•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pretty Deep Maps for EAA

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

No problems sharing the material any way you like as far as I'm concerned.

thanks,  I think this would be a good thing to offer folks once you come out with a newer version (as it sounds like it will be a lot larger files sizes).

#27 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:42 PM

I copied all of the files from my Windows 10 laptop onto a USB Thumbdrive

put the Thumbdrive in my Windows 7 desktop, opened up File Explorer and

was able to click away jumping from one map to another with ease.

Super fast and loading up from a USB 2.0 port.  The files were not copied onto HDD.

On my W10 laptop, each new map that I click on I get a security warning asking me if if it is okay to proceed.  Anyone know how to turn this off?  It's annoying.

#28 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

Martin, thanks for all the work you did.  I am looking forward to using this with a large scope and EAA.

I am currently decompressing them - do all files go in one directory?

#29 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

Martin, thanks for all the work you did.  I am looking forward to using this with a large scope and EAA.

Hi Mike, allow me to answer your question .... yes

for me, when I unzipped all of the files (one for each constellation) it created a folder with the constellation name and then put the files in that.

I had to copy/move them out from within that folder into a common folder.

maybe there is a way to unzip the files without it making this folder ... didn't dig into that (probably should have being there are 88 constellations)

#30 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

for me, when I unzipped all of the files (one for each constellation) it created a folder with the constellation name and then put the files in that.

maybe there is a way to unzip the files without it making this folder ... didn't dig into that (probably should have being there are 88 constellations)

The way it was originally distributed was with the charts unzipped within the main zips (autumn etc) so the amount of unzipping/copying was limited to just a few zips. That has changed on the Amazon distribution. I think we need to change it back otherwise it is tedious to go thru constellation by constellation. I'm discussing with Astrojedi who is hosting the charts at present and will get back to you.

Martin

#31 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

I copied all of the files from my Windows 10 laptop onto a USB Thumbdrive

put the Thumbdrive in my Windows 7 desktop, opened up File Explorer and

was able to click away jumping from one map to another with ease.

Super fast and loading up from a USB 2.0 port.  The files were not copied onto HDD.

On my W10 laptop, each new map that I click on I get a security warning asking me if if it is okay to proceed.  Anyone know how to turn this off?  It's annoying.

It sounds very annoying. I never go near Windows so can't offer any help but it must be possible. I've noticed highly-variable handling of hyperlinks in pdfs on the Mac/iPad too. The older versions of Acrobat Reader (as opposed to DC) work best. 

#32 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

As a follow up to the original procedure or steps I took to unzip all of these files ...

I knew there had to be a better/faster way ... and there is.

I used the unzipping utility built into File Explorer (Windows 10)

don't use it, it does not give you the options you need.

Instead download and install 7-Zip from http://www.7-zip.org/

After installing 7-Zip, it will appear as an option to unzip files when you bring up File Explorer and right click on a zip file

the key is to select the main folder you want all files to go into

uncheck the box that specifies the path

select "no pathnames" in the box below

That seemed to work for me on a first pass of initial testing.

#33 Dave Ittner

Dave Ittner

Messenger

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

The way it was originally distributed was with the charts unzipped within the main zips (autumn etc) so the amount of unzipping/copying was limited to just a few zips. That has changed on the Amazon distribution. I think we need to change it back otherwise it is tedious to go thru constellation by constellation. I'm discussing with Astrojedi who is hosting the charts at present and will get back to you.

Martin

How about 1 master file for each section of the sky, with all of the PDFs for all of the constellations in that file (no subfolders) ?

That would be 7 files (6 for the sections of the sky and 1 for the Indexes)

#34 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Gemini

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

This is crazy! I may be able to find stuff now! :)

PSC.zip, SCL.zip and TRI.zip in Autum are having trouble. The Download button (on Amazon) brings up something like Soo1yiXqzh9EbRai63Pl49DxP_bod_wqoux9UYpR-yYeJxFPc for the file to download. 102 bytes.

Thanks for this atlas!

Bob

Bob,
I check the shared link and these work fine for me.
Hiten

#35 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:11 PM

After unzipping each main folder ("Autumn.zip", etc.) into a new folder with the same name ("Autumn"), I could then select all of the zipped folders (constellations) within it, right click, and select the option for 7-Zip (think that's freeware) to unzip them into the same directory.  (Edit - just saw 7-Zip was mentioned above, I missed that when I wrote this message.)

Then I simply deleted the zipped constellation folders after the new non-compressed ones were created.

It was a little bit annoying, but worth it for the information contained.

I am still not sure if the contents of the "Indices" folder should remain there, or if they should be moved to a common directory containing everything.

Edited by Mike Lockwood, 12 January 2018 - 02:17 PM.

#36 NMBob

NMBob

Apollo

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

This is crazy! I may be able to find stuff now! smile.gif

PSC.zip, SCL.zip and TRI.zip in Autum are having trouble. The Download button (on Amazon) brings up something like Soo1yiXqzh9EbRai63Pl49DxP_bod_wqoux9UYpR-yYeJxFPc for the file to download. 102 bytes.

Thanks for this atlas!

Bob

Bob,
I check the shared link and these work fine for me.
Hiten

This may have been fixed later in the day? The Download button worked fine for me a couple hours later. Those three were the only Download buttons that didn't initially work. Was using Safari. ???

Thanks!

#37 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

After unzipping each main folder ("Autumn.zip", etc.) into a new folder with the same name ("Autumn"), I could then select all of the zipped folders (constellations) within it, right click, and select the option for 7-Zip (think that's freeware) to unzip them into the same directory.  (Edit - just saw 7-Zip was mentioned above, I missed that when I wrote this message.)

Then I simply deleted the zipped constellation folders after the new non-compressed ones were created.

It was a little bit annoying, but worth it for the information contained.

I am still not sure if the contents of the "Indices" folder should remain there, or if they should be moved to a common directory containing everything.

Yes, the indices should be unzipped and placed in with the 6000+ charts...

I'm not sure why I did it this way. It might have been more sensible to use a subfolder structure. Something for the next iteration.

#38 Cathal

Cathal

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ireland, land of mist and cloud..

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

I can assist with the hosting of this if needed - PM me for details.

As long as it is non-commercial, no problem.

#39 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:05 PM

I'm just hoping that this effort is still continuing.  Very worthwhile IMHO.

#40 Don Rudny

Don Rudny

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mauna Kea, Hawaii

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:59 PM

I'm just hoping that this effort is still continuing.  Very worthwhile IMHO.

I don’t believe Martin posts here anymore, but I think he is continuing his efforts on the pretty deep maps for EAA as well as his efforts to develop some very interesting EAA software.  He does post on SGL if anyone is interested.  Here’s a recent post of his.  Martin is a master at EAA viewing and discussing really deep deep sky objects.  He was the one that got me onto the Hickson Compact Groups (clusters of galaxies).

https://stargazerslo...c-4449-quasars/

Edited by Don Rudny, 25 March 2019 - 03:33 AM.

• OleCuss and Art_NW AZ like this

#41 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:50 AM

Thank you.

I do hope that someone will let us know if/when he releases an update.  The value is significant.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics