•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO 290mm Mini Guidecam - Beta Test Thread

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#101 kingjamez

kingjamez

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfax, VA

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

I've been using my 290mini for the last couple of nights. What a huge improvement over my previous QHY-5L clone. I've now got much higher SNR, dramatically more sensitivity, and better reliability. My use so far is statistically insignificant, but that said, since going over my average RMS error has dropped by about 0.10"... don't know if that's guide camera or seeing, but I'm not complaining.

-Jim

#102 nightfly85

nightfly85

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

I am shooting my new 290MM at my ceiling (just got it) and I see what's in the first image; is that normal for the the 290MM?

Using my previous Celestron guide cam - it worked like a 'normal' video cam mostly and I never saw images like in the first pic.

A snap of the camera in its lens cap is second; w/ gain cranked up. Image looks ok there.

I was thinking the first image artifacts may be due to lighting frequency. I've seen this sort of thing before on cameras that don't correct for that - and there's no reason the 290mm would. I assumed it was a valid test due to the instructions which had a quite clear pic of some brightly light ceiling.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture_0001.png
  • Capture_0001.png

Edited by nightfly85, 21 October 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#103 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

I think your best bet is to point it at some stars and try.  Your exposures inside might be so fast that it is capturing the oscillations of the light source. 

• mikefulb, darkstar3d and premk19 like this

#104 nightfly85

nightfly85

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

I am shooting my new 290MM at my ceiling (just got it) and I see what's in the first image; is that normal for the the 290MM?

Using my previous Celestron guide cam - it worked like a 'normal' video cam mostly and I never saw images like in the first pic.

A snap of the camera in its lens cap is second; w/ gain cranked up. Image looks ok there.

I was thinking the first image artifacts may be due to lighting frequency. I've seen this sort of thing before on cameras that don't correct for that - and there's no reason the 290mm would. I assumed it was a valid test due to the instructions which had a quite clear pic of some brightly light ceiling.

Doing some trouble shooting - I have 3 Led based lamps in my office. I used sharp cap to stream video and turned off one lamp at a time. I observed that with each lamp turning off the image cleared up some to the point where they were all off with just sunlight in the room and the image cleared up.

So that would indicate the camera is ok.

#105 nightfly85

nightfly85

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

I think your best bet is to point it at some stars and try.  Your exposures inside might be so fast that it is capturing the oscillations of the light source. 

That's precisely the issue.

BTW, I ordered directly from ZWO on a Sunday and got the package from China on Thursday. No tax, no shipping charges.

Edited by nightfly85, 21 October 2017 - 02:27 PM.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#106 robbeh

robbeh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Hi,

I‘m excitedly following the discussion and I wish the mini-series would be available here in Europe, yet. Could someone please post a photograph of the 290 with the M28.5-CS adapter accessory mounted in front of the sensor? The perspectives that were chosen in the first two images Chris posted in this thread would help me a lot. Thanks.

Robert

Edited by robbeh, 22 October 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#107 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

I‘m excitedly following the discussion and I wish the mini-series would be available here in Europe, yet. Could someone please post a photograph of the 290 with the M28.5-CS adapter accessory mounted in front of the sensor? The perspectives that were chosen in the first two images Chris posted in this thread would help me a lot. Thanks.

Robert

Robert,

Why can't you order directly from ZWO?  The are available on their website.

I always buy my stuff direct, and I receive it within 2 to three days all the way from China.

#108 robbeh

robbeh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Because of the domestic consumer protection laws here, I always prefer ordering in my country.

#109 Robert York

Robert York

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Near Dallas, TX

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

Because of the domestic consumer protection laws here, I always prefer ordering in my country.

Must be nice! With the lack of much consumer protection in the US, it's safer to order from China. Pretty sad. However, I ordered from OPT and it finally shipped. Arrives today.

#110 glend

glend

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Your in the EU? Contact Teleskop-Express, they carry ZWO cameras and should be able to get you a 290 mini. And you will get to pay the the 19% VAT. Cheaper to buy direct from ZWO for you. Can't see what your affraid of, ZWO is a global direct seller and to my knowledge have ptovided excellent service, including replacements if required. Email Sam ar ZWO if your concerned.

Edited by glend, 31 October 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#111 robbeh

robbeh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

glend, that´s exactly what I did yesterday, I ordered at Teleskop-Express, they have it in stock since a few days. That´s also my local dealer here.

I am not concerned about buying in other countries but it is always good to know that you can send any item back within 14 days after delivery if it does not not fit your needs. Provided you did not damage the item in any way. Nevertheless, I do not make use of this very often. But here, my concern is if i can reach focus with ASI290 in conjunction with my OAG. Thats why I kindly asked for a photograph of the front section with the CS adapter mounted.

#112 nightfly85

nightfly85

Vostok 1

• Vendors

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

Finally got a chance to check the 290mm against the sky and all is well. In one test, I had Rigel in the frame and it was so bright I was getting pure white frames - had to crank the exposure down to 0.2sec to get a dark background and stars to show.

Did a bad-pixel map in PHD2 and had 156 hot pixels and 50 cold pixels.

• ChrisWhite likes this

#113 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

Finally got a chance to check the 290mm against the sky and all is well. In one test, I had Rigel in the frame and it was so bright I was getting pure white frames - had to crank the exposure down to 0.2sec to get a dark background and stars to show.

Did a bad-pixel map in PHD2 and had 156 hot pixels and 50 cold pixels.

Thats great to hear!  Glad it worked out.  I'm using an OAG with mine (400mm focal length and 800mm) and I found that binning actually helped my guiding performance.  You might give it a try to see if it helps you. 

#114 Greg F

Greg F

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Clover, SC

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Help please. .

I am very new to astrophotography and really don't understand all that i read here so am reaching out for some help/advise.

Currently I have a ZWO ASI1600MM Cool using for DSO on a Televue NP101is on a MyT mount. Would like to do longer exposures so I got a ZWO OAG and attached my ASI224 for guiding purposes using TheSkyX. The OAG seems very unstable and wobbly and was a bear to focus the ASI224 so i have read this thread with great interest. I was looking at a loadstar until this thread. Question which guide camera, the 290 or 174 would be best for my setup?

Also has anyone else had a problem with the OAG stalk not being very secure . I have tightened the thumbscrew and small screw as much as possible. I did read about adding scotch tape but I question when i have spent a couple grand with ZWO and the answer is apply scotch tape to the stalk before inserting.

#115 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

Help please. .

I am very new to astrophotography and really don't understand all that i read here so am reaching out for some help/advise.

Currently I have a ZWO ASI1600MM Cool using for DSO on a Televue NP101is on a MyT mount. Would like to do longer exposures so I got a ZWO OAG and attached my ASI224 for guiding purposes using TheSkyX. The OAG seems very unstable and wobbly and was a bear to focus the ASI224 so i have read this thread with great interest. I was looking at a loadstar until this thread. Question which guide camera, the 290 or 174 would be best for my setup?

Also has anyone else had a problem with the OAG stalk not being very secure . I have tightened the thumbscrew and small screw as much as possible. I did read about adding scotch tape but I question when i have spent a couple grand with ZWO and the answer is apply scotch tape to the stalk before inserting.

Greg,

I think that getting a guidecam that has a 1.25" body will greatly help you with your issues, whether that is a ZWO or Lodestar, etc... 

Essentially, you will be able to set your prism stalk where you want it, so that it only intrudes into the optical train enough to see stars, but not so far enough that it causes excessive shading over the sensor of your imaging camera.  Then you will be able to slide the OAG base all the way down the prism stalk so that it contacts the OAG body.  This will add plenty of stability to the setup without the need for "tape" fixes.  Then you will be able to simply slide the guidecamera in and out of the 1.25" barrel adapter to achieve focus.

Even if you don't eliminate all of the "wiggle" in the prism stalk, things are secure and it does not not seem to have a negative impact on guiding. 

As far as which guidecamera?  I have the 290 and I use this with both an 8" newt as well as an 80mm refractor, both with OAG.  It is extremely sensitive and I always have plenty of guidestars.  My longest focal length is 800mm.  If you image at much longer focal length, you might like the larger sensor of the 174. 

• dswtan and dapalmer like this

#116 Greg F

Greg F

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:25 AM

Thank you Chris, those were my thoughts as well and why i was looking at a 1.25" body. The 290 from your previous discussion on this thread does indeed sound like the camera I need for my setup. Perhaps the 174 would be better suited for my 8" SCT or future 11". Guess I will go ahead with the  290. Thank you again for your input.

Greg

#117 Greg F

Greg F

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:42 PM

Well i went ahead and got the 290 hooked everything up and TheSkyX doesn't seem to see it. It had no problem with 224 but it does not even list the 290 either under Ascom or ZWO . My 1600 still shows. Any thoughts?

#118 Greg F

Greg F

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:43 PM

It is listed in the device manager in windows along with the 1600

#119 Greg F

Greg F

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:48 PM

Disregard last 2 posts. I found a separate setup for TheSkyX on the provided CD. All is working.

#120 jscivally

jscivally

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, Nevada, USA

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

Hello, do you think the ZWO ASI 290 mini will work on a my Celestron 80 mm guide scope that is attached to my SE8 for guiding purposes.

#121 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

• Loc: NY

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:56 AM

Hello good people, can anyone confirm the following for the 290 mini:

- has anti amp glow suppression (if yes, when does it kick in?)
- has a software temperature readout for the sensor (i.e. to view in sharpcap, firecap) like it's bigger brethren

I'm interested in using the 290 for EAA.

Many thanks
Minos

#122 Organic Astrochemist

Organic Astrochemist

Viking 1

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

Like Sam says, one of the great features of this camera is the smiling face smile.gif

From the ZWO website

Smiling Face
The back of ASI mini camera is like a smiling face, it’s mouth is Type C USB port, which is widely used in mobile phones. And it’s nose is ST4 port, for guiding. Every time, you use mini camera, there always will be a smiley face stay with you in the dark nights.

It certainly looks happy (and guides well) on my telescope.

F8FB865B-0376-43D4-A4C2-A86FEDF5A377.jpeg

Ive used my ASI178 with 2.4 um pixels to guide, so I’m not afraid of small pixels.

#123 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

Has anyone used either of these ZWO minis for lunar imaging? Or planetary? I know USB-2 would be a slight disadvantage ... but apart from that, anything else? Also, will these minis work with ZWO's filter wheels? If so, would any special adapters be needed?

Also, since the form factor is the same, would anyone know how it would compare with QHY5III-178M as a guide camera? That camera has USB-3 too, and I've seen some great lunar images taken with the colour version, QHY5III-178C.

Edited by BeltofOrion, 28 February 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#124 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

We used to take respectable lunar images at 10fps I'd hope you could with these cameras.

Edited by mikefulb, 28 February 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#125 suvowner

suvowner

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:26 AM

asi290 vs asi120 mini ??

since both the mini 120 and 290 have bout 80% quantum efficiency wouldn't the larger 3.75micron pixels of the 120 pick uo fainter stars than the 2.9micron pixels of the 290 ?

the read noise on the 290 is better, 1.0e vs the 4.0e , would the lower read noise help you much in guiding over the larger pixel size of the 120 ??

thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics