an 80mm scope, I have also owned a late1950's Jupiter that I restored again great optics, this now resides in a museum in Spain, 

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• p1010186 small.jpg

• rolo, dyslexic nam, steve t and 2 others like this

#86 AnakChan

AnakChan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

This was taken back in May and I put it in the Refractors thread but realised that'll be worthy of sharing here too. My Pentax 125SDP on my Vixen AXD doing a little astrophotography of NGC 7000 :-

post-232561-0-87391500-1526732566.jpg

• davidmcgo, rolo, dyslexic nam and 5 others like this

#87 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:07 AM

Another nice video Dave,

The J series were very good, Here is the J80 I owned a few years ago, OTA and rings only with a vixen RA finder, this is what got me interested in Pentax scopes, optics were very very good, best I had experienced in an 80mm scope, I have also owned a late1950's Jupiter that I restored again great optics, this now resides in a museum in Spain, 

Steve

I have two of these J80 scopes - one is a very early serial number in great shape and the other has a few more "miles" on it, including a small clamshell chip in the objective.  The second mount is also somewhat incomplete, but could be a good source for parts. 

In terms of other classic Pentax gear, I also have the small black J60c (quite different from the J60) that is an interesting little package.   Plus I was lucky enough to obtain a vintage ep set (two orthos and a kellner) that used to accompany their long ED scopes.  It is a bit of a mishmash of a collection, but I have always had "a thing" for Pentax astro gear.

Edited by dyslexic nam, 05 December 2018 - 08:07 AM.

• rolo, Bomber Bob and TSSClay like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics