•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax Telescopes & Mounts

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#151 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Gemini

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 11 September 2021 - 10:31 PM

My new to me ZWO ASI183MC camera has arrived.  My first camera since imaging with an Olympus Om1 film camera in the 1990’s.  The ASI AIr Pro and camera connected easily and I was up and running in 15 minutes.  

I have no idea what I am doing or what settings to use on the camera, but these are the first few images tonight with the Pentax 75EDHF.   Obviously no processing as I haven’t a clue about that. 

These are 10 second images from Austin,Tx(about mag 2 skies). I was amazed to see the central star in M57 with the little Pentax. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 53671AE1-BAB4-404C-8269-13988CD853B6.jpeg
  • 64E6A213-4012-45B5-96FD-BF2EB1B21D76.jpeg

Edited by Steve_M_M, 11 September 2021 - 10:32 PM.

• RichA, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#152 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 12 September 2021 - 05:12 PM

I have the Pentax 75 edhf

when I got it I needed help and adapters to get it to focus at all....back focus issues

Once I got the right custom adapter   thanks Steve    I had not really used it   now  the optics are really good but  I recently noticed the focuser rod has the slightest bend to it   it is also missing one of the four focuser screws on the far right....

I wonder where I might go for assistance   then I wondered it a moonlite focuser could be installed?  I have learned what most of you already knew about the Pentax-centric focuser adapter line up

any ideas? 

thanks

#153 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 September 2021 - 05:15 PM

I have the Pentax 75 edhf

when I got it I needed help and adapters to get it to focus at all....back focus issues

Once I got the right custom adapter   thanks Steve    I had not really used it   now  the optics are really good but  I recently noticed the focuser rod has the slightest bend to it   it is also missing one of the four focuser screws on the far right....

I wonder where I might go for assistance   then I wondered it a moonlite focuser could be installed?  I have learned what most of you already knew about the Pentax-centric focuser adapter line up

any ideas? 

thanks

Replacing a screw is easy, you may be able to coax (carefully) the pinion back into straight shape on a vice, but it's a risk.  Moonlight makes a lot of adapters for their focusers so measuring the diameter (I.D.) of the tube and asking them if they have an adapter would be good.  You can drill new holes in the adapter to match your OTA.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#154 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Posted 12 September 2021 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Rich

This is the type of info I need     I will contact them

#155 GilATM

GilATM

Viking 1

• Loc: Ventura, CA

Posted 14 September 2021 - 04:28 PM

Looking for help in identifying this beautiful little mount.   I can not find any identification other than "Pentax".

I bought this little mount years ago and am just now getting around to examine it.    The tripod is about 40" high at it's greatest height.  The polar axis is 20mm in diameter.  It has a polar axis scope.  It has silky smooth gearing with little to no backlash.   The knobs are all plastic.   The holes for the eyepieces are only 25mm in diameter.  

I would most like to motorize it so that I might do some guided astrophography with it and a small scope. 

Gil

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210914_135908.jpg
  • 20210914_135735.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, AnakChan and 3 others like this

#156 coinboy1

coinboy1

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 14 September 2021 - 05:31 PM

Thats a Pentax MS-2 mount
  • GilATM and Defenderslideguitar like this

#157 GilATM

GilATM

Viking 1

Posted 14 September 2021 - 06:13 PM

Thanks! Has anyone adapted one to a drive, either just for autoguide or for goto (such as onstep)?

#158 GilATM

GilATM

Viking 1

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:42 AM

Looks like someone did convert the MS-2 mount for astrophotography - but it looks like it may not worth the trouble.   I can only read using the automatic Google translation from Japanese - so I don't know how accurate it is.   It mentions that the Dec is "only a spring and a gear" and would need to be rebuilt for full rotation.

http://oldphoton.blo.../pentax-75.html

Edited by GilATM, 15 September 2021 - 01:47 AM.

• gwfbmd likes this

#159 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:24 PM

I do not like the declination design on these mounts and I would not put any extra time into such a mount.  A spring and a gear is an apt description - and it is frustrating to have the clamps locked down and still have it movable against the spring!

My Pentax mount worked much better when I was using .965 eyepieces.  I am now using big 2" MWA and UWA eyepieces, and the mount is no longer up to the task.  The counterweight is too small, the tube won't slide enough in the saddle to balance, and the aforementioned declination axis is a joke.

I will probably take the saddle off and stick it on a rail for my LX85.  Now, that will be awesome.  The Pentax mount will inherit a PST, if I ever have time to fool with it.

By the way, I was observing The Helix and The Veil at a dark sky with the 75EDHF last week.  It was all so great.  Also, numerous experienced observers pronounced that the view of Saturn was without a doubt the best any 75mm telescope in the world could possibly provide.  We also observed the GRS on Jupiter and a transit of Io.  I could easily see the structure of the clouds where they lead into the GRS.

• Steve_M_M, GilATM and Defenderslideguitar like this

#160 GilATM

GilATM

Viking 1

Posted 15 September 2021 - 11:18 PM

I do not like the declination design on these mounts and I would not put any extra time into such a mount.  A spring and a gear is an apt description - and it is frustrating to have the clamps locked down and still have it movable against the spring!  ....

That is unfortunate.   I too had thought of using it for my little PST - the size seem just right, but even then I would like to have a simple RA drive.   It could then double as a wide field mount for unguided astrophotography - but if the DEC is not reliably still, then that utility is lost as well.  

Gil

• gwfbmd likes this

#161 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:24 AM

I too have the venerable Pentax 75 edhf     the optics are so good and surprisingly  I was very pleased with how it did on planets considering its design         with the built in reducer it does some wide stuff very well and if I ever get my Cannon t2i on it I may learn more of what it is designed to do....

Now   not to be contrary with the Pentax 75  but   for planetary in this size range    I'll take the 1992  Tak FC 76   against all comers 

it is simply special in my view   

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 16 September 2021 - 11:24 AM.

• Steve_M_M, Terra Nova and Marcus Roman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics