•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did anyone see Regulus?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

2 degrees from the Sun and was mentioned as a possibility. Haven't seen any reports of success however.

#2 QueueCT

QueueCT

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

The only thing I noticed was Venus. Wanted a shot at Mercury but I was so fascinated by what was going on that I didn't really look. Didn't get as dark as I expected ...

• Venetia2004 and dghundt like this

#3 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

I believe I did, but I did not see Mercury or Mars, which makes me think maybe I imagined it. What I saw was at about 10-11 o'clock relative to the sun, and was just visible.

#4 dgoldb

dgoldb

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

2 degrees from the Sun and was mentioned as a possibility. Haven't seen any reports of success however.

I am not sure it was regulus, but there was a single star that was visible quite close to the sun, I believe off to the left of the sun... based on what I see now online about its position, I think it was.  

• outofsight likes this

#5 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

I could easily see Regulus during totality with binoculars.  I didn't see it naked-eye but admittedly I spent a large portion of my naked-eye observing time just staring dumbfounded at the corona.

Clear Skies,

PHil

• JHollJr, caheaton, TOM KIEHL and 4 others like this

#6 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

As above, I saw it with binoculars but not naked eye. It took my wife prompting me to notice Venus and Jupiter.  I was just blown away by the corona.

• JHollJr, outofsight and comprapescado like this

#7 Starhunter249

Starhunter249

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

I did see regulas in my 15 × 70 binoculars just off to the east of the eclipsed sun. I wasn't looking for it and at the time didnt know which star it was til I checked my planetium app. I don't know if it was the optics, nearby solar corona, or the atmosphere, probably combination of all three;regulas was twinkling rapidly next to the eclipsed sun and was far more reddish in color. I do remember it well, as I was surprised to see a bright star so close to the solar eclipse. I did see regulas naked eye after I put the binoculars down. But I think I would have missed it had I not looked at the eclipse in the binoculars prior. I didn't see it before I looked in the binoculars. Things were happening fast with all the excitement. The binoculars seemed to calm me down and obsorb the moments. People around me were going nuts, i did too for the first 15 seconds.
  • comprapescado likes this

#8 corax

corax

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Davis, CA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

I could easily see Regulus during totality with binoculars.  I didn't see it naked-eye but admittedly I spent a large portion of my naked-eye observing time just staring dumbfounded at the corona.

Ditto to all the above (from east of John Day, OR). Naked-eye, all I noticed were Venus and one bright star -- Capella, maybe?

• comprapescado likes this

#9 HDGator

HDGator

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

Regulus was clearly naked-eye visible in Weiser, ID during totality about 2 degrees east and 1 degree lower than the sun/moon. A few of my longer exposures started picking up Nu Leonis on the opposite side of the sun. Can't wait to get them processed...

• FXM and dghundt like this

#10 woolbrig

woolbrig

Messenger

• Loc: Bethalto, Illinois

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

From our location you could see Regulus with the naked eye.  My wife was the first to notice it.  After she mentioned it, I remembered to look for Venus which was easily visible.  Didn't notice any other stars.  That would require looking away from the corona!

#11 bunyon

bunyon

Aurora

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Sky conditions were probably important.  I saw a few images in another forum with unbelievably sharp prominences and the imager said the seeing was clearly superb.  Where I was we were between big arcs of cloud with wind and storms in the (wider) area.  We watched the eclipse through high cirrus.  My guess is seeing and transparency were poor so seeing stars was more difficult.  

#12 CSG

CSG

Apollo

• Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

We saw it near Stanley, ID.  I only took four photos with a hand held P&S 30x zoom Lumix ZS50 but Regulus showed up well in two of the photos (as long as your monitor is set bright enough).

36679020246_4cf0d5d480_c.jpg

Edited by Chris Greene, 23 August 2017 - 04:41 PM.

• PXR-5 and REC like this

#13 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Interesting, thanks all.

#14 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

My wife and I both saw Regulus naked eye. Conditions were excellent in Athens, TN with no clouds.

#15 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Only got Venus and Procyon.  I had a possible sighting of Jupiter (it was very iffy).

#16 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

Regulus is on my video footage, twinkling away!

Joe 

#17 Venetia2004

Venetia2004

Viking 1

• Loc: Lynnwood, WA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

The only thing I noticed was Venus. Wanted a shot at Mercury but I was so fascinated by what was going on that I didn't really look. Didn't get as dark as I expected ...

Ditto! I did  first notice  Venus since it was the brightest and then other two stars but I was focused on the eclipse and taking pics without thinking what the other two stars might be... :)

Vic

Lynnwood, WA

#18 Solnze

Solnze

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

Joe 

The link to your video please?

I did not see Regulus, but my camera did.

Here's https://c1.staticfli...89bc3b61e_o.png a frame from the video. The video itself is too bad to post, but this still is just slightly out of focus.smile.gif

Edited by Solnze, 23 August 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#19 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Apollo

• Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Southern Oklahoma

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

I first saw it easily in my 10x50 binos then, knowing just where, I could barely see it naked eye.  I also did not spend much time with it. 

Clear skies and clean glass,

Mike

• JHollJr likes this

#20 SteveRosenow

SteveRosenow

Apollo

• Loc: Shelton, Washington

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

I saw it vividly with the naked eye - even through smoke haze - in Madras. 

#21 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

I *think I saw it for a moment, but then lost sight and didn't want to waste totality focusing on finding stars. There's something in a snapshot I took with my phone camera but due to the quality of the image I'm leery its anything but an artifact. I did pick out both Venus and Jupiter.

#22 dan_hm

dan_hm

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

I saw it very clearly through binoculars and it showed up well in my exposures.  There's two other stars in some of my longer exposures too.

Edited by dan_hm, 23 August 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#23 astrobug

astrobug

Vostok 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:21 AM

Viewing from Madras, I saw Regulus in 10x50 binoculars & also naked eye. I forget how I first noticed it. I need to go back and listen to the voice recorder I had running for the whole event...I may have mentioned seeing it, but I probably didn't say how I saw it. I don't recall seeing Regulus through the telescope (100mm refractor at 23x, ~3 degree TFOV) but I was completely mesmerized by the telescopic view of the corona and prominences, so it may have been there near the edge and I completely failed to notice it. (The image was L-R reversed from the binoculars/naked eye view, and my brain didn't think about image orientation in the moment.)

Venus was obvious well before totality, my daughter actually pointed it out about 5 minutes before C2 and we all saw it easily. I was vaguely aware of Venus being in my peripheral vision with the naked eye during totality, but I was generally not looking in that direction.

I didn't notice any other stars or bright planets, but I'm guessing quite a few others could have been seen if I had had the mental capacity and/or motivation to look for them.

#24 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:00 AM

Joe 

The link to your video please?

I did not see Regulus, but my camera did.

Here's https://c1.staticfli...89bc3b61e_o.png a frame from the video. The video itself is too bad to post, but this still is just slightly out of focus.smile.gif

Still workin' on it.

#25 KevinS

KevinS

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

My camera picked up Regulus and I saw Mars during totality.

I don't remember seeing Venus which was 60 degrees away.

Maybe you can see Regulus to the left in this ultra compressed image

Attached File  35913251224_bc2c04c1a0_z.jpg   73.44KB   1 downloads

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics