•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pretty Deep Maps for EAA

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:18 AM

Just to mention that I got an email from Dropbox saying that on 1st September 2017 they are discontinuing the use of the Public folder mechanism which I've been using to host the Pretty Deep Maps mentioned in my sig (I guess they consider hosting websites via Dropbox to be some kind of unforeseen usage and hence are killing off the possibility?). Since the distribution is very large it may be some time before I find an alternative host so if anyone wants the charts it is best to download in the next 7 days! I do have a new version planned but since it involves a major rewrite in Python it is still some months away.

Thread on SGL about the maps

Martin

• ccs_hello, Ptarmigan, OleCuss and 6 others like this

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

Thank you so much!

Downloading now.

#3 pwang99

pwang99

Viking 1

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, Martin!  I'd like to figure out how to help - with either the hosting side or the Python side.  Pretty Deep Maps is fairly amazing, would love to do my part to contribute.  Just PM me or respond here.

#4 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Martin,

I find these maps very helpful would like to ensure these are available to others. I have an option for you. Just sent you a PM.

Hiten

#5 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

With Martin's permission I have created a public folder on Amazon drive where the complete archive of Pretty Deep Maps is available for download. Sorry for the cryptic URL but Amazon Drive does not seem to allow friendly URLs for sharing. I would suggest bookmarking it after access.

https://www.amazon.c...OUi6pFtOE3wVbIC

The zip files are by constellation organized into season and poles. There is also a folder which contains all the indices.

Since this is a paid account with some limitations I would recommend you download and keep the maps you need (rather than repeated downloads of the same file which creates more traffic and slower downloads for everyone).

Edited by Astrojedi, 24 August 2017 - 06:50 PM.

• ccs_hello, Ptarmigan, Don Rudny and 2 others like this

#6 devisger

devisger

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for all the hard work.

#7 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:10 AM

Thanks Hiten. I'll replace the current link in my sig with the Amazon one as soon as it expires.

Martin

#8 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:49 AM

Thanks Martin. Downloading the 'Southern Circumpolar' now  waytogo.gif

EDIT: Download failed undecided.gif

Edited by Dragon Man, 25 August 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#9 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

Ken,

Can you describe the error. Are you unable to access the file or does the download fail midway?

#10 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:21 AM

Ken,

Can you describe the error. Are you unable to access the file or does the download fail midway?

Hiten, the download failed after about 25 minutes of downloading it.

It just stopped and said 'Download Failed' or similar statement.

Never mind, I'll try again tomorrow when I am not as tired. It's currently 2:20am.  blink.png   sleepy.gif  

EDIT: I was using Martins original link, not your new Amazon one. Tomorrow I'll try yours  waytogo.gif

#11 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:43 AM

Ok great. Let me know if you have any issues.

#12 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

Thanks, Martin!  I'd like to figure out how to help - with either the hosting side or the Python side.  Pretty Deep Maps is fairly amazing, would love to do my part to contribute.  Just PM me or respond here.

Thanks for the offer on both counts. I'm still at the design phase and taking things slowly, trying things out (I want to generalise the chart production approach to various chart types/depths as I think there is an optimum type for each scope/camera combination). At some point I plan to release the code for further extensions. This is part of the reason for changing to Python from Matlab. Python also has much better support overall for scientific applications than Matlab nowadays. 

The things I anticipate taking most time are label placement/avoidance (at least half the code in the current version is dedicated to this) and coming up with a better stellar density representation for those parts of the sky where there are too many stars... When the GAIA data is cleaned up I hope some of the artefacts in the current version will disappear. One thing I fully support is a recent call for a community effort to produce outlines of nebulae, since this is a huge amount of work for one individual, and such data doesn't exist to my knowledge in the public domain. It is a bit of an ill-posed problem though, which is why I went for a raw-data-based approach of stellar density, but this only works (and then only up to a point) for dark nebulae.

Martin

#13 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

Ok great. Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks Hiten, all good now. Downloaded fine. 

Just have to work out how to use them lol.gif

#14 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:22 AM

Isn't AQR suppose to be in the Fall zip file?  I don't see it anywhere.  or am I blind?

#15 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

It certainly used to be in 'autumn' but looks to be a casualty of the recent move from dropbox. I've placed a copy temporarily here

https://www.dropbox....0f/AQR.zip?dl=0

until we sort it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Martin

#16 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

thanks Martin.  This is an amazing atlas. I love atlases and pretty much have owned almost all of them.  And I have downloaded and used all of the electronic ones as well (at least I think I have found them all). 

Things I love about it this atlas ...

- don't need an index map, each map has a listing of all Constellations that allow you to hyper-jump to it.

- from that jump to a new constellation, you can zoom in and pretty much get to exactly where you need to within 1 or 2 clicks

- you've incorporated a massive index of objects into the package with ability to jump from a specific object to the correct map with 1 click

- you've created a quick way to get from a map to any index of objects (for that map) right from the map

- you provide details about the fainter objects on an info line.  well done.  I never knew they made fonts that small (at 1st I thought they were artifacts)

- this system opens itself up to providing links to finder charts, more specific info data (even sheets), etc.

Outstanding and innovative work.  Well done.

• NMBob likes this

#17 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Dave! I have been planning an update for a while but another EAA project has got in the way for the moment...

Martin

#18 NMBob

NMBob

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:08 PM

This is crazy! I may be able to find stuff now! :)

PSC.zip, SCL.zip and TRI.zip in Autum are having trouble. The Download button (on Amazon) brings up something like Soo1yiXqzh9EbRai63Pl49DxP_bod_wqoux9UYpR-yYeJxFPc for the file to download. 102 bytes.

Thanks for this atlas!

Bob

#19 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Dave! I have been planning an update for a while but another EAA project has got in the way for the moment...

Martin

update?  what kind of changes?

#20 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

This is crazy! I may be able to find stuff now! smile.gif

PSC.zip, SCL.zip and TRI.zip in Autum are having trouble. The Download button (on Amazon) brings up something like Soo1yiXqzh9EbRai63Pl49DxP_bod_wqoux9UYpR-yYeJxFPc for the file to download. 102 bytes.

Thanks for this atlas!

Bob

Thanks for the notification. I'll look into it. 

#21 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

Martin

New & updated catalogues e.g. half-million quasars, weak galaxy groups (WBL), ... I have a list. In general I want to go fainter as the maps don't quite reach down to what we can achieve in EAA. Also some redoing of the Arp-Madore set as the visualisation of the members/groups could be improved. More stellar classifications from Brian Skiff's list. And.... GAIA! 

#22 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Martin

New & updated catalogues e.g. half-million quasars, weak galaxy groups (WBL), ... I have a list. In general I want to go fainter as the maps don't quite reach down to what we can achieve in EAA. Also some redoing of the Arp-Madore set as the visualisation of the members/groups could be improved. More stellar classifications from Brian Skiff's list. And.... GAIA! 

Wait. What?  GAIA?  Are you planning to use these atlases for interplanetary space travel?   :-)

#23 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

You can never have enough (well-positioned) stars ;-)

#24 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

whew, GAIA ...  part of thinks it would be cool

then there is the part of me that downloaded all of these large zip files

spent a good amount of time unzipping them into individual folders

then spent more time moving them into a single folder.

it could be that there was a much simpler and faster way to do this.

I have 7000 files in this folder, just over 8 GB. 

If I wanted to share with a friend, he/she would have to bring over a 16GB USB Thumb Drive

It'd be easy to transfer the files that way, and save the recipient a lot of time 

as well as reduce the data transfer on the AWS Cloud

16GB Thumb Drives are pretty cheap (est <$10)

32GB are not that much more

I am not asking you to offer the files on a USB

(I might be willing to do so if you would allow it, and not for a profit)

#25 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

No problems sharing the material any way you like as far as I'm concerned.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics